• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Stage Discussion ~ Week 7/8: Pokemon Stadium 2 and Rainbow Cruise

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Jem, this is why you don't visit Falco boards. We're simply too advanced for you. Go back to Meta Knight...

Vlade

Social Outcast
I've updated for discussion on Rainbow Cruise and Pokemon Stadium 2. I know you wanted Green Greens Gamegenie but since someone else requested Rainbow Cruise first and the fact that it's more likely to be legal than Green Greens I think it's more important to discuss that first

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
RC weakens a few of falco's good options. Immediate aerial phantasm is a no go on much of the level. laser camping is situational at best while the level is rising on the left side. Most characters who take you to RC will have a better recovery than you, so you need to play even more carefully than usual to avoid getting gimped and/or falling for a trap that puts you in a bad position (e.g. my opponent getting to the platform that appears after the pendulum before I do often leads to damage while i struggle to regain ground).

The mixed blessing of this level is the variable boundaries. The top half of the level after the pendulum is prime killing location for us, with a low ceiling and close right boundary; however, certain moves (mk's shuttle loop, fox's upsmash) tend to be very fatal on that part of the level.

PKMN Stadium 2 is a level which tends to mess with everyone. I supposed if you had plenty of experience there, it wouldn't be too much to worry about. The wind transformation completely disrupts my game though. no shdl, strange timing for aerials... I generally wait that transformation out if possible. The electric transformation is absolutely great if you control the center well. I find my matches on stadium 2 tend to be long and campy, as many characters have a disadvantage on certain parts and avoid combat until the level changes. Stadium 2 also suffers from that same lame edge that stadium 1 has, which sometimes phantasm decides not to grab onto.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
RC vs MK isn't as bad as you think, it's just really really boring to play out. I went MK because I didn't want to play that campy >_>
This man knows what he's talking about. =P

I took the liberty of practicing extensively on Rainbow Cruise as Falco. I think the stage is actually quite good for Falco as long as you're careful about not suiciding constantly. If any of you haven't already, I suggest taking time in training mode (or infinite time no stocks) practicing maneuvering on this stage.

The worst part of RC is dealing with MK on the ship, just because it's really small and there isn't much room to run away from him. He can also plank there.

It's pretty easy to run away from MK during the rest of the stage. Fullhop D-air all day as the transformation is rising on the left side. It beats the Shuttle Loop and Falco jumps so high and so quickly that he'll advance to the top in like no time. Keep this in mind and try to stay on the right side as soon as you reach the upper part of the stage. The latter half of the stage which has a lot of flat terrain that slopes downwards towards you is excellent for laser camping as you can potentially retreat laser camp for a long time.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
The boat part isn't that bad for Falco vs MK. You don't necessarily have to run away from MK there, but you do have to be cautious about dtilt locks or getting gimped with shuttle loop from either side. Remember that the end of the rainbow is where the platforms are located and where the boat docks, so try to get there immediately and stay relatively high up. You pretty much have to play the patient and waiting game by jumping and air dodging or Dairing when necessary. MK could also grab you and uthrow you for an early kill so watch out for that. When the pendulum-type platform comes around, I would suggest waiting on top of the brown platform above it. If MK gets one good hit on you, you're practically screwed since there are no ledges. When the side scrolling area comes around, just stay in the middle at all times and use as many lasers as you can. If you can manage to get a CG, try to get the opponent to the right and eek out an early kill. The ceiling is also relatively low, so it might be good for early kills. Then the cycle repeats.

I personally would suggest banning Brinstar over this stage, but that's me. I'd give the stage a 4/10.

As far as Pokemon Stadium 2 is concerned, I played the stage twice this past Saturday, and I gotta say, it's not too bad. You can actually sweetspot the ledges unlike PS1, but the wind area disrupts a lot of your ground game (SHDL, etc.). When it's at it's normal stage, it's nice for camping, just like PS1. The ground area is alright, though the hill prevents you from laser camping if the opponent decides to wait on the other side. A little fun fact is that if you go on the left, and phantasm while off the ledge, you go through the hill and could catch your opponent by surprise on the other side. You could play the patient game here if necessary. The electric part is pretty neat if you have control of the center. If your opponent has control of the center, you might have to struggle a bit getting stage control again. I'm not familiar with the ice part of the stage. All I know is your bdacus goes across the entire stages, so it's a pretty safe move there.

The stage isn't as bad as other stages, but I'd prefer PS1 over it. I'd say 5/10

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar just ****ing sucks for Falco given the poor platform positions and other **** that interferes with laser camping. RC is actually fine for Falco if you're able to make sure you don't gimp yourself while doing your thing.

On air transformation of PS2, what I suggest doing is walking to the far right or left side, get behind the incline, and start camping with grounded lasers. This enables you to annoy crouchers like Snake!

M@v

Subarashii!
Quick overview of rainbow of how you fight each part; more tomorrow. We are assuming this is vs mk since since is the most common mk cp(most falcos ban brinstar leaving this). The only other person you would fight here a lot would likely be G&W, and the same strategy applies.

Ship: Fight him here. Its just fine for falco. Mk might try to plank the whole time though.

Left vertical section: Try to stay below him if possibe to avoid being juggled, OR a couple levels above him to avoid juggling and to give you reaction time. DON'T try to force an engagement. Only act in self-defense.

See saw of doom: Run. Run away. No seriously. RUN. Stay away from mk/GW at ALL costs because they can gimp you laughably easy here. Get to the other side as soon as you can.

Top part: Fight him. The low ceiling provides early vertical kills, and the mostly flat landscape allows you to effectively laser camp. Play it like an elongated neutral stage. Be warned: The screen moving can screw up your cg timings, so caution if you doing it against characters you need to buffer it for.

The drop down: I'd recommend going down the right side and not risk a gimp on the falling blocks. You have plenty of room to get back to the ship safe.

EDIT: If you face Vinnie's GW here, you just lose. That simple. :urg:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I personally think it's better to be above MK and G&W during the left vertical section. All you want to do there is simply use a lot of fullhop D-airs. If they take the bait and try to Up-B to catch you, most of the time they're just giving themselves free damage. At any rate you don't want either of those characters to be ahead of you as the stage moves. You want to be able to force them to move into you while camping as the stage moves behind you.

Vlade

Social Outcast
So, I think we may have enough info for PS2 and RC. Shall we move on to the next stage(s) ?
In all honesty I think there could have been more posts but I guess it can't be helped if more people aren't keen to discuss stages :S

Feel free to nominate the next stage for discussion

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I nominate Pictochat. Or Castle Siege. Discussing Battlefield or Smashville sounds like it would be boring.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
In all honesty I think there could have been more posts but I guess it can't be helped if more people aren't keen to discuss stages :S

Yeah I know what you mean, but like you said, no one else is adding to the discussion, so the best thing to do is just move on the next one :/

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher

It's b0o0o0oring ******.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Erm... what stages have been discussed? Did we discuss Frigate?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I think first the writeups for rainbow/fd/ps2/frigate should be done.

Then i suggest Pictochat and castle siege. CP's are more important to discuss than neutrals imo. At least at first.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Why can't we do each stage and mark them down so we know which ones we did and also why can' t we just do them at the same time? Because if you notice there are bits and pieces of info, a small discussion and it's done with.

Top Bottom