• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Approach & Mind Game Advice?

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I want to learn some better approaches or mix ups as Captain Falcon on certain characters and different playing styles. I know he can be a combo machine when you can link the approach with his follow ups. But I want to know some other good options when playing a against campers, spammers, stallers, and aggressive players. If you want to know how I play, I typically go short hop nair, short hop dair, and short hop knee, but I'm very aggressive with it. On random occasions I'll do a Falcon Kick or Side B to throw them off. Are there any other mind games or approaches I should do against certain players that can help improve my playing style? I want to improve a bit more as him if I'm going to main him.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
dash dance grab and grabbing in general is ultra important. you basically try to make your opponent think you're gonna hit them so they shield, but then you grab them. Falcon has good combos off of grabs, or at least a tech chase/no-tech punish.
Mixing up everything is where you have to get creative.
Against spammers i would highly recommend getting the 20xx hack pack and practice power-shielding.

s2j uses Falcon Kick to get back to center stage when he's cornered.

btw my falcon sux but i have gained some knowledge over time :D

edit: ah and late up airs are pretty good too. Especially on shield.

Falcon's jab is pretty fast you can use it to not get shieldgrabbed after late aerials, because of the shield stun your opponent suffers. from there you can do either full gentleman or jab -> grab mixups. By mixing up the number of jabs you can throw your opponent off, so they don't know when to go for a shieldgrab/oos option.

If you've gained enough respect you can even go for: run up, cancel your run with crouch (by tapping down and letting go immediately) into gentleman.

Last edited:

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I've started to learn to gentleman somewhat. It's a very tough technique to learn, but is very useful. I see pros using it all the time. I'll try using some of these approaches in the future and maybe try to get more creative with it. And L-Cancel better!!

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Dash dancing is super useful. Just learn to do that well to bait their approach, then go in.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
I've started to learn to gentleman somewhat. It's a very tough technique to learn, but is very useful. I see pros using it all the time. I'll try using some of these approaches in the future and maybe try to get more creative with it. And L-Cancel better!!
The most easy way to gentleman which only works on hit is just triple A in about full speed and hold the third A. Credit goes to Wizzrobe :D

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Falcon's biggest advantage in pretty much all of his matchups is his mobility. That's why DD grab is so useful.

Running at people and trying to hit them with nair in a neutral situation is usually really bad and you'll end up getting punished for it pretty hard. Nair is a good overshoot against retreating opponents. Pivot nair is godlike.

I like doing full hop knees. It's so safe.

A word about jabs/gentleman: gentleman is awesome but the thing is that while you're doing it, you're not moving. So don't miss or throw it out without thinking. Same idea with shield (kind of, you can at least WD oos).

Here's a great post by hax about approaching. Some food for thought:

http://smashboards.com/threads/dont-approach-melees-flaw-dissected.312501/

Last edited:
Top Bottom