• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falling speeds.

Skyson

Smash Ace
It's a very obvious thing that all characters fall [naturally] at different speeds, but it seems really varied.

Is there some sort of "tier list" as far as falling speed goes? I mean obviously Fox falls faster than Jigglypuff, but are there just general "levels" of falling speed, or does every character fall at their own speed? If there's some kind of exact scale of every character's fall speed, that would be nifty.

I was just interested since I have a tough time sometimes with who falls fast and who falls normally. :/

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Average Falling Speed

159% - Falco
152% - Fox
151% - Captain Falcon
128% - DK / Roy
118% - Ganondorf / Sheik
117% - Link / Marth / Young Link
116% - Bowser
108% - Pikachu
107% - Pichu / Yoshi
103% - Ness
101% - Dr. Mario / Mario / Mr. Game & Watch
98% - Ice Climbers
97% - Mewtwo
96% - Kirby / Peach
95% - Luigi / Samus
92% - Zelda
86% - Jigglypuff

There you go.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I could've sworn Marth falls slower than Link and Bowser. Maybe he just accelerates slower.

Does anyone have an accelerations teir list.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Falco falls faster than Fox? o_O I never noticed. Bahwell.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Falco falls slower than fox.... Fox is fastest faller, and I think Falcon is second.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No. Falco Accelerates slower than Fox. Falco's top fall speed is faster than Fox's top fall speed.

Marth's acceleration is also slower than Doctor Mario, Game & Watch, Bowser ect.

I think we need an accelerations tier list too.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Falco falls slower than fox.... Fox is fastest faller, and I think Falcon is second.
Not true.

Fox accelerates to his fastest falling speed much faster then Falco. However, Falco is the faster faller if both are at their fastest fallspeed.

The reason the list seems inaccurate is because fall acceleration is different then actual maximum fall speed. When it comes to acceleration, Fox is the top of that list by leaps and bounds. The 2 lists are completely independant from each other; max fallspeed has no impact on acceleration. In fact, I think that Jiggs is near the top of the acceleration list, but she's at the bottom of max fallspeed.

For maximum fall speed though, Rapid_Assassin's list is correct.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Average Falling Speed

159% - Falco
152% - Fox
151% - Captain Falcon
128% - DK / Roy
118% - Ganondorf / Sheik
116% - Bowser
108% - Pikachu
107% - Pichu / Yoshi
103% - Ness
98% - Ice Climbers
97% - Mewtwo
96% - Kirby / Peach
95% - Luigi / Samus
92% - Zelda
86% - Jigglypuff

There you go.

Thank you for this. I think that, as people have been saying, something like this with acceleration would be good too, if someone could compile that. I had a feeling Falco fell faster than Fox.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
his list takes into account only top falling speed. Falco for instance, accelerates slower than fox which is why many people think he falls slower overall. He stays in the air longer with a short hope than fox because of this.

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
why are some of you surprised about how ganon falls slower that cf?

They should all be falling at the same speed anyways, besides a few, due to air resistance.

Its a game.

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
Its a game.
Thank you... through your infinite wisdom, I think we can all rest easy knowing that IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER ALL THAT MUCH!!!!!! If you want to learn to play the game and use falling speed to your advantage, use your eyes! Gauge the acceleration and speed approximatly by yourself. It isn't going to help you in an actual match to know that Falco has a 1% faster fall rate than Fox, but it will help if you know how to use your falling to position yourself correctly.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
M2K's full list:

Average Falling Speed - this list shows approximate average falling speed, in other words it factors in falling speed acceleration AND falling speed top speed, because the test was Mewtwo's up throw on Final Destination on every character, showing the exact percentage that they get KO'd on, which has factors of both falling speed acceleration and top speed (possible 1% or so of it might have to do with Weight). Note that this test isn't "perfect" for testing exact "average" falling speed, as some tests, like with Pikachu and Pichu, Pichu dies 1% earlier than Pikachu even though they have the same exact falling speed and acceleration (my guess is that it has something to do with weight factoring in it somehow) but this list should be pretty useful if you were ever curious about it.

159% - Falco
152% - Fox
151% - Captain Falcon
128% - DK / Roy
118% - Ganondorf / Sheik
116% - Bowser
108% - Pikachu
107% - Pichu / Yoshi
103% - Ness
98% - Ice Climbers
97% - Mewtwo
96% - Kirby / Peach
95% - Luigi / Samus
92% - Zelda
86% - Jigglypuff

Falling Speed - shows how fast characters fall, in their TOP speed (not to be confused with "falling speed ACCELERATION", which Fox is by far the fastest in)

a ">" means that the character to the left of the ">" ACCELERATES to his/her top speed QUICKER than the character to the right of the ">"

a "=" means the two or three characters between the "=" have the same exact acceleration.

Example: Sheik > Link = Young Link
this means that Sheik starts her fall quicker than Link and Young Link, and that Link starts his fall at the same exact speed as Young Link, but all 3 of those characters have the same top speed in a normal fall.

1) Falco
2) Captain Falcon
3) Fox***
4-5) Roy > DK
6) Marth
7-9) Sheik > Link = Young Link
10) Ganondorf
11) Yoshi
12-14) Bowser > Pichu = Pikachu
15) Ness
16-18) Dr. Mario = Mario = Mr. Game and Watch
19-21) Ice Climbers > Kirby > Luigi
22-23) Mewtwo > Peach
24-25) Zelda > Samus
26) Jigglypuff

***Fox may have the fastest acceleration in falling speed (that means when he starts to fall, he starts falling the quickest for the 1st 1/2 a second or so) but Captain Falcon and Falco have a faster top speed in falling speed. Test it at Hyrule Temple if you don't believe me, and that's probably why there is so much arguments between who falls faster, Falco or Fox. Fox has quicker acceleration, but Falco (and also Captain Falcon) has a higher top speed when they fall.

Fast-Fall Falling Speed - this is when you tap down on the control stick to fall faster, values may not be exact, but I assure you they are accurate to at LEAST 0.5%, but I have tried yet failed to get them to 0.1% accuracy (it's a hell of a lot harder than you would think, trust me). Also, everything between Pikachu and Ness/Y.Link are actually all the same percentage amount apart, despite what the decimals may say (due to things being rounded, blada blada blada, etc.)

100% ---------- Captain Falcon / Falco
97.5% --------- Fox
86% ----------- Link / Sheik
85% ----------- DK
84% ----------- Yoshi
83% ----------- Roy
77.5% --------- Pikachu
74.5% --------- Ganondorf
72% ----------- Marth / Pichu
69% ----------- Bowser
66.5% --------- Dr. Mario / Mario / Mewtwo / Mr. G&W / Samus
63.5% --------- Ness / Young Link
57.5% --------- Ice Climbers / Kirby / Luigi / Peach
53.5% --------- Zelda
46% ----------- Jigglypuff

***Bowser Bomb ~ 213%
***Yoshi Bomb ~ 160%
***Kirby's Rock ~ 129% (same as Pikachu/Pichu's Thunder)

***Metal Coat ~ 1.99 (both falls)
***Giant Melee ~ 1.52 (normal fall ~ 1.49)
***Super Mushroom ~ 1.52 (normal fall ~ 1.49)
***Bunny Hood ~ 1.49 (both falls)
***Poison Mushroom ~ 0.67 (normal fall ~ 0.68)
***Tiny Melee ~ 0.57 (normal fall ~ 0.58)

***Giant Melee + Super Mushroom ~ 2.09 (Super Mushroom X 1.375)
***Giant Melee + Poison Mushroom ~ 0.91 (Poison Mushroom X 0.6)
***Tiny Melee + Super Mushroom ~ 0.78 (Super Mushroom X 1.375)
***Tiny Melee + Poison Mushroom ~ 0.46 (Poison Mushroom X 0.8)

***Young Link only increases his falling speed "about" 1.015 times when he fast-falls, and because the approximate (maybe exact) difference of falling speeds to fast-fall falling speeds is about 2%, then when he's on Tiny Melee, he can actually SLOW HIMSELF DOWN (very very slightly) when he fast-falls on Tiny Melee. So on Tiny Melee, Young Link's "fast-fall" is really more like a "slow-fall". This was obviously overlooked flaw in the game designers programmed formulas for each item in how it affects the characters' stats, like how it is with Snaking and Spaceflying in F-Zero GX.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's simple really. Fox wants to be able to shffl fast. Samus doesn't care too much about shffling, so she decided to optimize towards recovery. It's all about the characters wants really. Like ganon. He wants to be comboed to hell so he can kill you in only 3 moves afterward.

Top Bottom