• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

M@v

Subarashii!
Marth is a hard as hell matchup. Probably fox's hardest matchup that doesn't involve stupid cgs or locks.

Run away and laser whenever your not next to him. The only move you have that can somewhat compete with his range is bair. Other then that, all you can really do is read his mistakes and be ready to punish them (I.E when he whiffs slower moves you can punish, etc.)

Also he can upb out of a lot of your strings and combos so watch it. He has a cg from 0 to about 40 on you(4 grabs from 0 to guaranteed tipper fsmash or dair offstage). If you get cg spiked, rising fair first, then firefox. You have no chance of making it back if you firefox out of reaction.

P.S. DONT EVER, EVER TRY TO SHINE SPIKE HIM/GIMP HIM OFFSTAGE. You will eat an upb and get stage spiked every time.

Kuares

Pizza
You're going to need more than a bold statement to change people's opinions of Fox's validity. Why not go out and prove it already? We haven't even seen your awesome technique yet.

Stop posting one liners or I'll start dealing out infractions.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yeah I imagine once Smash 4 is out these boards will be MUCH livelier, I won't be surprised if Brawl is dropped completely by most.
I doubt it honestly. Believe it or not....a lot of people actually enjoy playing the game even with all the stupid crap in it.

Also depends on if Smash 4 is a good game for tournament play or not. They already dumbed down Brawl and didn't intend for it to be played in a tournament setting so what do oyou think they're going to do with the next game?

M@v

Subarashii!
I doubt it honestly. Believe it or not....a lot of people actually enjoy playing the game even with all the stupid crap in it.

Also depends on if Smash 4 is a good game for tournament play or not. They already dumbed down Brawl and didn't intend for it to be played in a tournament setting so what do oyou think they're going to do with the next game?
Brawl also didn't have namco-bandai, who makes competitive fighters, as its main developer. I just hope smash 4 doesn't turn into one hit to juggling across the stage.

#tekken6callouts

Kuares

Pizza
With the Namco-bandai part of the deal, hopefully they'll fix those three things that everyone complained about; Release date delays ,Character balancing(not sure I like the idea of patching), and Online play. I don't see how much more they can mess up, but smash 4's release date is too far to think about anyways.

I'd rather see what a mess the playstation allstars game will be. Seeing as it has alot of the things people wanted from smash(3rd parties, Competetive Developers, vague idea of a story mode) but only some of the things that make smash Smash. It'll be interesting to see how it goes down.

Steam

Smash Hero
I was screwing around with fox and I think I ftilt locked falco... in a similar way to a jab cancel lol...

you guys know about this?

Jet300

Smash Ace
I was screwing around with fox and I think I ftilt locked falco... in a similar way to a jab cancel lol...

you guys know about this?
Fox Ftilt lock is very easy to escape and I've only done this to a link main and he just DI'ed away from me. All characters who has a jab lock can be DI'ed away from (and link but he can still reach you). Pretty much, fox Ftilt lock is very hard to set up and easy to DI out of it.

Its very hard to set this up. And yeah, we already know about this. Thanks for sharing btw

D

Deleted member 189823

Hey fox67890, I've been working on those approaches you've recommended me. They're working pretty smoothly. :)

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
what are all the available options to get off the ledge with fox?
I was actually in the process of making a video relating to ledge options. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOzgRZwrwQ
It mostly covers basic stuff.

"Just a quick video I made showing Fox's ledge options. The majority of it is basic stuff though. Made this to help newer foxes and somewhat to answer a question.

*I generally ignored RCO lag in explaining these, but it does make a difference in a lot of them*

Personal thoughts:
*Bair from the ledge is... mediocre. It's not too reliable. Maybe it works really well without RCO lag
*I reaaaaally like ledge jump+shine. It's very underused and pretty good. Too bad it can't be buffered :x
*If the opponent is a distance from the ledge, lasers are actually pretty good. You can hit an opponent with potentially three of them (depends on height) while coming onstage. Bad things happen if you use this variant on "bad" ledges like FD, PS1
*Illusion to platform actually works pretty well. Maybe that's because I do too much wifi?
*The platform cancel technique I showed on SV is amazing and isn't hard to do at all. I highly recommend it
*If you don't have RCO on the ledge (on BF), the last technique I showed is also pretty good."

is shine useful at all for recovery or does that risk getting gimped?
It's good. It could, for instance, throw off the timing of an opponent trying to intercept illusion. Just mix it up.

Obby
<3

Hey fox67890, I've been working on those approaches you've recommended me. They're working pretty smoothly. :)
[COLLAPSE="response"]That's Great! If you ever get a new video up, let me know~
I never answered this...
"Anything you can tell me on the use of N-Air? Should I use it as an approach too? And what about the SH Silent Laser?"

