• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"FD Only" in Amateur Brackets

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
(Before I start, if there is any thread that has this topic, then please just lock this thread and let it die. Im saying this because not only do I get really anxious with any interaction on this board, but I honestly dont want to look like a fool in front of members.)

I dont know how popular Amateur Brackets are, but ABs are basically another Losers Bracket (but seperate from winners) for all players who didnt make it out of pools. They are completely optional though. These brackets are paid at very low prices, so any player can get a "last chance" to redeem themselves and earn some money in the end. Its useful for those who try to earn money from Smash or just to gain back glory by winning or doing well in a bracket. Most ABs use only FD/Omegas.

But thats the biggest problem with certain Amateur Brackets. They are paid AND use only FD. A player is literally putting their money on an uncompetitive bracket. "Some rules are meant to be broken." is a bold quote but it really applies in this scenario. WHY do some TOs believe ABs should be set like this? From what ive experienced, its to prevent time constraints on a tournament schedule so it can run as smoothly as possible. Honestly though, is stage picking going to slow down a tournament THAT much? Anyway, the biggest reason this is bad is because some characters already have a heavy advantage throughout the entire braket, while most are at a huge disadvantage. It makes it less fair, but more importantly, less competitive. The TO basically removed mobility and approach options on a overwhelmig chunk on the cast...

Give players the freedom of choosing all starters/counterpicks instead of just limiting it to FD. Nobody should be forced to pay for entering an uncompetitive bracket. If it cant be fixed, then work around it or just flat-out remove it.

Top Bottom