• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon playstyle survey [NOTE: Questions updated 5/22]

Tenki

Smash Hero
ATTENTION: Some questions have been edited! If you have a previous post here, check the bolded parts in the questions and make adjustments accordingly!

Just an idea, but here are some questions about how people are playing Falcon. Maybe you'll realize something as you answer these, or maybe you'll find similarities with other Falcon players. Maybe you'll see what's working and what's not working.

._.; who knows, maybe there are adjustments to be made in his current gameplay that need to be changed, like how many Ganondorf players were spamming F-airs when Brawl first came out. People were trying to play him using his weaknesses as their main moves instead of looking toward the newer features and finding a new strength there.

Here goes:

1) T/S: Do you try to combo/setup into moves often or just rely on individual moves to rack up damage?
(Speed vs power)

2) Special attack usage: Do you incorporate them often in your game? Are there any moves you tend to not use often in normal play ?
(eg, do you use up-B outside of just recovery? Falcon Punch?)

3) Aerials: Do you rely on the knee/use it often in your game? Do you try to meteor people often?
(Most used/least used aerial kill moves)

4) Ground: Do you use grabs often?

5) Ground: What ground moves do you tend to use the most?
(tilts, smashes, jabs) If you say tilts, be specific on which tilts you use, unless you do in fact use all of them liberally. Same with smashes.

6) General: Do you tend to play off of aerials/shorthopped moves or ground moves?

7) General: If you played Melee, do you find yourself using Falcon's Melee playstyle often or find yourself in the mindset that you can do what you did in Melee?
(Combos, knee kill, etc) Clarification: This is a yes/no + explain question, not a question to choose one or the other >_>

8) General: Do you find yourself approaching with dodge/shield or an attack? If with an attack, specify which ones.
(Offensive vs Defensive)

9) General: Do you tend to play a damage/KO game or do you try to gimp people?
(Which one do you place more priority on?)

Good luck ? ._.;

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
1) Depends partly on who I'm up against, and partly on what i feel like. I mix this up alot, sometimes I'll go on massive hit strings and relentless chasing, then suddenly switch to a defensive style. Oftentimes though, that's just a mindgame, I usually keep up the pressure, it's what Falcon's good at.

2) All the time. I don't use Up+B outside of recovery as much as I'd actually like to, it's a good move, and I HAVE ended combos with it (takes people off guard) but i'm still getting used to it's new hitbox. Other moves I use alot: Raptor Boost both on ground and recovery, Falcon Kick for spacing and approach, even some random damage pokes, and Falcon Punch for surprise KOs.

3) I don't really 'rely' on the knee, no. Do I use it alot? Yes. If I think I can get it, I'm gonna go for it. Oftentimes a Uair is a better option and I'll go with that. I rarely try to spike people with dair (doing it more often now, but still) as it's unreliable, but I looooove aerial raptor boost spikes.

4) Best part of Falcon's ground game, son. Puts them in the air above me, which is the most advantageous position for me, along with going through shields and overall keeping up pressure. I often mix up dthrow and fthrow, a bit of uthrow for spice, and bthrow when I want them off the stage.

5) Ftilt, recently dtilt (love the range), jabs (wheee mess up your opponent), utilt for surprise hits and KOs, Dsmash (alot, it's like his fsmash only it hits behind too) and some fsmash as well (better range than dsmash)

6) I don't shorthop a whole lot, as it gets you nowhere against an opponent on the ground. I tend to mix up both aspects, putting them in the air when I want them there and leading into strings, and when i want to get in some pokes on the ground, I'll do that, but generally Falcon's aerial game is stronger.

7) I've transitioned into a different sort of "zone", as opposed to the "zone" of melee where I was a kneeing combo machnie, I've made it into the Brawl "zone" of dodge, bait, pressure, and punish. I use similar moves, but a different style. I sometimes revert back into melee and get pwned, but it's rare now.

