• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fancy Smash in Naperville, IL *UPDATED* July, 12th

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Just a thought on the time limit argument...

Maybe Zec is right, the 5 minute time limit may force people to play a more aggressive style. I wish I could go to this because that's how I play.

Give it a shot, maybe it'll help

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't think I'm going to this, but Big C: let me know how the 5 minute thing works out later :D

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey, can we bring a Wii and a TV to waive the venue fee, but then leave early? Also, when are the doubles and singles tournaments starting?

Davrob1

Smash Cadet
In regards to the rules here, It is possible that both players will resort to ledge camping in sudden death. OH wait the bombs come right? well unfortunately, they ONLY explode above the stage. The bombs also hinder someone trying to approach the ledge camper because if the bombs come they are the one that gets hit

plus, it only takes 20 seconds for the bombs to come, making ledge camping in SD a safe bet. People with experience in SD will know wat im talking about. If you dont then examine the nature of it on your own and you'll see.

So then if this is the case it will become a contest of who can drop down, jump, and regrab the ledge better. I actually tested this out with my bro a while ago and we were untouched by any bombs for a good 5 + mins until one of us f'd up(went too high when there was a bomb).

Just putting this out there so we all have a better understanding of SD and the possible tactics revolving around it.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
sooo i've got people that want to come to this but can't make it until noon or 1ish.

is there a time when singles will start?

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the rules here, It is possible that both players will resort to ledge camping in sudden death. OH wait the bombs come right? well unfortunately, they ONLY explode above the stage. The bombs also hinder someone trying to approach the ledge camper because if the bombs come they are the one that gets hit

plus, it only takes 20 seconds for the bombs to come, making ledge camping in SD a safe bet. People with experience in SD will know wat im talking about. If you dont then examine the nature of it on your own and you'll see.

So then if this is the case it will become a contest of who can drop down, jump, and regrab the ledge better. I actually tested this out with my bro a while ago and we were untouched by any bombs for a good 5 + mins until one of us f'd up(went too high when there was a bomb).

Just putting this out there so we all have a better understanding of SD and the possible tactics revolving around it.
The player who doesn't camp the whole 20 seconds wins.
Remember.. Ledge Stalling without the intent to attack will cost you the match. :)

-Zec

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
Hey, can we bring a Wii and a TV to waive the venue fee, but then leave early? Also, when are the doubles and singles tournaments starting?

Doubles starts @ 12 and singles .. well... when doubles end.
I'll be running the tourny more than playing so this should go smoothly.

2 things though... 1st
If we can't use the TV / wii in the tourny at all... then no. That'd be silly. Pay the 5$ and if you stay AT LEAST to the end of doubles and I'll give you the 5$ back? I'd appreciate, if it is crowded, that you would stay for the whole thing though :)

Also, if someone could link me to that free tourny software so I can load it up on the lap top that'd be great.

Try to be there by 11:30 to give plenty of time to get warm'd up and such before the start at 12.... if you show up past 12 we may have started doubles already and you will be forced to wait until singles. This is especially the case if we go right to brackets.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. :D

-Zec

metroid1117

Smash Master
Doubles starts @ 12 and singles .. well... when doubles end.
I'll be running the tourny more than playing so this should go smoothly.

2 things though... 1st
If we can't use the TV / wii in the tourny at all... then no. That'd be silly. Pay the 5$ and if you stay AT LEAST to the end of doubles and I'll give you the 5$ back? I'd appreciate, if it is crowded, that you would stay for the whole thing though :)

Also, if someone could link me to that free tourny software so I can load it up on the lap top that'd be great.

Try to be there by 11:30 to give plenty of time to get warm'd up and such before the start at 12.... if you show up past 12 we may have started doubles already and you will be forced to wait until singles. This is especially the case if we go right to brackets.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. :D

-Zec
Hmm... that's unfortunate... any reason why doubles are starting before singles? I'm just curious because my parents are taking me and my friends there, and I doubt they'd be willing to stay in Naperville that long. (My friends and I only intend on playing singles.)

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
hmm... this sounds interesting. I'm supposed to drive to Elgin on the 13th, so maybe I can add a day to my trip and attend this.

Mars-

Smash Champion
A stall rule? The only problem would be who is going to enforce it? The people playing can't just look at the time and keep watching it because then they are distracted. And who watches brawl matches lol.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Hmm... that's unfortunate... any reason why doubles are starting before singles? I'm just curious because my parents are taking me and my friends there, and I doubt they'd be willing to stay in Naperville that long. (My friends and I only intend on playing singles.)
Tourney's tend to have doubles then singles.

A stall rule? The only problem would be who is going to enforce it? The people playing can't just look at the time and keep watching it because then they are distracted. And who watches brawl matches lol.
That is a good point. Not every match can be watched by someone..and the stall rule might only lead to arguments.

Mars: post our melee vids.

iao

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, might make this my first tourney. Never played Melee or anything...

Since I wouldn't know anyone, while doubles are going on would I be able to play friendlies with people? And after I get eliminated in singles, do people still play friendlies or should I just go home? I'm probably not going far in the tourney itself, I'm more interested in just playing with people offline since I have only played offline once or twice, lol.

metroid1117

Smash Master
How long do you think doubles would take (with your current list of people)? Would it be okay to arrive later than 12 if you are not interested in playing in the doubles tournament?

Mars-

Smash Champion
@playdan- Ban corneria, thats the only stage his low teirs are good on.

Anyway I don't think I'm going to this anymore sorry for the late notice I got other things going on.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
Hello Everyone ! :D

I am going to give a count to the venue about how many TVs we are going to have. I would truely appreciate if you bring a tv! :)

Copies of Smash and WIIs are obviously in demand as well.

More than enough is better than not enough.

Just a couple days until the big day. Bring as many Brawlers as you can!

I'm thinking doubles will take 2-2.5 hours so if you are just showing up for singles be there by 2:30.
This is an assumption may I add. If doubles get done in an hour than singles will get going.

My cell is available (PM ME) if you want to call me for anything.

Thansk!

-Zec

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'd like to do that to. Tap jumping sucks.

Actually if anyone knows how to use a name you've saved on a wiimote on a different wii, that would work...

DancingSteel

Smash Rookie
Dahm...

I live in Oswego and I've been looking for tournaments around here, but I cant go that day. If you host another, though, I could probably go and bring three pretty competent players with me.

Keep em comin

iao

Smash Rookie
I'll 1$ MM someone in melee, if you tell me how to wavedash and answer my question i posted earlier. Free $.

Edit: Must use low tiers, and also tell me how to change my main on here. The little icon..

Me14k

Smash Lord
I'll 1$ MM someone in melee, if you tell me how to wavedash and answer my question i posted earlier. Free $.

Edit: Must use low tiers, and also tell me how to change my main on here. The little icon..
sure thing. $1 best of three low tier.

Wavedash: Overrated. I don't do it and i do just fine. But to do it, just put the control stick between the diagonal down slot and the down slot, now press x/y and immediately press L/R. There are a ton of youtube videos on it. Every character's WD timing is different. Practice with luigi's.

I couldn't find the question you asked earlier.

Top Bottom