• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Side B Done Diagonally!!

boku0801

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I was playing someone on wifi and they went to do falco's side B on smashville. I knew the opponent was going to suicide but then to my utter surprise...falco did the Side B diagonally....I happened to save a replay version of the match for you falco mains' out there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZwPtj9_A8

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
WiFi never causes things like that.

What actually happened was that they snapped to the ledge after going straight a pretty short distance. Yes, you can actually grab the ledge from that far away in Brawl (I actually kinda like that).

Denzi

Smash Master
WiFi never causes things like that.

What actually happened was that they snapped to the ledge after going straight a pretty short distance. Yes, you can actually grab the ledge from that far away in Brawl (I actually kinda like that).
Usually Falco would just side B into the stage and die from that low though.

I'm pretty sure it had to his horizontal distance from the stage when he Phantasmed, because we found out that Falco doesn't exist within the first 1/3 or so of the attack, which is why it does crazy things with the ledge (and goes through attacks).

kr3wman

Smash Master
Since he used the attack while still in knockback he bounced up enough for him to catch the ledge.

Staco

Smash Champion
If U use some b sepcials, while being in knockback, your character goes down or up.
You can test it really easy with Diddys Up B or Foxs Shine.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Usually Falco would just side B into the stage and die from that low though.

I'm pretty sure it had to his horizontal distance from the stage when he Phantasmed, because we found out that Falco doesn't exist within the first 1/3 or so of the attack, which is why it does crazy things with the ledge (and goes through attacks).
I really think from that particular height anything would have grabbed the ledge. I'm not sure how Falco Phantasm involving a teleport would explain anything. His horizontal distance was obviously important because it put him within ledge grab range, but I am just not seeing what's supposed to be special here. This was a pretty ordinary ledgegrab other than the fact that it was probably at nearly absolute max range. The reason you don't think ledges have that big of detection is probably because of the hardcoded rule against regrabbing a ledge shortly after letting go of it.

Also, I am pretty sure I understand the mechanics of Falco Phantasm (and Fox Illusion), and it's pretty non-intuitive. In the case of Falco Phantasm, Falco first creates a series of projectiles in front of him (they are non-reflectable and visualy are the blue outline Falcos). These can hit and are the damaging part of the move. Then Falco moves forward. Fox Illusion is just the opposite. Fox moves forward and then creates the projectiles where he just passed. This is why Falco Phantasm is so much higher "priority" than Fox Illusion; it sticks out a hitbox without Falco even being there to take a blow. I haven't studied it carefully, but I do not believe either of these moves inflict hitlag on the users when they connect. That would be supporting evidence of what I'm saying. Of course, these moves execute quite fast so they can be quite confusion.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
The special thing your not seeing is the trails. Take another look. You can see that the trails are at an angle, which is not the case in a horizontal phantasm. Unless this video has been doctored or the game has been tampered with, this Falco was going diagonally (like wolf). The question is how??

Staco

Smash Champion
The special thing your not seeing is the trails. Take another look. You can see that the trails are at an angle, which is not the case in a horizontal phantasm. Unless this video has been doctored or the game has been tampered with, this Falco was going diagonally (like wolf). The question is how??

If U use some b sepcials, while being in knockback, your character goes down or up.
You can test it really easy with Diddys Up B or Foxs Shine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

0:57!

megajosh2

Smash Cadet
I read all 63 pages of this thread: http://www.sma
Eh, it didn't look like the same thing, but it's probably it.

It was probably a glitch caused by him being that close to the ledge at the end of the phantasm, while using a special that put him that close during knockback. So he was supposed to just rise up and do the side b, but the position he would be was close enough to sweetspot the ledge.

bobson

Smash Lord
This would seem the obvious answer to me, but there's one peculiarity: the phantasm "speed lines" are diagonal. The lines aren't ever diagonal elsewise unless you use the move on an incline. Falco being that much under the ledge will typically kill you, too (really, go test it).

Top Bottom