If you're in the air above your opponent and you want to land with an aerial, using non fast-falled soft nair while drifting away once in awhile is pretty good because most characters can't shield grab it if you do that (you hit their shield, but drift out of grab range). Actually, soft nair from above beats nado and Olimar upsmash/upair if you fast fall it. If you want to attack your opponent while landing with an aerial, but need more range than dair, than nair isn't to bad

Against certain characters, short hopping into them and that landing with a hard nair works if the opponents options are mostly grounded (like against Olimar, where you could short hop over smashes/grab). Landing with nair on the back of an opponent's shield is also good. Using turn around grab after you do so is good because most expect you to uptilt immediately.

Hard and soft nair both have true combos from them btw at certain percents (they're listing in Uzi's stickied thread).

Don't approach with nair though lol. It's a somewhat situational move, but is actually pretty good...if that makes sense.

SH silent laser... is great when you are right outside the opponents burst range. You should always try to get a silent laser or a laser very close to one(fired close to the ground in other words) when doing this. SHTL/SHDL should be used when retreating with lasers or far away.
If you're a bit unsure about lasering in general (when to do it, which laser tech to use, etc) I recommend you watch recent videos of a Fox main name Yui from Japan. Yui uses SH single/silent lasers verrrry well.
This is a good place to start...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4L3qvqrEOE&list=LL7aPwiX0Sp_a4qF_ahWK_4Q&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/COLLAPSE]

@Iblis: It's at Comic Con

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Damn it, I went to Dragon Con instead and I saw some (and got with) fine ladies but damn I didn't see anything like her.

I need to hit up Comic Con next time around.

D

Deleted member 189823

[COLLAPSE="response"]That's Great! If you ever get a new video up, let me know~
I never answered this...
"Anything you can tell me on the use of N-Air? Should I use it as an approach too? And what about the SH Silent Laser?"

If you're in the air above your opponent and you want to land with an aerial, using non fast-falled soft nair while drifting away once in awhile is pretty good because most characters can't shield grab it if you do that (you hit their shield, but drift out of grab range). Actually, soft nair from above beats nado and Olimar upsmash/upair if you fast fall it. If you want to attack your opponent while landing with an aerial, but need more range than dair, than nair isn't to bad

Against certain characters, short hopping into them and that landing with a hard nair works if the opponents options are mostly grounded (like against Olimar, where you could short hop over smashes/grab). Landing with nair on the back of an opponent's shield is also good. Using turn around grab after you do so is good because most expect you to uptilt immediately.

Hard and soft nair both have true combos from them btw at certain percents (they're listing in Uzi's stickied thread).

Don't approach with nair though lol. It's a somewhat situational move, but is actually pretty good...if that makes sense.

SH silent laser... is great when you are right outside the opponents burst range. You should always try to get a silent laser or a laser very close to one(fired close to the ground in other words) when doing this. SHTL/SHDL should be used when retreating with lasers or far away.
If you're a bit unsure about lasering in general (when to do it, which laser tech to use, etc) I recommend you watch recent videos of a Fox main name Yui from Japan. Yui uses SH single/silent lasers verrrry well.
This is a good place to start...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4L3qvqrEOE&list=LL7aPwiX0Sp_a4qF_ahWK_4Q&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/COLLAPSE]
How very thoughtful of you to answer my questions here.
Oh, and I had a Brawl night two nights ago were I used Fox the most out of my characters...I've been a little too clumsy with him reguarding tech skill that night...but it didn't go TOO bad, I've had my share of reedeming matches. I saved one which I'm later going to have a friend upload. It went well.
Thank you for the tips reguarding N-Air. It does indeed help reguarding my landings because there were a few instances were I've been punished using D-Air...although baiting Peach's U-Smash to later punish it and maybe combo to an U-Smash yourself may work.
I have only learned SHDL so far...SHSL's timing seems strict, it looks hard- But I guess it's not something I can't learn. SHTL...I'll get a work on that. As a user of Tap Jump, getting down the muscle memory to softly tap the Y button may take a while.
And at last, thanks for showing me those set of videos of Yui. I've already known Yui before even playing Fox seriously. He's really good and fun to watch.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice

I come to the Fox boards for the first time, and see this.... (I might stick around for a bit)

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been going through a LOT of characters, trying to decide on my main. It's been quite stressful, because I've been playing the game for awhile, (long enough to have a main picked out) however, once I played with Fox, AND saw Trump's performance at Waba, I'm feeling pretty good about Fox.

Not only is he good, but he's also fun to play. (And hype)

So yeah. Hey everyone!

Ruinn

Smash Ace
can someone tell me the advantages of shtl over shdl?

its extremely hard for me to mash 3 b's in that amount of time so i refrain to 2, but if its really a huge difference i can make the switch

Jet300

Smash Ace
SHTL hits all of olimars pikmin and all of the laser hits bowser d3 and Ganon. SHDL takes timing to do. And if you time wrong, the laser will either go over your enemy head or fox show his put up gun animation.

I don't know about the second part when you said, "but if its really a huge difference i can make the switch". SHTL refreshes foxs move faster.

Top Bottom