• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Few quick Olly Latch Tips!! With Video!

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIlHrU4m1c

The basic idea here is that pikmin latch does not wake up sleeping opponents - that being jigglypuff during sleep or a broken shield.

Pikmin latch does attach to kirby in rock form but doesn't do damage until he comes out of the form.

Discuss - I found a few more glitches during this process and I expect those up this or next week.

P.S. - these are very situational...keep that in mind...discuss.

Redemption

Smash Cadet
Yeah good find. Even though olimar is normally to be avoided in team battles, having a teammate use jiggs or peach's final smash would benefit greatly, especially if you can have whites ready

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I knew about the Kirby thing and I abuse that so much whenever I get the chance. I mean srsly, every time they do the rock I say to myself "Cool free dmg" as I hurl four pikmin at his/her face. And even if they get them off right after, thats a free secound and a half I have to set up for a smash or recover from vigorously dodging the rock.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, although I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to break his shield in competitive matches. :)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Thanks, although I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to break his shield in competitive matches. :)
surprisingly..i've seen it happen quite a few times at big tourneys...the stress gets to you - also - marth's shield breaker in doubles happen almost every set at least once...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought marth's shieldbreaker actually broke your shield dealing you damage and no paralysis. :p At least this is what happens to me anyways. maybe there's a shield maximum where the shieldbreaker will break the shield and give no damage, but instead, setting you up for a maxed smash or somethin. who knows. obviously i don't...

shanus

Smash Hero
latching onto shields is really good to wear down the shield. Most players, even a lot of good ones, don't aim/tilt their shields well. On big characters such as ROB, wearing down their shield to expose part of their body is overall REALLY beneficial to use on them to successfully approach and not eat shield dsmash or many other ROB related rapemoves.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I thought marth's shieldbreaker actually broke your shield dealing you damage and no paralysis. :p At least this is what happens to me anyways. maybe there's a shield maximum where the shieldbreaker will break the shield and give no damage, but instead, setting you up for a maxed smash or somethin. who knows. obviously i don't...
If it hits the shield - it breaks the shield - just like any other way to break the shield - your question was a big ambiguous but I tried to answer what it seemed to being asked. From what I understand - it does damage if it hits body, it breaks shield if it hits shield.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
latching onto shields is really good to wear down the shield. Most players, even a lot of good ones, don't aim/tilt their shields well. On big characters such as ROB, wearing down their shield to expose part of their body is overall REALLY beneficial to use on them to successfully approach and not eat shield dsmash or many other ROB related rapemoves.
exactly correct! if you DO have someone who aims shield - olly has moves that go all over the body as well, I use fair for head/upper body and dtilt for lower body if i'm aiming attacks -

Very important note - where you latch also depends on how easily pikmin can be gotten off - trust me, latch a marth in the foot...it will stay there for a while :D

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
exactly correct! if you DO have someone who aims shield - olly has moves that go all over the body as well, I use fair for head/upper body and dtilt for lower body if i'm aiming attacks -

Very important note - where you latch also depends on how easily pikmin can be gotten off - trust me, latch a marth in the foot...it will stay there for a while :D
I didn't know that latch area actually helped keep the Pikmin on. I thought if the person attacked the pikmin would automatically get hit/die. Huh, learn something new everyday. Thanks for that.

And I need to work on my shield aiming, cause I do casually play other characters then the tiny, mighty Olimar. Anyone know where I can find that?

shanus

Smash Hero
I didn't know that latch area actually helped keep the Pikmin on. I thought if the person attacked the pikmin would automatically get hit/die. Huh, learn something new everyday. Thanks for that.

And I need to work on my shield aiming, cause I do casually play other characters then the tiny, mighty Olimar. Anyone know where I can find that?
I don't think there is much to find on it. Just when your shielding lightly press the direction you wish to aim your shield. Anything too sudden might result in a sidestep or a jump (if you leave tapjump on). The hardest part isnt the aiming, its remembering to do it ;-)

Top Bottom