• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Nintendo console? (handhelds included!)

Favorite Nintendo console?

• Total voters

finalark

SNORLAX
Hello everyone. I thought this might be a fun thread for everyone here to talk about their favorite Nintendo consoles and maybe spread the word on a few games that people might not have heard of that made you love that console. Or even games they probably have. Feel free the splurge as much as you like on what made whatever console you like and why it's your favorite.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Picking a single one is too hard; I'll say that my favorite console is GameCube and favorite handheld is Game Boy Advance. GameCube was the first Nintendo console to have decent 3D graphics, had titles for every kind of person (fighting games like Soul Calibur 2 and Melee, zombie-survival with Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime for adventuring games, RPGs with Paper Mario, Baten Kaitos, and Pokemon Colosseum, etc.) to make a very diverse game library, possibly one of the best controllers of all time, the last console to have decent amount of 3rd party support, and it gave birth to Pikmin, Animal crossing (in America), and many other series along with being the last console to have an F-Zero or Star Fox game.

GBA was basically the handheld SNES, but slightly stronger. Its simple control layout made it easy to use, its battery lasted forever, it was almost as indestructible as a Nokia, and it had an amazing library, too. It had 3rd gen Pokemon, Golden Sun, Mega Man: Battle Network, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem just to name a few. Both of the GBAs are (in my opinion) near-perfect consoles.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Not surprising that GameCube gets the vote on this website. Overall though, N64 is my favorite console of all time.

D

Deleted member

It's hard to say, but I am going to choose the Nintendo 64. It had a lot of fantastic games and it is the system that got me into gaming.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not surprising that GameCube gets the vote on this website. Overall though, N64 is my favorite console of all time.
My choice for GCN actually had very little to do with Smash, mostly because I haven't played competitve Smash for years and just hang around this website for the Lighthouse and Nintenzone. Like @ Spak Spak said, the GCN had a fantastic library with a ton of awesome games from damn near every genre.

My only complaint about the console is that while the controller is great for most genres, it isn't so much for others. Most fighting games and FPS usually suffered on the GCN compared to the PS2 and Xbox. I point to Soul Calibur II and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. Both of which play much better on Sony and MS' consoles.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm going for the Gamecube because it's got a lot of unique games on it along with some hidden gems nobody talks about. Second favorite console is the SNES.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
Gamecube cause all of my favorite games are on there, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee. The list goes on.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Super Nintendo and Nintendo DS are easily the best. Then the Game Boy Advance, the Wii, the Gamecube and then others.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
The game boy advance, easily.
Backwards compatible with ALL game boy games, was able to play many games that were rereleased for it from SNES era, my first console with the most nostalgic memories, had a good battery life, the Super Mario Advance series in particular was a highlight. Pokémon, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, this console had it all.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The game boy advance, easily.
Backwards compatible with ALL game boy games, was able to play many games that were rereleased for it from SNES era, my first console with the most nostalgic memories, had a good battery life, the Super Mario Advance series in particular was a highlight. Pokémon, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, this console had it all.
If you take backwards compatibility into account, the GameCube can play all Game Boy, Color, and Advance games.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
If you take backwards compatibility into account, the GameCube can play all Game Boy, Color, and Advance games.
The game boy player was an additional accessory that most people did not get.
Furthermore, a gamecube is not portable, which is the reason I chose the GBA over the other consoles.
It doesn't feel the same playing pokemon red on a big tv as it does playing it on the bus to school, for example.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Holy necroposting Batman! :4robinm:

Well, since I'm here, I'll just say I'm part of the Gamecube master race.
- Smash Bros. Melee
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door
- Zelda: The Wind Waker AND Twilight Princess AND Ocarina of Time Master Quest
- Luigi's Mansion and Wario World
- Kirby's ****ing Airride
- Metroid Prime 1 and 2
- F-Zero GX
- Every GBA game with the Game Boy Player
- Resident Evil 1, Zero, and RE4.
- Sonic games (for better or worse)
- Eternal Darkness
- Pikmin 1 & 2
- Tales of Symphonia
- Beyond Good and Evil

I rest my case.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
It was a tough call in between gamecube and super nintendo but SNES was the system that made me a gamer for life

I was younger when SNES came out and I put countless hours into

Chrono Trigger
Legend of Zelda
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter 2
Final Fantasy
Mario games

On Gamecube I spent countless hours playing

Smash melee
Tales of Symphonia
Soul Calibur
Phantasy Star
Star Fox Assault
Metroid Prime

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The game boy player was an additional accessory that most people did not get.
Furthermore, a gamecube is not portable, which is the reason I chose the GBA over the other consoles.
It doesn't feel the same playing pokemon red on a big tv as it does playing it on the bus to school, for example.
Actually, I still play Yellow on my 64. Playing your Pokemon game using Stadium or Stadium 2 is another reason why they are better than Battle Revolution, but that's another subject.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think I could ever make an absolute definitive in-that-order list for my favorite GCN games, but here's a few of my favorites:

- Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
- Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (which I actually like better than PS1 MGS1 /unpopularopinions)
- Tales of Symphonia
- Resident Evil remake
- Resident Evil 4
- Ports of both Sonic Adventures
- Melee (duh)
- Metroid Prime 1 and 2
- Luigi's Mansion
- Mario Sunshine
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- Legend of the Zelda Wind Waker
- Super Monkey Ball
- Star Fox Assault
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but I still own copies of most of those games. The ones I don't I either lost to people borrowing them and then never returning them or this bizarre phase I when thought in middle school where I was convinced that everything I liked as a kid was dumb because that's "mature" or something equally as stupid.

