• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Faster shield grabing?

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
So i've been experimenting alot with my playing style and been waching alot of samus vids (mainly Hugs), and I didn't truly realize this untill i did it my self; it seems that there is a type of dashing shield grab that makes samus grab much faster than normal. I notice that hugs does this flawlessly, and i've done it a couple times, but I don't fully realize what im doing. Anyone one know what i'm talking about? As this would drasticly improve my playing strategy.

It seems i dont pay attention to the little things in smash and miss out on alot of techniques.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Dashing *shield* grab?

I know you can jump cancel a grab so that the standing grab animation appears instead of running. All you have to do for that is jump while dashing and then very quickly execute a grab (before you leave the ground).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Are you talking about grabbing people's shields? Yeh, HugS often Dashdances into his grabs. Samus' dash grab comes out faster and ends earlier than her standing grab (I think she's the only character for whom that's true), which makes it much more useful for grabbing someone who is sheild spamming. Although, either way, if you miss, you're pretty screwed, so don't rely on it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I don't rely on the grab too much. There are cases where I try to use it to grab Marth or something to that extent, but that usually only happens if all else has failed.

Or, I like to shoot a missile, chase it, and dash grab. This way, if they put up their shield or CC it they will get grabbed. If they get hit, they get hit. The only bad situations are if they jump it, shine it, or destroy the missile and then hit you before the grab. But, in a lot of situations, that doesn't happen.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the answers, but not exactly what im looking for. Ill try to explain it better.

You know how hugs often dashdances back and forth to confuse the oponemt and right before the dash dance ends he shields? Well when i shield grab just right with the dashdance it seems samus does a faster/tighter version from the grab using the Z trigger. In other words it looks like he is using the Z button to grab, but its tighter and samus doesnt dash as far. It could just be me, but i find my self doing that with timing the dashdance->shield grab just right.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
maybe he's pivoting it? pivoting in general is hard as hell to do, but im sure hes gotten enough practice to be able to do it on command.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
That might be it, but im not totally sure, if i could make a video of it, i would.

Anyway, im just going to assume its a shield grab variation of using the Z trigger.

Bosh

Smash Cadet
where do i find the video google or u tube i don't quite understand what u mean?

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Ok. heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWizodwe88k&feature=related

Exactly at 3:46. hugs does the move i'm talking about.
Ahh... I think what happened there, is, he got close enough to the peach that the beam didn't have to come out, resulting in a faster grab.

Basically, HugS grabbed with the end of the arm cannon, not necessarily waiting for the beam to come out - this made it so that there was nothing to pull back to the arm cannon - normally you grab and you have to wait for the opponent to be pulled back to the beam cannon, you know? Well this way, it made the grab happen really fast.

Try chain-grabbing a no-DI Pichu, for example - you'll be able to grab and throw really fast just from a standing grab.

edit: sweet match by the way...

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
There are two and only two kinds of grabs: standing grabs, and dashing grabs. Standing grabs will occur if you grab while still, while in shield (not moving), if jump-cancelled, or if pivoted. Dashing grabs will occur if you are moving while you grab, including if you pop up your shield for a brief moment. There are no other grabs, and no way to speed up how fast either of these grabs come out. The frame specifics from M2K's stats thread:

Samus
Grab - 18 frames / Total Time - 94 frames
Dash Grab - 18 frames / Total Time - 74 frames

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't exactly pertain to the question but it kinda does at the same time. Samus can grab people out of the air if you hit with the part closest to the arm cannon. Like Saymus said, maybe the beam just didn't have to come all the way out since the peach was so close so its kinda the same thing. But also like Phanna said, you can't speed up a grab animation.

rayecho

Smash Ace
it looks like a really close grab and the beam didn't have the length to get all the way out.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Thanks phanna for the stats.

Now that I look at it more closely, it appears that it's a combination of a dash grab while being up close.

And I didn't know that one could pivot a shield grab and would still register as a dash grab. I should probably just go into training mode and screw around with it to confirm it.

AIDS

Smash Lord
There are two and only two kinds of grabs: standing grabs, and dashing grabs. Standing grabs will occur if you grab while still, while in shield (not moving), if jump-cancelled, or if pivoted. Dashing grabs will occur if you are moving while you grab, including if you pop up your shield for a brief moment. There are no other grabs, and no way to speed up how fast either of these grabs come out. The frame specifics from M2K's stats thread:

Samus
Grab - 18 frames / Total Time - 94 frames
Dash Grab - 18 frames / Total Time - 74 frames
lol phanna knows his frame data and statistics alright! but also the extender is faster aswell!

AIDS

Smash Lord
the extender is the same speed as the regular grapple.
i remember seeing a thread on the frame differance and you can see the differance, im pretty sure its faster. do you study frame data? i swear you can even see, it comes out so much faster!

rayecho

Smash Ace
i remember seeing a thread on the frame differance and you can see the differance, im pretty sure its faster. do you study frame data? i swear you can even see, it comes out so much faster!
if you ever have two samus players on FD and one has the extender, but the other has the regular grapple. grapple with both of them at the same time and see for yourself if the grapple comes back at the same time. watch mission briefing by aftermath.

AIDS

Smash Lord
if you ever have two samus players on FD and one has the extender, but the other has the regular grapple. grapple with both of them at the same time and see for yourself if the grapple comes back at the same time. watch mission briefing by aftermath.
alright, thanks for the advice, it seems to come out faster though, maybe just differant animation?

Top Bottom