• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest edge guarding tactic in the game. (actually useful: post 112)

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
People often ask me, "Do you have any advice? What can I do to become better?" My response is always the same: you need better spacing. Since spacing is not always the easiest aspect of the game to practice, I want to tell you what I did to achieve good spacing.

1. Find a friend with about the same skill level.
2. Play thousands of matches using only A, c-stick, and jump. Do not use L/R at all.
3. Use all of the characters moves during the matches. Get a feel for what each one can do in every situation.

Over time one player will begin to dominate. The weaker player should then realize where and when his spacing is taken advantage of, because it is much easier to realize your mistakes and attempt to fix them when the game is not moving at the pace it does when L and R are allowed.

If you practice this way I guarantee your spacing will improve, and with it, your timing.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
As odd as this might sound to some people, I can guarantee you it will work. Wes here beat me in his very first tournament before he knew any advanced tactics simply because of his good spacing and timing. As hard as it is to admit, he is still capable of beating me with this simple style at times, and it's very frustrating. I recommend people of all levels from newbies to veterans (I dislike the word "pro") should try this if you want to improve your spacing, timing or just your game in general.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
...When you had me grammar-checking that, I thought it was going to be part of some bigger guide-essay-Wes-is-feeling-generous thing. Oh well; I guess it just means I saw it before everyone else, just like I'm going to see Pirates 3 before everyone else, and any other movie, because I'm so much more special. And because I happen to work at a cinema, but that's really a negligible factor.

Oh, uh, everyone do what he says.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm I have never thought of anything like this. I will definitly do this though it is going to be hard not to l-cancel because my fingers do it so automatically >_>.

And wes, Did you do this with Marth or fox or both? Or just a bunch of different characters? It seems like it would be easier to play this way with marth..but would it improve your spacing for your other characters as well?

And you say use all the characters moves but you also say only use A, the c-stick, and jump. What about b moves?

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
I left out B moves because they are not nearly as important as the A attacks. The character I did this with was mostly fox.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
All right thanks a lot Wes. I have always wondered how you got so good in such a short time compared to other smashers...any other training things you do similar to this?

Xelic

Smash Ace
LOLLOLOZLZLZL. This is bull****. The REAL method Wes used to get so good:

Get training from Xelic, the Peach monster from an alternate world line.

Sorry, but there's no hope for any of you.

Also, I'll soon devour your pitiful quadrant of space.

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOLLOLOZLZLZL. This is bull****. The REAL method Wes used to get so good:

Get training from Xelic, the Peach monster from an alternate world line.

Sorry, but there's no hope for any of you.

Also, I'll soon devour your pitiful quadrant of space.
Not to mention Austin pretty much has a good player maining every single high/top tier character making easier for us to get better lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Chang, I don't get your sig. Are you boycotting Pizza Hut or advertising it?

>_>.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
People often ask me, "Do you have any advice? What can I do to become better?" My response is always the same: you need better spacing. Since spacing is not always the easiest aspect of the game to practice, I want to tell you what I did to achieve good spacing.

1. Find a friend with about the same skill level.
2. Play thousands of matches using only A, c-stick, and jump. Do not use L/R at all.
3. Use all of the characters moves during the matches. Get a feel for what each one can do in every situation.

Over time one player will begin to dominate. The weaker player should then realize where and when his spacing is taken advantage of, because it is much easier to realize your mistakes and attempt to fix them when the game is not moving at the pace it does when L and R are allowed.

If you practice this way I guarantee your spacing will improve, and with it, your timing.
Why in the **** didnt you say this before....you told me to switch characters... >_<, I still got love for ya FLT though...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
OH yeah...are we supposed to recover?

Edit(I dont feel like making another post to respond to jeremy)

...I can't help the fact that I want to get better.

TGM

Smash Lord
it honestly doesnt matter how you practice. just do the spacing part like her said.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Well considering that I already play 1/2 the cast...I think Im good. Ill be better if you guys come to OHSNAP3. And if South Paw stops killing himself during matches, and Vegafuse and KOSMOS stop sandbagging.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention Austin pretty much has a good player maining every single high/top tier character making easier for us to get better lol
this is the truth to the max. i gotta say that playing with people like chang, ray, wes, and jordan has gotten me much better in a very short amount of time. ive only been playing for about 8 months, and i am very satisfied with my skill level right now. im still not awesome, but i am happy at where i am so far....

i love chang

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Is this an "I love Austin" thread? Because I want to give a shout to ma peeps, too.

Oh, wait, I don't love you guys. Some of you in particular. Except Chang, because he bounds around so merrily when he's relating that special scene from whatever anime currently metaphorically has him by the proverbial balls. And I temporarily don't hate Jordan, because he has my stuff and I want it back whole.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This turned from Wes giving advice to a change is awesome thread.

>_>...

Works for me.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This turned from Wes giving advice to a chang is awesome thread.

>_>...

Works for me.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So, this is basically along the lines of, "play the game like when it first came out minus all of the B moves and shielding." Sounds silly, but it could work...

artarian

Smash Journeyman
i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

you dont even know!

Xelic

Smash Ace
Okay, Mouf, we have a MM then. How much?

I still have a Bowser ditto MM with Jake as well.

I had one with Drew, but he forgot agreeing to it. I still made him play it.

MWUAHAHAHA.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I love Chang?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
That's really interesting advice. I just hope I don't pick up the habit of reverting to my non L-canceling ways.

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
I recently figured out a very powerful grabbing tactic. I want to see if/how this changes the smash community.

Introducing Tree-Grabbing!

During your run animation hit:
1. Down.
2. The same direction you are running.
3. DA dash the opposite way.
4. Grab.

This tactic allows you to grab behind you during your run animation. You can use it both offensively and defensively with incredibly results.

Make sure you do all steps as quickly as possible.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
That is one heck of a discovery. It also hurts my fingers just thinking about it. One more technical trick I'll never be able to do.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
so it only works with fast runners like falcon fox and marth?

im not even sure if im doin it right. so are you running passed your target? or just goin it before you pass them? cuz im right in front of the guy and turn around and the grab goes thru. is that how it's supposed to go?

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
The trick looks just like a pivot grab out of a dash dance but instead it is during your running animation.

Top Bottom