• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F-Air Pillaring: Make Mii Brawler like Melee Falco

T0MMY

Smash Master
So I didn't see anyone mention this, and I could have posted this long ago, but I am always have a stack of Smash work I am trying to get done so things have to go on back burner sometimes.
I was hoping to showcase this off in Finals at the Northwest Regionals this past December 20th, but the Smash 4 event turned out to be what people called a "debacle": I got Disqualified for playing Mii!
Want to hear the ridiculous story to that?
Ok, here:
The rules did not say Mii was banned (and still do not), but sometime the night before the tournament one of the organizers decided to make a last-minute rule (which coincidentally happened after I confirmed to attend). When I was there I chose my character and the TO stomps up to me and yells at me very unprofessionally, so I go talk to the director of the tournament who seemed way too busy to care about anything and doesn't make any decisions. To make a rule that basically prevents me (and others) from playing the game in such a last-minute fashion was beyond unprofessional and I asked why they did this but no reason followed (I was given some excuses like Apex banned Mii, which was untrue); I demonstrated that they had no reason to ban the character (no attendee wanted such a thing and it was unwarranted) they offered me my money back but I refused and went and played my character and allowed the TO to make the decision to DQ me or not for playing a game that cost almost $50 to enter and traveled about 400 miles to play.
The TO DQ'd me.

Without any further ado, the F-Air pillaring technique.
This technique is a way to "pillar" combo characters similar to that of Falco in Melee (in that game Falco can pop opponents up into the air with launching attacks such as U-Tilt, Shine, U-Air, or U-Smash and send them crashing back down with D-Air to repeat an rise/fall motion nicknamed "pillaring").
The way the Mii Brawler does this is with different moves (involving mostly the Forward Air Attack) a little more limited, but a lot of fun and opens up a new style of play.

Mechanics

The Forward Air Attack (F-Air) has two distinct hits. The first hit has a hitbox property that sends opponents downward in order to link into the second hit which knocks the opponent away. But with some tricky setups and execution you can actually cancel out the second hit with a landing-cancel (stops the animation and thus hitbox of an attack due to the character landing on a floor like the Stage or a Platform) and therefore retain just the property of the downward trajectory found with just the first hitbox.

Setups
The best way I found to set up this technique is out of a Grab. When an opponent is at low damage a Down Throw Attack (D-Throw) will put them just within range that a Low Jump will put you into position for a first-hit F-Air at the top of your jump where you can Fast-fall into a landing cancel.
This will put you and your opponent back onto the ground with you having a nice frame advantage due to their hitstun if you do this properly.

The Pillar
Since you and your opponent have now reached the floor again, you are once again in prime position to grab them and set it up all over again. Go for it. Grab, D-Throw, first-hit F-Air, Fast-fall. You are now Pillaring.

Limitations
This technique works much better on fatties who tend to fall quickly. Characters like King Dedede, Ganondorf, and Bowser will hate you for this. But lighter and "floatier" characters will not care so much, for them just go ahead and get one or two pillar combos off and send them off with another F-air double-hit or string some U-airs on them into a finisher.
Also you will notice that anything past mid % damage and even the heavy fast-fallers will be going a little too high to follow up properly.
Additionally, 50% and beyond the opponent will have a "hard knockdown" where they will have an opportunity to "tech" (or pop themselves up off the floor when they hit with an optional roll away). So limiting this pillaring to about 40-ish % damage is about where you're going to go with this.
But fear not about these limitations because when they crop up most of the time they will give you plenty of opportunity to move in with D-tilts, U-tilts, U-Airs and further followups where you can finish off an opponent in a satisfying way (I personally rock the Piston Punch). Additionally, even if your opponent escapes there are good opportunities to get some reads in and continue putting some pain on your opponent who is most likely in a tizzy over your Pro Skillz.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I didn't see anyone mention this, and I could have posted this long ago, but I am always have a stack of Smash work I am trying to get done so things have to go on back burner sometimes.
I was hoping to showcase this off in Finals at the Northwest Regionals this past December 20th, but the Smash 4 event turned out to be what people called a "debacle": I got Disqualified for playing Mii!
Want to hear the ridiculous story to that?
Ok, here:
The rules did not say Mii was banned (and still do not), but sometime the night before the tournament one of the organizers decided to make a last-minute rule (which coincidentally happened after I confirmed to attend). When I was there I chose my character and the TO stomps up to me and yells at me very unprofessionally, so I go talk to the director of the tournament who seemed way too busy to care about anything and doesn't make any decisions. To make a rule that basically prevents me (and others) from playing the game in such a last-minute fashion was beyond unprofessional and I asked why they did this but no reason followed (I was given some excuses like Apex banned Mii, which was untrue); I demonstrated that they had no reason to ban the character (no attendee wanted such a thing and it was unwarranted) they offered me my money back but I refused and went and played my character and allowed the TO to make the decision to DQ me or not for playing a game that cost almost $50 to enter and traveled about 400 miles to play.
The TO DQ'd me.
Well actually, a tiny bit ago APEX decided to revert those rules, and now have gone back to officially limiting Mii Fighters to 1111. I was at the middle of a tournament myself where Mii Fighters were allowed to use 1111, 2222, and 3333. But after doubles top players started to complain and pointed that the rules were now switched again, so my loadout was banned for Singles at that very event. I got my refunds and left. It's sad how it worked out like that.

Anyways, me and Vex came over this strat last weekend, its really handy, definitely makes F-air much better than it already was.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That Mii ban is absurd. I can't believe it has actually gotten to this point :\ I really hope it doesn't last.

I should try this out, never even imagined such a thing would be possible (reminds me of Falcon's FHNair shenanigans).

T0MMY

Smash Master
I know not really the thread to talk about it, but why a TO would want to ban a character doesn't make any sense since they are essentially asking the attendees who use that character not to come to their tournament. It's exactly the opposite mentality that a TO has where they would want to bring more people to their event.
Understandable if allowing the character would make more attendees not come, but that was a possible case for Meta Knight in Brawl and yet that went by relatively allowed in most places.
The only thing that needs to be "reverted" for Apex is the ridiculous limit they are placing on the character.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
Mii Brawlers should truly be allowed at any tournament without these super strict rules that nerf the character to bottom tier, even with mii fighters best layout he is still trumped by the likes of Diddy, Sheik, Yoshi and ZSS imo. TO's really need to change their tune. as for fair pillaring its a really solid technique that can lead into other grabs, using fair pillaring and grabs I was able to 0 to death a fox with hard reads.

Top Bottom