• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

|FBT6 - BRAWL| March 20-21 Oshkosh, WI. West Circuit Event #2 - Results in 1st Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Please remove the unfair levels. I'm going but i don't feel like getting b.s.'d on entirely unfair levels like no-fair and rainbow cruise. The only 4 levels that should be enabled are the fair ones being: battlefield, FD, Smashville, and yoshi's island. Every other level has some sort of distraction that lowers the amount of skill needed vs luck.

Are you serious?

Bil

Smash Ace
Please remove the unfair levels. I'm going but i don't feel like getting b.s.'d on entirely unfair levels like no-fair and rainbow cruise. The only 4 levels that should be enabled are the fair ones being: battlefield, FD, Smashville, and yoshi's island. Every other level has some sort of distraction that lowers the amount of skill needed vs luck.
No Johns ******.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
No Johns ******.
And on that note, why don't we just allow every level? Seriously, what's the criteria/standard being used to decide which levels go in and which don't? Might as well put in items too and all of you champs that love the levels with absurd distractions can call yourselves that must more skillful.

Items don't make you good. Levels that can actually kill you while your opponent sits back and laughs don't equal skill. Playing for money shouldn't involve large, biased amounts of luck.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Have you never gone to a tournament before?
Yes, the official nintendo sanctioned tourney when the game first came out. Btw, only battlefield = fair. Items = fair? No

And trying to weasel your way out of a logical debate or inquiry with a question that is trying to belittle me doesn't make you more valid nor right.

I haven't been to any other tourney's but that doesn't mean my logic isn't sound, even, supposing, every other tournament was run the same was as this one is currently

Bil

Smash Ace
And on that note, why don't we just allow every level? Seriously, what's the criteria/standard being used to decide which levels go in and which don't? Might as well put in items too and all of you champs that love the levels with absurd distractions can call yourselves that must more skillful.

Items don't make you good. Levels that can actually kill you while your opponent sits back and laughs don't equal skill. Playing for money shouldn't involve large, biased amounts of luck.
Learn to Wisconsin.

Bil

Smash Ace
Yes, the official nintendo sanctioned tourney when the game first came out. Btw, only battlefield = fair. Items = fair? No

And trying to weasel your way out of a logical debate or inquiry with a question that is trying to belittle me doesn't make you more valid nor right.

I haven't been to any other tourney's but that doesn't mean my logic isn't sound, even, supposing, every other tournament was run the same was as this one is currently
If you can win this over with SBR, then I'll support you 100%. Until then, GGNORE.

Wafles

Smash Lord

Who the hell are you? These rules have been in the smash community for a long, long time, and were debated on and argued about amongst the best smashers in the community. The stages were debated heavily and were developed by the SBR over time. This is a standard ruleset.

Some random scrub coming in here and trying to change the system isn't going to compete with the standards set by some of the best and most respected smashers in the entire community. How you've managed to follow this community for almost 2 years without being aware of these rules is seriously shocking.

Use your **** skill to overcome the hazards and use them to your advantage, jesus.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Who the hell are you? These rules have been in the smash community for a long, long time, and were debated on and argued about amongst the best smashers in the community. The stages were debated heavily and were developed by the SBR over time. This is a standard ruleset.

Some random scrub coming in here and trying to change the system isn't going to compete with the standards set by some of the best and most respected smashers in the entire community. How you've managed to follow this community for almost 2 years without being aware of these rules is seriously shocking.

Use your **** skill to overcome the hazards and use them to your advantage, jesus.
Let's just break this down

1. I have to be "someone" to cause change within a small midwest tournment? Not a huge demand but whatever

2. Can you elaborate and provide some sources that would back up your claims? I don't see how a stage, such as green greens, or rainbow cruise is within the range of fair? Jungle japes...only level i know where someone can unintentionally die at 0% and it's not due to a lack of skill...the level has more then one way to royally screw over many characters

3. Obviously, if the rules don't get altered i'll adapt nonetheless but just because these "rules" have supposedly been established, doesn't mean they shouldn't ever be questioned or altered. If you have a qualm with me suggesting only the 4 fairest stages in the game, address me from that vantage point, don't just try to personally attack me or make up obscure references to "pros and their decisions" without citations or any proof.

I'm providing logical reasoning as to why 4 fair stages should be the only stages and everything else puts at least a few characters at a disadvantage and winning by luck doesn't make me feel good.

I guess it comes down to, let's hope you're there, i play you, and you get lava'd randomly in no-fair or bomb spiked on green greens. I'll have my "that level's TOTALLY fair" sign ready.

Dragmire

Smash Lord
Let's just break this down

1. I have to be "someone" to cause change within a small midwest tournment? Not a huge demand but whatever

2. Can you elaborate and provide some sources that would back up your claims? I don't see how a stage, such as green greens, or rainbow cruise is within the range of fair? Jungle japes...only level i know where someone can unintentionally die at 0% and it's not due to a lack of skill...the level has more then one way to royally screw over many characters

3. Obviously, if the rules don't get altered i'll adapt nonetheless but just because these "rules" have supposedly been established, doesn't mean they shouldn't ever be questioned or altered. If you have a qualm with me suggesting only the 4 fairest stages in the game, address me from that vantage point, don't just try to personally attack me or make up obscure references to "pros and their decisions" without citations or any proof.

I'm providing logical reasoning as to why 4 fair stages should be the only stages and everything else puts at least a few characters at a disadvantage and winning by luck doesn't make me feel good.

I guess it comes down to, let's hope you're there, i play you, and you get lava'd randomly in no-fair or bomb spiked on green greens. I'll have my "that level's TOTALLY fair" sign ready.
1.you aren't important, and yes YOU NEED TO BE IMPORTANT TO MAKE THESE CHANGES

2.seeing as how both players can be affected by these unknown variables it's fair (I.e apples, stage affects, projectiles, lasers and whatnot)

3. you attacked first ss don't try protecting yourself with that crap welcome to the internet and more importantly WI, NO JOHNS

and to your other little statements I'll be there with my "This guy's a douche" signs cause your a douche

and ask anyone in WI If you get owned by dragmire you obviously suck

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Well FD can gimp some Chars, Yoshi's has those weird ledges that sometimes it screws the sweet spot, Battlefield well I get distracted by the changing background, Smashville I just don't like the way the people in the background look at me XP

But seriously, like Wafles mention, this stages have been discuss and what not, we all follow the rules set by SBR, they may not be "fair", and they may help some Chars out, but that's why they are called Counter Picks, so the player who lost the match before can pick a stage that helps his Char.

I enjoy every stage, I even play in Skyworld, which is not that bad of a stage if you know how to tech, point being every stage that has a hazard, can be avoided, take Halbert for example, are you telling me you can't see the Lock-on thing before it fires the lazer, and in any way if there's a stage that your Char does really bad, then just banned it.

Yes, the official nintendo sanctioned tourney when the game first came out.
^This by the way made me laugh, since I'm pretty sure just about all of us entered a similar tourney, personally I though it was a joke, since my Char was random(Peach), I had to use Wii mote+Nunchuck, 1min long, Items on, and it was on Tourney Mode. Don't expect that every tourney you go to will go by those rules, and I'm pretty sure that's the only sanctioned tourney that Nintendo will ever do. Anyways the rules that you should follow are the ones from SBR.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Ganondorf all the rules were individually voted on to give both variety and fairness. On one extreme, a tournament where every match played on Smashville would have zero variety, and may not even be fair. The scene would also become stale and probably cause interest to wane. Having all levels legal would have a lot of variety but be very unfair. So the idea is to allow a few stages that are a little lame, but not too lame :) And if you win game 1, but then lose on a lame counterpick, you have the choice to go right back to a neutral. This ruleset is a middle ground between the two extremes. The first stage is the same list as your 4 neutrals, and from there on there is more potential for variety. This means that the eventual winner is obligated (but not required) to be competent on adverse playing fields, and the competition is more interesting as a result.

Don't forget you're given the option to ban your least favorite stage. You can also mutually agree with your opponent to ban extra stages -- I ask to mutually ban Lylat Cruise all the time :dedede:

I would also like to ask everyone to stop getting mad over video game forums because it is ****ting up my thread :bee: thanks!

olsonpm

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Eighteen spikes hit it right on. We can all agree that those stages are not as fair as the neutral ones, but having simply four levels throughout every tournament would get old pretty fast. That, and in the long run it seems that the levels shouldn't ultimately decide the winner - in terms of best of 3/5. It is funny how your question brought about the blind faith everyone has in the pros haha. The blind faith works out decently though for at least 3 reasons

1. Nation-wide standards prove to be productive
2. The pros didn't just randomly choose what levels to be banned, and which stayed. They contemplated/debated then voted on which ones would stay. People don't know what the reasons are, but they are probably good ; ) .
3. If everyone had an equal say in how to change matters, a standard wouldn't exist. People would be arguing all over forums. A higher order is needed -.-

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Also!

Even the neutrals give benefits to different characters. Diddy Kong has an absolute advantage on FD over any character especially a gannondorf for example. Neutrals aren't necessarily "fair" either. The best player overcomes whatever adversity is thrown at him/her.

olsonpm

Smash Cadet
btw guys, here's something to be jealous over.

I have a campus job where I authorize and sort out keys given to students/faculty. I just came across a person with the last name 'Gannon'.

olsonpm

Smash Cadet
btw guys, i have something for all of us to be jealous over.

I have a campus job where I authorize and file keys given to faculty and students. I just came across a person whose last name is 'Gannon'.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
lets use this ruleset :smash:

Hey everyone this is your neighborhood Smasher, Wes speaking on behalf of myself and D.A.
We are coming back with hosting the smash events that people loved or hated. For a year now we have kind of been observing and collecting our thoughts and views on brawl. We came to the conclusion that it’s a piece of crap a big disappointment and not meant to be played competitively but yet we force it to be. This brings me to the things that are really disturbing to us, which are the rules. If this game is going to be forced into competition wouldn’t it be good to make rules fit for competition being fair for almost every character to have a fighting chance to play? Yes it would, but this community fails to make rules that way, instead we make rules that put the game in reverse back to melee days and other games like MVC (Marvel vs. Capcom) having like 25 to 50 characters but only 4 to 8 can win tournaments consistently if played at high levels. That’s nonsense, why do that? That takes the fun out of the game if all you see is the same 4 to 8 characters winning tournaments because of the rules that cater to only them. It kills the life span of the game competitively, instead of the games competitive fire lasting for like 8 yrs it only lasts 4 yrs the most, that’s sad.

This game has so many good characters that can win unlike melee no matter what rules you put in you will get the same out come the 4 gods winning. In brawl you have so many good characters if the rules were fair. You have Toon link, Lucario, Olimar, Sonic, Shiek/Zelda, Ike, Luigi, Mario, Wario and PokemonTrainer the list goes on. But these characters don’t have a fighting chance with chain grabbing, jab-locking infinities, grab releases and other messed up tactics. So from all of this me and the rest of D.A came up with a rule set that would give EVERYONE that has skills with their character a fighting chance. Our smash events will really show who knows how to play the game for what its worth. Smash is a game made for fighters to be able to push their characters to the limit by mastering the characters art of fighting along with being aware of their environment while battling their opponents. If you take out environmental hazards from smash then it will no longer be smash. This community tries to turn this game into street fighter you cant do that it breaks the game and makes a lot of characters useless to get good with.

