• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

soap

Smash Hero
i try my hardest in friendlies 2.

except when im playing the same person for 2 hours. its hard to keep it serious that long

Ja

Smash Journeyman
I'm having this problem where when I shine on a platform, and jump to cancel it I always get the air jump. This only happens some of the time if my shine hits, but it happens all of the time if my shine misses. I don't think it has to do with how fast I shine, as I can shine out of shield and stay on the ground pretty consistently. What am I doing wrong?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I'm having this problem where when I shine on a platform, and jump to cancel it I always get the air jump. This only happens some of the time if my shine hits, but it happens all of the time if my shine misses. I don't think it has to do with how fast I shine, as I can shine out of shield and stay on the ground pretty consistently. What am I doing wrong?
By air jump I presume you mean not waveshine and just a JC Shine? All you need to do is wait longer before the jump and wavedash. Take sometime to practice the timing.

Shine out of shield forces you to Jump and shine in 3 or less frames, while Waveshine needs to be done at the 4th frame of the jump.

Did that help?

Pardon me if that's not what you meant though.

EDIT = That's Fox's frame data, I'm not sure about Falco's I believe it's the 6th frame of the jump before you can wavedash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
na, he shines while standing on a platform and then drops a bit trough the platform because of the shine.

You either press down too soon/ B too late when trying to shine and thus drop before the shine

Or you hold the shine too long before you jump out.

i rather think its the first case after i read your whole post

Scar

#HarveyDent
im picking up falco

first post was a good read, i found at least 3 spelling/grammatical errors tho

good luck finding that many in any of my threads

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Hey I'm thinking of a sort of unorthodox way of recovery and I'm not sure if it could at all be useful in higher levels of play.

Ex.
Falco gets baired offstage by doc and has no double jump.

He's below the ledge and Up+B can reach it.

However as slow as it is, will get baired and fail.

So, my thought is to predict the bair, then phantasm instead of Firebird before the bair happens, normally it would be an SD, but you can hit Doc as well, he'll meteor cancel and you can walltech his Up+B to safety?

It's stupid, and he could always meteor cancel with his double jump but wouldn't that be better than get baired out of Firebird?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
im picking up falco

first post was a good read, i found at least 3 spelling/grammatical errors tho

good luck finding that many in any of my threads
excellent, and how many of your posts are even a third as long as this first post in this thread? get *****.

By air jump I presume you mean not waveshine and just a JC Shine? All you need to do is wait longer before the jump and wavedash. Take sometime to practice the timing.

Shine out of shield forces you to Jump and shine in 3 or less frames, while Waveshine needs to be done at the 4th frame of the jump.

Did that help?

Pardon me if that's not what you meant though.

EDIT = That's Fox's frame data, I'm not sure about Falco's I believe it's the 6th frame of the jump before you can wavedash. Correct me if I'm wrong.
the shine on the platform thing is most certainly dropping through the platform first and then shining so that when you jump out of the shine, it's the double jump. There is no easy fix to this besides tilting the control stick down rather than smashing it when shining (or holding it down after fast falling an aerial), but I honestly haven't fixed this issue for myself, so suffice to say it's pretty tough.

for the record, Falco's first airborne frame is frame 6, I posted it 1 page ago :ohwell:.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm thinking of a sort of unorthodox way of recovery and I'm not sure if it could at all be useful in higher levels of play.

Ex.
Falco gets baired offstage by doc and has no double jump.

He's below the ledge and Up+B can reach it.

However as slow as it is, will get baired and fail.

So, my thought is to predict the bair, then phantasm instead of Firebird before the bair happens, normally it would be an SD, but you can hit Doc as well, he'll meteor cancel and you can walltech his Up+B to safety?

It's stupid, and he could always meteor cancel with his double jump but wouldn't that be better than get baired out of Firebird?
thats very hard to predict and do in the heat of the moment i imagine... however some other stuff like that is possible, like firebirding into a charging firefox if you both happen to be offstage, and the type of thing where you aim for turnips or something.

its all very situational and you just need smarts and fast reactions

Scar

#HarveyDent
excellent, and how many of your posts are even a third as long as this first post in this thread? get *****.
LOL no i have at least a million threads longer than this one

including but not limited to Scar on the MvB debate

complete with 0 grammatical errors

Ja

Smash Journeyman
na, he shines while standing on a platform and then drops a bit trough the platform because of the shine.

You either press down too soon/ B too late when trying to shine and thus drop before the shine

Or you hold the shine too long before you jump out.

i rather think its the first case after i read your whole post
This helped. Turned out I wasn't pressing b soon enough. Apparently there's a position where you can shine without crouching that's where I need to hit b to not fall through.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Mogwai, you forget to mention cstick dI'ing as a crucial part of falcos recovery.

