• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Match-Up Chart thread

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
This is a really interesting thread... and after having to deal with a ridiculous amount of CC grabbing myself, one (or hopefully all) of you might find some thoughts on this interesting:

@Mogwai, PP, etc anyone concerned with CC/SDI stuff

When people SDI out of your shine range as fox, you can buffer a spot dodge. This turns it into a 50/50. If they SDI your dair away and try to go for a grab, you can purposely dair to bait the grab and just buffer a spotdodge to make sure they don't hit. After that, you get any free hit you want on them. That's only one example of something fox can do, but it's a great example of how you can instantly turn something like that into a 50/50. This is assuming they SDI consistently, which while its not that hard, chances are your opponent will miss it at least once, thus turning the tables in your favor.

Additionally, you can u-air opponents who CC too much, which is an interesting thought that doesn't seem very applicable to me, but might be. That's just an idea, but far more importantly:

If your opponents stay on the ground trying to CC, fox's dash game in general allows him to maneuver well enough to avoid having to resort to nair/bair at low %s.

-If you get a dair, it leads to a waveshine --> combo, and helps gets them out of gay CC range.
-Any grab forces your opponent into the air, if you can keep them there until mid percent, or maybe get two grabs, you've once again eliminated the extent to which CC destroys fox. His upthrow does 7%, a pummel does 3%, a bair does 15%. One upthrow bair can net you 25%. Do that twice, and shoot a laser or two, they're already out of CC range. Obviously I'm oversimplifying a bit, but if fox just relies on his dash game until he can get 2 grabs total, he's already beaten CC grab. This leads me to:
-As stupid as it sounds, this is the most important one in my opinion... your opponent can't CC in the air. In a ground game fight, fox's dash game on its own allows him to exploit even the tiniest openings, allowing him to build up enough damage that CC ceases to **** you (such as getting two grabs). Most characters (Marth/Peach/Sheik in this case) have to rely on some form of aerial game to beat fox, because on the ground its relatively simple for him to get 2 grabs. If they're in the air, CC obviously isn't a problem, and fox can play his standard game. A peach who sits there without using floats won't beat you. A sheik who sits there tilting/dashing etc can't beat you; fox's dash game is far superior. In marth's case his dash game rivals yours because of a longer dash in addition to an amazing grab. At this point fox has to rely on things I have previously mentioned, or:
-Fox has lasers. He doesn't have to get them to 50% with lasers only, but with a combination of maybe one waveshine combo, a grab combo, and some lasers, its not that hard to get opponents to a mid percent where it's safe to start spacing bairs. Lastly...
-Fox can approach using his shine.

At this point, with well spaced/delayed aerials, CC only is really obnoxious with marth because of his grab range. At mid percents, fox can avoid getting CC grabbed even whilst spacing bairs etc.

CC grabbing is really annoying, and limits fox's game indeed, but to me it is no different than someone who can powershield falco's lasers well. Even if someone can powershield lasers with an 80-90% consistency, there are still ways to make use of laser, and even take advantage of the fact that your opponent relies on it: baiting their shield is just one example.

That said, it can be obnoxious, but I must honestly say that it only seems to be such a great limitation to fox's game at first glance.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Puff today is just the Sheik of a few years ago. The two top players in the world use Jigglypuff, but no other mains even make it into the bracket except Darc. Meanwhile, if you look at the top 48 at Apex, you can see Fox scattered all along. Fox is Jigglypuff's hardest match-up, and Fox is also the most common character, so only Jigglypuffs that do well vs Fox or are at least excellent against every other character make it far.

Anywho, what do you guys think of Falco vs the Bottom/Negligible characters?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's pretty bad for those bottom characters because they have less answers to lasers and can't really challenge Dair very well.

Do you want me to try to list ratios for all of them or something? I don't really have any for lower-tiered characters but I guess I can BS some if you want.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
whenever okamibw gets to it, i'll show everyone a very good example of why Falco ***** peach on RC without resorting to a wall of text. :]

Tero.

Smash Champion
Fox: 55
Jiggs: 45
Sheik: 55 (might be 50)
Marth: 40 (might be 45)

Falcon: 60
Peach: 50 (might be 45)
Ganon: 65
Ice Climbers: 50 (might be anything from 10 to 90, ICs are lol, I don't really know)

Samus: 55 (might be 60)
Doc: 55
Mario: 60
Pikachu: 60

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Lol marth 40. I put that **** at a 50. And honestly, I feel like falco does just as good if not better against falcon as he does vs ganon. G just doesnt get comboed as hard as falcon sometimes and puts you in a lot of situarions that are hard to recover from.

Sorru for typos, writing from ipod

TheGoat

Smash Ace

Ice Climbers: 50 (might be anything from 10 to 90, ICs are lol, I don't really know)

Looks pretty good, but:
-40 is way to low for marth. I thought it was more evenish.

-Doc and Samus, no way they have the same ratio as fox. I say at least 60:40.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

I can bring myself to somewhat agree with all of these except:

1. *mostly curious: Why does Falco beat Fox to you?

2. There is no way Ganon loses that badly. He has a ton of defensive options and only needs one or two openings per stock on Falco. I'd say 60/40 is a better ratio since Ganon still is pretty slow and is probably a little easier to edgeguard.

Edit: I'm cool with that Marth ratio (40/60 or 45/55) honestly. Marth needs to step up and start stuffing all of Falco's lasers/approaches/pressure again and make him feel helpless at high level again.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
2. There is no way Ganon loses that badly. He has a ton of defensive options and only needs one or two openings per stock on Falco. I'd say 60/40 is a better ratio since Ganon still is pretty slow and is probably a little easier to edgeguard.
Hey, this new guy knows his stuff. Hes right what he says about this ganon guy.

But I still disagree with marth being 40 lol. I could maybe settle for 45. but leans closer to 50 as of right now imo.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I can bring myself to somewhat agree with all of these except:

1. *mostly curious: Why does Falco beat Fox to you?

Edit: I'm cool with that Marth ratio (40/60 or 45/55) honestly. Marth needs to step up and start stuffing all of Falco's lasers/approaches/pressure again and make him feel helpless at high level again.
1. Well it's only by a small margin and I think it's heavily stage dependent (like I think it's in Fox favor on FD). Falco just has those auto-combos and they get even better on platform stages (unlike Foxes). I just think Falco is capable of racking up damage faster and has better set ups for his killing moves (and imo his kill moves work out better in this MU). You could obviously argue that Falco off stage is a sitting duck but eventually this applies to Fox as well.

2. Ganon can't really move in this MU. If you play the Ganon MU as Fox you got easy combos, easy edgeguard and the opportunity to preassure him (into mistakes) better than any other character (except for Falcon maybe). Falco has the same options as Fox and aditionally lasers really kill Ganondorfs movement. He is slow on the ground and in the air, he got no option of crouching under lasers and if he tries to shield them he is easy pray because all his out of shield options are horribly slow.
Plus Ganondorf is really bad at approaching and there is no character that can force an approach better than Falco.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
1. Well it's only by a small margin and I think it's heavily stage dependent (like I think it's in Fox favor on FD). Falco just has those auto-combos and they get even better on platform stages (unlike Foxes). I just think Falco is capable of racking up damage faster and has better set ups for his killing moves (and imo his kill moves work out better in this MU). You could obviously argue that Falco off stage is a sitting duck but eventually this applies to Fox as well.

2. Ganon can't really move in this MU. If you play the Ganon MU as Fox you got easy combos, easy edgeguard and the opportunity to preassure him (into mistakes) better than any other character (except for Falcon maybe). Falco has the same options as Fox and aditionally lasers really kill Ganondorfs movement. He is slow on the ground and in the air, he got no option of crouching under lasers and if he tries to shield them he is easy pray because all his out of shield options are horribly slow.
Plus Ganondorf is really bad at approaching and there is no character that can force an approach better than Falco.
1. I think Falco's combos suffer more on platforms since he has a harder time(with his lesser horizontal mobility) covering the entirety of a platform. On FD Falco and Fox both 0-death each other pretty easily(Fox with CGs and Falco with hard combos offstage into easyish edgeguards), but with platforms Falco loses most follow ups after his guaranteed stuff(40%~) because it becomes a guessing game then or just unfinished combos, whereas Fox can tech chase on reaction easily from his hits on platforms or on the ground due to his insane running speed.

As for setups: Falco can't really set up Fsmash beyond like 50% from an uptilt or something and Fox can Uthrow upsmash around actual killing percents(correct me if I'm wrong), or Fox can at least get Uthrow Bair to easy edgeguard at killing percents(*I don't think Fox needs many kill setups anyway since a solid Bair offstage means Fox can get that edgeguard pretty easily if he does the edgehop Bair to rising Bair that a lot of tri-state has started doing to farther out spacie recoveries). Oh, well Falco can get a Dair into Fsmash or a spike Dair or shine into Dair so I guess I end up seeing that as evenish too.

I see Fox make it back to the stage more than Falco, but I guess that could be even too? I dunno Fox's up-B is pretty awesome.

Guess that's just my opinion on it, and you can debate it if you want to(I wouldn't mind haha). I'd say it's evenish/slightly Fox's favor if I had to say. It's close though for sure.

2. Falco is a lot slower than Fox, which helps Ganon a lot. Falco would have to stop lasering to move in, and Ganon can move off of the minimal laser stun to beat those approaches out. Ganon also has several answers to lasers anyway, including taking the hit to jab(stuffs more followups than you'd think, and mixing in Ftilt instead of jab stuffs the rest of them), shielding and then dropping it right after to Uair/Fair OOS to stuff approaches, and Bair walling which has the same backup plan if you whiff as Uair/Fair OOS which is taking the laser hit and Uair'ing immediately/DJ'ing and retreating Fair'ing(you're safe if you do that). Aside from all of that, Ganon's shield is really **** and(I've seen Magus' post on this) if Ganon shield DIs Falco's Dair away from him then Ganon can shield grab the shine attempt so long as Falco doesn't double shine or FH away. Sometimes the shield is big enough for Ganon to grab Falco before the shine comes out since the Dair would hit so high anyway, but usually Falcos are safer about that these days.

Again, Falco still gets to control a lot of the match and has killer pressure and edgeguarding and combos, so it's not like I'm saying Ganon has it really good or anything. I just think Ganon doesn't get countered by Falco due to some good answers to lasers and his **** shield/punishment game.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Edit: I'm cool with that Marth ratio (40/60 or 45/55) honestly. M2K needs to step up and start stuffing all of Falco's lasers/approaches/pressure again and make him feel helpless at high level again.
fix' d

Tero.

Smash Champion
1. I think Falco's combos suffer more on platforms since he has a harder time(with his lesser horizontal mobility) covering the entirety of a platform. On FD Falco and Fox both 0-death each other pretty easily(Fox with CGs and Falco with hard combos offstage into easyish edgeguards), but with platforms Falco loses most follow ups after his guaranteed stuff(40%~) because it becomes a guessing game then or just unfinished combos, whereas Fox can tech chase on reaction easily from his hits on platforms or on the ground due to his insane running speed.

As for setups: Falco can't really set up Fsmash beyond like 50% from an uptilt or something and Fox can Uthrow upsmash around actual killing percents(correct me if I'm wrong), or Fox can at least get Uthrow Bair to easy edgeguard at killing percents(*I don't think Fox needs many kill setups anyway since a solid Bair offstage means Fox can get that edgeguard pretty easily if he does the edgehop Bair to rising Bair that a lot of tri-state has started doing to farther out spacie recoveries). Oh, well Falco can get a Dair into Fsmash or a spike Dair or shine into Dair so I guess I end up seeing that as evenish too.

I see Fox make it back to the stage more than Falco, but I guess that could be even too? I dunno Fox's up-B is pretty awesome.

Guess that's just my opinion on it, and you can debate it if you want to(I wouldn't mind haha). I'd say it's evenish/slightly Fox's favor if I had to say. It's close though for sure.

2. Falco is a lot slower than Fox, which helps Ganon a lot. Falco would have to stop lasering to move in, and Ganon can move off of the minimal laser stun to beat those approaches out. Ganon also has several answers to lasers anyway, including taking the hit to jab(stuffs more followups than you'd think, and mixing in Ftilt instead of jab stuffs the rest of them), shielding and then dropping it right after to Uair/Fair OOS to stuff approaches, and Bair walling which has the same backup plan if you whiff as Uair/Fair OOS which is taking the laser hit and Uair'ing immediately/DJ'ing and retreating Fair'ing(you're safe if you do that). Aside from all of that, Ganon's shield is really **** and(I've seen Magus' post on this) if Ganon shield DIs Falco's Dair away from him then Ganon can shield grab the shine attempt so long as Falco doesn't double shine or FH away. Sometimes the shield is big enough for Ganon to grab Falco before the shine comes out since the Dair would hit so high anyway, but usually Falcos are safer about that these days.

Again, Falco still gets to control a lot of the match and has killer pressure and edgeguarding and combos, so it's not like I'm saying Ganon has it really good or anything. I just think Ganon doesn't get countered by Falco due to some good answers to lasers and his **** shield/punishment game.
You're obviously the top player and I'm just some random european so you're probably right and I can't really argue much of your points I still like to point some stuff out:

1. My opinion on this still stands especially on the platform stuff. Playing kJaB a lot made me realize how much Falco actually gains from using platforms. On FD I always had the feeling Falco can do his standard auto combo stuff up to like 50% and then it gets kinda sloppy whereas on platform stages there is a possibility to continue the combo and even land a proper kill move (like techchase fsmash on a platform)

Also I'm playing PAL meaning Falco gains a lot more from those nerfs (like Fox has a way shorter up B and can't Usmash out of Uthrow at killing %) so this might make the 5 points difference.

2. I still don't get where you see that "**** shield game" on Ganondorfs side. Like what other options does he have apart from a horribly slow dair oos, a highly situational up B oos and a decent grab?
I know what Magus picture you are talking about but Shield DI isn't unique to Ganon and it doesn't work on Falcos Nair anyway.
The whole taking the laser and then do stuff thing isn't exclusive to Ganon either and apart from a jab which really doesn't lead to anything with a bit of DI and proper usage of L/R to tech and a Ftilt which leads to even less than nothing what does Ganondorf have?
All of his anti-approaching game (jump back fair, run back jump bair) does not work on Falco because 1. Falco doesn't have to approach and 2. Lasers stop both of Ganons options.

If you think the MU ain't that bad, could you maybe elaborate what Ganondorf has on Falco (apart from easy edgeguarding which applies to anyone of the cast)?

I played a lot against Qlex (best Ganon in Europe) and Makkura (2nd best Ganon in Europe) is one of my regular training partners so I can at least assert that I know the MU at least decent (not only as Falco but in general) and also I'm quite sure that the general consensus is that Falco is one of the top Ganondorf counters (the other ones beeing Falcon, NTSC Sheik and imo also Fox but apparently many Ganon players don't think that, actually I do think Ganon gets ***** super hard by most of the upper cast but people still struggle a lot because they don't know the MU).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You're obviously the top player and I'm just some random european so you're probably right and I can't really argue much of your points I still like to point some stuff out:

1. My opinion on this still stands especially on the platform stuff. Playing kJaB a lot made me realize how much Falco actually gains from using platforms. On FD I always had the feeling Falco can do his standard auto combo stuff up to like 50% and then it gets kinda sloppy whereas on platform stages there is a possibility to continue the combo and even land a proper kill move (like techchase fsmash on a platform)

Also I'm playing PAL meaning Falco gains a lot more from those nerfs (like Fox has a way shorter up B and can't Usmash out of Uthrow at killing %) so this might make the 5 points difference.

2. I still don't get where you see that "**** shield game" on Ganondorfs side. Like what other options does he have apart from a horribly slow dair oos, a highly situational up B oos and a decent grab?
I know what Magus picture you are talking about but Shield DI isn't unique to Ganon and it doesn't work on Falcos Nair anyway.
The whole taking the laser and then do stuff thing isn't exclusive to Ganon either and apart from a jab which really doesn't lead to anything with a bit of DI and proper usage of L/R to tech and a Ftilt which leads to even less than nothing what does Ganondorf have?
All of his anti-approaching game (jump back fair, run back jump bair) does not work on Falco because 1. Falco doesn't have to approach and 2. Lasers stop both of Ganons options.

If you think the MU ain't that bad, could you maybe elaborate what Ganondorf has on Falco (apart from easy edgeguarding which applies to anyone of the cast)?

I played a lot against Qlex (best Ganon in Europe) and Makkura (2nd best Ganon in Europe) is one of my regular training partners so I can at least assert that I know the MU at least decent (not only as Falco but in general) and also I'm quite sure that the general consensus is that Falco is one of the top Ganondorf counters (the other ones beeing Falcon, NTSC Sheik and imo also Fox but apparently many Ganon players don't think that, actually I do think Ganon gets ***** super hard by most of the upper cast but people still struggle a lot because they don't know the MU).
1. Ahhh okay, well that's a fair thing to say then.

2. Like I said before, Uair OOS is very safe(and stuffs approaches) and can lead into DJ retreating Fair which is very safe. This keeps hitboxes out which keeps Falco out. I don't mean **** shield game as in necessarily what Ganon can do when Falco is on his shield, but I mean it in such a way that if Ganon is in his shield he can stop Falco from getting to his shield somewhat easily and if Falco gets to his shield then he still has a good shield by itself so that helps him a fair amount.

I bring up the shield DI and the jab thing because Ganon has a pretty good shield and is tall so it benefits him more than other characters. The jab thing covers most approaches and ends quickly so it's hard to punish. Also if Ganon gets the jab he can dash attack afterward sometimes, which starts up some good combos.

The point of me saying all of these things is that Ganon eventually starts to crowd Falco out using his bigger moves and counters for Falco's approaches. At some point Falco has to approach to regain stage control or Ganon will hit him/Uair any sort of FH escape plan he tries. Ganon isn't bad at keeping Falco in a campier state of mind and while that does work on Ganon pretty well there's also the bonus Ganon gets for having some different answers to Falco's approaches(again like Uair OOS or just taking a laser mid air and coming down with a Fair from a DJ if you don't want to get into general tactics that many characters can use vs Falco, but I don't know why that matters because it still is something that is on Ganon's side against Falco).

I'm trying to avoid the point that if Ganon does this effectively he can "scare" Falco because you're really not supposed to think about that in matchup discussion but it tends to be somewhat difficult to deal with when you have to be incredibly meticulous with your apporaches.

Ganon juggles Falco easily with Uairs and pushes him offstage easily with them(one of the few that can directly challenge Dair and be rewarded for it), most of Ganon's moves push Falco offstage(especially above like 55%~) which means there is little room to mess up when finishing Falco off early, Ganon has sweeping, fast moves that hit Falco out of his lasers easily(Bair/Fair from the air go right on Falco's head which is unprotected with a hitbox as he lasers, and moves like jab/Ftilt are quick enough to do on reaction to an extent and can stuff the laser before it comes out/while trading with it[which is a great trade and is one that Falco obviously wants to avoid but Ganon can/will attempt to make frequently]).

I can see why you'd say 65/35, but after playing Linguini(among others in this matchup) I believe that Ganon definitely has potential in the matchup.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
*I don't think Fox needs many kill setups anyway since a solid Bair offstage means Fox can get that edgeguard pretty easily if he does the edgehop Bair to rising Bair that a lot of tri-state has started doing to farther out spacie recoveries). .
what is this?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I saw a lot of tri-state doing this thing where you grab the edge as Fox if someone is a little above the edge height but far enough away to not go too far with up-B if they used it.

They would edgehop Bair to cover sweetspotting and going over the edge, and if someone went high then they would have time to FH Bair/SH Bair depending on where that person went to make sure they got the hit.

I dunno I saw tri-state doing it and it works pretty well if you know when to execute haha(even moreso on Falco since his recovery doesn't go as far as Fox's).

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
If all Ganon mains played like lv 9 Ganons, we would have a problem.

Powershield and jab all dai.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Cant forget upb on the ledge.

****, too good.

but seriously, a ganon with perfect power shielding skill would be insane. and would be mad deass against any falco.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I saw a lot of tri-state doing this thing where you grab the edge as Fox if someone is a little above the edge height but far enough away to not go too far with up-B if they used it.

They would edgehop Bair to cover sweetspotting and going over the edge, and if someone went high then they would have time to FH Bair/SH Bair depending on where that person went to make sure they got the hit.

I dunno I saw tri-state doing it and it works pretty well if you know when to execute haha(even moreso on Falco since his recovery doesn't go as far as Fox's).
I would like to throw in that, in addition to FJ/SH Bair to cover the high option, dsmash works exceedingly well, and is faster.

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think that if falco plays the matchup perfectly it IS 55:45 falco.

see: mango vs jman pound 4

Edit: said mango vs lucky on accident :D

Also I'd like to add that I do think falco has more combo potential on platform stages with quick enough reaction time and good move choice, it's hard to argue with how consistent mango's combos are in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3oFPSq8mZo

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
I think falco does a lot better against puff than people think. A lot of people I have talked to think falco is helpless against puff. I think now it is more like a 55 - 45 in falcos favor.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Falco does fine against Puff, she can gay him pretty hard tho.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
this thread is great. but i definitely agree about lasers being way more of a commitment then people think. ive only gone to a few tourneys but thats one thing that i really took out of it. i really had to watch out for times i could laser with out getting *****. but puff vs falco is even or slightly in puffs favor. i think when the matchup developes a little bit more then falco will really be able to take advantage of forcing puff into teching situations. she has a pretty slow tech roll( correct me if im wrong) and falco can force her to tech with dair, which might lead into an f smash. its in no way easy for falco(or puff, kinda) but definitely doable

Top Bottom