• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Destination: Workshop General social thread

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'd like to go to Japan, but there are advantages and disadvantages to that.

Advantages: I'd be able to understand majority of what they're saying, would know my way around already, know people who live in the regions of the country I would visit, delicious food, the other obvious stuff.

Disadvantages: I can speak and translate vocal Japanese but I can't read it for ****. I keep getting certain characters mixed up, and then sometimes I mix up things like katakana and kanji. I need to brush up on that...a lot.

But most relevantly...I'm black, I would stand out awkwardly. XD;

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Man. You forgot how ******** the culture in Disadvantages.

And that stereotypes are waaay more common in Japan. Being black in japan would be the most annoying thing. And I probably will experience that rofl.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
find some Smash DX/Bureiburu players to hang out with

i already told you if you're in popular tourist cities you'll be better off anyway

lern2readmulberrian :012:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Depends on how long you're in said city.

I'm in the navy. meaning that I could easily be there for 1-2 years. Living in a popular tourist city has its perks, but those perks are primarly for short term. not long term.

http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

After reading this whole article and gaining further incite into the culture of Japan. It more and more looks like the Japan is a place that you shouldnt wear your welcome with.

I'd rather be stationed somewhere less condensed if I had the chance, for the sake of avoiding a ****storm, NY-Clone city like Tokyo, or something.

¯\(°_o)/¯

VietGeek

Smash Hero
you know most of that article doesn't only apply to japan, but all of asia

sucks to be you to be so conflicted to going to the east

if you get stationed in japan the closest thing to NOT being that article that is a developed nation is Australia/New Zealand

have fun~

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If I was a weeaboo, this would be a dream come true. rofl.

It's not that I'm conflicted. I'm actually sorta excited, because I've been interested in the culture as a whole.

But I'm also fearful of my experience. Because for a while, i thought it'd be ****ing awesome, but as I learned more, that thought diminished slowly over time and I kinda grew a fear for the possible negatives of staying in Japan.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
maybe you should embrace it and wear a suit everyday too like hazama. you'll fit in like a semi-pro

also asians love uniforms (most standard fetish); doesn't surprise me at all that whole "wear some **** to show ur status in life" thing.

pro-tip: watch hokuto no ken

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man there nothing ever happening in this thread, it's like a big pile of nothingness and lameness.

*checks user post count for thread*
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 2,728

User Name Posts
GHNeko 532
knuxrouge 174
Arkaether 160
I_Am_Plum 138
VietGeek 118
goodoldganon 114
Mattnumbers 101
cookieM0Nster 79
Oh... I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Its weird, it won't show up on my namesearch results if you guys type it in red.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Its weird, it won't show up on my namesearch results if you guys type it in red.
Probably because of all the HTML code, if I write "[example]", the search will only turn up "example" (without brackets) and ignore any instance where there's other characters beside it.

Maybe red will work if I put spaces.

Glyph

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Honestly that article just seems like it stems from a guy not being able to find anyone critical or self-aware in Japan to converse his cultural epiphanies with.

There will always be dumb stereotypes and conformist people in any culture, along with implied social traditions. Same goes for generic creative endeavors.

Maybe America has spoiled us by slowly breaking social barriers and status, but its not that surprising that Japan never got past that.

Whatever man, JP workplace stories always sound the most ridiculous but other then that if you're just living there I don't see how it'd be any worse then here.

Does ArkAether still post here? That'd be mindblowing if so. Ghost lurkin if he reads. Even though hes on MSN right now...

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Probably because of all the HTML code, if I write "[example]", the search will only turn up "example" (without brackets) and ignore any instance where there's other characters beside it.

Maybe red will work if I put spaces.

Glyph
Okay now it works.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Does ArkAether still post here? That'd be mindblowing if so. Ghost lurkin if he reads. Even though hes on MSN right now...
no he's off being annoyingly elitist elsewhere

which is fine since i don't need more of my kind on trollboards anyway

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If you guys are trolls, then we're in good hands.

Why was 5ive banned exactly?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I thought it was only in effect for about a month. Well, I wouldn't know. Nobody pranks me anyway...

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
it's only for a month... though I thought I pranked you on 2/16? today is 3/6...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I just saw the 4.0 Tier List for Brawl.

Man, Sakurai made a garbage balanced game. He also hates the Zelda series. :(

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Nah, he just doesn't know how to represent Link in a fighting game. And when you think about it, no fighting game does. Bottom tier in Soul Caliber 2. Garbage in MUGEN. I get the feeling Sakurai has a serious appreciation for the series of low tier characters. Like Ness, Lucas, Link, Zelda, Toon Link (I'm not sure if he even knows what a Ganondorf is though).

If you want to say that Sakurai hates a series, then it has to be Metroid. At least Link in 64 was fun to play as, despite his two inch recovery.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The highest tier Link has been was in Melee. He was Low.

He's the only character that's been in all three games, and Low Tier in all three games. Link has been in the bottom two for two/three Smash games. :(

And as for Sakurai hating the Zelda Series: The bottom three characters in the new list are from Zelda. Only Sheik and Toon Link escape that.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Ganondorf isn't in bottom. Ganondorf isn't even in brawl. After twilight Princess, he went back to the desert to make up for the reason you don't see any other gerudos in there.

But seriously, the bottom 3 on the tier list makes me weep. However, I still said metroid over Zelda because at least that series gets some rep. Metroid gets rising lava and a grand total of one character.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
However, I still said metroid over Zelda because at least that series gets some rep. Metroid gets rising lava and a grand total of one character.
That's because that's all Metroid has ever been about. The only other choices were what? Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain?

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Speaking of reps, is anyone else wondering how the Mother series has more reps than both F-Zero and Metroid?

Mother series has 2 fighters, an assist trophy, 2 stages, and a boss.

F-zero has one fighter, an assist trophy, and 2 stages.

Metroid has one fighter, an assist trophy, and 2 stages.

Speaking of Mother, what led Sakurai to include Lucas, a character not known at all to the american audience, in this game? For that matter, what originally led him to including Marth and Roy in Melee?

Top Bottom