• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Incronaut

Smash Ace
is falco vs samus a projectile war? I read the first post but i feel you can shine combo peach and stuff but not really samus cause of the up+b nonsense

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
what exactally is a "buffer"? is it like rolling after WDing on stage from the ledge? i hear people say stuff about using c stick or something

JPOBS

Smash Hero
when you are sheilding and press the c sitck left/right, you will roll. Up will make you jump oos, and down wil make you spotdodge.

If you are in some sort of shield stun when you press the C-stick, you will perform the roll/jump/spotdodge on the first available frame.

So when people say they are "buffering" something, they are inputting a command with the c-stick while in shield which is automatically occur at the next possible frame.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you can also buffer jumps out of hitstun, which gets me killed all the time when i try to DI up and accidentally waste my double jump by jumping into an attack :(

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
ok i think i understand, what are some common uses for it? would it be used to get out of shield pressure? or is that off the mark

X1-12

Smash Champion
ok i think i understand, what are some common uses for it? would it be used to get out of shield pressure? or is that off the mark
you can use it to roll away or spotdodge as fast as is possible rather than trying to wait until you are not in stun then do it manually. Also if you tech and think you are about to get grabbed you can hold R + Cstick down to buffer spotdodge as soon as is possible

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
you can also buffer jumps out of hitstun, which gets me killed all the time when i try to DI up and accidentally waste my double jump by jumping into an attack :(
what? wait, really? how?

I don't think this is the same as buffering, I think you're just hitting up on the control stick late on your DI and thus are doing it after hitstun and jumping, but I haven't really tried to do any buffering that's not out of shield, so I won't say 100% that you're wrong. But I'm like 95% sure that all buffering in this game is out of shield.

I use buffer full hop out of techs a lot. Rolling and Spot dodging feel so dangerous compared to just jumping :p, though of course they're both faster at GTFOing than jumping is.

mers

Smash Ace
what? wait, really? how?

I don't think this is the same as buffering, I think you're just hitting up on the control stick late on your DI and thus are doing it after hitstun and jumping, but I haven't really tried to do any buffering that's not out of shield, so I won't say 100% that you're wrong. But I'm like 95% sure that all buffering in this game is out of shield.

I use buffer full hop out of techs a lot. Rolling and Spot dodging feel so dangerous compared to just jumping :p, though of course they're both faster at GTFOing than jumping is.
I've definitely attempted to jump before hitstun was over, had the jump fail (obviously), but then happen on a delay when hitstun ended. It's not the same as buffering because you don't have to hold the direction. I just pressed X once, then jumped half a second (or so) later.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah. if you press jump (any jump button) while in hitstun and you can jump within [some number] frames (30? 45?) - that is, hitstun ends within that many frames - you will jump. it sux0rz.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
weird. i remember reading about it a long time ago, i thought it was relatively well known. it gets me ***** by mediocre falcons a lot - their combo wont quite connect, but instead of getting out i jump back into the combo less a second jump, and then die instantly.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I keep getting grabbed after dair. Am I just missing the l cancal or using poor spacing or both lol?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
it should be obvious. If your shine is coming out, but missing, you're screwing up the spacing. If you're getting grabbed before your shine can come out, you're missing the l cancel or doing both wrong, but it's impossible to diagnose off of what you're giving us.

X1-12

Smash Champion
hmmm, I'm curious what that frame gap is. I suppose it makes sense when I really think about my experiences with the game, but I never really thought of it.
Magus once told me the longest you can buffer in melee is 20 frames

It was in a thread called 'ssbm quiz' iirc, someone said infinte, htne magus swooped in and corrected them

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
So what just remove the post, or add to it, and type a new one.... that seems hack but ok.

So if I hit low on their shield, then what? What does that do?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
you might also be dairing too early and hitting high on their shield. who knows.

EDIT: also don't double post. edit new information into your first post instead.

dairing and ending up outside of grab range is possible, but it's character dependent and is mostly a mid-shield-pressure mix up.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you're saying that you're getting comboed further because you're DI up is buffering a jump, which implies that you're still being comboed = not a knee unless we're talking about double knees.
what are you talking about? here's a sample situation:

I get stomped. I predict I'm going to get kneed. I hold up to DI the knee up for survival. instead, his knee hits a few frames late and I jump into it.

I know how to combo di. what are you not getting?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
So what just remove the post, or add to it, and type a new one.... that seems hack but ok.

So if I hit low on their shield, then what? What does that do?
hitting low on the shield puts less time between when you put them in shield stun and when you land, giving you a higher frame advantage.

posting again is OK, it's just back to back posts that are frowned upon in the forum rules.

what are you talking about? here's a sample situation:

I get stomped. I predict I'm going to get kneed. I hold up to DI the knee up for survival. instead, his knee hits a few frames late and I jump into it.

I know how to combo di. what are you not getting?
hmm, just seems like an odd time to mess that up. when I know I'm going to get hit again, I just smash DI on reaction to the startup frames of their attack, so I rarely get caught like that.

sry, I guess I just have different input timing for DI.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ya i do what mogwai does, smash DI when u get hit (for survival DI as well). inputting DI before anything even happens is useless.

as such, i have to say, i've rarely experienced this buffering jump out of hitstun, i dont think is ever happened to me.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You should be reacting to the knee anyways because holding up puts you in Uair -> Knee range whereas neutral DI leaves them no way to follow up if they Uair

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i mean yes, that's all true, but it's much easier to end up just not DIing at all if you wait til the last second. if i were perfect at doing that it would be optimal, but i'm not. i could probably get used to it since knees have huge hitlag though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's also like, a large portion of the defensive game vs Falcon. Aside from basic teching patterns, making sure you don't survival DI anything but knees and high % Uairs will keep you out of almost all aerial chains

Sigh, why is Falco so intuitive -_- I've been a Fox/Falcon main for the longest time, but Falco is just so ... easy

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
It's also like, a large portion of the defensive game vs Falcon. Aside from basic teching patterns, making sure you don't survival DI anything but knees and high % Uairs will keep you out of almost all aerial chains

Sigh, why is Falco so intuitive -_- I've been a Fox/Falcon main for the longest time, but Falco is just so ... easy
yeah. i dont know, i DI fine against cf except for that one problem.

and yeah, falco is 2ez. fox is much more fun... it's just so much harder to win with him.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
@ Mogwai and JPOBS:

You guys smash DI for survival DI also? I always thought smash DI was good for moving you during hitstun, and it doesn't change the trajectory that you go at significantly.
yup. its really not that hard even, 90% of the time you know when your going to get hit in a combo and with exactly which move so you might as well lol

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
naww... with fox you're always in these situations where you have to figure out what to do where with falco you'd just laser. way easier.

Top Bottom