• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Few things about wavedashing

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Two questions about wavedashing:

1) I heard there was a 'wavedashinging list'. It's a list of all the characters from hardest - easiest on the difficulty of wavedashing. I'd be really interested in this.

2) In this video, the person says "almost" every character can wavedash and that "most" characters can waveland. I thought every character could wavedash/waveland?

Thankyou all. :)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
1: I haven't seen that, but it'd be subjective anyways. If you're having trouble wavedashing, just spend like 10 minutes-an hour in training mindlessly practicing it, and you'll have it down.

2) All characters can wavedash/waveland. But some characters have better wavedashes/wavelands than others (ICs and Luigi have very good wavedashes).

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I have one more question about wavedashing.

3) Is it easier to wavedash with the springs removed from the L/R buttons?

EDIT: Thankyou, Sign of Madness! :)

I was first told there's a wavedashing list in the Link boards. Well, technically I wasn't told. I was reading a stickied guide on there, and it mentioned Link was placed 24th on the wavedashing list, as to which it subsequently mentioned what the wavedashing list was.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i wouldn't say that you could compare difficulty on wavedashes, but the speed, yes
some people might think it's easier for bowser while others would think it's fox

all chars can wavedash and wavelanding is just wavedashing from a different start point

i haven't removed the springs from my controller, so i couldn't answer that.. but they are so worn out it wouldn't make a difference for me. i'd say it could be.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
That might make it difficult to lightshield in the future.

Just wear it out and you'll be fine.

And it may be tourney illegal to do that.

To me, I find Samus so easy to WD with.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
That'd make lag canceling a pain, too, 'cause it's only registered once you release the trigger. p=

Seriously, though, springs out? That's crazy talk, my man. lol

Stev

Smash Ace
That'd make lag canceling a pain, too, 'cause it's only registered once you release the trigger. p=

Seriously, though, springs out? That's crazy talk, my man. lol
L-canceling has nothing to do with when you release it. In fact, the only thing in this game that has to do when you release a button is short hopping and RELEASING you shielding. If anything it would make it faster because there is no resistance in your triggers for L-canceling, thus making it "easier." You only have to push down L or R for L-canceling to the point where you would light shield. However, It's not recommended because, as mentioned before, light shielding becomes difficult to actually use since you don't want to push the button down all the way.

X1-12

Smash Champion
its subjective how easy it its to do with a character but there is a list of how far each character can go in one wavedash, its on M2K's page of statistics

---Note, characters that take a while to jump into the air, like Bowser for instance, won't be able to start their wavedash as quickly as fast jumpers, like Sheik and Fox. Fox can start his on frame 4 at earliest (press the buttons needed to do a Wavedash on frame 3 and then it'll effect the next frame of the move, which is frame 4, so then you'll appear to just slide across the ground a short distance without really being in air), while it takes Bowser until, at soonest, frame 9 to start his wavedash. HOWEVER, this wavedash list ONLY measures HOW FAR THE CHARACTERS SLIDE in a wavedash, and THAT'S ALL.

1) Luigi
2) Ice Climbers
3) Mewtwo
4) Marth
5) Yoshi
6) Roy
7-9) Dr. Mario / Mario / Mr. Game & Watch
10) Samus
11) Ness
12) Fox
13) Bowser
14) Falco
15) Young Link
16) Ganondorf
17) DK
18-19) Pikachu / Sheik
20-21) Captain Falcon / Kirby
22) Pichu
23) Jigglypuff
24) Link
25-26) Peach / Zelda

Paix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks all! :)
Especially for m2k's wavedashing list, it's pretty interesting.

I can wavedash, just not very consistently yet. I mean, I don't take my finger off the R button fastenough and usually end up holding it so the shield pops up. I can't get around it yet for some reason, despite the practice I've put into it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fox has one of the best wavedashes despite being mid-sized in distance covered because it only takes him 14 frames to perform a wavedash, while it takes Bowser like 20.

Anyway, it's muscle memory. You'll get it down to second nature over time. I don't have to think when I wavedash.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching some videos of Mango and Hungrybox's Jiggs...

I was wondering. Do they ever actually wavedash? I don't think I've seen them do it once (besides inbetween the time that their opponent is respawning to look flashy :p). I mean, they're in the air 90% of the time and Jiggs' wavedash is very short, so do they ever actually do it? I'm sure they rarely waveland into a dash attack or something, but I've not seen it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Its not really that useful as Jiggs. WDing is a ground movement tool, and because Jigg's game is so air-based - she rarely needs to do it. Her air mobility is so good staying on the ground usually feels like a bad thing imo.

I'm sure they do, just not as much as other players. That or you probably missed seeing it when they did it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
does anybody know if wavelanding length is proportional to wavedashing length? i main ganon, and i know that wavelanding is really the most useful movement tactic, and can generally cover a larger distance than his wavedash.

also, isn't this list basically just a sort of friction tier list? i always considered luigi and ice climbers to have really low friction, not only in wavedashing, but it also took effect when you would crouch cancel attacks, and they would still slide.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
It is proportional

and I love Ganon's waveland

and friction is directly related to wavedash length, so I'd imagine it possibly being a friction tier list as well

and there are certain MU's where Jiggs can use grounded spacing just as effectively as zoning through the air, which calls for wavedashing, but those instances aren't as prevalent

and this is a really long run-on sentence.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
That might make it difficult to lightshield in the future.

Just wear it out and you'll be fine.

And it may be tourney illegal to do that.

To me, I find Samus so easy to WD with.
I find samus easier to wavedash with than fox, even though they're both the same timing. haha

Top Bottom