8) This is the biggest thing I mix up. Depending on the stage and who I'm fighting (also spacing) I may throw out a falcon kick, raptor boost, or dash attack, but I find one of Falcon's best moves is the running shield, cause you block stuff with it, can cancel it into a grab, or you can roll or side dodge. Perfect shielding spacie lasers is ftw. A healthy amount of approaching defense is key imo.

9) Both, really. I usually damage/KO, but if i see the chance to set up or get a gimp, I will take it. Off-the-edge gimping is one of Falcon's strong suits due to his good recovery and aerial game. But if it has to be damage/KO, I can do it. At around 60-80%, I'll try to land a knee or a punch for the KO, but not at the expense of my own stock or adding more damage. Sometimes I get the opening, sometimes they go up to 120% and I kill them with a uair or utilt or something.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
1. I go for the combo all the time. Too often to be exact.

2. I use Falcon Punch if I'm desperate but otherwise only if there is a definite opportunity for it. I use Raptor Boost occasionally and Falcon Kick a bit more often. Once in a while I'll use a Falcon Dive by itself but really I only use it as an attack if I'm going for the YES! combo.

3. I use the Knee too much. Sometimes I get into ruts of using Dair too much but there are times when it works into my game nicely. Uair is probably my most used attack. lol Bair is also a fairly regularly used attack in my game. Overall I'm much more balanced with my aerials now. I really think I've grown out of using the Knee so much (finally!). I still use it when I'm desperate though.

4. I use grabs quite a bit, but I almost never punch before the throw. I really need to work on that because I'm leaving a lot of potential damage sitting on the table in every match. My most common throw is Dthrow but I use Uthrow sometimes as well. I Fthrow rarely against certain characters and can't remember ever Bthrowing. lol

5. I use Running A and AAA combo the most. Tilts sometimes (not often enough and not strategically enough though). I use tilts more effectively and efficiently now. :)

6. My entire game revolves around aerials really. I rarely SH-aerial because it's so punishable, but I full hop into FF-aerial a lot. Doing so allows my opponent to make a mistake by whiffing and then I can punish them. If they don't make a mistake though I usually just fall, then right above them use my second jump, see if they'll make a mistake there (they do quite a bit since they don't expect the second jump lol), then attack or retreat depending on the situation. Thankfully I have grown out of this. I am much more balanced and use tilts more efficiently. I do occasionally aerial against grounded foes but only if I see something in their habits/playstyle that would leave them open to getting aerial-ed.

7. YES. ALL THE TIME. It hampers my game/strategy a lot too (see Knee spamming from my third answer lol). I've gotten a lot better about this.

8. I approach offensively. That's also another reason my game is not as good as it should be. I play defensively much more often now.

9. I'd say I play a damage/KO game. But sometimes I try to get a quick gimp in. Edgeguarding is a common practice at all opponent percents though because it always can result in a nice gimp (especially against Ganondorf).

Iwan

Smash Ace
1) Do you try to combo/setup into moves often or just rely on individual moves to rack up damage?
(Speed vs power)

It depends on who I'm playing and what their play style is, but mostly my game consists of patiently stringing together single moves that aren't punishable, and then when the time comes, i go for a flurry of moves (usually during the opponents recovery

2) Special attack usage: Do you incorporate them often in your game? Are there any moves you tend to not use often in normal play ?

I occasionally use up b out of recovery, almost never though...sometimes out of a raptor boost, MAYBE. Also, i really only incorporate Falcon Punch if eiter A: my opponent is idle (after recovery), or for mind games. Even just using it for mind games, i still hit people with it, maybe because it takes them off gaurd. I almost never use the falcon kick, just because a short hopped air dodge is more useful for approach (imo), and the raptor boost is great out of a dash dance, but i usually short hop airdodge through my opponent, and then raptor boost back towards them.

3) Aerials: Do you rely on the knee/use it often in your game? Do you try to meteor people often?

I use the knee and, although i agree it got nerfed to hell, still like it a lot. The old knee was over powered anyway, so if anything this was a good idea (it wasn't a good idea to nerf priority on everything tho : /). It's more of a counter move now, and if you're good at predicting your opponent, the knee is still a valuable asset to Falcon's game. The aerial i use the most though is definitely Falcon's Up-Air...followed closely by his back air..

I grab any chance i get, because it's integral to winning with Falcon.

(tilts, smashes, jabs)

I tend to use his down smash in certain situations, and i use his ftilt, dtilit, and utilt under the right circumstances. His dash attack is a really good move.

6) General: Do you tend to play off of aerials/shorthopped moves or ground moves?

I'd say it's a mix of both, but most of my kills come from off-stage aerials.

7) General: If you played Melee, do you find yourself using Falcon's Melee playstyle often or find yourself in the mindset that you can do what you did in Melee?
(Combos, knee kill, etc)

Never, my play style with brawl falcon is completely different than melee falcon.

8) General: Do you find yourself approaching with dodge/shield or an attack?
(Offensive vs Defensive)

I usually approach with a short hopped airdodge, but i'll change it up and adjust that if my opponent catches on.

In the early going of a match i'll go for gimps, but as the damage starts to pile on, i see no need to risk an off stage fight when i can try and outsmart my opponent and KO them safely from the stage. But yea...you can bet your *** that if i get you off the stage under 100 percent, i'm chasing your *** :p.

fourthmealer

Smash Cadet
1) T/S: Do you try to combo/setup into moves often or just rely on individual moves to rack up damage?
(Speed vs power)
[1] Both. And depends on character. In brawl, trying to combo means ur playing aggresive. Which is easily predictable, and shieldgrab-able. So you gotta mix it up

[2] Least used move for me is falcon kick... Raptor and reverse punch kicks 2 much ***

[3] I rarely use the knee. Enless im in friendlies, or its perfectly setup.

[4] Grabs work defensively, offensively only for mindgames. Shieldgrabs are what kicks ***.

(tilts, smashes, jabs)
Ftilt, all smashes, and Utilt is pimp.

Yes and no. For tedious reasons
(Combos, knee kill, etc)
mained falco in melee

(Offensive vs Defensive)
uh...... yes?

Both? play damage/ko game but if u got the oppurtunity, gimp the **** out of them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
1. I prefer hit and run honestly. But I'll occasionally try to U-air someone after a throw or something like that...
2. I use Special attacks actually more than I did in Melee. I don't use the Falcon Punch. I avoid using the Raptor Boost unless I'm recovering horizontally. I use the Falcon Kick to approach, and I sometimes use the Falcon Dive to grab, since his normal grabs are bad.
3. I try to use U-airs, B-airs, and F-airs frequently. U-airs since they are quick and rangey. B-airs since they are quick and they kill. F-airs since they CAN kill, but also can force tripping. I don't really like using the N-air anymore, and I'll occasionally try to meteor with the D-air.
4. I rarely bother grabbing at this point. Too difficult.
5. I Jab quite a lot in Brawl. Jab combo can tack on about 20% if they get fully caught in it. Sometimes I'll hope for a U-tilt or a stutter step F-smash...
6. I generally stay on the ground since I don't like whiffing something due to the air dodge system.
7. Sometimes I'll accidentally approach with N-airs and D-airs. Every so often I will also whiff a grab I'm sure that could have connected in Melee.
8. I approach primarily with the Falcon Kick. Sometimes I'll go behind someone for a pivot grab.
9. I try gimping. KOing normally is much too arduous to set up.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
1: I try to go for a mix of both. Since Melee, his game has changed dramatically, and I'm hoping that myself, a Falcon main for 7ish, 8 years can help the Falcon community by trying to spread my word around. When I say mix of both, I tend to be very careful when attacking, very defensive, so singular moves are usually best given the situation. Again, If there is an opening for comboing I'll by all means take it, drastically switching game play style from slow to aggressive, back to slow.

2: I incorporate Special more than I did in Melee: Raptor Boost is IMO much better this game, and can lead to some very decent combos. Falcon Kick I find myself rarely using, unless it's to out prioritize someone (eg: Meta Knight's Neut B), Though I do find myself using it when making a recovery from being knocked up off the top screen. His Up-B is a whole new story, stage spiking is fun, and using it every once in a while to catch the opponent off guard is usually when I use it. So yes, I use specials.

3: I Knee when the time is right, no longer spamming it from Melee. I've been practicing it since the game came out, and can land a knee almost every time I use it. Again, it's a situational move now, not a trigger happy blow your face off move. Falcon Punch is great for recovery (scaring people away), Reversing it by only tapping direction instead of a full reverse is still something I do when I'm having fun.

4: Spot Dodge to grab, running grabs are too dangerous now with my play style. Use all throws but U-Throw.

5: F-Tilt, meh, sometimes. U and D Tilt are currently my favorites. D-Tilt leads to some combos, U-Tilt, U-air, B-air are by far my favorite to use. Dash cancel w. Reverse C'd Sidesmash for the extra range if I need it.

6: Mix of Both, whole new Meta-Game baby.

7: Every once in a while my old competitive Melee Falcon will control my body and do things I really shouldn't. I've managed to shift my game play style to a slow, controlled, patient Falcon. I let them come to me, but will go to them if I need to.

8: Defensive by far, with a mix of offensive intertwined, a Hybrid play style per-say. It works for me, my upcoming videos should hopefully showcase it, as I really want it to spread.

9: If suitable against the opponent, I'll go for KO's but due to my defensive nature I tend to damage -> KO. Hey, if you're opponent is hanging on the ledge and you can YES!-Spike them, go for it. If they're making their recovery and I see fit for the moment to go for a spike, I will.

I hope all this helps to my fellow Falcon Friends, may the Shining Knee of Justice and the Nipples of Judgment guide you.

Tenki

Smash Hero
bamp.

also, if you feel your playstyle's changed, [s] it out and replace it.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Just an idea, but here are some questions about how people are playing Falcon. Maybe you'll realize something as you answer these, or maybe you'll find similarities with other Falcon players. Maybe you'll see what's working and what's not working.

._.; who knows, maybe there are adjustments to be made in his current gameplay that need to be changed, like how many Ganondorf players were spamming F-airs when Brawl first came out. People were trying to play him using his weaknesses as their main moves instead of looking toward the newer features and finding a new strength there.

Here goes:

(Speed vs power)

Always go for combos no matter who I am playing. I only make an exeption when they are above 100% then I use a smash for the kill.

I never use up b other than recovery. I use falcon punch for mindgames or when I am winning by at least two stocks

I dont use the knee to often, but if I see an opening then I go for it. As for meteor smashes I always try to gimp peoples recovery whenever I can.

Only if my opponent starts to block to often.

(tilts, smashes, jabs)

tilts and jabs not so much with the smashes

mostly my ground game transfers to my air game so I guess I spend more time in the air

(Combos, knee kill, etc)

neva neva neva.

(Offensive vs Defensive)

Attack I am usually on the offensive unless I see that it isnt working then I go into dodging I dont like shielding because of getting grabed

both of them I love to gimp recoveries (if thats what u mean) and continuously damaging my opponents.

Good luck ? ._.;
Well there is my strategies.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
(Speed vs power)

Generally I'm more combo-oriented (even though its obviously not as effective as melee). I usually try to mindgame into tilts or grabs to open up an opportunity to land some aerials on my opponents.

I don't use Special Attacks all that often. My most used one would be Raptor Boost and I don't use that very much. Occasionally I use Up-B OoS or after an autocancelled gimp knee for the YES! combo.

In terms of aerials I use almost all of them pretty often. In terms of knee usage I would say that I use it a good bit because I seem to get the sweetspot often. I don't go for the spike that much because Captain Falcon's is unreliable due to the changed hitbox it doesn't spike as reliably.

Not all that much. Occasionally I use D-throw to try to lead into stuff.

(tilts, smashes, jabs)

Up-tilt and jab are my most used ground moves probably.

A mixture I suppose. With Brawl Falcon it seems like you need a healthy balance. Its all different foods that build stronger dudes and that's what on your plate

(Combos, knee kill, etc)

Didn't play melee falcon.

(Offensive vs Defensive)

To approach, I generally space a shorthopped nair or bair, mixing them in with empty short hops and dash attacks.

Usually try to gimp people with U-air/B-air edgeguarding since it's fairly easy to do on some chars.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
(Speed vs power)

I always try to use combo and set ups yes. Usually i get 2 or 1 hit down. But when im 3/4 into the stage i can combo em off ;D

O yes i occasionally use side b, but i never forget about it. Falcon punch is mega mindgames, but i use it maybe 4 times a match *i usually go for the reverse*

Knees, nairs, and dairs. I dont use dairs often though. and yeah if im not combing off the stage, im going for the dair *auto cancel dairs is super fast, catches off gaurd nicely*

My downslam is my best friend. I ALWAYS USE IT jab to grab ftw

) Ground: What ground moves do you tend to use the most?
(tilts, smashes, jabs)

I occasionally use them, but only if i know for 100 percent fact it will hit or be comboable *dtilt* utilt ftw
and ftilt for pokes

Well i start off with ground moves, but if u can pull it off right chaining nairs works

(Combos, knee kill, etc)

Honestly, is there any other kind?

(Offensive vs Defensive)

I mostly go for the offensive, but powershielding helps falcons game so much, it leads to a grab gals ;D

My game is just about K0ing them to living hell, in my alphabet soup the only letters are D,A,I,R and F,A,IR

Patinator

Smash Champion
(Speed vs power)

I mainly combo my moves. Dash Attack > Knee works pretty well on my only opponents, CPUs. :laugh:

I sometimes use Up B for damage. Only when I just want to have a random finish against a Lvl. 3 do I Falcon Punch. XD

Yes, yes I do. I use it once every three or four moves. I sometimes use the Side B meteor, but the D-Air is hard. ._.

Not at first, but now I've found the secret to grabbing. Shield + A lol.

(tilts, smashes, jabs)

This may be surprising, but... Tilts.

Well, I use my F-Tilt and U-Tilt a lot, but I also do SH N-Airs and Knees a lot... Both?

(Combos, knee kill, etc)

Considering I Down Throw -> Knee a lot now... I play somewhat like I did in Melee.

(Offensive vs Defensive)

Eh, I usually end up getting hit first either way. But I usually start with a shield grab.

Both. Gimping is FUN! XD

Good luck ? ._.;
My comments in bold text.

TheBirdsGoTweet

Smash Rookie
1)T/S: Do you try to combo/setup into moves often or just rely on individual moves to rack up damage?
(Speed vs power)

I just camp for a little and rely on individual hits and I aim for air combos (Dairs and Nairs mainly)

I use Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick about 33% of the time and upB for recovery. Rarely as an attack (about 1/33%) I'll try the Falcon Punch on heavier characters like Bowser and DDD when they're falling down or recovering and I approach from the air (another 1/33% usage)

I rely on Dairs more than the knee. Meteor is rarely used while the knee is probably used about 5% in the entire match.

Only when I want to attack with Dairs and if I want to throw them off the stage for an attempt to meteor. Otherwise I'll use it to stack damage.

(tilts, smashes, jabs) If you say tilts, be specific on which tilts you use, unless you do in fact use all of them liberally. Same with smashes.

On ground, I like using the Dtilt mostly. I use down and side smashes for kills or to create space. I'd jab leading into a grab or tilt. (Tilts -> Smash -> Jab)

Aerials and short hopped Dairs/Nairs.

(Combos, knee kill, etc) Clarification: This is a yes/no + explain question, not a question to choose one or the other >_>

In Melee I used aerials mostly which is how I approach now as well.

8) General: Do you find yourself approaching with dodge/shield or an attack? If with an attack, specify which ones.
(Offensive vs Defensive)

I'm more Offensive. I approach with aerials, Falcon Kicks, and Raptors

I play to rack up damage and then KO them.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Eh.. long list to try to remember.
1) Individual moves, sometimes I set up, but most of the time it's only 1 or 2 moves that lead into it. Only use combos if I know my opponent sucks at DI.

2) ALL THE TIME I only use CF in FFA or Team battles, so Falcon Punch is my main kill move. I almost always approach with Raptor Boost or Falcon Kick from the air. I almost always use Falcon dive after a failed knee.

3) Meteor only if they're hanging on the edge and I have the perfect spot for a Raptor Boost. Almost never use the dair. Knee is my second main kill move.

4) Never use grabs, I'm not good at getting in close on the ground.

5) I'm mostly aerial, but sometimes I get in a U-Smash or F-Smash, D-Smash is a little too slow for me. Sometimes I f-tilt just to help with spacing.

6) Short hopped aerials all the way. Heck, sometimes even a short-hopped reverse Falcon Punch.

7) Didn't play Falcon in melee.

8) Approach with Raptor boost or Falcon kick almost every time.

9) Knee until they're high in damage and then wait for the opportunity to Falcon Punch or just try to keep kneeing them.

My strategy in a nutshell: Raptor Boost, Jump, Knee, Falcon Dive, repeat x5, Falcon Punch

PeN5iVe

Smash Rookie
(Speed vs power)

very small combos, like running A to uair or raptor boost to uair, maybe to upB if it looks good.

yes, i raptor boost alot on the ground, and ill go out behind my opponent and raptor boost from behind to spike (that way if they dont use c-stick to ariel they will lose momentum in order to defend themselves.) as for falcon punch, its no B&B attack, but you can use it. sometimes ill go on a falcon kick fest, just to mix it up (just 3-4) itll rack up a little damage before they can figure it out since i dont use the move much otherwise, i find the falcon kick's momemtum loss after hitting an opponent causes it to be a little too punishable. falcon dive rocks!

i use them all alot, but uair the most, and bair the least since i only use it to kill or sh-airdodge-bair, or if the opponent is coming from behind and under... very situational. the knee i dont really use for arial combat its more for attacking ground targets from the air, but occasionally if i think i have a good shot at sweetspoting by looking at the opponent's trajectory based on my own, ill pull it out.

i switch to grab-fests every now and then to shake things up, i find it lowers my pradictability a bit.

i have a tendancy to be a little heavy handed with the stick, so i dont use U or D tilt too much cause im afraid ill accidentally smash, its a real shame cause these are some really good moves, and utilt is a viable kill move. but i use ftilt and gentleman+first set of inf, raptor boost, running A, running usmash.

ground. SH moves do some damage, and leave you just as open to getting punished as much as rolling or spotdodges would, but ground moves do damage and either knock your opponent up (raptor boost, running A) or lead into that (jab and grab, dash grab) allowing you to use those same ariels much more effectively.

No. hardly played melee.

(Offensive vs Defensive)

attacks. but ill roll when they expect that. or if they counter my dash atempts by throwing out jabs, i switch to the higher priority falcon kick, and then defense. always try to mix it up.

damage/KO, id have to feel that i really have my opponent's balls in the air to gimp them. spikes ill go for, but im not gonna jump way the heck out for a couple uairs.

Good luck ? ._.;

no need, i have the glow.
could use some spelling though.

Top Bottom