• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can just laser and U-tilt/F-tilt the entire game and probably beat Pichu. D-throw tech chase is also really good against him because his tech roll doesn't exist.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
Speaking from a COMPLETELY unbiased perspective, the consideration you guys have for making the falco/falcon matchup guide should be dropped; no need for it. . . if it has to be made, the only thing that should be put under it are the words *pew* and *blink* a few hundred times. That should suffice, imHo.

That is all. . .
Again, just inputting a spectator's opinion. . . . .Not even sure if ive heard of this game before today. . . . .

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
even though I'm working on all character matchups, I've changed the title of this thread to reinforce the fear being instilled in Falcon Mains everywhere from the thought of a **** *** PeePee and Mogwai collaboration on how to **** their pathetic excuse for a character.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
in top level of play, how often is the laser powershielded?

and how much does it affect the laser game?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
just depends on the person.

some ppl go charging thru them and go for powershields while others duck and dodge around them,

If somebody powershields well then the falco has to be smarter with his lasers. You can lose control of the match and get grabbed alot.

Its not usually an end all be all but it can affect the match alot, then its like whoever you are playing has half powered lasers.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
in top level of play, how often is the laser powershielded?

and how much does it affect the laser game?
more than we'd like. I dunno, it's funny, some opponents just stand there trying to powershield lasers and then I just lol and shoot them more cause if they don't follow up powershielding your laser, it doesn't accomplish a whole lot. If they're mobile and good at powershielding out of a run into a grab or aerial though, then you have to be careful with lasers and keep them guessing. I'm pretty sure I put something about it in lesson 2 in the first post, so yea...

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
See, This is what happens when people like Scar and Darkrain and Hax and SS get off on spacie's too much, they plot against us.

FALCON MAINS START SANDBAGGING VS SPACIES SO THEY WONT COME LOOKING FOR ADVICE. THEN **** IN TOURNEYS.

Alukard

Smash Hero
LMFAO ... good **** mogwai and PP... i personally love playing as falco vs cf ... but i have the most fun using marf LOL

Alukard

Smash Hero
well as falcon i love fighting marth and falco ... so i dunno i'm just saying those match ups are really fun ... u either **** ur opponent or get *****

Turazrok

Smash Master
If someone has their back turned to you and is shielding, and also does not have a grab box that extends behind them, is it safer to start breaking it?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
why not just stand behind their shield and cover their OoS options? attacking their shield just gives them a chance to roll/wd away or break through your shield pressure with whatever their character does best

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yea i guess. my thing is what marth generally does. space far enough that they can't hit you and if they do anything OoS you punish. its pretty brutal and easy.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
if you space that far, they generally WD away eat a laser and that's all that happens. which is sorta nice cause you get free laser control and put them in their shield again, but I like trying to shield stab that ****er more cause his shield is pathetic.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

bolt.

Smash Ace
How do you moonwalk with falco and how do you start an up-b in one direction go straight up in the other direction? Also when, if ever, would you recommend using djdl with out a fastfall and land on a platform?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
How do you moonwalk with falco and how do you start an up-b in one direction go straight up in the other direction? Also when, if ever, would you recommend using djdl with out a fastfall and land on a platform?
Moonwalk: You need to be in the walk animation. You get the furthest distance when you're at your top walking speed. You can't do it while in the run animation, but the inputs are the same for moonwalk for EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME. Falcon, Link, Young Link, Peach, Zelda, and Ganon are the only characters that, to my knowledge, can do a moonwalk during the initial dashing animation. Everyone else must be done in either walking animation.

As for the firebird/firefox; After starting a firefox/firebird in one direction, near the middle/end of it, tilt your analog stick the opposite direction. If done correctly, Falco/Fox should turn around at the end of the animation.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
djdl without a fastfall onto a platform into isai drop laser is good for covering the screen with lasers. it's also good to shoot at someone who's moving between the top and side platforms.

also, for the facing the other direction thing, it's pretty much irrelevant since he grabs the ledge at the end of his up B from either direction.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Something cool about falco's firefox: if you fast fall after upbing, you can regrab the edge backwards up to almost the same height you went up.

If that was unclear go try this:

grab the edge shine turn around firefox slightly below the stage. when you go up, fast fall at the peak and regrab :D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
if you go straight upwards and get caped , you still grab the edge regardless afaik, but that situation is pretty rare.
If you're going straight up, and get caped, and it's not sweet-spotted, where Falco will grab the ledge regardless of where he's facing, he WILL miss the edge.

I hadn't though of turning Falco around consciously to counter cape, but nobody in my state plays Doc/Mario, and the few people who dabble in mario/doc don't use cape. Most of them find Cape to be too laggy/sub-optimal in comparison to bair/nair/ftilt/dsmash

JPOBS

Smash Hero
djdl without a fastfall onto a platform into isai drop laser is good for covering the screen with lasers. it's also good to shoot at someone who's moving between the top and side platforms.
this sounds like a cool trick :crazy:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea i've been working on improving my laser game.

recently learned how to isai drop and was looking for a way to get 3 lasers out at roughly even, decending heights (i think everyone calls it staircase lasers?) like i've seen him do. and at first i was full hop FF double lasering->isai drop laser but that was really awkward.

this DJ non FF double laser is nice.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Moonwalk: You need to be in the walk animation. You get the furthest distance when you're at your top walking speed. You can't do it while in the run animation, but the inputs are the same for moonwalk for EVERY CHARACTER IN THE GAME. Falcon, Link, Young Link, Peach, Zelda, and Ganon are the only characters that, to my knowledge, can do a moonwalk during the initial dashing animation. Everyone else must be done in either walking animation.

As for the firebird/firefox; After starting a firefox/firebird in one direction, near the middle/end of it, tilt your analog stick the opposite direction. If done correctly, Falco/Fox should turn around at the end of the animation.
m2 can for sure and I think yoshi can also.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Alrighty, sooooo where to begin...

tech skill stuff:
1. you missed LHDL a few times and just fell and died.
2. you miss fast falls a bunch when you're doing high aerials, especially when you start them early.
3. you do full hop nairs towards people a bunch. I assume these are missed shffls, if they aren't then it's a strategy problem because full hop nairs are very vulnerable with Falco.
4. you miss combo oppurtunities a lot. I wish I could be specific, but there were just too many things and I'm sure you know most of the places where you could've continued a combo but were slow on the follow up.
5. you're generally not fluid enough. by this I mean that the individual things that you do right are fast, but you don't seem to have a great idea of when they end so there's a lot of choppy motion where you're just standing there after something before you do another. this is part of why your combo follow ups falls short frequently.
6. your shield pressure is entirely 1 dimensional. it's all aerial -> shine -> aerial, rinse, repeat. you're pretty good at doing that, but if that's all you do, you'll get shield grabbed, and you do. learn to at least shine grab, if not also multishine on shields.

all that being said, I think Tech Skill is the least of your problems. I know these were some friendlies, but I still think that some mindset problems really show through in them:
1. you always wanna multishine like crazy when your opponent is respawing: STOP IT. You use the stick to do your multishines, so when you screw up, you firebird and get *****. Hell, there were even a couple times you just get going with it for too long and were still multishining for no apparent reason and got ***** for it. and on top of that, you're not even using multishine in your shield pressure game, so multishining isn't even serving as a practice for something you use mid game. no one will think less of you if you just lightshield on a platform while waiting for respawn, your pen1s will stay the same size.
2. you react to pressure very poorly. you just like to sit in your shield while being pressured. you also will continue shooting lasers even after you opponent breaks in close enough that they aren't safe. you also **** up off the ledge more when your opponent is close by. stop playing scared. it's just a game, don't worry about screwing stuff up, just do it and be confident about it. worrying about it only makes you screw up more. don't let your opponent into your head. of course this is harder than it sounds, but seriously, it seems like you just need to relax a bit and not get nervous when pressured.
3. get comfortable with how fast your falco is. it looks like you play your Falco like he's faster than he is. there are 2 ways to fix this: a. practice until he's that fast or b. live with it and choose slower, safer options. either's fine, you just can't try to play this game faster than your muscle memory will let you.
4. this is probably the hardest one to understand, but I think it's the most important. your falco really lacks purpose. you frequently do things that just make no sense in progressing the game towards a victory for yourself. this manifests in some of the decisions I pointed out above, but also shows up when you do things like immediately illusion ledge cancel towards marth at the start of each match of PS. there's no reason and you're just moving yourself exactly where he wants you. it's like you're doing things just cause you can, not because they necessarily make sense to do at the time. think things through more. have a plan. if there's no good reason to do a particular thing that you can do, think of something else you can do. it just seems like too much of the time you're focused on "I'm in situation A, I can do action B, so I will do action B," instead of considering actions C, D, E and F.

hope this helps, don't give up. you're further along than most, you're just hitting a wall, everyone does at some point. the important thing is to get over it and work on the areas that need work rather than getting depressed about your progress slowing down.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
**** that's some **** advice

hopefully rubyiris will TAKE IT FOR ONCE

and not be like "NO WHAT I DO IS RIGHT AND MY TECH SKILL IS THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH ME"

falco sucks

Top Bottom