• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Attack, Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the idea of the final attack. It REALLY makes it seems to much like those other fighting games where you just mash buttons. And I know that ssb and ssbm were so much more than that. Am i the only one with these worries?

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Now, I'm a far cry from a pro or anything reseambling one. ATs are outta my league after all. (plz don't call me a n00b tho), but they seem to be balanced somewhat. Mario and Link's can only be used when they're facing the opponent, Fox has limited movement (I think?) and you can stand on the tank. Its diffucult to control Pikachu and Sonic, etc. No broken that I can see.
I fail to see how this will make it anything like a button masher as well. It just doesn't seem like one.

Razed

Smash Ace
They're awesome. If you don't like them, however, you can just turn them off.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Smash also has stages like other fighting games that have stages, but that doesn't make it another button masher. I think your stressing over such a small issue. They aren't dreadfully powerful attacks that no one can dodge (well amybe peach's) and in theory they can be removed from basic gameplay. So there really is no problem here. Now if the issue is about how often they appear on screen, then maybe I can see you argument, but still even that is subject to change in development and even if that doesn't happen items can be manually lowered to convenience of play.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya i like the Final Smashes but i\'m sure at some point i\'ll turn them off to have less of a tide turner in mid match.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Smash also has stages like other fighting games that have stages, but that doesn't make it another button masher. I think your stressing over such a small issue. They aren't dreadfully powerful attacks that no one can dodge (well amybe peach's) and in theory they can be removed from basic gameplay. So there really is no problem here. Now if the issue is about how often they appear on screen, then maybe I can see you argument, but still even that is subject to change in development and even if that doesn't happen items can be manually lowered to convenience of play.
I remember hearing that each character could only use a smash ball once per match so I don't think it would matter how often they appear since you could only use it once.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Once the other fighting games out there use simple 2-D movement, make jumping helpful, put items in, use percentage based combat, involve skill, make their games less bloody, are less about pressing random buttons, and suck less, they will be just like Super Smash Bros. Final Smashes are not going to make the game like other fighters. So until that day comes, yes, you are the only one with these worries.

Darqion

Smash Cadet
I do like it how you portay "other" fighting games as button smashers. I do invite you to come play a fighting game i play here, and button smash. Try and win :p

Some games might invite button smashing, or rotating moves(smash bros included) But in no way will an advanced player have any problems countering it

Kryptonite X

Smash Cadet
Once the other fighting games out there use simple 2-D movement, make jumping helpful, put items in, use percentage based combat, involve skill, make their games less bloody, are less about pressing random buttons, and suck less, they will be just like Super Smash Bros. Final Smashes are not going to make the game like other fighters. So until that day comes, yes, you are the only one with these worries.

This is probably the most ignorant post I've seen here in a while. Just because other fighting games are more difficult due to the long move lists doesn't make them button mashers.

And since when does smash take more skill than a game like third strike?

SmirkySmirker

Smash Rookie
I woud like the idea of the Final Smash and the Smash Ball if it was balanced and there was only one allowed per character, and it was amazingly rare for one to show up, like a 1 in 10 chance every minute or something. I assume that some smashes will be really good (Peach) and some will be really bad. If they balanced it however so that all characters had equally as powerful smashes I suppose it would be better.

But for people who like balanced gameplay I don't think it's looking very good for the smash ball at this point.

Kryptonite X

Smash Cadet
I woud like the idea of the Final Smash and the Smash Ball if it was balanced and there was only one allowed per character, and it was amazingly rare for one to show up, like a 1 in 10 chance every minute or something. I assume that some smashes will be really good (Peach) and some will be really bad. If they balanced it however so that all characters had equally as powerful smashes I suppose it would be better.

But for people who like balanced gameplay I don't think it's looking very good for the smash ball at this point.

I disagree. Final Smashes seem pretty balanced for 1v1 play as long assuming they are the only active item and spawn at a reasonable rate(1 every 2-3 minutes or so).

1. The strongest ones can be dodged or avoided, the mass hit ones aren't that powerful in comparison to the single target ones. Damage at the cost of positioning.

2. You have to be planted on the ground to use it, and the opponent has to be in line of sight if it's a targetable one.

3. You can knock final smashes out of opponents, promotes more offensive playing.

4. Attacking the Smash Ball would be risky as you leave yourself open to try to get the ball, promotes some mind games.

Basically they are supers that you have to fight for. Granted, we haven't seen all of them yet, but items off, and FS at a low rate doesn't seem like it's entirely gamebreaking.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I disagree. Final Smashes seem pretty balanced for 1v1 play as long assuming they are the only active item and spawn at a reasonable rate(1 every 2-3 minutes or so).

1. The strongest ones can be dodged or avoided, the mass hit ones aren't that powerful in comparison to the single target ones. Damage at the cost of positioning.

2. You have to be planted on the ground to use it, and the opponent has to be in line of sight if it's a targetable one.

3. You can knock final smashes out of opponents, promotes more offensive playing.

4. Attacking the Smash Ball would be risky as you leave yourself open to try to get the ball, promotes some mind games.

Basically they are supers that you have to fight for. Granted, we haven't seen all of them yet, but items off, and FS at a low rate doesn't seem like it's entirely gamebreaking.

I agree with you 100%

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
The once per fight thing was said a long time ago, but as shown in a recent video, the same person can use them more than once in the same match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom