• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Laser Lock on Snake

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Today I was messing around with my friend and he was playing as Snake.I found something that I thought all Falco players would like to know. When Snake falls down onto his stomach after being knocked down, if Falco is spamming his laser Snake will be locked and unable to move until he is eventually knocked off the ledge (unless something comes in between them). Note that this can only be done on a flat surface because snake needs to stay in position.

I will be testing this with other characters later to see if this is only with Snake.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Wow, try that with other characters that crawl! That could be a crawl safe plain for Falco!

Did the blast aim down at Snake or was it a glitch looking thing
?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Wow, try that with other characters that crawl! That could be a crawl safe plain for Falco!

Did the blast aim down at Snake or was it a glitch looking thing
?
You can't angle Falco's lasers, its just a normal spam. Its not during the crawl if thats what you were talking abut. Its after he gets knocked down there is an animation where his body slightly goes up again. If you are spamming him during that his body will fling up and down and he can not get out. Nothing can be done to break it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaa_Lt9sqQ

saberhof

Smash Master
omg COMBO =D...

nice find, have you done this in a real match?...i can find a million and one uses for this =D...and i dont even have the game xD

i favorite your vid...lol xD

Ryan-K

Smash Master
You can't DI the laser? I think one would be able to considering it looks like it actually kind of has knockback albeit a set and very very low one as opposed to the stun in melee which didn't knock people backwards.

Seems nice (and broken, lol) but I think the fact that people will be teching less in the game due to that its so floaty makes it a bit situational but still nice find i guess lol.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
omg COMBO =D...

nice find, have you done this in a real match?...i can find a million and one uses for this =D...and i dont even have the game xD
Yeah, I have done it in a real match. I don't play Falco much but like you said, there are a million and one uses. =P

You can't DI the laser? I think one would be able to considering it looks like it actually kind of has knockback albeit a set and very very low one as opposed to the stun in melee which didn't knock people backwards.

Seems nice (and broken, lol) but I think the fact that people will be teching less in the game due to that its so floaty makes it a bit situational but still nice find i guess lol.
You can't DI out of it no. Like you said it will be situational, but when that situation comes up its cool. Depending on how many characters this works on it could be really cool lol. I will try and get to looking tonight. =P

Plaz

Smash Rookie

Good point! Which way would you DI it, though? Down to tech? Definitely not towards Falco. Would DI backwards alter the interval of the laser hits?

saberhof

Smash Master
You can't DI out of it no. Like you said it will be situational, but when that situation comes up its cool. Depending on how many characters this works on it could be really cool lol. I will try and get to looking tonight. =P
Awesome, i hope to see more vids =D...

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Update! This also works on Ike and Shiek! It may work on everyone.

Edit: It also works on Jigglypuff and Sonic, good chance this works on everyone in the game.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Good point! Which way would you DI it, though? Down to tech? Definitely not towards Falco. Would DI backwards alter the interval of the laser hits?
Or smash DI up. You can smash DI lasers in melee anyway but well have to see in brawl. Since DI is alot stronger in this game one could probably go up a decent distance (in relativity anyway) and jump out. I still think this may be able to DIed but whatever.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good, this means that you can just spam it and rank the opponent's damage up and then go in for the kill, the only problem is that you can only play 2 minutes when going against random people.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
there has to be a way to tech it before you get hit again.
i'm not sure but is snake hitting the ground each time?
that's techable then.

i'm having doubts that this is inescapable.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
there has to be a way to tech it before you get hit again.
i'm not sure but is snake hitting the ground each time?
that's techable then.

i'm having doubts that this is inescapable.
Snake isn't hitting the ground after each shot. The shots are making him "hover."

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i hope this can be escaped, or this game is already ruined in a way
if it's completely inescapable, it would only work on FD, i realized.
any other stage has slopes, and i assume FD has the longest flat land compared to other stages. so anywhere else won't be as bad.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Hah! XD Falco already has an exploit. Good work finding this, though I probably won't end up using it until it becomes common practice. btw, off topic, but...I'm REALLY curious about his shine, if you don't mind recording yourself messing around with it in training, I'd appreciate it. Specifically how it hits and when if you're wondering. Thanks. ^_^

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Yet again the devs screw over Snake... You'd think they would put in an equal amount of effort for third parties.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
LAZ0R LOCKDOWN U CANT DO **** IM FLACO LAMBIRDO MANG

THERES FAST AND THEN THERES FALCO FAST *whoopa whoopa ding!*

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I did some more testing on other character and it seems harder to do on some...Sonic and Young link for example tend to be harder to start it with. They also break out of it randomly. Maybe it can't be done infinitely on some characters...I will try more later.

Here is a Video of the Infinite Laserlock on Sheik (Doing the Laserlock against a wall):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UTpaKhElhk

harumph!
what if he would DI down?

i'm all for broken falco techniques, but i think it needs to be tested more lol.
You can't DI in any direction, I have tried.

Yet again the devs screw over Snake... You'd think they would put in an equal amount of effort for third parties.
It works on more then just snake.

i hope this can be escaped, or this game is already ruined in a way
Its not hard to prevent yourself from hitting the ground like that. This game isn't like Melee, its slower so there is more time to tech. Air dodging helps preventing the land as well.

Seriously there needs to be a patches for this ****. We shouldn't be finding game breaking exploits this ****ing soon.
I wouldn't call this game breaking. Ice Climbers had an infinite and Melee was fine. This isn't even an infinite unless you have a wall, and even then they need to keep spamming the laser non stop without any flaw. Sounds easy, but it isn't after spamming the button non stop 100+ times lol.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that there will be downloadable patches to fix things like this and that wall infinite glitch that some characters have. Once enough people complain I'm sure they'll fix it.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
I think that there will be downloadable patches to fix things like this and that wall infinite glitch that some characters have. Once enough people complain I'm sure they'll fix it.
patches.. i wonder if they will include anything big with the patches aside from big fixes.. like new characters?

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Sheik hits the ground in between laser hits. Maybe some characters can tech out of it?
Sheik isn't hitting the ground. Compare it with when they first hit the ground before the lasers begin. You can tell when there's an impact.

This appears to work because they're stuck in the initial 'bounce' part of the missed tech animation before when you'd land and then be able to roll/stand/attack, but since hitting them during this time doesn't force them to get up like it did in Melee (like the Thunders combo) they get locked into that part of it where you're unable to act yet.

Also, when they go off the edge it cancels the missed tech animation they were stuck in and just fall normally.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
well see, shiek hit the ground first in that video. and she also would've been able to do a 2nd jump. i guess you'd have to read your opponent really well and then bank on them missing a tech in order to pull this off.

Cless

Smash Champion
I guess it looks like you're always gonna have to tech on flat stages when playing Falco then. Bad news for Shadow Moses Island.

No Limitz

Smash Cadet
Since the combo ends when there's no ground under the person being shot at the simplest solution is to just ban all stages with Walls.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
The technique is broken, yes. But really, only the most casual person is going to fall for that in actual competitive play. They're not just going to take an attack and go down and not tech on the ground or hit Falco coming down and let him **** them with a laser. I don't think this will be very feasible against a competitive player.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Hah! XD Falco already has an exploit. Good work finding this, though I probably won't end up using it until it becomes common practice. btw, off topic, but...I'm REALLY curious about his shine, if you don't mind recording yourself messing around with it in training, I'd appreciate it. Specifically how it hits and when if you're wondering. Thanks. ^_^
In the Infinite Laser-lock video I had up I have Falco use his shine on Sheik lol. There really isn't much to it. It does more of a knock back based on the percent of the opponent. It seems to do damage only when going out, however, it reflects at all times when out. Hope that helps you =)

Edit: Just making sure you're not confused, Falco first uses his taunt before using the Shine in that video. Thats not part of its animation. The Shine itself comes out instantly.

The technique is broken, yes. But really, only the most casual person is going to fall for that in actual competitive play. They're not just going to take an attack and go down and not tech on the ground or hit Falco coming down and let him **** them with a laser. I don't think this will be very feasible against a competitive player.
Like you say, it really won't happen much in high competitive play. Its just something Falco players should watch out for. If someone does miss a tech, even on a level without walls thats a good chunk of a percent.

Top Bottom