These smash events will be held biweekly or at least 2 Fridays a month not consecutive Fridays. What we are also planning on doing with our events is making a point system also to give people a reason to come back to our events to build their points up to gain extra prizes. Matches will also in due time will be recorded and put up online as soon as we get them. Below are the details of the event and rules. There will be a lot of controversy from all of this but so what, without controversy we would not be DA. We will be the 1st to run tournaments the way they are suppose to be, so with out further ado.

ADDRESS:
• 137 East 13th Street, Between 3rd and 4th Avenue, New York
• New York, 10003, United States of America
• Play N Trade / Union Square is conveniently located at 137 East 13th Street between 3rd and 4th Ave in Manhattan, just a short walk from the following subways (14th St/Union Square): 4 5 6 L N Q R W

Time:
Registration starts: 5pm
Event starts: 6pm

Phone: (212) 674-0200

Spectator fee:
$5 dollars or a person at the least buy a merchandise from the store ranging from $2 and up (vitamin water, fruit-juice, water, etc). Ask for a receipt Show it as proof that you brought something.

Price - $10 Venue Fee
Price - $10 person for 1v1
Price - $20 team for 2v2 ($10 per person)

1v1 pot payout

if 30 or less attend it will be

1st – 65%
2nd – 25 %
3rd – 10%

If 40 – 50 attend it will be more like this

1st – 60%
2nd - 20%
3rd – 15%
4th – 5%

If 60 and over attend it will be

1st – 50%
2nd – 20
3rd – 15%
4th – 10%
5th – 5%

2v2 pot payout

if 30 or less teams attend it will be

1st – 65%
2nd – 25 %
3rd – 10%

If 40 – 50 teams attend it will be more like this

1st – 60%
2nd - 20%
3rd – 15%
4th – 5%

If 60 and over teams attend it will be

1st – 50%
2nd – 20
3rd – 15%
4th – 10%
5th – 5%

Rules:

* Matches will be THREE (3) Stock, seven minute time limit.
* Double Elimination. All matches will be 2/3, with Winners finals being 3/5. And grand finals being best of 4/ 7
* The bracket will be seeded by crews/region and rankings.
* Items will be off.
* Life stealing is allowed in teams.
* Smash balls will be OFF.
* Advanced Slob picks: First match is a blind pick, where the competitors will tell their character to a judge, and then proceed.

* -Dave's Stupid Rule Modified will be in effect. The same stage can not be played twice in a row in a single set. Unless the person/team that lost on it picks it again
* The Mage's DQ rule is also in effect:
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set
* Any attempt at lame tactics will result in a warning. Any further attempt at lame tactics will result in forfeit.

Singles and Teams rules:

Team attack on
Life stealing is allowed

1st match is ALWAYS RANDOM!!!!
2nd match stage will be picked by loser. Only if he/she/team don’t pick character. If not it will be chosen randomly.

3rd match stage will be picked by loser. Only if he/she/team don’t pick character. If not it will be chosen randomly.
Same applies for matches 4th-7th in the Winners finals and grand finals.

Counter-pick rules:

He/She/Team is allowed to pick either character or stage when they lose not both.
If He/She/Team picks character instead of stage, then stage will be picked at random!!!!!

Winners of any and every match aren’t allowed to choose stage or change character.

NEUTRAL STAGES:

There is no such thing as neutral stages in brawl. There aren’t any stages that are fair for the whole cast in the game therefore not being neutral. If you want to know the meaning of neutral look it up and you will see why my theory about neutral stages in brawl is right.

STAGES THAT CAN BE COUNTERPICKED AND ALSO ON RANDOM:

BATTLEFIELD
FINAL DISTINATION
DELFINO PLAZA
PIRATESHIP
NORFAIR
FRIGATE ORPEON
YOSHI'S ISLAND - BRAWL
HALBERD
LYLAT CRUISE
POKEMON STADIUM 2
CASTLE SIEGE
SMASHVILLE
SKYWORLD
PICTOCHAT
SHADOW MOSES
GREEN HILL ZONE
CORNERIA
JUNGLE JAPES
BRINSTAR
POKEMON STADIUM
RAINBOW CRUISE
GREEN GREENS
ONETT
MARIO CIRCUIT
BRIDGE OF ELDIN (TEAMS ONLY)
YOSHI’S ISLAND- MELEE
THE SUMMIT ICE CLIMBERS STAGE

Stage banning rules:

3 stage bans for each player/team

Stage restart rule:
1 stage Restart for each player/team.

EVERY OTHER STAGE THAT HASN’T BEEN MENTIONED IS BANNED IN SINGLES
AND TEAMS!!!!

BANNED TACTICS:

1. No Stalling under a stage:
Any type that includes even Sonics homing attack stall.
-Running away to run the time limit. If there's 30 seconds, and you bail, that's one thing. But if you waste 5 minutes, or be a jerk about it, we're stopping the match. It's at the judge's discretion.)
Stalling is banned!!!!!!

2. No CHAINGRABS:
Meaning a person can only do 1 grab then they must throw their opponent away, do any attack other than another grab or just let them break free. Examples of chain-grabs: Falco's, Dedede’s walking and running chain-grab Ice climbers chain-grab, Pikachu’s, Yoshi’s, even zero suit Samus’s on fox with her down-smash can be consider in between a chain-grab and infinite. These tactics and tactics from other characters that weren’t mentioned that are associated to them are banned. Anything that has guaranteed regrabs that you can't escape are banned (D3's small step infinite/standing infinite/CG, falco's CG/etc, but not Diddy Kong, who doesn't have a real chain grab and can only get two grabs in a row if the opponent screws up). Everything else, where it is essentially punishing the opponents mistakes, are good to go!!!!

3. No infinities:
Such as Dedede’s standing chain-grab, Ice climbers standing chain-grab, etc. These tactics and tactics from other characters that weren’t mentioned that are associated to them are banned!!!

4. No Wall infinities: Any moves, grabs, or tactics that pin characters to the wall guaranteed aren't allowed. Examples: Fox's drill to shine combo against the wall on characters are banned. Dk's throw against the wall is banned.

5. No Jab-locks or jab-locks against walls hence being called a wall infinite.

I REPEAT ALL JABLOCKS ARE BANNED EVEN PROJECTILES THAT LOCK YOU!!! (Laser-lock, banana-lock, Ice-lock, etc) All jab-locks and projectiles-locks are not allowed. Players are only allowed to lock you once with a jab or projectile then follow up with a smash attack knocking you away. They can’t do any more than one lock.

Example: If a Diddy has 2 bananas on the stage, then throws both of them at you one after the other causing you to be locked to the floor. He must either grab you or smash attack you he can’t repeat the same lock combo carrying you across the stage.

6. No Game and Watch oil spill: Game and watch can’t use the bucket to attack if he teams with Zero suit Samus ,Zelda, Pikachu, Luigi, Wolf, or Mario. He is only allowed to use the bucket if the opposing team fills it up.

7. Grab releases are banned:
If you grab any character that can be grab released and release them u must let them hit the ground. Or when you grab them you have the choice to either hit them while grabbing them or throw them in any direction)

9. Anti ledge-hopping rule:
Players are only allow to ledge hop 5 times the max after the 5th time players have to either drop down to their death or get back on the stage.

10. Anti-camping rule:
If the timer runs out, the opponent must be ahead by two stocks in order to receive the win by time. If time does run out and if one player has a stock over the next the match is restarted with the stock that was left when time ran out. If time runs out a second time and the match has to be played a 3rd time. The match will be played on port town aero dive, that will ensure the time wont run out a 3rd time. This applies only for singles.

11. Teams infinite grab: If its a 2 on 1 the team with 2 players left cannot grab the person that's alone and let him go letting their teammate grab them again. Repeating it until the person is ready to die.

PENALTIES:

Every time anyone is caught grab releasing, Team chaingrabbing, chain-grabbing, doing an infinite or any jab-locks in a match will be penalized:
1st time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infiniting will result in the person that performed these banned tactics will be warned.
2nd time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infiniting will result in the person that performed these banned tactics will be forced to lose a stock.
3rd time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infiniting will result in the person that performed these banned tactics will automatically lose the match.

TACTICS ALLOWED:

If Bowser or Ganadorf suicide-grabs you and it's both of your last stock and it’s to determined the match, Bowser or Ganondorf are the Winner. I seen only Bowser having this and to me it's unfair that they both have those type of moves and only Bowser gets it. It's not like there are many Bowser or Ganon players to begin with.

CHARACTERS BANNED:

METAKNIGHT!!!!!

*Places handcuffs on Metaknight*

*Opens the gate for locked away characters*

If there are players that report to me a tactic that is banned that has been done to them. And the match is done just record the match and who me the match over.

Go to the link below discuss further about the rules and who will be attending this so i can put you into a bracket b4 you even come. And so I know about how many people are coming : http://smashguardians.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=41&func=view&catid=8&id=12#12

Also people let me know who can bring in wiis with copies of smash in it

so far we have:

TVS:
Playntrade(5 CRT) NO LAG TVS!!!!
Playntrade(2lcd's) component cables needed that i will buy before the event
Wes (1) REGULAR TV NO LAG!!

Wiis with copy of smash:
Wes (2)
Stratarazor (1)
Jayoyeah (1)
Bluchu (1)
Playntrade (1)

BIG UPDATE:

After seeing what happened last time a brawl tournament was held at Playntrade. And how 170 people entered singles and like 40 plus teams. I decided that the 1st biweekly back should be a Singles only tournament since I think a lot of people may show up to this. That way if we get 100 plus for singles it will finish in time instead of doing both teams and singles and not having enough time to do both events. This is so i can see how to gauge these events for the future at Playntrade.

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
That may have been the most ridiculous rule set I have ever read.... Next stop gamestop tournaments! Random characters, items on, and final match on Mushroomy Kingdom 1.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
First, that's the single worst set of rules I've ever seen. The fact that something so scrubby can possibly exist hurts.

Second, I still need a ride to and from Chicago.

Third...
FALCON DITTO MONEY MATCHES!!!

Let's start a list boys; who's game?!?

chansen

Smash Lord
if anything, this 5th ganon fellow has to worry about losing to hunger. No matter where, when, how or what char. Based on his dialect and severe case of *********** I'd say that's the only thing he has to worry about, and for that matter, the only thing anyone has to worry about.

real life threats are the best kind of threats. the ones that actually induce fear.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Dont blame ganon the fifth for being scrubby and overall dumb, he mains falcon, he needs all the help he can get.

And he forgot about warioware, that stage is awesome
lol@ citing sources
You're saying threats of being modded don't induce fear? =D
sorry, but hunger scares me more, so does chansen

i mean i bet you're cool and all

but hunger could come out of nowhere because i dont know what he looks like and get me or chansen could empire mob me and i'd probably get gangraped

so yeah gangrape/stabbed>infraction

lol jk

internet is real life, ban would suck more:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
First, that's the single worst set of rules I've ever seen. The fact that something so scrubby can possibly exist hurts.

Second, I still need a ride to and from Chicago.

Third...
FALCON DITTO MONEY MATCHES!!!

Let's start a list boys; who's game?!?
ill mm anybody in melee falcon dittos

Lokeloki

Smash Apprentice
i wasn't being sarcastic :(
seriously, i really thought you were. Those rules are ********, with the exceptions of basic stuff like no stalling and no infinates. No banana locks, lol, no one would play diddy, and his full banana lock from one side of FD to the other is like maybe 20%

edit: on a side note, melee is a really balanced game too, if you ban wave dashing, L-canceling, moonwalking, float canceling... ect. Oh, and marth. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom