• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Metagame development discussion; Part 3: Low aerial off stage game.

GodAwful

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure about snake. I've watched a lot of videos of snake whiffing grabs after sweetspotted d-airs. But whether Snake can or not there's a big enough list of characters who can.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Anyways, tested on a friend Zelda, these moves are not shieldgrabbable by her :

- SH Dair Sweetspot, (don't ff), DI Back
- SH Bair sweetspot, DI back.
- Autocancel Nair to jab (well, can be shieldgrabbed if the opponent has godly hands :p)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Bumpy bump.

Next discussion point is low aerial off stage game. This includes ledge play. It ranges below the point in between his Short hop and full hop from the ground floor(ignore platforms when measuring) and to barely off the edge to side or bottom blast zones. You can get into character specifics here. Different characters have different options.

§witch

Smash Lord
This is a tricky place to be as falco. If the opponent is straight horizontally from the stage, lasering repeatedly to try and take away their DJ is probably the best idea, nothing else to do from there.

As they approach the stage, dair and bair are falco's best edge guarding moves. dair and bair both have sweetspots, and lingering hitboxes, making thme very effective edge guarding tools.

From under the stage. Bair, it has decent priority, it beats out/trades hits with the majority of vertical up b's, and even the weak hitbox makes for a strong stage spike, although certain characters can wall tech a stage spike. Snake, sonic, fox, falco, wolf, luigi, marth, kirby, DDD (I'm not sure how the SA on this move works, as far as I understand it, it does't go away until he stsrts going down),ROB, lucario, Tlink, link, all tether characters, peach (only if you hit below her umbrella,) pikachu, diddy, DK (horrible vertical distance anyways, and not particularly safe,) pit.
Those who bair doesn't beat their up b are: Ganon, falco, mario, bowser, DDD (until he comes down,) yoshi, MK ( I think we can beat it at some point, but his being in front of the stage when a MK is about to use the shuttle loop is not a smrt place to be,) zelda/sheik (they dispaer during it,) ness, lucas, charizard, squirtle, wario (bair him out of his bike,) and jigglypuff.

Feel free to correct me on any of this, i did it off the top of my head.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Imo falco's approach is not approaching just closing in space with lazers and then grab or jab them to something else

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
thats tru i dont go for a grab for those who cannot be grabbed i just mind game them i feel you should sav ur brain power for those who you can CG like boos told me play smart not hard.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Wow this is old...I remember this thread...

RIP /thread.

Edit: I will continue this thread if you guys want me to and help out with your input :).

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I think this thread give good information to players trying to get a better grasp of the game. This helped me visualize the game when put on paper.

Trott

Smash Rookie
Wow this is old...I remember this thread...

RIP /thread.

Edit: I will continue this thread if you guys want me to and help out with your input :).
I would like to see this thread revived. I've been reading through the old posts and find it very helpful. I would usually use a SH Dair or SH Bair during my low aerial game but my attack would just get shielded and punished so easily (my spacing could use work). This thread helped me realize that SH Nair to Jab is a much safer option.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
*bump* I needz help against an annoying peach. Falco's my only option in this case.

Top Bottom