• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco vs. Marth Matchup help

JTimps

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thesuperguide
3DS FC
4468-0969-2266
Hello I'm fairly new to the smash community and have been playing Falco in tournaments. I'm usually comfortable with my character when playing opponents but when ever I play Marth I feel confined and always at a advantage. Often times I get shield grabbed so I've started working on shine grabbing but what are some other ways to safely approach a Marth without getting punished too hard? Also when I'm above a Marth, either getting combo-ed or stuck on a platform, how to
I get back to neutral without getting hurt too bad? What can I do to feel comfortable while playing a Marth? I appreciate your time and any responses Thanks.

Edg

Smash Cadet
your goal should be to not get grabbed. you should be timing your aerials to hit the bottom of his shield such that you are never getting shield grabbed - if you are getting shield grabbed you are making a mistake. time your lasers and space accordingly so that he is stuck in shield during your approach so that you don't have to put out an early aerial to stuff a potential anti air. try to crossup(land behind him) as much as possible if you are throwing out aerials early as his out of shield options are mostly limited to his front.

shield dropping is important in this matchup because it allows you to get from a platform where you are stuck back to center stage. if you aren't comfortable shield dropping, your gameplan when you get stuck on platforms should be to navigate to the top platform and then work your way back down to center stage. if you are stuck in a chainthrow in general the bast way to di(assuming no platforms) would be slightly behind him forcing him to pivotgrab, increasing the chances that he drops the combo.

control center stage as much as possible because your recovery sucks and he has multiple options to gimp you and you can die at extremely early %.

make sure to punish when he fsmashes into your shield with wavedash -> grab

a good ledgeguarding option when he is holding onto the edge when you are at low % is to space overly close to the edge encouraging him to ledgehop fair and then crouch cancel it into a downsmash.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
I was about to make a thread of this match up XD lol good thing I found this one

So basically what you want to do is keep stage control wich in this match up can be hard, both of these character can punish each other pretty well so your neutral game is key in this match up. Laser Marth when your far or at a distance you know he cant safely approach you, laser too close and you can get grabed or he could jump OOS and fair. Never make your appraches predictable, you always want to mix it up, used space aerials, laser approches, shine grab, nair for shield pressure (safer) and dair when you feel you can shiel poke him

When Shield pressuring Marth remember he has an UpB and it kills, also he has a few other options such as dair OOS

When edgeguarding Marth alwasy remember your bairs coming from bellow beat his aerials, also hanging to leadge I feel is good against Marth, what do is that I hang on and dependng what they do I punish, if the fair me while I have invincibility I let go and do a dair while going back to stage (feels awesome when you get them with this), but you bair is still safer cause if he is safe and spaces his aerial rigth dair wont hit him. Another thing that works grear against marth is Crouch Cancel, literally just stand near te edge crouch and when he does up be dsmash or dtilt, depending on the % both can kill so pick your poison (though I should say that if he sweetspots CC wont work XD)

You want to combo Marth with shine to dair to shine but only to low % atlest up to 30, higher than that dair to uptilt works great, when ever you want to combo him with dair remember to hit him with the soft hitbox cause the hard one will sent him downwards to fast to follow up the combo, I hear that at 0% upthrow and fair combos really well but I have never trd this x.x

(gona keep posting later on, taking small break)

Top Bottom