• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falcon CHAT! The Captain Falcon Social Thread

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm kind of torn..

I'm honestly really digging my :4falcon:/:4sonic: combo. Sonic's application of speed and movement is completely different from Falcon's. Sometimes my preference in character stems from the matchup itself and sometimes it might the belief a certain playstyle might be more effective against said player. Between the 2, I feel like I can handle anything.

I just love Falcon so much I wanna use him 100%. But I grew up with Sonic and now he's actually good! Tough decisions yo. Either way Falcon is love. Falcon is life.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
So I just played against a good jigglypuff player on for glory and I had a rough time against them. They made it difficult for me with jiggs fairs and nairs so I could not get close enough for a hit or grab. Even worse was when they thought they killed me so they did up b as a sort of taunt,but I got back and tried to f smash them BUT I FELL ASLEEP AND SLID PAST THEM. What is falcon supposed to do against jigglypuff! Maybe this match up is easy for falcon,but I have like no experience in it since I mostly use Marth against jiggs.

ZTD | TECHnology

Got another big tournament today. Zinoto and other good peeps will be here. Wish me luck!

:4falcon:

EDIT: 4th out of 64 today! I played so well with both :4falcon:/:4sonic:. Really pleased with my performance overall. Now I need to stay up here and inch my way closer to Zinoto. I know one day I can though. Super motivated to keep up the training.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I played:

Falcon vs Ike (Win)

Falcon vs Sheik/Shulk (Win)

Sonic vs Pikachu (Win...seeded #5 at the tournament) Yeah I don't care for Falcon vs Pikachu)

Falcon vs Sonic (Loss... seedeed #4) Need to work on this one.

Falcon vs Game and Watch (Win) Rival of mine. His main training partner mains Falcon so he knows the MU intimately.

Falcon vs Sheik (Win.. seeded #8) I actually do not mind this MU. And this Sheik defeated two of the other three good Falcon mains right before playing me.

Sonic vs Mario (Win... seeded #3). Yeah I don't like the Mario MU either lol

Pikachu vs Sonic (Loss...same Sonic player)

So basically I lost to Sonic this weekend lol

Last edited:

JCav

Smash Lord
I played:

Falcon vs Game and Watch (Win) Rival of mine. His main training partner mains Falcon so he knows the MU intimately.
Really impressed with this win, although my main training partner is Lou Rich now lol. Either way, looks like we have to play again, it seems like you've improved significantly.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yeah Dustin and I are 2-1 now in my favor. Game 1 was close but Game 2 he CPed me to one of my favorite stages and I just completely overwhelmed him. He let me get in his head and got frustrated :(

Also thank you! I'm improving so much! Training with Smasher and Kipdog is totally helping.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Man I hate the Sheik matchup so much. It's like, I know it's not that hard, but her Fair and down B infuriate me so much I can't get into a good mindset fighting this character.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Man I hate the Sheik matchup so much. It's like, I know it's not that hard, but her Fair and down B infuriate me so much I can't get into a good mindset fighting this character.
The best player in my city plays Sheik. I get totally rekt when he's inspired, but I rek back when I'm inspired.
It's funny how frequently we 3-stock each other, it makes no sense.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
https://vine.co/v/OFp1w9EFE6w

I was just watching some of Gungnirs footstool combos like this and it got me thinking if there is something cool we Captain Falcon players can pull off with Footstools too?
From what i can think of we don't have any weak hit that can force the opponent to rise up except for the Lightning Falcon Kick custom move but maybe there is something more.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
That's exactly how I feel about ness. One mistake turns into 50% easily vs this guy.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
After playing some games tonight I feel like Sheik is much more manageable, I just have to play patiently and wait for my turn to go in. And use dash pivot dances.

The difficulty of the Ness matchup I feel is dependant on how well the Ness places his PK fires. If they are not placed well you can escape them by simply tapping back multiple times, but if he does place them well they are inescapable and lead to a free Fsmash. I don't know if Ness can have a lot of control on how PKF hits, but as long as you can escape them the rest is just playing safe and not running in like a ******.

