• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting CPUs.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
First off let me tell you I am really good at Smash, with a good controller(Gamecube) I am extremly good.
I can completely destroy everyone in my school and have not found one person to beat me withing the state so far.

The thing is when I set the CPU to 9,and I fight it, it obliderates me, I have no idea why, everything I can do to humans it totaly trashed by the CPU.

It is becuse the CPU has inhuman reflexes, becasue every time I set a a good 'combo' It seems to backdoge perfect shield, roll and grab its way out of my attacks....

I don't know, any tips?

And once again, I'm good at this game, and Human players are lees of a challenge then these CPUs(I know pathetic) but If you can give some tips without flamming me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Judo.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
What state do you live in? Just curious.

And yeah, one of the reasons you mentioned is because the lvl 9 CPU has ridiculous reflexes and it messes up a lot of the combos you may try on it. I don't have much trouble three-stocking it nevertheless though....I guess if you rely solely on combos? I don't know...

Andromeda

Smash Lord
CPU's pwns. I saw a CPU match between Captain Falcon and Yoshi yesterday. Captain Falcon finished the match with a reversed Falcon Punch. How cool isn't that?

No, but honestly, as there are almost no absolute combos in Brawl, it means that the CPU have the ability to get out of all of them. All the time.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
You can't fight cpus the way that you fight other people for the same reason why fighting CPUs isn't good training for fighting real people. CPUs don't punish you for missed attacks, they attack on a set basis and therefore, combos play a much lesser role in killing them. They have the reflexes and lack the human error and thinking time necessary for some combos to work.

Vro

Smash Lord
You may have not yet found someone to beat you in your state, but believe me there will be.

In regards to your question about CPU's, it's not that important in order to defeat level 9s. If you're beating human players, you're doing fine. They don't have "inhuman" reflexes in regards to responding to attacks or power shielding everything. But yes, they are computers. So play them like computers. If you just want to beat them for the sake of beating them, exploit their poor AI, edgeguard them, repeat attacks.

Don't get hung over beating CPU's.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
You may have not yet found someone to beat you in your state, but believe me there will be.

In regards to your question about CPU's, it's not that important in order to defeat level 9s. If you're beating human players, you're doing fine. They don't have "inhuman" reflexes in regards to responding to attacks or power shielding everything. But yes, they are computers. So play them like computers. If you just want to beat them for the sake of beating them, exploit their poor AI, edgeguard them, repeat attacks.

Don't get hung over beating CPU's.
Pretty much this. In fact I found that after a certain point, fighting CPUs made me worse against humans. This is because once I had learned the new physics system and got proficient with dodging, rolling, shielding, and air dodging, there was no need for me to fight CPUs cause they're just programmed, they're not like humans, they made me worse against other humans.

So now I just train agaisnt other people instead. I can beat level 9s anyway, but I don't usually just to keepmy human skills up.

-Ran

Smash Master
Fighting humans is about respecting the ebb and flow of battle. Players alter how they act mid battle based on damage, moves that are being used, and the stage. The CPU does NOT, all it relies on is its inhuman reaction time, which makes it pointless to play against.

For fun, go in Training mode, and set the CPU to level 9. Pick Marth, and fight against Samus. Go onto Final Destination, and put the CPU on 'Run.' Observe the craziness. =X

Best101

Smash Ace
The level 9 Yoshi is ********. It runs around you and spams egg throw all the time. If you noticed by now the lvl 9 CPU always air-dodges after every attack you land on them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The level 1s do fight smarter than Melee's level 1s. And the level 9s are tougher to avoid since they now jump to try to smack you. Trying to beat them is one thing, but knowing how to dodge their ridiculous moves is another thing.

Kip

Smash Rookie
I've noticed that they bait, run, turn agro, and even some mixups based on your % and their %. If they are at high damage they usually bait, if low damage they rush. If you are at low the do quick attacks for damage, if at high % they start using more kill moves. To best them don't rush much. Think about low risk moves more than getting off a chain of moves. I focus more on getting 'in' instead of the kill against Computers.

Oh, and Brawl CPUs are much 'tougher' than Melee's.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
If u play against cpus a lot like me, u will see theres a pattern in their movements. I can pretty much 3-stock them w/o losing a life every time. I wont go into extreme detail, since its cpus were talkin about. But for example, every time u are about to land right on top of them, they will do an upsmash. Simply airdodge and counter... not hard.

Nowadays i play agaisnt two lvl 9 cpus just to test my reflexes.

Trust me... humans are wayyy harder than lvl 9 cpus. If u want to get good at this game... dont play cpus. I only do it when im waiting for a match in SWFF, which seems to take forever.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
maybe you havent found actual competition... oh well, i consider myself ok at brawl, am iether 1st or 2nd best on my school, im the one that has pulled the craziest combos around (ill post them as soon as i organize them) but well, you seemed to be like me a month ago... on melee i was almost pro (best on my school on melee), i could 5 stock easily lvl 9s, now on brawl, as i started, lvl 9s could beat me some games, i couldnt pull combos on them, but i realized what was missing... shielding, shielding on brawl is th essential element of fighting, to pull a combo requires skill now because of the defending system, overal, the best defending will be the best, so, the lvl 9 has perfect frame timings on defending, but offense is its lack, so, when you start defending better and defining oyur moves oyull start beating them... i easily 3 stock lev 9s nowdays

Crystanium

Smash Hero
First off let me tell you I am really good at Smash, with a good controller(Gamecube) I am extremly good.
I can completely destroy everyone in my school and have not found one person to beat me withing the state so far.

The thing is when I set the CPU to 9,and I fight it, it obliderates me, I have no idea why, everything I can do to humans it totaly trashed by the CPU.

It is becuse the CPU has inhuman reflexes, becasue every time I set a a good 'combo' It seems to backdoge perfect shield, roll and grab its way out of my attacks....

I don't know, any tips?

And once again, I'm good at this game, and Human players are lees of a challenge then these CPUs(I know pathetic) but If you can give some tips without flamming me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Judo.
If level 9 CPUs are defeating you, perhaps you should learn to pick up on their way of dodging, evading, blocking, and attacking. Do you know what this is called? It's called "analyzing." Some can pick up these things quicker than others. The same applies for human beings. The difference between human beings and computers is that humans can think of other methods, while the computers are predetermined in their programming. Don't be surprised if CPUs spam their attacks, also. It's the bane of skilled gamers.

Personally, I think fighting a level 5-7 CPU is better, because they act more human. Fighting higher level CPUs doesn't mean that you'll get better. You can become worse, since you'll likely end up spamming.

jigglypuff_monarchy

Smash Rookie
i hate CPUs. they know what attacks i'm going to use before they're even executed. so naturally they have an unfair advantage. but unfortunately, i'm sorta stuck with the level 9s since i don't know a whole lot of people who can play this game decently.

but seriously, being able to stomp level 9s doesn't guarantee that you'll be effective at all against a human opponent. since people aren't as capable of telegraphing moves, they'll resort to other techniques that you won't see CPUs do.

shal

Smash Apprentice
yeah for some reason they dont think like humans as if u were expected to fight us. also ummm where do u live? lol

Top Bottom