• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Nothing wrong with how he sounded in Melee. I'd be happy if the just did an updated version of that or even recycled some of it :)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I would love the origins cries he makes. I just finished watching all four pokemon origins episodes and Mewtwo was the best part of it. However, I would love having him talk like in the first movie. If they could do Melee + 1st movie voice impersonation + more talking + English voice acting I would be so hyped. However, if they just had Japanese voice acting and put it on the English version I would have 10x the hype.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'd rather have a VA that could easily replicate Mewtwo's deep movie voice. This time with him talking in the English version.
THIS! I took a second and tried to imagine what that would be like.. woah. With that echoey dark voice. Some of the cries he does in the Origin fight could be cool too, as others have suggested. Like the first roar he makes at the beginning of the battle, it was very elephant-Jurassic Park-like. Not sure about the whinier cries, sounds a bit odd. I'd definitely be excited to hear him with the movie voice and maybe some revamped Melee noises (like the laugh.) The first movie, of course, not the Mewtwo in the 16th movie who sounded like a little boy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'd be for the spoon. It may handle similarly to a sword, but at least it's not a sword. :d

Continuing this tangent from a few pages ago, it appears Mewtwo has all three of his forms available in that Pokemon Art Academy to draw. His original and Mega Y forms are unlocked after completing their courses, but the Mega X form is unlocked only after you complete absolutely everything. Not even Arceus needs everything finished to unlock his drawing. The only other Pokemon who need this requirement are Xerneas and Yveltal, the two main mascots of Pokemon X & Y.

Just thought it was interesting~

Mewtwo X confirmed for ultimate lifeform, both physically and mentally/psychically.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
THIS! I took a second and tried to imagine what that would be like.. woah. With that echoey dark voice. Some of the cries he does in the Origin fight could be cool too, as others have suggested. Like the first roar he makes at the beginning of the battle, it was very elephant-Jurassic Park-like. Not sure about the whinier cries, sounds a bit odd. I'd definitely be excited to hear him with the movie voice and maybe some revamped Melee noises (like the laugh.) The first movie, of course, not the Mewtwo in the 16th movie who sounded like a little boy.
Mewtwo MUST keep his laugh. Don't let me down Sakurai!

zombieRabbidz

Smash Journeyman
He still has a strong chance of being in but maybe as a secret character.
He recently appered in pokemon origins
He also has 2 mega evolutions like charizard who would of also been put in for that reason
And he is going to star in upcoming pokemon movie with gensect (correct me if im wrong and its already been releases)

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
First off I want to commemorate all of you for your undying admiration to this character while the dojo, miiverse and almost all of youtube gave up.

Secondly, I want to thank you for clearing the doubt from the back of my mind that Mewtwo won't get in in some form. Recently I've tried to re-light the Mewtwo spark in youtube, and almost lost my faith. thanks for renewal. willing to support and help in any way possible!

Steelia

Smash Champion
First off I want to commemorate all of you for your undying admiration to this character while the dojo, miiverse and almost all of youtube gave up.

Secondly, I want to thank you for clearing the doubt from the back of my mind that Mewtwo won't get in in some form. Recently I've tried to re-light the Mewtwo spark in youtube, and almost lost my faith. thanks for renewal. willing to support and help in any way possible!
Just speaking personally, I'm extremely confident Mewtwo will appear on the roster, whether it be as a secret character or as DLC. There's hardly anything going against him. Game Freak revived him and has included him more and more frequently in their merchandising, giving him final boss roles among other things.

Almost every news outlet I read reviewing SSBB from its release onward listed Mewtwo's cut as a con, and so many people want him back. I just can't see why Game Freak/Sakurai would pass him up. There's no SSE to work on this time around, and the big 3rd party chars have been revealed (and presumably taken care of legally). It feels like only a matter of time. But more support never hurts. :)

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Just speaking personally, I'm extremely confident Mewtwo will appear on the roster, whether it be as a secret character or as DLC. There's hardly anything going against him. Game Freak revived him and has included him more and more frequently in their merchandising, giving him final boss roles among other things.

Almost every news outlet I read reviewing SSBB from its release onward listed Mewtwo's cut as a con, and so many people want him back. I just can't see why Game Freak/Sakurai would pass him up. There's no SSE to work on this time around, and the big 3rd party chars have been revealed (and presumably taken care of legally). It feels like only a matter of time. But more support never hurts. :)
This, so much.
I feel like this needs to be emphasized upon a lot. SSE took up quite a lot of space and time (not dimensions though) and without that in 4, more emphasis can be put on all of the rest of the things. Including characters. Including Mewtwo.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yeah no SSE helps a lot,since Brawl was about 8GB.SSE was about 3.3GB of Brawl.So that's over 1/3rd the space in the game along with a team of people from Namco who make many fighters we have almost 0 worries.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just a daily reminder that Sal Leak is real and Mewtwo fits perfectly into it.
If we get Brawl - Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas, Sal Leak + Rosalina, and Mewtwo, that's a 48 slot roster.
Factor in that Sakurai considers Miis 3 separate characters (albeit one slot) and that's 50 characters.
48 slots, 50 characters. The perfect number.

I'm really confident in Mewtwo's return. Popular characters have been left out of Smash before, but there's a difference between popular characters and the most popular character.

If Mewtwo doesn't come back I'll consider it one of the worst decisions that Sakurai has made in his career.
A character shouldn't be left out because of the stupid "slot rule".
And we all know that would be the only reason he doesn't make it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just a daily reminder that Sal Leak is real and Mewtwo fits perfectly into it.
If we get Brawl - Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas, Sal Leak + Rosalina, and Mewtwo, that's a 48 slot roster.
Factor in that Sakurai considers Miis 3 separate characters (albeit one slot) and that's 50 characters.
48 slots, 50 characters. The perfect number.

I'm really confident in Mewtwo's return. Popular characters have been left out of Smash before, but there's a difference between popular characters and the most popular character.

If Mewtwo doesn't come back I'll consider it one of the worst decisions that Sakurai has made in his career.
A character shouldn't be left out because of the stupid "slot rule".
And we all know that would be the only reason he doesn't make it.
Well if lucas is cut

Exclude him from this and its probably a good roster guess.

(Ps R H rep is the chorus men.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley still doesn't cut it for me honestly. I still view a Zelda newcomer as far more likely than a Metroid newcomer.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well if lucas is cut

Exclude him from this and its probably a good roster guess.

(Ps R H rep is the chorus men.)
I mean really, I just want Mewtwo, but Ridley would be a cool addition, though that whole stage hazard thing... don't wanna get into that in a Mewtwo discussion lol. But second to Mewtwo, I'd either main Ridely or a revamped Ganondorf that's not a Falcondorf. Hopefully both happens but as long as Mewtwo's in there, I'd be happy with this roster and would try out each one. I wish Sakurai would tease something regarding Mewtwo as a playable character soon...

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
I wish Sakurai would tease something regarding Mewtwo as a playable character soon...
imo, as the saying goes, "no news is good news." I'm actually very grateful Sakurai hasn't messed around with the heads of Mewtwo supporters, just look what he's doing to the Ridley fans! Or what he did when he pulled Psuedo-Palutena during the Smash direct. If he were to hint at Mewtwo, it'd be through unpredictable grade-A trolling.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
imo, as the saying goes, "no news is good news." I'm actually very grateful Sakurai hasn't messed around with the heads of Mewtwo supporters, just look what he's doing to the Ridley fans! Or what he did when he pulled Psuedo-Palutena during the Smash direct. If he were to hint at Mewtwo, it'd be through unpredictable grade-A trolling.
Does the Greninja trailer count as messing with our heads?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Does the Greninja trailer count as messing with our heads?
ooo, kind of forgot about that :p
Someone posted a great observational image about all the features Greninja was missing in his silhouette prior to his reveal (that interestingly made him look closer to Mewtwo), such as the webbing on his hands, his tail triangle, and his arms looking thicker. I can't find that image, so have this one instead:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
ooo, kind of forgot about that :p
Someone posted a great observational image about all the features Greninja was missing in his silhouette prior to his reveal (that interestingly made him look closer to Mewtwo), such as the webbing on his hands, his tail triangle, and his arms looking thicker. I can't find that image, so have this one instead:

Yeah, I do think that was intentional. The silhouette we see in the beginning lacked most of the characteristics that would have made it clear that it was Greninja, or rather, that it wasn't Mewtwo. The webbing between his fingers was removed, his fingers lack the circular tips, his fins are missing, and his iconic tongue scarf is only visible in a way that it could be (and was) easily confused with Mewtwo's chest.

So I think that would count as "messing with out heads."

Mr. Pancake

Smash Rookie
As much as I want Mewtwo in the next Smash, I'm not getting my hopes up. I mean, the maximum for each franchise (previously) was 4 characters. Pikachu + Lucario + Charizard + Greninja = 4. Unless, of course, Rosalina is considered part of the Super Mario franchise, in which case that rule would have already been broken with Mario + Bowser + Luigi + Peach + Rosalina = 5. I'm just not getting my hopes too high, that's all.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As much as I want Mewtwo in the next Smash, I'm not getting my hopes up. I mean, the maximum for each franchise (previously) was 4 characters. Pikachu + Lucario + Charizard + Greninja = 4. Unless, of course, Rosalina is considered part of the Super Mario franchise, in which case that rule would have already been broken.
...Is there any reason whatsoever that Rosalina, a Mario character who is treated as such in Smash, would not count as part of the Super Mario franchise?

Steelia

Smash Champion
As much as I want Mewtwo in the next Smash, I'm not getting my hopes up. I mean, the maximum for each franchise (previously) was 4 characters.

As for Rosalina, she uses the Mario franchise icon (the mushroom), so she's definitely considered a Mario series character.

Nice try, though. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
As much as I want Mewtwo in the next Smash, I'm not getting my hopes up. I mean, the maximum for each franchise (previously) was 4 characters. Pikachu + Lucario + Charizard + Greninja = 4. Unless, of course, Rosalina is considered part of the Super Mario franchise, in which case that rule would have already been broken with Mario + Bowser + Luigi + Peach + Rosalina = 5. I'm just not getting my hopes too high, that's all.
The arbitrary assumption that there is a maximum is unfounded; secondly, the "maximum" a franchise was to receive was ironically Pokemon with 7 characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How easy/hard do you guys think Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would be to unlock?
I would think Jigglypuff would be easy to unlock this time around, as she is traditionally. Mewtwo would probably be somewhat difficult to unlock. Though hopefully his unlocking method isn't as tedious as his Melee unlocking method (though leaving my Gamecube on overnight to unlock him was totally worth it).

Morbi

Scavenger
I would also like to add that the proportion of the Pokemon roster is severely underestimated. For instance; we were to receive 7/40 Pokemon in Brawl. However, many are presuming Pokemon to be capped at 5 in a roster that will approximate 50. This would enable Pokemon to claim 1/10th of the roster whereas they are entitled to much more (17.5%) as evidenced by precedent. This is assuming that the amount of characters is stagnant, I might remind you. However, it is much more simple to just assume that we will have the same number of representatives as Brawl.

Basically, I am asserting that Occam's Razor applies to this scenario.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Haha the webbed thing is interesting. I can't remember what was going through my mind during that trailer, but I don't think I thought it was Mewtwo.

And no, no cutting Lucas Smashoperatingbuddy lol.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
What the hell would you count Rosalina despite having the mushroom logo as, then!?

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Am I the only person who thinks the webbing is also part of the shadow? >_>
No. At first I thought that the webbing was removed entirely but if you look close enough it's still there, just shadowed and very hard to see. Definitely made to look like Mewtwo's hands though and still a very obvious troll move by Sakurai.

I know Greninja is a 'ninja' and ninja's are stealthy, but still...

I wasn't fooled into thinking it was Mewtwo though. Mewtwo silhouette looks nothing like that.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
No. At first I thought that the webbing was removed entirely but if you look close enough it's still there, just shadowed and very hard to see. Definitely made to look like Mewtwo's hands though and still a very obvious troll move by Sakurai.

I know Greninja is a 'ninja' and ninja's are stealthy, but still...

I wasn't fooled into thinking it was Mewtwo though. Mewtwo silhouette looks nothing like that.
I was, for a few seconds. Up until he made that hand sign/mudra and I was like, Mewtwo doesn't do that ninja stuff.. but I went into denial mode because he started powering up what could have been a shadow ball, then it cut out. The next scene showed that it started forming a shuriken and that's when I was like.... F************CK D*MN IT! SAKURAI!! I'd like to think it's intentional - I mean he should know about the Mewtwo demand right? So that's a good sign I guess. If he really did have that all planned out, man, this guy is the master of trolling (not that I've seen too many other big trolls from him, I just know it's part of his reputation.) If only those Mewtwo screenshots were real :|

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, in regards to Greninja's reveal trailer, I've noticed that he's the only newcomer thus far who's physical properties were changed for the purpose of hiding his identity, up until he "makes a splash." Other newcomers have either been shown directly or initially appeared in a slightly less traditional appearance (Little Mac and Mega Man: the former wore his pink training outfit initially, and the latter did not initially have his helmet on. Even so, they were recognizable by fans). Greninja is the only one who's physical properties were changed prior to his official reveal, to the point where fans could not recognize him when he first appeared. In addition, the changes made to Greninja made him look like another character who was widely requested (that of course being Mewtwo), and as such, many people assumed Greninja to be Mewtwo at first glance.

I find it interesting that Greninja is the only newcomer that this has happened to, and that the changes made to his appearance ended up being a sort of tease to all the fans who wanted the character he briefly resembled. I'm not sure if it means much, but I suppose it's something to consider.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
That all depends on Sakurai's intentions. It's possible that it could be a coincidence (since ninjas just love the shadows), though it's more likely that it isn't, given the obscurity. And if it isn't, then we can assume that Sakurai has something in store for Mewtwo.

One of my main sources of hope is, as most of you in this thread probably know, is when Sakurai said he was considering Mewtwo for Smash 4 during E3 2013. By then he supposedly already planned Greninja for the game, and I assume Lucario as well. So I'd like to take that as he knows that there's a demand for Mewtwo. That, plus the trailer troll, then it seems like he's saying something. But again, could just all be a coincidence. Don't wanna read between the lines now.

Last edited:

Mr. Pancake

Smash Rookie
...Is there any reason whatsoever that Rosalina, a Mario character who is treated as such in Smash, would not count as part of the Super Mario franchise?
Lol, true. I didn't see that.

As for Rosalina, she uses the Mario franchise icon (the mushroom), so she's definitely considered a Mario series character.

Nice try, though. :p
Also true. I completely forgot about Dr. Mario (Brawl and 4th Gen brain :p)

The arbitrary assumption that there is a maximum is unfounded; secondly, the "maximum" a franchise was to receive was ironically Pokemon with 7 characters.
Pokémon Trainer also managed to slip my mind -_-. My bad! I really need to think about ALL the characters XD

Sorry everyone!

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I count Pokemon Trainer as three characters, because Sakurai does, so the limit so far has been 6.

Which seems reasonable. Pokemon will probably get 6 again this time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering Greninja was made in just one night by Sakurai himself... Am not sure what to expect. Sure, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff but at this rate...? I really wouldn't know.

At this rate, we could still see other starter Pokémon happen as DLC. Ones am thinking off:

-Sceptile
-Blastoise / Squirtle
-Venusaur / Ivysaur
-Blaziken

I think I would like that. 2 of each elemental starter. Charizard and Blaziken are easily the most popular Fire starters. Blastoise and Greninja the most popular Water starters. And I think Venusaur and Sceptile are also the most popular Grass starters.

Ah wel it's just wishful thinking, but that's the Pokémon characters I would add in a roster that doesn't give a **** about adding in as much characters as they can.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person who thinks the webbing is also part of the shadow? >_>
look closer at the visible picture of greninja, the webbing goes pretty damn close to his finger tips(which I might add, the shadow is also missing the balled ends) but in the shadow, if its as you describe, the webbing wouldnt even get close to his fingers.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Considering Greninja was made in just one night by Sakurai himself... Am not sure what to expect. Sure, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff but at this rate...? I really wouldn't know.

At this rate, we could still see other starter Pokémon happen as DLC. Ones am thinking off:

-Sceptile
-Blastoise / Squirtle
-Venusaur / Ivysaur
-Blaziken

I think I would like that. 2 of each elemental starter. Charizard and Blaziken are easily the most popular Fire starters. Blastoise and Greninja the most popular Water starters. And I think Venusaur and Sceptile are also the most popular Grass starters.

Ah wel it's just wishful thinking, but that's the Pokémon characters I would add in a roster that doesn't give a **** about adding in as much characters as they can.
As cool as that would be, that might be offensive to other franchises (like Metroid who technically has just one rep) though since we're speculating, Blastoise would make for another Bowser character but more projectile, and Blaziken, I'm not sure why he's not in the roster, probably because Charizard's already there. Venusaur.. I don't know how they'd pull that off given he's a giant quadruped lol. I would personally love Zoroark. He already has his own movie, and is pretty much a dark Lucario, except with illusions and mimicry. If there's one Pokemon I'd love to see in this game as a PC other than Mewtwo, it's Zoroark.

Sakurai does seem character-centric this time around, at least on the Wii U version. As others have mentioned, no SSE, so if he spent that extra time making more characters, good for us! I do remember reading a more recent article about how cutting and adding characters is really stressful to him, because he doesn't want to offend fans, so I hope that's at least a minor confirmation that Mewtwo is back at least.

look closer at the visible picture of greninja, the webbing goes pretty damn close to his finger tips(which I might add, the shadow is also missing the balled ends) but in the shadow, if its as you describe, the webbing wouldnt even get close to his fingers.
Also the fins are missing! On his back. And as others have said, the way the tongue is portrayed to look like Mewtwo's chest. Which is weird because the tongue is supposed to be more horizontal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom