• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

falcon mindgames thread

Hax

Smash Champion
tomorrow i have a crew battle and i might be playing a peach. i usually 2-stock this guy but i really need to 3-stock him (maybe even 4-stock) to establish a good lead for my crew. tips?

and in general, i'm bad vs marth because i can never grab him, since his butter knife outprioritizes everything i have; any suggestions?

i also have a lot of tech skill and nearly no mindgames, any suggestions as to how i could implement some mindgames into my game? any techniques to trick the opponent into giving me an opening?

---

EDIT: this thread is now intended for people to discuss mindgames and other related techniques.. disregard the marth/peach stuff.

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
Against Marth -

Dashdance, and after he lands and does an L-canceled fair this is a good opportunity to jumpcanceled grab him. If he sees this coming and jumps, immediately do a uair or nair, whichever one seems to have the best priority at the time.

Also, if you manage to grab marth when he is around 68-75%, you can uthrow him into a pretty much guaranteed knee. You probably already knew this tough.

jmic

Smash Ace
I think the best thing versus a Marth and Peach is to be patient. You sometimes gotta dash dance camp to and wait for opportunities rather than approach. And when you see those opportunities, punish HARSHLY. If you're technical enough you can punish them 0-death.

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
Well my smash peer is a Marth main so i'll help ya out.
First like jmic said be very patient, I know its hard with Falcon but just jump around and dash dance bit. This will force him/her to make a move. Now make them kinda chase you around a bit. He will mess up sooner or later. Then go in for a grab and combo the **** out of him. Platforms will help immensely with this mindgame. Also I don't know if you are good at tech chasing but use it here, it will get you some raptor boost-->knee/Isai stomp -->knee combos.

As for Peach I really can't help you much. I don't have any good exp from a good Peach, but i would say fake her out into using a dsmash and punish her for it. Peaches are usually trigger happy with the down smash.

I think i heard something about peach being able to chaingrab the **** out of falcon so just dont let anyone grab you.

Hax

Smash Champion
yeah, we lost unfortunately. everyone in our crew was playing like ****, i'm not even kidding..

i hate johning but honestly i was missing l-cancels for the first time in months.. it takes me like 6 hours to warm up.

i did beat the peach, though; whatever.. :(

it was at the killer fleet weeklies, btw, so there was a doubles/singles tourney as well. i got 3rd in teams out of an estimated 20 which is pretty nice even though i average 2nd place, and i got 5th in singles even though i average 3rd/4th place. i would've won my last singles match, but i got shinespiked at 10% which cost me the game.. :(

it's all good i learned a lot today, btw guys wavedashing out of your shield is GREAT against space animals, try it out for yourself. :)

also team matches with items are the ****. LOL

EDIT: thanks for the help guys, dashdance camping peach is great. xD i'm sooo impatient with falcon; can't believe i just realized this. :p

jmic

Smash Ace
Glad you were able to take our advice and use it. :)

Good job man, I look forward to seeing videos of your falcon in my thread in the future. ;)

Venom NY

Smash Lord
Glad you were able to take our advice and use it. :)

Good job man, I look forward to seeing videos of your falcon in my thread in the future. ;)
our crew battle videos should be up soon if you guys wanna see me and hax play in the crew battle ill be posting them up on my thread as soon as their are online

Hax

Smash Champion
lol when you post it i hope i don't get judged by the way i played in the crew battle... >_>

gosh i played like ****.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
You don't know how glad I am to see this, dash dance camping is what I need too. I was about to make a thread, but I'm to impatient when I'm Falcon. Thanks for makingthe thread, and in turn helping me too.

Hax

Smash Champion
You don't know how glad I am to see this, dash dance camping is what I need too. I was about to make a thread, but I'm to impatient when I'm Falcon. Thanks for makingthe thread, and in turn helping me too.
yeah man, my falcon is amazingly impatient; it's even hard for me to dash-dance camp without getting greedy and shffl'ing dairs/knees into them. :/

i'll edit the thread so it's a falcon mindgames thread.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
What I like to do against marth's are dashdance into them and as long as they don't fair for an attack, spotdodge surprise gentlemen downtilt grab combo. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but it helps me sometimes.

Hax

Smash Champion
^sounds alright but falcon's spotdodge is terrible unfortunately. :(

CPTNfalcon

Smash Apprentice
marths I play SHFFL like crazy and seriously **** you if your not patient like everyone said.

little off topic but I heard that when marth does 2 attacks off 1 shorthop, the second move is automatically L-canceled. Is that true O_o?

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
one of the reasons I picked falcon was because of his potential for mindgames. I try to do everything in my power to piss of my opponents so that they forget about any strategy and just want to hit me. I.E. after killing someone, see how many taunts you can get out before they come back in. I like to spam Dairs, especially if they are too dumb to get out of it. Pretending to intercept can sometimes have good results too whenever they are coming back from the stage. Or actually doing it. No one intercepts anymore. I prefer that to edgeguarding.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
my new favorite technique on the annoying Marth I play so frequently is spamming d airs jsut outside of his sheild grab range, and the dair-ing so that i land behind him, and then i've got a grab right there, and thats a poitential combo till death. Falcons mindgames jsut open up such flashy KO's. And whoever it was that perscribed dashdance camping earlier, thanks again, its become my mantra against my friend.

irealyhatepozers

Smash Journeyman
i'm wondering if just dashing into a shield in front of marth into a roll behind them to a grab (or anything else) would work

jmic

Smash Ace
If you think your opponent is dumb enough, then by all means do it. It's just that you have to decide what's the best move for the right time.

You have better options like, as mentioned above, dash dance camping and stuff.

But hey, if it works, it works. Do what you've gotta do to win.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I beat my friends annoying shield grabbing ways with a neat little combo. I kept weaving shffling some nairs jsut outside of his range so he kept going into the sheild, and I did an empty shffl to get him to sheild, then shffled a knee so that i landed behind him, to a reverse knee. Falcon has definitely become my main since I've been working on the mindgames aspect. I've found that falcon is very easy to use to condition your opponent to act to a certain approach in a certain way, opening gaps in his defense.

Hax

Smash Champion
falcon/ganon probably take the most mindgames out of every character in the game.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I found a pretty good tactic towards f-smash happy marths if anyone cares.. well anyways its dash or WD into marths f-smash range, sheild, marth f-smashes, wavedash out of your sheild and grab him. Seems to work especially well against nooby marths.

drunkkunmonkey

Smash Cadet
actually yeah the partner i play with i swear is a baby ken is too amazing with the ken combo and everything to do with marth. i also play with falcon as one of my mains and you have to play patient. i found it that when your in the inside do a nair but dont attack directly after that its jus good to put damage on with that. attacking after the nair will result in him teching and you getting ken comboed or uptilt combo

jmic

Smash Ace
actually yeah the partner i play with i swear is a baby ken is too amazing with the ken combo and everything to do with marth. i also play with falcon as one of my mains and you have to play patient. i found it that when your in the inside do a nair but dont attack directly after that its jus good to put damage on with that. attacking after the nair will result in him teching and you getting ken comboed or uptilt combo
You can totally follow up a Nair. At lower percentages, regrab him. At medium percentages, you can follow up with another Nair or Uair. If you think you're getting Ken combo, DI away from him, never towards him.

Jx31

Smash Ace
All of this advice is way too good, sadly, if I do anything like dashdance camp or repeated dairs my friends get pissed off at me saying crap like "Stop using the same move, its cheap!". :( I need to get to the local lan center pronto.:urg:

Marth101

Smash Journeyman
Against Marth -

Dashdance, and after he lands and does an L-canceled fair this is a good opportunity to jumpcanceled grab him.
Incorrect. Marth can jab right after he shffl's a fair, and that totally screw up your grab. I mean, he can jab you RIGHT after a fair, there is no window at all for a grab to come in, just go ahead and test it yourself... shffl a fair and then jab right after it in training mode or w/e..

Hax

Smash Champion
I found a pretty good tactic towards f-smash happy marths if anyone cares.. well anyways its dash or WD into marths f-smash range, sheild, marth f-smashes, wavedash out of your sheild and grab him. Seems to work especially well against nooby marths.
good tactic, that's what i do. just know that if marth f-smashes your shield you can shffl a knee out of it which is better after 30%.

and, while it isn't THAT much of a difference, it's better to shffl a single-kick nair out of shield into grab. if marth fsmashes you its amazing; you jump, use nair when you're JUST about to hit the floor so one kick hits, and grab. adds about 5% which is great; chipping away health is too good in this game. :p

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
A marth i play turtles really well with his sword. I have to force him to move, off the ground since he turtles so well on the floor. Trick him into going to higher platforms since he's weak from underneath. Also force him to keep moving and stay vunerable in the air, like pokefloats or cruise...

Top Bottom