Duzerp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0189-9883-4169
DS is definitely the best handheld next to GBA. It didn't have the most original line-up of games, but it took the excellence of past franchises and made them bigger and better, while introducing a handful of new titles and sleeper hits.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
My favorite Nintendo console is probably the original backwards compatible Wii because it allows me to play 3 of my favorite games (4 if you count Project M) all on one console.

Now that Nintendo has started selling GameCube controllers again, OG Wii's are even more desirable as many Virtual Console games can be played with it.

ProGamer

Smash Rookie
My favorite was to be the Nintendo DS my favorite games are Star Fox Command , New Super Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi Bowser's inside story, Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Sayians and more. the other one is the N64.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I would say the Nintendo 64, since I do have a lot of fond memories for playing certain games such as Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros 64, Mario Party 64 and many more.

Epitaph

Smash Rookie
NNID
EPlTAPH
3DS FC
2294-3392-3461
My personal favourite? In my biased opinion, the Gamecube was what I had grown up with for years. But I also think the SNES or Nintendo DS were the best Nintendo consoles put out.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
While I have many fond memories of my SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, the various Gameboy iterations and DS, my Nintendo console, or in this case, handheld, is the 3DS. At first, I wasn't too impressed with the initial launch of the 3DS but that quickly changed later that same year and it only snowballed from there. Here are some of my favourite games on the 3DS.

-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Persona Q
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
-Kirby's Triple Deluxe
-Pokemon X and Y
-Shin Megami Tensei IV
-Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-A Link Between Worlds
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf
-Bravely Default
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

And these are just some of my favourites. There's many more I did not list. Not to mention there's Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Codename S.T.E.A.M, Fire Emblem: If, Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and many other awesome games coming out this year for the 3DS. Seriously, I've spent an obscene amount of hours on my 3DS than any other Nintendo system. It may have it's flaws, but I enjoy the crap out it, and that's what matters! ^_^

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Um, excuse me? Where's my Virtual Boy option?
...I'm kidding it's the Super Nintendo. I played my step-dad's SNES for years, then bought my own complete in box with birthday money last year, and then I bought a SNES Mini/2/Jr for my girlfriend (although, we're long distance, yet when I move over there we will probably set up my SNES in place of her Mini). There's just....there's not anything I dislike about the console. At all. I could play Super Mario World over and over, as it's my favorite game ever, and I've made custom boxes for all my cartridges (although I've also done that for my NES and N64 games)

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
It was a tough choice, but I feel like the 3DS has to be my favorite, in terms of what it offers, 1st party games, and features overall. It took a while for them, sure, to include some pretty vital/cool features such as folders and themes, but overall, I've always been satisfied with the 3DS lineup.

Of course, the games is where it shines. Surely, their initial lineup of games (and initial console) wasn't amazing, save for Zelda, but over time, they really made it big with the big ones. Smash Bros, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Kirby, Starfox, Luigi's Mansion, Mario, Mario Kart... all great, memorable games.

I also have a small bias to handhelds. Always convenient to me, personally. Someday I will upgrade my original 3DS to a sleek New Nintendo 3DS, since it seems as if the 3DS line will be living for another couple years because of the arrival of such.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
N64 is my personal favorite nintendo console. I don't own one, but I've played many VC / Remastered N64 games and I must say that they are a blast to play.
Only issue with the console is the fact that it had virtually no third party games (at least is comparison to the original playstation).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Was gonna pick Game Boy Color for Pokémon Crystal, but Gamecube is just way too good.

Mario Sunshine, Melee, Mario kart: Double Dash, Sonic Adventure 2, Mario Strikers...

I didn't have a LOT of games for the console, but I had pretty much all good ones XD

Panda Yuki

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandaYuki
3ds is my favorite handheld because of its enormous library of fantastic games, while GameCube is my favorite home console because of how creative and fun it's games were (also nostalgia).

Serperior

Wobbler
Gamecube got me into so many good games, I had to pick it. (Pikmin 2, Pikmin 1, Melee, Sunshine)

Rugal Cuttah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-8390-5278
Hello everyone. I thought this might be a fun thread for everyone here to talk about their favorite Nintendo consoles and maybe spread the word on a few games that people might not have heard of that made you love that console. Or even games they probably have. Feel free the splurge as much as you like on what made whatever console you like and why it's your favorite.
Gamecube cause it was the birth of the best biohazard remake/game made, the Skies of Arcadia expansion and Phantasy star online game i got addicted too.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
No NES votes? I guess with a topic where you only have to choose one, it's loved but not the most loved :(

N64 used to be my favorite hands down. Even with the Wii I found myself playing the n64 virtual console games the most (gamecube controller is better for most of them btw). But I really think the Wii U might just trump it. The thing is, I've always been a multiplayer/party games guy, and the Wii U has the strongest options for getting as many players in one room as possible involved, be it 5 player Mario Chase or 8 player Smash.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Wii, because i can install homebrew to get emulators, and it can play all of the amazing Wii and Gamecube games.

Top Bottom