• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Teaming Potential

Notra

Smash Ace
Most ppl say falco is bad for teams. but i just think that legit strats just havent been made. Recently im thinking about teaming w/ a diddy in a upcoming tourney in flint,MI. i mean diddy seems like the prefect partner for falco. Diddy play style is strong on the ground. and falco can work the naner game as good as diddy. in addition if the falco shdl quicker(as in press b so both lazers go over diddy) then u have some intense banana ground and laser air pressure. what r ur guys' ideas on falco's teaming abilities, partners, and strategies?

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
Laser spam is still harder with TA on, no matter what. Incorrect SHDL won't hit anybody >_>
I guess Falco could be good in teams if you an your partner a lot of techniques and starts. '

Falco+Falco=double laserlock

I think Falco is meh in teams, but w/e.

Notra

Smash Ace
Laser spam is still harder with TA on, no matter what. Incorrect SHDL won't hit anybody >_>
I guess Falco could be good in teams if you an your partner a lot of techniques and starts. '

Falco+Falco=double laserlock

I think Falco is meh in teams, but w/e.
if it wont hit them cause they r in the air. then a team mate w/ a small char doing ground moves works (diddy sounds amazing) if they can duck lazers they r tripping.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Me and a friend did double falco vs DK and Snake. Worked out pretty well, LOL. We both CGed both players.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I don't think falco is bad at all in teams, but he isn't as good as... G&W or DDD >_>

The trick is to be smarter about your lasers - falco can still rack up damage very well with the chaingrab, jab combo and aerials.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I think Jab combo on an opponent is a very good way to set up a kill or rack up lots of damage if your teammate is close by to hit them.

goodkid

Smash Lord
DEHF & SK92 did double Falco and they only got 7th. Falco is alright I guess. I don't even use Falco, but I've teamed with a Falco. Zelda is always a good teammate. She can kill and hold stock.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i dont see double falco going well, as well as double anybody really. except snake.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Falco cant do teams... I wish he could believe me but his play style is made for singles, lets think about it.

Lazers are falcos biggest game and no matter what you do, in doubles your team mate is going to be jumping around or get knocked into the air because there are 2 people coming at you.

Chances of you getting more than 3 CG's in doubles are slim, very slim.

Another big part of falcos game is phantasm camping. this part of his game is now useless because you will hit your team mate. and if it doesn't hit your team mate, its because he is getting juggled in the air by your opponents.

And for some reason, falco dies ridiculously fast in doubles. it sucks

Against good doubles characters like wario, GaW and MK...falco will not be able to compete, regardless his partner....

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Don't believe the hype, falco is awesome in teams, you just need to play teams properly and switch your style accordingly.

Falco's hit and run tactics work just as well in teams thanks to his awesome vertical air speed.
Unlike in singles where your descent back down can be tracked easily in doubles you have a partner to help cover you so it gives you much more freedom.

You have a little less freedom for lasers, but there are still tons of uses. For instance Notra if you're teaming with a diddy you can work out some synergy:

If he's in front of you approaching the opposing team have him stick to the ground glide tossing and such, and then send two high shdl's over his head. This makes his approach amazing. (it works amazingly with snake too)

I was going to make a thread about this because there is the misconception that Falco is bad in doubles and he's been giving me the edge to get tons of doubles money. I've got the second best doubles record in my region (after Ally) and I've been in every teams gf for the last 3 months... Last tournament we took Ally and Holy to game 5 and forced Ally to switch to MK in the process in order to win.

The vids should aren't out yet, but they're on their way.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Don't believe the hype, falco is awesome in teams, you just need to play teams properly and switch your style accordingly.

Falco's hit and run tactics work just as well in teams thanks to his awesome vertical air speed.
Unlike in singles where your descent back down can be tracked easily in doubles you have a partner to help cover you so it gives you much more freedom.

You have a little less freedom for lasers, but there are still tons of uses. For instance Notra if you're teaming with a diddy you can work out some synergy:

If he's in front of you approaching the opposing team have him stick to the ground glide tossing and such, and then send two high shdl's over his head. This makes his approach amazing. (it works amazingly with snake too)

I was going to make a thread about this because there is the misconception that Falco is bad in doubles and he's been giving me the edge to get tons of doubles money. I've got the second best doubles record in my region (after Ally) and I've been in every teams gf for the last 3 months... Last tournament we took Ally and Holy to game 5 and forced Ally to switch to MK in the process in order to win.

The vids should aren't out yet, but they're on their way.
Forcing ally to switch from his main....ok?

seriously, falco is awesome, I love him, but i wouldnt try playing him in doubles much, unless you and your partner have AMAZING synergy..

Notra

Smash Ace
LOL. Runaway r u the only one who read my post. Ty. Guys i was saying falco and other chars. Duh dub falco sucks we know that but w/ chars withstrong groud game(diddy) high shel works well. Plus aaa plus diddys smashes works good. I'd say chars like diddy snake gw. R amazing with falco.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
The point being we forced him off Snake.... because it wasn't working.
Also, I've had a different teams partner almost every tournament...

Seriously, Falco is awesome, I love him, learn the difference between falco singles playstyle, and falco doubles playstyle.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Most ppl say falco is bad for teams. but i just think that legit strats just havent been made. Recently im thinking about teaming w/ a diddy in a upcoming tourney in flint,MI. i mean diddy seems like the prefect partner for falco. Diddy play style is strong on the ground. and falco can work the naner game as good as diddy. in addition if the falco shdl quicker(as in press b so both lazers go over diddy) then u have some intense banana ground and laser air pressure. what r ur guys' ideas on falco's teaming abilities, partners, and strategies?
It's odd but diddy and falco are a good team. I think falco is just as good as diddy in 2v2, he's not great but he has his little advantages that other team characters don't.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
LOL. Runaway r u the only one who read my post. Ty. Guys i was saying falco and other chars. Duh dub falco sucks we know that but w/ chars withstrong groud game(diddy) high shel works well. Plus aaa plus diddys smashes works good. I'd say chars like diddy snake gw. R amazing with falco.

I did read your post and I replied to it. if you think you can have good enough communication with a diddy player to make it work then good for you man, but I dont. Although im pretty sure phantasm gets messed up by nanas and both of you have a difficult time killing, and nanas also mess up your chances for a CG.

and I would much rather play lucario or ZSS with GW because they make his bucket a instakill (baby spheres for luca, dsmash for zss). and GW is a air character, so what would SHDL do in that team?

I cant think of a way to make falco work in doubles.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
i plan an aggro falco, so hes pretty good in teams to me. i dont think campy falcos work in teams.

Notra

Smash Ace
I did read your post and I replied to it. if you think you can have good enough communication with a diddy player to make it work then good for you man, but I dont. Although im pretty sure phantasm gets messed up by nanas and both of you have a difficult time killing, and nanas also mess up your chances for a CG.

and I would much rather play lucario or ZSS with GW because they make his bucket a instakill (baby spheres for luca, dsmash for zss). and GW is a air character, so what would SHDL do in that team?

I cant think of a way to make falco work in doubles.
if falco phantasms, the naners dont trip him durring it if they or on the ground. teams or not(may only be with IAP not sure,, doesnt matter no one uses normal phantasm anyway) And in teams do the naners trip ur team mate anyway?

and typ ex i dont play aggro i play camp. i think falcos disadvantages come into play w/ aggro vs chars like marth and g&w. sure g&w has bucket but i still phantasm camp. i dont see them as hard to play as long as i camp but hey, different ppl see different things. IMO if its sexy its a good falco :)

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
Seriously, Falco is awesome, I love him, learn the difference between falco singles playstyle, and falco doubles playstyle.
This is so true. Falco can still play his campy game but not all of the time and to not as much effectiveness. Falco also seems to work with characters with a great recovery and off stage game. This means that your teamate can play an offstage game and bait one player offstage while Falco has the whole stage to play around on. Characters that can do this well are Jiggs, ROB, Kirby and Peach. When Falco is teamed with characters with better kill moves, eg Fox and Marth, Falco plays a different role. This role is to play around with one of your opponents, hitting them and then running away and generally just not getting hit, this ensures that your own teamate can fight one on one. If your teamate kills their opponent then you let them fight your opponent as they should be on high percent and one smash will kill them. This 1v1 fighting also means that Falco can get his CG off more often than thought.

I still believe that even though there might be some potiential with Falco in Teams, I still disagree that he could ever really improve much further than he already has in teams. He just has to many odd weaknesses that keep him from being that great.

1) Gets juggled quite easily.
2) Lightweight and with getting juggled he can run out of stream rather quickly.
3) Horrible time trying to get a KO. Even if it is more chaotic in teams and might be easier to get a KO, it's difficult to get a KO with Falco.
4) Recovery is poor. And with possibility of someone trying to gimp and another possibly waiting for Falco on stage doesn't help any.
5) Certain characters can actually do quite well when faced with 2 vs 1, but falco doesn't. He can keep a good keep away game going, but getting any of those KOs will be difficult.
6) A lot of his gameplay is limited anyway. We already said that lasers an potientially mess up your partner. CG is almost non existent most of the time.

The biggest problems I see for doubles is that Falco won't really last long so he cannot really provide a "tanking" role. And neither does he do that great at killing or racking up damage safely and easily. So it seems Falco is more dead weight than anything. I'm not sure what partner you could possibly give him that would make up for a lot of the stuff or would even create enough boons to make Falco's cons worth ignoring.

I don't agree that Falco is the worst for teams, but he is certainly not the best suited for it. I think he fits somewhere along the average team player. There are others that are worse.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
1) Gets juggled quite easily.
2) Lightweight and with getting juggled he can run out of stream rather quickly.
True and true, but you can still tank using his manueverability to just avoid damage. Falco's job in teams is to hit and run, and its actually easier to kill in teams then in singles so I don't know where you're going with some of your analysis...

Also with the cg, you can at least get off 2 to a dair and thats when your other opponent comes to break it up right away, in which case the early dair will likely connect on both of them. Also during the moment when their partner is forced to help, your teammate has free range to do whatever he wants. (usually providing a counter hit for after you've been hit.

Sometimes I think that a lot of people just aren't good at doubles.... At first I would have agreed that he's not great, but in some matches he's been the determining factor that allowed me to crack otherwise solid teams.

Your best partner overall is probably MK, as MK/Falco takes out all the other top popular teams very well, (MK/Snake, MK/Dedede, MK/ GaW, etc)

Arty

Smash Lord
Boost Pivot Grab is also very key in teams in terms of CGs. When you're CGing someone you'd want to turn him around so if his teammate tries to save him, he'll eat an Up-smash or D-air too.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I like teaming with Kismet's Falco.

My favorite thing to do is A-FIRIN' HIS LAZERS, which involves my Charizard using Flamethrower near the opponents while he continually double-lasers over my head from behind me.

Wish Falco wasn't so gimpable. He has to play much safer than he'd like in Teams.

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
Falco and Kirby work surprisingly well (for me actually). Kirby should rush while Falco gives laser support.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Falco can do well as long as his teammate has good killing moves, that's really important to win with Falco in teams because taking 6 stocks with 2 characters with bad KO moves can be really hard. Then ofc Falco won't always be able to IAP and SHDL, but he can manage to do pretty well still.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
You might want to try fox for doubles. Team up with an Ike. I did that, came in second in a tourney at my university. I used falco at first, but as everyone's said, his lasers mess up your teammate. Fox is good though, especially his upsmash. You rack up damage then kill with upsmash. If you stale your upsmash, Ike is there to kill with basically any move of his. Falco... not so great for doubles, man. Good luck though!

BIG~D

Smash Cadet
i disagree kind sir, falco is very good in teams as long as there are platforms and your team mate is a meta knight you can do very well in teams with a campy falco

Top Bottom