Also Falcon's Dtilt at the ledge > Ness' Fair.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
It's just REALLY annoying because Ness's fair stuffs all of our aerials, and if I run in and try to dash grab/attacks, a pivot PKF gets me. And what's the best way to ledge guard vs a ness recovering from above? (Never thought of the dtilt, gotta try that one out, thanks!)

ZTD | TECHnology

After playing some games tonight I feel like Sheik is much more manageable, I just have to play patiently and wait for my turn to go in. And use dash pivot dances.

The difficulty of the Ness matchup I feel is dependant on how well the Ness places his PK fires. If they are not placed well you can escape them by simply tapping back multiple times, but if he does place them well they are inescapable and lead to a free Fsmash. I don't know if Ness can have a lot of control on how PKF hits, but as long as you can escape them the rest is just playing safe and not running in like a ******.

Also Falcon's Dtilt at the ledge > Ness' Fair.
Pretty much against every Sheik I have ever played:

I feel like the MU is just a -1 for us. Sheik is kind of scary off stage and I feel like we'll likely be trailing in percent for the majority of the match against anyone who understands the MU. But I feel like no matter what, victory is always attainable through a hard read or a few.I usually land my kills around 100% ish on Sheiks. Down Throw to Knee is lovely since she's a fast faller so we have a slightly larger window for this setup. Everything else is really just about not getting frustrated when you get walled out for a period of time. There are small windows to punish that you have to really sit and observe before you attempt to confirm anything. You get hit and poked a lot but sealing the deal on the stock is where it evens out. As you said, lots of dash pivor dances and baits/waits is what wins it. I feel like most Falcons struggle mostly because our standard rush down game just isn't as effective here. Sheik has a bunch of hit-confirms on us but eh we're fat.

D

Deleted member

Hello Captain Falcon mains!

I just want to say that I absolutely love how Captain Falcon plays in this game; he's by far one of the most fun and satisfying characters to play as on the roster. In fact, he's one of my secondaries and I think I'm pretty OK with him (in fact, I KO'd a Marth at 50% by sweetspotting the Knee of Justice).
I played a lot of Captain Falcon on the 64 and he kinda feels like that in Smash 4, which I like quite a lot.

Hopefully my skills with Captain Falcon can improve over time as I show my opponents my moves!
Also, is it bad if I taunt "Show me your moves!" at the beginning of every match?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So I see "BOOST FIYAAAAAA" (GP Legend) finally came out here digitally. Recommend it if you don't mind the mode 7 style. I actually perfer Climax > this game to tell you the truth for various reasons. Still good game though.
Speaking of which..they really should go ahead and re-release Climax while their add it. Better yet, translate the rest of the non-englsih text. (Doubt they would unfortunately)

Edit: Found this wonderful thing.

Last edited:

MonkBard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-0453-0713
So yesterday I went to Grand Traverse Smash, hosted by rsr2. There were 4 events: PM Doubles and Singles, and Sm4sh Doubles and Singles. Totally got bodied in both the doubles (I actually managed to Falcon Punch my teammate by accident), and PM Singles. But I managed to get up to quarter-finals in the loser's bracket for the Sm4sh Singles. Obviously, I mained the good Captain. Here were my matchups for that:

Winner's Bracket
:4falcon: vs. :4lucario: (Won 2-1, all the games were super close. Also the lad said my knees were easy to read lol)
:4falcon: vs. :4diddy:/:4marth: (Lost 1-2, managed to body his Diddy with relative ease, but I couldn't beat his Marth. Super close, though.)

On to Loser's Bracket then!

:4falcon: vs. :4kirby:/:4sheik: (Won 2-1, this was my most hype match to be honest. Shrek'd his Kirby, he managed to throw me off my groove with Sheik. Then, the third match was super close. We were both well over 100%, and I managed to hit him with the 180 Falcon Punch. Pretty much everyone lost it at that)
:4falcon: vs. :4zss: (Won 2-1, nothing too fancy here, but he did choke at the end, messing up the recovery)
:4falcon: vs. :4gaw:/:4rob: (Lost 1-2. Beat his G&W, but Rob I had trouble with. His projectiles were basically the bane of my existence. And he also said my knees were easy to read. He shielded every time I tried to knee him, then grabbed for the D-Throw.)

