• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Falco's Tournament Representation

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Pawclaw got 9th at Smash 4 Wars #28 which I don't know when it happened: http://hitboxarena.challonge.com/smash4wars28s. I think it's a weekly, so 2 weeks ago?

Pawclaw's match against Gunblade's Pit, Marth, and Triple D were uploaded, but nothing against the others like Emblem Lord (yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBVSK-RZrnI. Pawclaw could have won against Gunblade's Marth, but that Shield Breaker at the end... Oh, and Triple D, man. Maybe we should definitely look into that MU.
Few months ago I played a DDD whose playstyle looked like gunblades. He made it crazy hard to get back on stage with those Gordos his ledge spacing with F tilt was good too. I'd try to jump and get to the other side quickly but he'd throw a Gordo up if I air dodged it or reflected he'd grab me and throw me in the Gordo or a nair. Brings back nightmares lol. He was located in Boston but I can't remember the name.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
There's a very strong DDD here in West Michigan by the name of KingJames. I play against him constantly, so I've got some experience with the MU. I'll see if I can put together some matchup insight for y'all as I get more confident in my game sense.

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Nice work, man! 17th at Xanadu is nothing to shake a stick at. I think it's interesting that most of your tournament losses have come against Zero Suit players, I usually feel pretty good in that MU since our reflector largely shuts down paralyzers and her grab is so punishable.
Yeah, I feel both happy and sad with that result as I feel like I could do better then that. When it comes to ZSS the issue I've been having is that's one of the MUs that I just don't know well enough. A problem with my play style for awhile now is that I play very reactionary and just rely on my knowledge of the opponents character and their options to find openings. When I don't know the character enough I can have a hard time getting started as I never really developed (for a lack of a better term) an autopilot play style to just go to on Falco.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Attila_ Attila_ , your tag is BIGBOSS!? Welp, time to start a MSF, Diamond Dogs, or Outer Heaven for Falco... Diamond Dogs... Roughneck Ravens... Something, something with an "F" for Falco... Fiesty Falcos, Flirty Falcos, Funky Falcos, or something different like Phat Pheasants? :p

For those of you who think I lost my mind, I'm talking about Atilla_ winning this: http://smashboards.com/rankings/couchwarriors-june-2015-wii-u-singles.6996/event, and making fun of his tag BIGBOSS because Big Boss is a character from Metal Gear. Also, there's another player who goes by "Big Boss" and is an Ike player. Atilla_, you should money match him - loser gets to be called Punished Snake.

Edit: Source.
There have been 7 regionals and 1 major so far this patch. They were won by:

:4sheik: x2
:4fox: x2
:4luigi:
:4sheik:/:4diddy: (Major)
:4fox:/:4falcon:

And last but certainly not least

:4falco:
At: http://smashboards.com/rankings/couchwarriors-june-2015-wii-u-singles.6996/event

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
@ Attila_ Attila_ , your tag is BIGBOSS!? Welp, time to start a MSF, Diamond Dogs, or Outer Heaven for Falco... Diamond Dogs... Roughneck Ravens... Something, something with an "F" for Falco... Fiesty Falcos, Flirty Falcos, Funky Falcos, or something different like Phat Pheasants? :p

For those of you who think I lost my mind, I'm talking about Atilla_ winning this: http://smashboards.com/rankings/couchwarriors-june-2015-wii-u-singles.6996/event, and making fun of his tag BIGBOSS because Big Boss is a character from Metal Gear. Also, there's another player who goes by "Big Boss" and is an Ike player. Atilla_, you should money match him - loser gets to be called Punished Snake.
Kept you waiting huh? Lol I just finished watching the new mgs demo 3 times can't wait

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Kept you waiting huh? Lol I just finished watching the new mgs demo 3 times can't wait
There's also this which is just hilarious. I mean, does Big Boss have spare arms he keep somewhere in this bags? :laugh:

Anyway, yeah, Atilla_ took first there, Keitaro took second only with Falco at The Break #361 and I remember seeing TKBreezy using Falco yesterday at Xanadu. I knew TK used Falco, but he never really used him in tournaments.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
TK Breezy's falco is butt. Like bruh :facepalm: Saw it on stream yesterday. Hope he continues to improve.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
LOL we need to get all the Falco players into a room and round robin each other I swear so we can share strats and grind and what not.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer

Yeah mate. I adopted the tag 'BIGBOSS' after snake was deconfirmed for S4. I mained him in brawl for a good six years, and I was long considered the father of the Australian meta. So yeah, it kinda makes sense.

Prior to that, I was tagless and went by my name irl: Attila.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
There's also this which is just hilarious. I mean, does Big Boss have spare arms he keep somewhere in this bags? :laugh:

Anyway, yeah, Atilla_ took first there, Keitaro took second only with Falco at The Break #361 and I remember seeing TKBreezy using Falco yesterday at Xanadu. I knew TK used Falco, but he never really used him in tournaments.
Rocketoooo punchhhh. Off topic but I love Yongs channel. Really interesting theories on there. The mgs series as a whole is my favorite of all time. I played mgs 1 in 1999 and been in love since

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
The main problem I'm having with my Falco matchups is that I get paired against characters that force me to approach far too often. Falco's approach options are severely limited, and in high level play, I'm under the understanding that playing gimmicky for too long is gonna lose you a few stocks if not the set. Is there any way for Falco to approach safely or will I just have to harass the opponent with spaced b-airs for the whole game? I'm fairly certain this is the reason I was having so much trouble in my sets at CIU (Slidell).

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I struggle to approach with Falco too, of course. I think we all do. I try to mix up shorthop nairs and bairs with boost grabs, pivot grabs, pivot tilts, dash attacks, and dash into shield into grab / tilt / spotdodge. That said, I often handle characters who are forcing me to approach by reflecting their projectiles and throwing out a few lasers of my own at longer ranges, then baiting them into approaches by using reflector or blaster at ranges they believe to be punishable. I get tons of milage out of Falco's jab only because it's a great tool for confirming frame traps and reading approaches.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
So I went to a local Tourney and made it to 7th the whole way with Falco. First Loss was to a R.O.B. his spacing and zoning were on point. I couldn't get past the wall. On a side note his rapid pressing on his controller was so damn distracting lol and hitting my elbows =/. I ended up getting taken out in Losers by a Captain Falcon. The R.O.B. player was great he made it to Grand finals but lost to a Mario, Im happy knowing it took someone in Grand finals to knock me out. The smasher Seibrik was the one hosting the tourney, He played the winner of grand finals in a friendly game for a bigger jackpot, he won, his mega man was amazing. Apparently Esam, Seibrik, and Nick Riddle all live in the area and hangout.

Overall i think i did great, everyone who played me or saw me play said my Falco is great they haven't played or seen someone like it (made me wanna cry =] lol) I entered the tourney as Bryan B
P.s. It seems they stopped editing the bracket.
http://challonge.com/Sm4sh7_11/standings

Won my first tourney using the bird yesterday. Smashtag is BIGBOSS.

http://melbournemelee.challonge.com/s4cwjun15
by any chance do you have any gameplays recorded from this tourney?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So I went to a local Tourney and made it to 7th the whole way with Falco. First Loss was to a R.O.B. his spacing and zoning were on point. I couldn't get past the wall. On a side note his rapid pressing on his controller was so damn distracting lol and hitting my elbows =/. I ended up getting taken out in Losers by a Captain Falcon. The R.O.B. player was great he made it to Grand finals but lost to a Mario, Im happy knowing it took someone in Grand finals to knock me out. The smasher Seibrik was the one hosting the tourney, He played the winner of grand finals in a friendly game for a bigger jackpot, he won, his mega man was amazing. Apparently Esam, Seibrik, and Nick Riddle all live in the area and hangout.

Overall i think i did great, everyone who played me or saw me play said my Falco is great they haven't played or seen someone like it (made me wanna cry =] lol) I entered the tourney as Bryan B
P.s. It seems they stopped editing the bracket.
http://challonge.com/Sm4sh7_11/standings
Was that Rob player 8bitman by any chance?

Cyro

Airborne
http://challonge.com/fadsodysingles_6
Got 9th/49 earlier today.
So my match on Winner's vs. 2scoops Angbad's :4diddy:was streamed and shenanigans with his custom up-B happened, lol.
Made my way through Loser's and fought GsM Void (Seeded 2nd), one of Hawaii's top players, I believe.
Lost 1-2, :4falco:vs.:4sheik:
I win game 1.
He wins game 2.
Game 3: I SD and the game's 1 stock vs. 2 stocks, we're both at 0%.
I somehow managed to bring it back to last stock, last hit.
Was fun, though! KiraFlax bringing GRsmash more content! :bee:

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
http://challonge.com/fadsodysingles_6
Got 9th/49 earlier today.
So my match on Winner's vs. 2scoops Angbad's :4diddy:was streamed and shenanigans with his custom up-B happened, lol.
Made my way through Loser's and fought GsM Void (Seeded 2nd), one of Hawaii's top players, I believe.
Lost 1-2, :4falco:vs.:4sheik:
I win game 1.
He wins game 2.
Game 3: I SD and the game's 1 stock vs. 2 stocks, we're both at 0%.
I somehow managed to bring it back to last stock, last hit.
Was fun, though! KiraFlax bringing GRsmash more content! :bee:
Cool, someone mentioned Void here: http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/page-852#post-19638106. That means your fights are going to get uploaded! ... Hopefully. :p

Cyro

Airborne
Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
http://dojo.challonge.com/FG5Singles
Placed 9th/64 singles
8th/25 teams in doubles going falco,luigi 50/50
Had a great 2v1 comeback againt Trela and Karna (Houstons Top Sheik player) 3 stocks to 1 with falco wish it was recorded. Had close matches all around lost in the end to Gnes and Trela

Cyro

Airborne
EVO:
I played pretty terribly in my pools. I know for sure I could have performed much better, but my nerves got the best of me.
Aside from that, the experience in general was amazing. I got to see/meet many people which was really awesome.
Maybe next time though; onward to Paragon!

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
EVO:
I played pretty terribly in my pools. I know for sure I could have performed much better, but my nerves got the best of me.
Aside from that, the experience in general was amazing. I got to see/meet many people which was really awesome.
Maybe next time though; onward to Paragon!
Out of curiosity, how many games did you win. the only other falco player i saw was keitaro (thinks thats how you spell it) he made it to 48th place i believe (according to his twitter)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Did poorly today; lost to a wario you waft KO'd me from a whiff dsmash at 40% (he was at 180%). Got too salty and wasn't able to play afterwards.

This game has a habit of being demotivating; I really don't feel like playing when stuff like that happens.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Did poorly today; lost to a wario you waft KO'd me from a whiff dsmash at 40% (he was at 180%). Got too salty and wasn't able to play afterwards.

This game has a habit of being demotivating; I really don't feel like playing when stuff like that happens.
Yeah I hear ya I got 4th and my local yesterday and lost to an old brawl buddy of mine who played Yoshi twice in last hit scenarios and I went Lucina all the games so i was pretty salt.

GreenT

Smash Rookie
Got 2nd at my local last night.
http://challonge.com/S4P
Lost to Im Hip's :4olimar:
For the most part they were somewhat close, I just had trouble sealing the stocks since he's so short! :p
Nice job. Sorry, Was this an offline tournament or an online one? I get confused with most of the challonge brackets when I see them. Or i'm a noob.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Thanks! Yeah I've been slacking on my YouTube, sorry about that. However, I am planning on releasing a Combo/Highlight video soon so you can look forward to that. :b:
Stream deleted. What a shame

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Getting anything off of not finishing your Jab requires your opponent not to press buttons; I don't think either of those are even close to reliable if you can't get your opponent to fear you. Lingering hitboxes are usually quite safe to hit with, though, so I would tell people to Jab offstage opponents into N-Air or F-Air if they're trying to hedge their bets and get follow-ups more often.

Remember that people cannot grab the ledge for 30 frames after getting out of hitlag freeze, so they generally don't feel comfortable using their recovery immediately after being Jabbed in that state. That's what gives you time to potentially follow up.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Got 3rd at Countdown to Beatdown 4 a tournament in Houston went all falco this time no luigi. I had alot of stream time. vids should be coming in a day or two ill link whem its uploaded.
http://challonge.com/CTB4Singles

Last edited:
Top Bottom