I forget whether its smash di, asdi, or any of those other complicated names because frankly there are too many to remeber.

what i do know is that if you are forced to use your firebird below the stage, Start holding the C-stick in the direction of the stage while on your way up, and hit L/R. In this way, you have a much better chance of teching if your opponent hits you and also, because you are holding up already for the firebird, it means you will jumptech which means you can either firebird again, phantasm immediately, Bair etc

just my two cents

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea tru you cud not hold up but i prefer to becuz jump tech gives you more options after than a regular tech which forces you to firebird again in which case the situation resets lol

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
most times you wont be directly under the stage to be holding up anyway... much more chance you'll be hit offstage and ride up the wall need to sweetspot diagonally

TresChikon

Smash Lord
yea tru you cud not hold up but i prefer to becuz jump tech gives you more options after than a regular tech which forces you to firebird again in which case the situation resets lol
Absolutely right you are, but that's why I remind you that X or Y is always available to walltech jump.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
most times you wont be directly under the stage to be holding up anyway... much more chance you'll be hit offstage and ride up the wall need to sweetspot diagonally
well with falco's short up B recovery, if you have to use it at an angle or diagonally, more times than not, you wont even be able to ride the wall unless you are extremely close to the stage.

in which case, if you're close enough to ride the wall and go for a sweetspot then by all means do it but i've found that what tends to happen is, im too far to go for a wall ride so i just aim directly for the edge with it and tech whatever they throw out. but even when your are holding the control stick at a diagonal angle it still registers as jumptech :laugh:

TresChikon

Smash Lord
well with falco's short up B recovery, if you have to use it at an angle or diagonally, more times than not, you wont even be able to ride the wall unless you are extremely close to the stage.

in which case, if you're close enough to ride the wall and go for a sweetspot then by all means do it but i've found that what tends to happen is, im too far to go for a wall ride so i just aim directly for the edge with it and tech whatever they throw out. but even when your are holding the control stick at a diagonal angle it still registers as jumptech :laugh:
What you're saying makes perfect sense, and since you can't wallhug makes it even more important to SDI. I understand holding up makes it easier to walljump, but how the heck will you tech Marth's F-smash when it sticks out like 10 feet offstage. You have to SDI it, and holding up won't do that. Just use X or Y to input the jump.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
oh for sure im not promoting the use of control stick over x or y im just saying what i find to be useful.

but as for marths sword and sdi, i find that like you say, marths sword sticks out so far that, unless you are wallhugging, you're pretty much dead.

the only way you can tech it is if he spaces it for a tip, but if he doesnt, the sword extends to far, so my question is, is sdi THAT powerful that you can tech a fsmash even if he has spaced it so it extends out beyond the stage? i dont sdi to be honest but that sounds beastly...

TresChikon

Smash Lord
oh for sure im not promoting the use of control stick over x or y im just saying what i find to be useful.

but as for marths sword and sdi, i find that like you say, marths sword sticks out so far that, unless you are wallhugging, you're pretty much dead.

the only way you can tech it is if he spaces it for a tip, but if he doesnt, the sword extends to far, so my question is, is sdi THAT powerful that you can tech a fsmash even if he has spaced it so it extends out beyond the stage? i dont sdi to be honest but that sounds beastly...
Yes SDI probably one of the most insane things in the game, however human reaction times prevent it from being broken. You basically move freely around during hitlag, one input per frame, human reaction time prevents you from using every single frame.

However in theory, if you could use SDI to its max potential(i.e. AR), you can survive absolutely anything.

Watch Perfect Control on youtube, it's a cool video showing some crazy SDI stunts, like a Mario at a high percentage taking a Charged Samus shot and DIing it's enormous hitlag, 25 frames i think, and flying the opposite way and surviving.

So when the MArth tippers you offstage, there is a certain amount of hitlag, you use those frames to input SDI towards the stage until eventually you are touching the stage, allowing for a walltech.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ok mogwai asking in your thread now,

thoughts on gay stages like green greens, RC and japes as falco counterpicks?
specifically vs marth, jiggs and peach.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
^^Turn on all non-banned stages the next time you play. Green Greens has by far the lowest cieling of all non-banned stages.

well, as you'll notice in the first post of this thread, I have devoted a considerable section to counterpicking which frequently advises players to use stages such as Kongo Jungle 64, Poke Floats, and Rainbow cruise.

That being said, the better players tend to pick neutrals line of thought that Pocky and I were talking about in the other thread is still true. If you think you're a noticeably better player than your opponent, I would not advocate going to Floats, Rainbow Cruise, or Japes, as you are just 1 minute mistake away from randomly losing a stock on all of them. I think that Corneria and Green Greens are fine vs. Peach and Jiggs and that Floats and Cruise are both very good vs. them and think that you should frequnently counterpick those stages against closely matched or better Peach/Jiggs players. Against Marth, I'd recomment Floats a lot more than Cruise and I'd strongly suggest trying Kongo Jungle 64.

Japes is a horrible stage. Cute Forward tricks aren't enough to make a stage good for Falco and believe me when I tell you that the stage is not a good one for Falco and will only lead to wins vs. easily intimidated opponents who see you flying around with forward B and shooting them a lot.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, I mean, vs. Falcon the idea is to be in invulnerability frames with your gun out the entire match on Japes, but you'll still die to random clap trap bull**** and Falcon's recovery is better on that stage that yours. I think taking Falcon to Floats is the best idea if you wanna just gay him over.

Top Bottom