All in all, I had an amazing time, and given that it was my first real tournament (Not counting vanilla Brawl at the library lol), I think I did pretty well. :roll:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
how many approaches besides a grab does captain falcon have
Please try to avoid double posting. Anyways, there is of course dash attack you can use to approach, but a few other approaches you can do are short hop up air and a Falcon Kick to surprise your opponent and close the distance between you two. A pivot grab and pivot f tilt can also be useful.

Last edited:

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
Please try to avoid double posting please. Anyways, there is of course dash attack you can use to approach, but a few other approaches you can do are short hop up air and a Falcon Kick to surprise your opponent and close the distance between you two. A pivot grab and pivot f tilt can also be useful.
im so sorry about the double post, my computer wouldint load so i accidently posted it twice. and thanks for the and thanks for the advice

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
and also im having trouble punishing people who use short hop aerial attacks(such as nesse's nair)i try to use a nair put some attacks have priority over captains nair. do you have any advice

D

Deleted member

and also im having trouble punishing people who use short hop aerial attacks(such as nesse's nair)i try to use a nair put some attacks have priority over captains nair. do you have any advice
If I were you, I wouldn't try to beat out a short-hopped nair. Instead, I would be a bit more defensive and shield their nair and then follow up with a punish. We can go for a forward tilt, one of our own aerials, or a grab (maybe a dash grab depending on the space).
Don't be overaggressive against Ness because he can easily punish you for it.

what approaches should i use instead of a dash grab
As for approaches outside of dash grabs, I like to use dash attacks, running and shielding, neutral and back aerials, and surprise Falcon Kicks.
The dash attack allows Captain Falcon to set up a combo and follow up with a smash attack or aerial.
Running and shielding is pretty useful for predicting opponents and going against projectile heavy players; I used this against a Fireball spamming Mario and he couldn't do much when Falcon was in his zone.
Neutral and back aerials allow for Falcon to space and these are pretty effective attacks in helping Falcon get closer to his opponent. I am more of a fan of the neutral air due to the better spacing and the fact that it hits twice.
Falcon Kicks shouldn't be spammed as they become heavily predictable, but they are good surprise attacks to use and it enables Falcon to follow-up.

One thing I recommend; don't always use dash grabs and mix up your approaches. While the dash grab is incredibly effective, opponents will follow on, bait you, and then punish you.
EDIT: I made a mistake. Definitely use dash grabs as it is an effective tool for approaches, but don't always use it because it can lead into a very hard punish. However, I think there are several match-ups where dash grabs are neutered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
If I were you, I wouldn't try to beat out a short-hopped nair. Instead, I would be a bit more defensive and shield their nair and then follow up with a punish. We can go for a forward tilt, one of our own aerials, or a grab (maybe a dash grab depending on the space).
Don't be overaggressive against Ness because he can easily punish you for it.

As for approaches outside of dash grabs, I like to use dash attacks, running and shielding, neutral and back aerials, and surprise Falcon Kicks.
The dash attack allows Captain Falcon to set up a combo and follow up with a smash attack or aerial.
Running and shielding is pretty useful for predicting opponents and going against projectile heavy players; I used this against a Fireball spamming Mario and he couldn't do much when Falcon was in his zone.
Neutral and back aerials allow for Falcon to space and these are pretty effective attacks in helping Falcon get closer to his opponent. I am more of a fan of the neutral air due to the better spacing and the fact that it hits twice.
Falcon Kicks shouldn't be spammed as they become heavily predictable, but they are good surprise attacks to use and it enables Falcon to follow-up.

One thing I recommend; don't use dash grabs and mix up your approaches. While the dash grab is incredibly effective, opponents will follow on, bait you, and then punish you.
thanks a lot

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
how do you attack against someone who just shields and when you go to grab them they spot doge

Top Bottom