• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco - Grab vs Shield Grab

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys ive been wondering this for awhile and i kinda want an answer. Now that im taking melee more seriously then i ever have and im looking into frame data some what i was wondering according to frames how does shield grab compair to grab? I was kinda of wondering this because it is a lot easier to wavedash -> Shield grab, laser to Shield grab or even just grab in general with shield grab instead of having to press Z

Is this hindering my play?

Should i break this habit?

SHOW ME FRAMES PLS

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
The grab is 7 frames either way, so the only difference is I guess your shield coming out frame 1 instead of the grab animation starting frame 1. In addition I guess there's probably some input lag from physically having to press L/R and then A, but that may be negligible.

Either way, I sincerely doubt doing one or the other would hinder your play.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
The grab is 7 frames either way, so the only difference is I guess your shield coming out frame 1 instead of the grab animation starting frame 1. In addition I guess there's probably some input lag from physically having to press L/R and then A, but that may be negligible.

Either way, I sincerely doubt doing one or the other would hinder your play.
So, you can shield grab on frame one of shield? i honestly thought there would be more of a delay which is why i was concerned. i guess ill keep shield grabbing cause its more comfortable that way :D

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
As long as you press shield + a on the same frame they will be identical. Although if you are wding to grab, you could just hold shield and press a the first frame after landing lag. Both have their advantages but aren't different enough for you to need both, all preference.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
So, you can shield grab on frame one of shield? i honestly thought there would be more of a delay which is why i was concerned. i guess ill keep shield grabbing cause its more comfortable that way :D
Unless someone has discovered something since I last checked, yes jumping/grabbing out of shield removes all the shield release lag.

Also, schmooblidon is likely correct in that you could press them simultaneously and have it be exactly the same. If I remember correctly this is all the Z button actually does, which is why it also light shields and grabs items out of the air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom