• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Albums of 2011?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Link to original post: [drupal=4967]Favorite Albums of 2011[/drupal]

I tried to expose myself to a lot of new music last year. Now, I don't mean 'new music' as in 'new genres' (**** that ****, I still have to much pretentious hipster indie rock to catch up on
), but rather, albums that were made in 2011. A couple have really stuck out to me. What are some of your favorites of yesteryear?

Austra - Feel It Break

I'm usually not a big fan of electronic music, but FiB is probably my favorite album of 2011. The vocals are simply wonderful; the lead singer has one of the most interesting singing voices I've ever heard. Fourth track Beat and the Pulse is so tasty :3

Fishboy - Classic Creeps

One that you really need to listen to as an entire album than individual songs. Quirky, catchy, sad, beautiful.

Electric 6 - Heartbeats & Brainwaves

A little goofy, but it just adds to its charm. I can't believe I hadn't heard of these guys before.

Yuck - Yuck

When I first picked up Yuck, I thought they sounded like a worse version of Dinosaur Jr. Since then, the album has really grown on me. Definately check it out if you're into 90s-esque rock.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If we're talking Albums that came out this year, gonna be the *** in me and say:

I think I've listened to each song WELL over 300 times this year.

As for my favorite Album that I BOUGHT this year:

Alright, Still would probably come in first, followed by Femme Fetale, and then in third:

Meh, overall the year, for me, was pretty dancy, with Body Talk and Femee Fatale, but also really *****y with Alright, Still. Gay.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't see why she doesn't just stop now.

Robyn is good though.
I liked the album, the sound was delicious to dance to.

Honestly, I think Born This Way wasn't as good as it could have been. I think it really felt... in tatters. Like, the songs didn't flow well for me, in some respects. Some songs were so sore thumb stick out, and they contrasted the album to the point where they felt like they were meant for a seperate Album. Still, had some damn good songs, and one of my personal favorite albums, just... not The Fame/Monster sequel I was looking for. But let's not have a Queen of Pop battle here, let's leave that for Youtube.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby

Rise Against - Endgame

Britney Spears - Femme Fatale

Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers

Evanescence - Evanescence

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Better and more successful than your faves.
Oh boy. Not this trolling **** again.

Honestly, I think Born This Way wasn't as good as it could have been. I think it really felt... in tatters. Like, the songs didn't flow well for me, in some respects. Some songs were so sore thumb stick out, and they contrasted the album to the point where they felt like they were meant for a seperate Album. Still, had some damn good songs, and one of my personal favorite albums, just... not The Fame/Monster sequel I was looking for. But let's not have a Queen of Pop battle here, let's leave that for Youtube.
^^^ Pretty truthful right here, although I think I got less enjoyment out of the album than Shortie seems to have gotten. There are some good songs, but it doesn't match up to her previous work, and there's a serious lack of ballads in favor of weird crap.

Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby
Completely and totally agree with this. As I said in the music blog I made a few weeks ago, Goodbye Lullaby was definitely my favorite 2011 release. Loved every song on it, though some more than others. Piano, acoustic guitar, and Avril's vocals all the way.

Also notable:

The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost

An unusual album, given that it's a sort of new-age-y, ambient album, but it's an amazing one. It flows together great and the music is beautiful and calming.

Glasvegas - Euphoric /// Heartbreak \\\

Glasvegas has an interesting, unique sound; I'm not sure how to describe it, exactly, but I like it. The lead singer takes a bit of getting used to (given that the band is Scottish, he has a pretty thick Scottish accent, which is awesome but a bit hard to understand at times), but overall it's a great album.

---

Other than that, though, most of the standout albums of the year for me were released before 2011, since I do more exploring of musical artists than I do just keeping track of the most recently released popular music.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Skrillex - Bangarang

It was a pretty nice album but the only track the went a little downhill was the devil's den.
The rest was awesome. I can't wait for skrillex's first studio album, "Voltage", which is coming out this year.

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Hands down one of the best albums in my opinion. Charlie Brown completely blew evey other song they have made.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Wild Flag's debut album. My wife got me into Carrie Brownstein (co-star of the sketch comedy Portlandia). and her older project Sleater-Kinney and when this band formed it was all she could do to keep it in her pants, lol. We saw them perform live in New Orleans a few months back, and it was amazing.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Lots of amazing albums this year. These are in no particular order, but the best one is definitely Never Born, Never Dead by Trophy Scars. I also saw that two people had one of my favorites, which is good to know.

Edit: I also didn't namesearch into here lol...

House of Balloons

Helplessness Blues

Finest Hour

Ghost

Never Born, Never Dead

Oneirology

Sit Resist

25th Anniversary Symphony

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Lil B "I'm Gay"

"the hood is a lie"

"if you walk with it it's a good decision"

I was not expecting such a heartfelt and sincere album from Lil B and I'm surprised at how much play this album has gotten from me. It changed my perspective of Lil B as an ironic comedy rapper to the real thing- an artist who is not afraid to be himself, who can touch and inspire my heart just by virtue of sincerity . Uplifting and passionate and positive music. I'm so excited to see what the future will bring for Lil B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5baKJpILEw

Top Bottom