• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest edge guarding tactic in the game. (actually useful: post 112)

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Okay, this seems like more than just a new powerful tactic to me. It seems like it makes approaching with any sort of attack obsolete. So my question is... how does one go about attacking someone who has mastered this technique?

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
im not even sure if im doin it right. so are you running passed your target? or just goin it before you pass them? cuz im right in front of the guy and turn around and the grab goes thru. is that how it's supposed to go?
*tries*

nope, samus cant do it T.T

Galt

Smash Journeyman
You know, Wes, this would be the perfect time for the Austin crew to finally get around to making some inter-crew vids, so as to showcase techniques like this, as well as to give some exposure to renowned players who happen to have few videos available. For instance, there's a rumor that one of the best Peach players in the country lives in Austin, but no one has ever seen him play. It's also been said that there's a Sheik player down there with multiple monikers who destroys Falcos for great justice by powershielding at will and mindgaming his opponent with his extreme physical sexiness, but no one's ever seen him play. These are just a couple of examples.

Also, tree-grabbing is one of the... stranger names for techniques within recent memory. Maybe. When you mentioned it to me, I expected you'd wait a little longer to post about it. Like, say, at least a few hours. But I see that I was mistaken.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Agreed on the videos part; I am currently cube less and can't try this out for myself :(

So it actually grabs during the run animation? Pretty cool...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm wes I remember seeing you do some weird spaz grab thing at the last tourny was this it? If so it looks weird as hell lol.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
It's also been said that there's a Sheik player down there with multiple monikers who destroys Falcos for great justice by powershielding at will and mindgaming his opponent with his extreme physical sexiness, but no one's ever seen him play.
Smiles doesn't play sheik ;)

but yea, seeing treegrabbing would help.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Smiles doesn't play sheik ;)
HEY! To my understanding, Smiles can't powershield projectiles, and lasers are my specialty, so I win. Also HEY, Forkgirl Galt-sniping ftl :( I'm going to find your posts and talk about how bad a driver you are and stuff. Then I'll come down to SA and 3-stock you on Bust-a-Move.

Unfortunately, the Austin videos campaign seems to be a hopeless crusade. Chang even made a Tsunade combo video once, and has loads of vids of himself using Temari's single good move over and over again endlessly (seriously; it's supposed to be an infinite combo into itself), but there are no vids of Wes vs Jordan anywhere. It's tragic. The community should demand videos.

There is that one low-quality vid of Wes destroying Cave at a tournament recently... But as Cave is my Dallas-trip buddy and let me use his blanket and stuff, we won't mention that.

Mr.C

Smash Master
i own

and thats all that mattters

you can also

run/down/dadash/jab grab

gg

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Okay, this seems like more than just a new powerful tactic to me. It seems like it makes approaching with any sort of attack obsolete. So my question is... how does one go about attacking someone who has mastered this technique?
when they are in front of you... forward smash, lawl... if you dont let them run behind you, they cant do it, dur JF!!!

...<3

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
You know, Wes, this would be the perfect time for the Austin crew to finally get around to making some inter-crew vids, so as to showcase techniques like this, as well as to give some exposure to renowned players who happen to have few videos available. For instance, there's a rumor that one of the best Peach players in the country lives in Austin, but no one has ever seen him play. It's also been said that there's a Sheik player down there with multiple monikers who destroys Falcos for great justice by powershielding at will and mindgaming his opponent with his extreme physical sexiness, but no one's ever seen him play. These are just a couple of examples.

Also, tree-grabbing is one of the... stranger names for techniques within recent memory. Maybe. When you mentioned it to me, I expected you'd wait a little longer to post about it. Like, say, at least a few hours. But I see that I was mistaken.
There a guy in houston who can wall tech everything, but few have seen him.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
You must not have fought me on Hyrule, Jeremy. MWUAHAHAHAHAHA.

I don't lose. ;)

omg those 2v1s back in september. peach's insides are supposed to be crushed after those 300% techs.

i think it was fox who was the only one that couldn't do it. oh man fridays @ UT were the best fridays of my life. now im sittin back and reminiscing on how bad i was back then. couldnt really hit anyone.

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Lol Jeremy. There was the week where Ronnie learned to walltech. Everyone watched him pull it off in matches.

Next week, everyone in Houston could do it lol. (this is a true story)

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Hmm wes I remember seeing you do some weird spaz grab thing at the last tourny was this it? If so it looks weird as hell lol.
What's going on there is he DA dashes (pivots) into a neutral stance and then fsmashes whenever he wants to.

Doint a pivoted neutral stance has multiple advantages:

1) you can choose when to do the fsmash. You can do it right away (equivalent to doing, say, a dash dance and timing a forward smash, for example, on that one frame window you have on the dash dance turn around). You can do it on frame 2, or frame 3, etc. You can choose. It gives you more control

2) If you have pivoted neutral stances mastered, you'll find you can pivot moves much more consistently than trying to do it the "old" way by timing it on that 1 frame window.

The problem is, pivoting neutral stances is kind of hard to do. The only people I've seen who have mastered this are wes and Mr. C

Hmm, actually on second thought I just noticed you said he was doing a weird spaz "grab," so I might be wrong on my description. But, unfortunately I already wrote it out so I'm just going to keep my original post. It might be the right description of what you're referring to.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The thing I saw he was dashdancing around and dashed twoards someone but the dash got really really slow all of a sudden and he grabbed and it looked really werid lol.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Listen to Jordan. He knows things, like how to lose to Galt in a Pichu ditto, which I had hitherto assumed impossible, or how to say that Galt's Luigi tricks don't work while simultaneously proving himself wrong, or how to be half white but completely lame, or how to lose Galt's DVD of Moulin Rouge. Yeah, definitely listen to Jordan.

Mr.C

Smash Master
all it is

is a run/you push down to cancel your run animation/ you dadash grab

its just a very fast turn around grab

artarian

Smash Journeyman
moulin rouge what a ***
so im not even gonna say why i quoted this, just laugh...haha

all it is

is a run/you push down to cancel your run animation/ you dadash grab

its just a very fast turn around grab
thinking about this brought me to realize that while this obviously works really well, why not just run past them, wavedash back, and grab during your wavedash?? if the opponent puts up the shield, which most do (making the Tree grab very effective) Wavedashing backwards into a grab would work just as well.

and if this has never been named before, i am claiming it now as the Art Grab.....dont bash me please, lol.

Mr.C

Smash Master
this is much faster.

this also allows you to always be in your run/dash animation
meaning if your good at pivoting, this helps alot

but then again Wes is the one who should be talking about this technique =)
because i could be completely wrong

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking of this strategy lately, where you run up to your opponent, then CC like you're going to jab or tilt or grab, then wait, crouch for a second again, then immediately stand up and grab. The idea is that your opponent can't figure out what you're going to do, so you mindgame him into standing there with his shield waiting for a grab, then you grab him.

I'm calling it the Galt-Grab. I think it's best with Sheik, but it'll probably work for other characters with fast jabs. Even though you don't use the jab. It's the *threat* of the jab which is important, you know.

Mr.C

Smash Master
lets stop naming things lols

because that is a simple form of mindgamesies =P

Xelic

Smash Ace
Steven, that Pichu ditto was years ago, and you know it. I have since beaten both Wes and Cave in Pichu dittos, making me AMAZING.

So **** your ****. Also, I didn't lose it...it'll turn up...

artarian

Smash Journeyman
dont you guys know, xelic is the most amazing at everything!!!

except for the fact that i am better than him since i have 4-stocked James's (Galt's TWIN BROTHER OOOOOOOOH) TWICE. so booyakasah jordan!

looooooooooove you

artarian

Smash Journeyman
ooooooh, prove it? lol, not that i doubt u, just saaaaaaaaaaaaying, dont want some kind of flame war to start

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lol nick you don't even play any more.

And yeah Jordan thats what it was.

Top Bottom