• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

falco matchup discussion

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Hmm, I don't have a lot of experience with the CC dsmash from the platform, but I feel like they'd have to be true ccing in order for that to work, and/or at a super low percent, AND you aren't at a low percent.

I don't like using uair on people's shields when they're on a platform anymore. People have caught onto it and WD OoS -> runoff platform immediately after the uair. Honestly sometimes it's better to just up-B their shield and get a free 16%, or double jump nair gentleman to eat away at their shield and possibly get a free hit in on bad players.
I'm pretty sure uair is fast enough so that if they do stuff like that, it's a good thing for you

D

Deleted member

it depends

sometimes hitting their shield lets them get away for free

thats why some people do the weird option which is do weird jump arounds/ drop through platform then hit them when they hopefully let go of shield

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
from a DK's perspective
the most important thing is to hit Falco onto the ground. every char sucks when their only options are sit there, tech in place, techroll left, or techroll right. punish from there. easiest way to get a grab.

0Room

Smash Lord
That's what I've always said
The best way to take momentum/control of the match is to grab
Because they literally have 2 options

DI the incoming throw
Hammer to get out

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
Falcon's dair beats Utilt OOS /w Slow dair but you have to kinda DI away and then in, its an awkward timing which I dislike about it as an option when I'm more comfortable with other choices.

I just don't think its worth the risk so I just tend to write it of as something to just avoid getting into in general.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you mean influence your horizontal momentum right?
because DI refers to when you get hit.

0Room

Smash Lord
Lol I know
I was just saying I wasn't going to correct him because I knew what he meant

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
Something I've noticed no one uses (falcon mains or not) is wavelanding after you get hit by a laser. It's usually just you're trying to jump and falco lasers you, then treats it as a free approach; if you waveland backwards as soon as you get hit by the laser you can get a *lot* of free grabs. Even if it doesn't lead to a free grab, it gets you back to the ground faster so that you can avoid pressure. There's really no reason to ever do anything besides waveland after getting hit by a laser unless you can get an aerial out to hit him beforehand.
this post is awful.

lets get back to talking about dair oos and respond to the good ideas of players who are actually skilled.

druggedfox go smoke some weed or something bro, this is a BAD idea

Windrose

Smash Lord
Now I'm confused....is that waveland after getting hit by a laser technique real or not? If not, it would explain why I've never seen people waveland after getting hit by a laser every time...

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
What winston said... >___>

It is most definitely real, and the reason you don't see it is cuz almost nobody in the current metagame actually has good anti-falco play.

D

Deleted member

falco's weakest defensive point is directly above him or above and in front of him. the best method to punish him with almost any character is to drop on him from a safe position (read: off of a platform / out of a shield on a platform) with a well spaced or high stun aerial. empty land into grab is decent vs other chars but falco has time to react with shine oos when you land on him so it's probably best to just try to hit him. but this is more specific to the bird than the bird-man.

also, idk if anyone has said it yet, but when you make a legit approach on falco connect, actually kill him. i know it sounds obvious but too many people play with their food per se. finish the job.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I waveland out of non-tumble hitstun all the time. I don't recall a specific instance where I did it against Falco's lasers but I wouldn't be surprised if I do it. Lets me dodge a lot of grabs against random chars like Falcon trying to SHFFL uair -> grab me.

mers

Smash Ace
I really like intentionally getting hit with a laser, then quickly dashing away. If you do it right, you can often trick Falco into thinking you were vulnerable to an approach. It's fairly risk free, too. Either he takes the bait and you get to hit him, or he doesn't and you take like 2 percent.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm gonna have to try these things out the next time I get hit by falco's lasers. I'm still mainly just full jumping to try to get around lasers vs falco which as zhu said is what he wants falcon's to do apparently :S

D

Deleted member

I do that all the time but it sucks ballz vs safe, methodical falcos

0Room

Smash Lord
falco's weakest defensive point is directly above him or above and in front of him. the best method to punish him with almost any character is to drop on him from a safe position (read: off of a platform / out of a shield on a platform) with a well spaced or high stun aerial. empty land into grab is decent vs other chars but falco has time to react with shine oos when you land on him so it's probably best to just try to hit him. but this is more specific to the bird than the bird-man.

also, idk if anyone has said it yet, but when you make a legit approach on falco connect, actually kill him. i know it sounds obvious but too many people play with their food per se. finish the job.
I really like this post :D
The more you know the more you can respond

I think every high tier character has an answer to everything, it's just some are better options than others

Top Bottom