• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest edge guarding tactic in the game. (actually useful: post 112)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I've been able to work it. I haven't really had the chance to incorporate it into competitive play, but I can get it to work. I've also done "Tree Smashes." I don't necessarily imagine it fitting that well into my Marth game, simply because I don't like flat-out running and prefer to DD and WD (though I'm sure it will prove useful since he has long grab range and the FSmash, and more opportunities to pull either of those out is certainly welcome), but with Fox I can see it being more useful, since he darts around the place a lot. Sheik too, since her DDing skills are limited and often resorts to running, though not as much since she's not as fast and )has a short grab range (though a "Tree DSmash" or "Tree FTilt" could be nifty).

Plus, the controller makes quite a spiffy clacking pattern when performed.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I've been able to work it. I haven't really had the chance to incorporate it into competitive play, but I can get it to work. I've also done "Tree Smashes." I don't necessarily imagine it fitting that well into my Marth game, simply because I don't like flat-out running and prefer to DD and WD (though I'm sure it will prove useful since he has long grab range and the FSmash, and more opportunities to pull either of those out is certainly welcome), but with Fox I can see it being more useful, since he darts around the place a lot. Sheik too, since her DDing skills are limited and often resorts to running, though not as much since she's not as fast and )has a short grab range (though a "Tree DSmash" or "Tree FTilt" could be nifty).

Plus, the controller makes quite a spiffy clacking pattern when performed.
you don't need to do the technique for smashes while running; just jump-cancel. Pressing up or down is a lot easier than down-forward-pivot or whatever it was.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
I do to play...lol

Just not with any of yall peoples.

I downgraded back to items and such lol.

JB, I do play your brother all the time though. He's been hanging at my friends house for awhile now.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
omg those 2v1s back in september. peach's insides are supposed to be crushed after those 300% techs.
i think it was fox who was the only one that couldn't do it. oh man fridays @ UT were the best fridays of my life. now im sittin back and reminiscing on how bad i was back then. couldnt really hit anyone.
True, true.

Also, I'm interested in seeing this grab. I did it a few times on accident with Leegy but it doesn't count since I can just wavedash and turn around grab faster anyway.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I do to play...lol

Just not with any of yall peoples.

I downgraded back to items and such lol.

JB, I do play your brother all the time though. He's been hanging at my friends house for awhile now.
Levi sucks for taking my DS charger. XD. Tell hinm I stole his pokemon lols. You two should go to that SA tourny on the 23rd so you can finnally MM me lols. >_>. Free money is nice.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
LOLOLOL Did someone just ask Wes for videos? Austin crew doesn't make videos. Only excuses as to why we never make videos. We also nap.
I'm going to step up my personal crusade for making Austin crew vids. I've got a VCR, although I'm not really sure that'll help. Anyway, Chang has made a Tsunade combo video, so it's completely possible, probably.

I'll start by preventing Jordan from taking naps all the time like a pansy. You guys should've seen him last semester after he dropped all his classes... Never has an oaf loafed more morosely than he. Then I'll get Chang all pump'd about the idea somehow, probably by offering him food. Then I won't bother mentioning it to Wes, because he'll forget/be apathetic. Then I'll bring my stupid VCR down to the stupid basement and forcibly record someone. Maybe I'll record reqy wrecking. Maybe I'll record Rayz raising a few eyebrows. Maybe I'll record Chang changing a mind or three. But it'll be something.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
me wrecking? cmon im so bad. The last time i wrecked was when I 3 stocked your Marth with DK and that was months ago :) :)

You should just buy one of those TVs with a VCR in them. That way you won't have an excuse to not record someone unless you forget the videotape that is.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Hey, we're not allowed to talk about beating my Marth, because I'm probably better with any character than with Marth. So if anything, we should be laughing at you for losing a stock to my Marth.

We need to find out if anyone in Austin has a method of converting cassettes to digital before I carry my stupid VCR down there. Wes + Jordan should use their winnings from the next tournament to purchase some sort of affordable option, for the good of the crew/community. We'll get Wes to do it; he likes being famous. But not really spending money... Jordan, on the other hand, really likes wasting his money. So first, we need to convince the game developers to stop putting out bad RPGs for a month so Jordan will stop spending all his money on them. Then we'll make Jordan buy the capture card-thing. Okay? Okay.

Pre-Forkgirl snipe: lawlz @ you

reqy

Smash Journeyman
lol you and the austin crew should split up the money, 95% you 5% the rest, so we can actually get a COBY DVR for like $90 and forget all those conversions. VCR's are so yesterday.

'Keep Austin Lazy' should be our new slogan.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I'm going to step up my personal crusade for making Austin crew vids. I've got a VCR, although I'm not really sure that'll help. Anyway, Chang has made a Tsunade combo video, so it's completely possible, probably.

I'll start by preventing Jordan from taking naps all the time like a pansy. You guys should've seen him last semester after he dropped all his classes... Never has an oaf loafed more morosely than he. Then I'll get Chang all pump'd about the idea somehow, probably by offering him food. Then I won't bother mentioning it to Wes, because he'll forget/be apathetic. Then I'll bring my stupid VCR down to the stupid basement and forcibly record someone. Maybe I'll record reqy wrecking. Maybe I'll record Rayz raising a few eyebrows. Maybe I'll record Chang changing a mind or three. But it'll be something.
There were many creative sentences in this post, to which I applaud you, Steven. Also, you should record my stupid monkey because everyone loves stupid monkeys. :)

Galt

Smash Journeyman
You guys want videos of tree-grabbing? I think I've got a clip for you. Yes, my eyes are super-swift detectors for great justice (TM).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cCcu0EJi0Yw

Watch Nihonjin's Sheik at 1:54. That's a tree-grab, or close enough to be pretty much the same idea. And it's even a successful grab attempt, which means tree-grabbing is probably the single most powerful technique invented since wavedash > jab > up-B with Luigi, and also that Nihonjin is secretly studying under Wes in an attempt to prepare for a coup aiming to take down Ken, M2K, PC, and KDJ and introduce Smash-anarchy, to be immediately replaced with a Smash-dictatorship ruled by the Iron Fox (that's Wes) and his personal legion of enforcers led by Nihonjin and known as the Iron Fist, who systematically seek out and destroy any young n00b displaying any kind of disposition toward possible future talent and thereby a threat to His Magnificence, Lord Wes of the Iron Sun (his personal emblem). Fortunately for us, these situations always breed oracles, prophecies, and, eventually, young heroes and revolutions, but those things are rarely pleasant.

Don't think killing Nihonjin will fix the problem, either. Wes is already far too powerful to be stopped by conventional means. To arms, freedom-loving Smashers of the world. Risk your lives now, or lose any chance of them later--the choice is yours.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Big thanks for the example, but I think someone needs to take the keyboard away from you.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Big thanks for the example, but I think someone needs to take the keyboard away from you.
The loss of my keyboard would do nothing, I assure you. I spit vitriol and herald wonders in couplets; I eat truth and disgorge satire at the feet of the masses. I was there when you were born--I slavered the slander that clenched your mother's muscles and wrenched your boyish bundle in bloody birth which warned of dour death. And the voice which drove De Sade and augured Augustine croons insults and crowns victors to this day, in Austin where legends grow with the oaks and share their droughts.

Okay, now you can have my keyboard. Completely done. I need something on-topic.

I... tried tree-grabbing earlier... and it's hard... with Dr. Mario.

Mr.C

Smash Master
the tree grab is just a canceled run d.a grab
its really nothing new we have been doing da grabs for about 4 years now lols
althought there is a slight difference insted of doing a very fast d.a grab i.e what marth does to cg fox etc we pivot the canceled run its gives the same exact effect but is done slightly different.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
very nice vid, wes also showed some of smashers in person what Tree-Grabbing is, pretty nifty stuff. quoting wes (kind of), you can also use it to turn around and attack, as with marth, turn around into a retreating fair. very nice find wes.

Mr.C

Smash Master
its used for the same thing

the flt is just a lil faster... plus your able to fsmash, dtilt, uptilt, jab, aerial etc
ofcourse if your capable of doing those within a pivot.

Mr.C

Smash Master
everything i just listed is very easy
except dtilts and uptilts... which no one can do.

Mr.C

Smash Master
for me from easiest to hardest is

jab, aerial/fsmash, ftilt, dtilt (which ive only done a few times), uptilt (which has only been done by wes once)

you can also pivot downsmash, upsmash which are pretty easy aswell

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
Fastest edge guarding tactic.

Run - Crouch - Dash in the original direction of the run - DA dash - Wavedash backwards - fast fall

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
If you execute all parts of the sequence correctly this method is much faster than moonwalk-edgehogging.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Fastest edge guarding tactic.

Run - Crouch - Dash in the original direction of the run - DA dash - Wavedash backwards - fast fall
actually i have a much faster edge guarding tactic

all you do run - cc - then pivot onto the edge.

heres an example of what it looks like although my version is faster because you automatically fall to the edge from a running animation. This can also be used to fair instantly the opposite direction if needed or bair a fast spike etcetc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UclyPgLKkhY

note: you dont have to be positioned to do the pivot edge hog. You can be running, dashing etc as long as you can get off a quick cc your fine.

here is another example except it is a little bit different (edgeguard pc uses)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g6DI-Ldj1DI

note: all you need is enough distance to start your walk animation then you can turn around and slide onto the edge.

there is also a very weird edgehog that is done by air dodging as though you are about to die because you air dodge facing outwards

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9g8s8aai2rs

Another fast edge guard is called sing canceling

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1aiC84lGk

EDIT: that is not me in either video

reqy

Smash Journeyman
lol fastest edgehodging tactic is SWD to fastfall XD well depending on how far you are from the ledge :D

Mr.C

Smash Master
ive known about all of those for a long time except the sing cancel

and I dont watch videos of vidjo or anything i just found those on youtube right now just to show wes faster edge guarding techniques lols

Also falco has a very fast laser edge guard
its a laser mixed with a pc edge guard

Top Bottom