• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Probably Fully Charged Shadow Ball.
Ah! OK! Thank you. And, I believe I might have already told you this, but nice avatar;).
I didn't say I wanted SB to lose the recoil, but if it was removed I'd like it. Unless they emphasize on the recoil by making a Custom Special promoting it to be a great recovery option, then maybe I'd use that Custom Shadow Ball variation.:p

The idea of sacrificing a FCSB just to recover to me just feels like a poor choice to use. It was okay in Melee to use it first when launched in the corners so you get a little oomph in distance, but Melee Mewtwo's SB recoil wasn't enough worth for me to opt using for recovery purposes, when I'd rather use the FCSB to edge-guard break their attempt(s) instead, then at least from the possible success of the SB connecting I'd be safe to recover using my DJ & Teleport accordingly.

Now if we went with the implied change initially, & applied your idea, then maybe it'd be a decent option, but now the question is "Would Teleport take away our DJ despite the helpless state removed?"

And for finishing this post up, the recoil to me expressed how powerful it was when fired Fullcharged. That Raw Dark power:awesome:
OK! I now see exactly what your saying. Yes, I agree, I used Shadow Ball to break edge guard attempts, as well. I was just saying that the option was there. It would seem like a waste to me to remove something that's not really doing any harm. Maybe that's just me, but I definitely see where your coming from, and I respect that.

As for Teleport removing Mewtwo's mid-air jump, I think you might have just opened a door for discussion. I heavily object to Teleport removing Mewtwo's mid-air jump. The entire point of removing the helpless state if left him in is to buff him. It allows for more strategic recovery options because you can use your mid-air jump are you Teleport, and removing that option, in my opinion, very nearly defeats the purpose of buffing Mewtwo. Sure, he can still attack out of it, but is recovery options aren't increased nearly as much as if he could still double jump, and the ability to double jump after Teleport opens many doors for combos as well. I mean, even if he had an inability to double jump after Teleport, he'd still have good combo ability, but adding in the double jump increases it ten-fold. I suppose I'd be fine if Mewtwo wasn't left in helpless but couldn't double jump, but I'd rather him have the option, assuming the scenario of Mewtwo being able to act out of Teleport even becomes a reality in SSB4.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ah! OK! Thank you. And, I believe I might have already told you this, but nice avatar;).

OK! I now see exactly what your saying. Yes, I agree, I used Shadow Ball to break edge guard attempts, as well. I was just saying that the option was there. It would seem like a waste to me to remove something that's not really doing any harm. Maybe that's just me, but I definitely see where your coming from, and I respect that.

As for Teleport removing Mewtwo's mid-air jump, I think you might have just opened a door for discussion. I heavily object to Teleport removing Mewtwo's mid-air jump. The entire point of removing the helpless state if left him in is to buff him. It allows for more strategic recovery options because you can use your mid-air jump are you Teleport, and removing that option, in my opinion, very nearly defeats the purpose of buffing Mewtwo. Sure, he can still attack out of it, but is recovery options aren't increased nearly as much as if he could still double jump, and the ability to double jump after Teleport opens many doors for combos as well. I mean, even if he had an inability to double jump after Teleport, he'd still have good combo ability, but adding in the double jump increases it ten-fold. I suppose I'd be fine if Mewtwo wasn't left in helpless but couldn't double jump, but I'd rather him have the option, assuming the scenario of Mewtwo being able to act out of Teleport even becomes a reality in SSB4.
Hmm...if Mewtwo couldn't use his Teleport after his second jump...but at the same time- didn't become helpless after his Teleport...that could lead to some interesting mixups. While it may make Mewtwo's recovery game worse...it certainly would be interesting and could definitely be used to form some fancy combos.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hmm...if Mewtwo couldn't use his Teleport after his second jump...but at the same time- didn't become helpless after his Teleport...that could lead to some interesting mixups. While it may make Mewtwo's recovery game worse...it certainly would be interesting and could definitely be used to form some fancy combos.
Yes, but the combos could be lengthier and more damaging if he could Teleport after his Double Jump, and every option he has without that ability is still there, so it could be just as fancy. And, it also improves his recovery considerably. It's the best of both worlds.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yes, but the combos could be lengthier and more damaging if he could Teleport after his Double Jump, and every option he has without that ability is still there, so it could be just as fancy. And, it also improves his recovery considerably. It's the best of both worlds.
The thing is...the only time Mewtwo was able to do this was in P:M. In Melee, Mewtwo became helpless after his Teleport and unable to attack. I think it would be a fair trade off, honestly.
But if we do get the P:M Mewtwo jump mechanics- that's awesome. xD

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The thing is...the only time Mewtwo was able to do this was in P:M. In Melee, Mewtwo became helpless after his Teleport and unable to attack. I think it would be a fair trade off, honestly.
But if we do get the P:M Mewtwo jump mechanics- that's awesome. xD
Oh, yes! That's definitely fair. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't, and I apologize if I did. I just meant that Project M's jump mechanic would be more beneficial. And, just so you know, I don't think Teleport will get those mechanics, either, I just think its fun to talk about:laugh:.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Seeing how Yoshi and Bowser got buffed and revamped moves, I really hope Sakurai and the development team can do what they did to those two for Mewtwo.

Since this Mewtwo looks bulkier, I don't expect a floaty lightweight this time around.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't know if any of you guys have seen this but it's pretty freaking magical.
Xander Mobus is, hands down, the best Smash Announcer of all time.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Don't know if any of you guys have seen this but it's pretty freaking magical.
Xander Mobus is, hands down, the best Smash Announcer of all time.
Oh, most definently! In my opinion, the first two announcers, while great, had their voices muffled too much. The third, while not muffled, was far too laid back. This guy gets them both right. His voice isn't muffled, but he's still super enthusiastic, and it makes him easily the best announcer. That, and the fact that he has a sense of humor. One look at that video would tell you that! If I had to rank the announcers, it would probably go like this:
1. Xander Mobus
2. Jeff Manning
3. Dean Harrington
4. Pat Cashman
Seeing how Yoshi and Bowser got buffed and revamped moves, I really hope Sakurai and the development team can do what they did to those two for Mewtwo.

Since this Mewtwo looks bulkier, I don't expect a floaty lightweight this time around.
Agreed. I expect a floaty middleweight with a buffed up moveset. Mewtwo's floaty falling speed is part of why he had an excellent recovery, and it also helps his combo game. The weight increase, of course, is a necessary improvement, to prevent KO's from happening too early on Mewtwo and thus increase his longevity. That is, unless, Sakurai has devised a Mission Impossible-type thing where Mewtwo stays lightweight and is still balanced:awesome:.

Last edited:

Spirst

Mewtwo actually weights more than Charizard. He's 269.0 lbs as opposed to Charizard's 199.9 lbs. Don't know if they'll actually use that system to balance Pokemon weights but he should at the very least be middle weight. He's not like Rosalina who has anti-gravity mechanics. He can float as a result of his psychic prowess, yeah, but that shouldn't mean he's a lightweight.

It says here (http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/) that Lucario is ranked 20th in weight rankings. Lucario is 119 lbs which makes him lighter than Charizard, who Mewtwo is heavier than. At the very least, make him heavier than Lucario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agreed. I expect a floaty middleweight with a buffed up moveset. Mewtwo's floaty falling speed is part of why he had an excellent recovery, and it also helps his combo game. The weight increase, of course, is a necessary improvement, to prevent KO's from happening too early on Mewtwo and thus increase his longevity. That is, unless, Sakurai has devised a Mission Impossible-type thing where Mewtwo stays lightweight and is still balanced:awesome:.
I know it would be OP, but why isn't Mewtwo a heavyweight? he weighs more than Charizard who is more durable than he is in smash.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4charizard:

EDIT: @ Spirst Spirst i was just talking about how Mewtwo weighs more than Charizard, however your post didn't appear until after the fact (despite yours coming before mine did). Regardless, i couldn't agree more with you on that. At least make him heavier than Lucario.

Last edited by a moderator:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Mewtwo actually weights more than Charizard. He's 269.0 lbs as opposed to Charizard's 199.9 lbs. Don't know if they'll actually use that system to balance Pokemon weights but he should at the very least be middle weight. He's not like Rosalina who has anti-gravity mechanics. He can float as a result of his psychic prowess, yeah, but that shouldn't mean he's a lightweight.

It says here (http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/) that Lucario is ranked 20th in weight rankings. Lucario is 119 lbs which makes him lighter than Charizard, who Mewtwo is heavier than. At the very least, make him heavier than Lucario.
I can settle for that. 100+ is a good number to balance Mewtwo with, if Project M tells us anything. That should be enough to balance him, but anything higher than 108, maybe a little less, would make Mewtwo way too heavy for a character with his recovery.

Spirst

I can settle for that. 100+ is a good number to balance Mewtwo with, if Project M tells us anything. That should be enough to balance him, but anything higher than 108, maybe a little less, would make Mewtwo way too heavy for a character with his recovery.
I agree. Wario, however, is at 107 and has been fairly heavyweight the past two games, but his recovery options are amazing. His bike covers good horizontal distance and when you jump off, it gives you a nice vertical recovery. He can use his corkscrew or waft to help boost it even more. 105-ish seems like a good place for Mewtwo.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Maybe Mewtwo's weight/height stats should be like Roseilina's own weight/height stats.
Mewtwo could be as tall as Rosalina. But, Rosalina is lightweight, and while that formula might work fine and dandy for her, it's been tried and tested on Mewtwo, and it doesn't work at all. He really needs a weight increase in order to properly balance him out, unless there's another incredibly complicated or super creative way to do it, which I can't think of.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
A bit off-topic, but can I just say how awesome this community is? Not just the 99.9% of the SmashBoards community (which also is easily the single best online community I've ever been a part of, along with the Star Citizens) but the Mewtwo supporters specifically? We're all so pumped up right now, practically no idea is too dumb, no-one is getting all self-righteous, from the Poke-purists to the Smash Veterans, and we're all okay with even a little ribbing and teasing.
It's the best dang feeling, like a social club, or some such.
You all rock, guys/gals.

Last edited:

Spirst

A bit off-topic, but can I just say how awesome this community is? Not just 99.9% of the SmashBoards community, but the Mewtwo supporters specifically? We're all so pumped up right now, practically no idea is too dumb, no-one is getting all self-righteous, from the Poke-purists to the Smash Veterans, and we're all okay with even a little ribbing and teasing.
You all rock, guys/gals.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
A bit off-topic, but can I just say how awesome this community is? Not just 99.9% of the SmashBoards community, but the Mewtwo supporters specifically? We're all so pumped up right now, practically no idea is too dumb, no-one is getting all self-righteous, from the Poke-purists to the Smash Veterans, and we're all okay with even a little ribbing and teasing.
You all rock, guys/gals.
Oh youuu~

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
You all rock, guys/gals.
It's a testament to how far we've come. Us Mewtwo fans have been pushing for his return since the Brawl speculation days, and even after the release of Smash 4. All of our efforts have paid off at last!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
You all rock, guys/gals.

The Mewtwo community just rocks in general:p. I've received comments about how awesome the Mewtwo fans are elsewhere, and nothing makes me feel warmer inside. And, I have to say, I agree. I particularly like how we can all object to other's opinions and no-one gets upset. We can all argue like normal, civilized people. It's an honor to be a part of such an awesome community.

Shog

Smash Ace
Sigh...you know, Mewtwo community is awesome...and some character have like no supporters despite being in the game(look at some character boards)

:(

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm just waiting for that one day where we get a Mewtwo related PotD and all of Smashbroads just explodes for 5 weeks from the hype.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm just waiting for that one day where we get a Mewtwo related PotD and all of Smashbroads just explodes for 5 weeks from the hype.
The closest I can imagine is the Mega Mewtwo trophy since I believe PotD will end by the end of this year and Mewtwo DLC is next spring.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
But... But he is a villain. Or he was at one point, at least. I mean, even in Origins, he was a villain. There's really no way around it: Mewtwo was a villain, at least at one point. Of course, Femtwo was a hero, as was Mewtwo in Mewtwo Returns. So, I'll give you that. However, in half of his appearances (Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Origins) he was the villain. Not to mention, Pokemon Origins is his most recent depiction. I would consider Mewtwo more of a border-line character: Good when he needs to be good, bad when he wants to be bad. And, regardless of that, Mewtwo still has his personality, which tends to tilt toward the villainous side, even in Mewtwo Returns. The fact that he was a hero in that special does not prevent him from a having a more villanous personality, in a similar vein to Shadow from Sonic: A good guy with a villainous personality. Femtwo, granted, had a "hero's" personality, from what I understand (I've never seen the movie), so that is a point in your favor.

Anyway, the response I just gave was way too long-winded. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, even if Mewtwo isn't a villain, he was at one point, and he has a villainous personality, regardless of his moral orientation.
This would make him an anti-hero, not a villain. Or if we wanna stretch it a bit, he's an anti-villain ala deadpool . still, he's definitely not a villain

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The closest I can imagine is the Mega Mewtwo trophy since I believe PotD will end by the end of this year and Mewtwo DLC is next spring.
I forgot Sakurai said that. Knowing Sakurai, maybe he'll continue for a bit longer? I mean, "50 Fact Extravaganza" was like 5 Facts over so.. yeah. If it really is happening though, I'm sure Mewtwo will get a few PotDs before it ends.

Staarih

Smash Master
I was about to point his out too haha. But Mewtwo would be a good way to end the PotD's and the year, huh?

Though he'll surely get his own character page on the site with pictures (like all the other characters) once the DLC is out, I'd assume, even if the PotD's have ended before that.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I forgot Sakurai said that. Knowing Sakurai, maybe he'll continue for a bit longer? I mean, "50 Fact Extravaganza" was like 5 Facts over so.. yeah. If it really is happening though, I'm sure Mewtwo will get a few PotDs before it ends.
Or, maybe, being the guy that he is, he'll stop the PoTDs, and then make a giant announcement via a surprise PoTD!

Though, speaking of PoTDs, if Mewtwo were to get one, what would you to be revealed in it? I think I'd want a Final Smash reveal. I know it's less important than the rest of his moveset, but I'm just anxious to see what it is.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Or, maybe, being the guy that he is, he'll stop the PoTDs, and then make a giant announcement via a surprise PoTD!

Though, speaking of PoTDs, if Mewtwo were to get one, what would you to be revealed in it? I think I'd want a Final Smash reveal. I know it's less important than the rest of his moveset, but I'm just anxious to see what it is.
I think at this point a standard picture of Mewtwo's new updates would most likely be in the front of PotD importance.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

You mean you can't wait to see what MMY looks like? ;)

I think at this point a standard picture of Mewtwo's new updates would most likely be in the front of PotD importance.
Yeah agreed! And gameplay screens. I'm sure they'll also do some type of "special preview" for him. Whether it comes in the form of text/an article or video who knows, but it's inevitable. I just hope we see it by December because it would be the best holiday present.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Or halfway into his development cycle...so a good 2 or 3 months away we might see something from Mewtwo.

I mean, why would anyone wait til the last day of the last month to hype up a character we know is coming but still unseen without a trailer....*ahemduckhuntdog* ahem,ahem

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Hey guys! I gotta say, today was a good day!

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
What is that figure from?
Not sure on the series, the box is entirely in Japanese. I ordered it from J-Subculture. I can post a pic of the box if someone wants to translate.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I normally don't like collecting that kind of stuff, but that is something I MUST HAVE!!! Or his amiibo...or both.
I'd like to make a shelf of Smash characters. I have this Mewtwo, a Mega Man, a Knuckles (I've always wanted him in if they ever did put in a second Sonic rep), and maybe a few more. I definitely want the Samus Amiibo.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey guys! I gotta say, today was a good day!

OH MY GOD! HE LEFT A CABINET DOOR OPEN!
Nah, I'm just messing with you. That's a seriously cool Mewtwo figure. It actually resembles his Smash 4 coloration and build, and it's very high quality. Congrats on making me jealous getting that figure, it's seriously awesome!
I'd like to make a shelf of Smash characters. I have this Mewtwo, a Mega Man, a Knuckles (I've always wanted him in if they ever did put in a second Sonic rep), and maybe a few more. I definitely want the Samus Amiibo.
Samus seems like she'd be a really fun character to fight against, especially considering her rather interesting Custom Specials. I myself plan to pick up the inevitable Mewtwo amiibo, and maybe a few others, like Dr. Mario, Captain Falcon or Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom