• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy XIII

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There really was a promo code that came with the first run of the game. You can use it to apply for the beta or/and use it to get an exclusive item, the Asuran Armguards. They only state that it's an extra for the PC version, so I don't know if it applies to the PS3.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad you bumped this thread for that.

Did anyone honestly expect DLC anyway?

kr3wman

Smash Master
Didn't the game director say before the game's release there wasn't going to be any DLC?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Didn't the game director say before the game's release there wasn't going to be any DLC?
On December 17, 2009, Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama wrote this on the game's official website: "The world of Final Fantasy XIII is starting from here on out." He then added if players held on to their copies of the game, "good things" were possibility on the horizon.

It seemed as though Toriyama was hinting at future downloadable content for the game.

In a recent interview with a Japanese game magazine, Toriyama apparently said, "We had plans for DLC, but those plans disappeared. Apologies!"
Taken from the above article.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm on Chapter 6, and I love this game despite how much I hated looking at it. It's linear, but it could be worse.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So why couldn't this have gone in FF general? Did you really have to bump a 4-month old thread for this?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Actually, Pluvia(Or Kr) bumped it, I just added that because I played it last night. =[

Edit: And a Sequel would be cool, if FF's past sequels were not so bad. X-2 was pretty bad, and a lot of the 7 Compilation was kinda weak too.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm really not sure that Square should really be working on FFXIII-2 when they could be...

a) Finishing FFversusXIII.
b) Fixing all the problems with FFXIV and generating interest in it outside of the core Square fanbase.
c) Starting development on FFXV or another AAA RPG title.

...especially since...

a) Despite high sales, neither of the past two main series FF titles were well recieved.
b) Square has been taking hundreds of years to develop their games lately.
c) The story of FFXIII is not the worst story in the series but it definitely isn't the best and it does not merit revisiting, especially since they'll inevitably screw up one of the characters (like Sazh becoming a rapper or Hope becoming Justin Beiber or something).

Oh, and the evil version of the main character of the original game is such a clever and original idea.

http://kotaku.com/5736409/final-fantasy-xiii-gets-a-second-chance-with-a-second-game
According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011.
1. PFFFFTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
2. It'll be delayed to early 2012 in Japan and Holiday 2012 in America, I'm calling it right now. Europe I have no idea, they may never get it for all I know.
3. This is a good idea because rushing games out has always worked for Square in the past. Just look at FFXIV.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Chances are that they're reusing the same engine from before. Combined that with an established protagonist(s) and mythos, a lot of the work's already taken care of.

Maybe that dark haired girl is a Satsui no Hado version of Lightning. We don't know anything about the plot, but I think
the crystal lesbians won't be crystal by the end.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Agreed. And Versus XIII is looking amazing, and they should be focusing on that before straying off to XIII-2. I had my doubts when Versus was first announced, but it looks much better than XIII.
b) Fixing all the problems with FFXIV and generating interest in it outside of the core Square fanbase.
Not like I care about XIV, but Square really screwed it up.
I wish they would move on and not worry about XIV, but they did spend too much time on the game, so I guess it's natural that they want to make it better to satisfy people.

They probably are already. I'm guessing the team that did XII is probably throwing around some ideas at least.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm actually still playing through this game. It's pretty boring at times, so I haven't played it for hours-long sessions like a bunch of other rpgs. It's definitely getting better, though.

Versus looks nice, and I can't wait to play it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I'm really not sure that Square should really be working on FFXIII-2 when they could be...

a) not the same team
b) not the same team
c) They probably already did.

So why couldn't this have gone in FF general? Did you really have to bump a 4-month old thread for this?
'cause it's a direct sequel to this game not a year old that's coming out this year.

Here's the trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiaNbDtF3Y

spoilers for the end of 13... cause it's the sequel duh

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Chances are that they're reusing the same engine from before. Combined that with an established protagonist(s) and mythos, a lot of the work's already taken care of.
Well yeah, obviously having an engine in place is a big help when making games, but the engine wasn't really the problem in FFXIII. What they really need is a more coherent storyline with a better villain, better level design, and sidequests at an earlier level.

Maybe that dark haired girl is a Satsui no Hado version of Lightning.
I actually almost called her "Shin Lightning" in my earlier post. Apparently it's a guy though. You can tell because...?

the crystal lesbians
http://nerfnow.com/comic/273

Not like I care about XIV, but Square really screwed it up.
I don't really care about XIV either, but it's sad to see an MMO with so many potentially good ideas fail so horribly because it doesn't have the basics down. Plus, a numbered Final Fantasy game should be much better than this. I mean ****, FFII wasn't THIS bad.

They probably are already. I'm guessing the team that did XII is probably throwing around some ideas at least.
If they did, they're not telling us and likely won't for a while. Which is actually a good thing since announcing a main series FF game 4 years before it comes out builds up a needless amount of hype and eventually leads to a large amount of disappointment in the fanbase. BUT WHEN HAS THAT EVER HAPPENED?

a) not the same team
Actually, yes it is. If Wikipedia is to be believed, they're both being done by Product Development Division 1.

b) not the same team
I realize that, but it kind of brings me to another point - Square as a company is incredibly bloated. As I'm writing this, Square has 11 teams total, including two for main series FF games, one for FF Crystal Chronicles, one for FF Online, one for Dragon Quest, one for the semi-defunct Mana series, four for random crap, and Eidos. I'm not an expert on business structure, but I'm pretty sure if you consolidated and combined them, you could only end up with 5 teams that you really need - One team for FF, one team for FF Online, one team for Dragon Quest, Eidos, and one team for other random crap (Kingdom Hearts, Mana series, Facebook games, cell phone games, random other games, etc.). By only having one team work on the FF series as a whole, they'd be better able to finish their biggest games in a timely manner instead of spending 8 years or more on each title. In fact, now that they own Eidos, they should just outsource all their shovelware to them so they can focus on real games.

I think that's a good idea, but that's just me.

c) They probably already did.
Already talked about that.

The trailer for FFXIII-2 looks nice. Lightning looks like a badass from the waist up, but the half-skirt of feathers is giving me a Gunner Yuna vibe. At least she's not singing...yet...

kr3wman

Smash Master
Actually, yes it is. If Wikipedia is to be believed, they're both being done by Product Development Division 1.
No they aren't. Versus is made by the Kingdom Hearts team. While they did assist that team some times, they were not the same team.

I realize that, but it kind of brings me to another point - Square as a company is incredibly bloated.
Isn't Capcom too? I remember that recent interview with Inafune, where he says that the 300 Capcom JP employees work on only like 3-5 games at a time or something.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No they aren't. Versus is made by the Kingdom Hearts team. While they did assist that team some times, they were not the same team.
Wiki on FFversusXIII said:
Developer(s) Square Enix PDD 1
Wiki on FFXIII-2 said:
Developer(s) Square Enix PDD 1
Isn't Capcom too? I remember that recent interview with Inafune, where he says that the 300 Capcom JP employees work on only like 3-5 games at a time or something.
I believe Square works on a lot more titles than that a year.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I believe Square works on a lot more titles than that a year.
No, I meant both the fact you mentioned that their studios are bloated, since the mentality isn't the same in Japan, where it's a secure job and in america it's 'you make a bad game, you're fired lulz'

And it's still 2 different teams. teams !=studio. Don't you remember when people thought, because of a mistranslated Famitsu interview that Versus's development was halted to finish XIII's?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ff-versus-xiii-reports-are-false

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm, I'm a bit confused on why they are making a 13-2. Were sales that great for 13 to make a part two? If anything, I heard more criticism on this game, then any other FF in a long while. Is there even a story to add on? At least FFX had that whole, Tidus might be alive thing.

But in any case, my honest reaction to the announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX1NtxkqcE#t=1m25s

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hm, I'm a bit confused on why they are making a 13-2. Were sales that great for 13 to make a part two? If anything, I heard more criticism on this game, then any other FF in a long while. Is there even a story to add on? At least FFX had that whole, Tidus might be alive thing.

Spoilers for Post!XIII stuff here.

Lightning went off alone to find a way to rescue Vanille and Fang from their crystal stasis. Saving them could be a driving force behind this game. We'll see what happens.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Ah... Fresh Prince. I love that show. lol

XIII wasn't the most successful out of the series, but the company had put in a lot of work into making XIII so they might as well use all the material they made for another game. And even if XIII-2 ends up being bad, it's not like it's going to ruin XIII's reputation. It didn't exactly make a huge name for itself.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
By continuing with Minato said it might end up at least making it a little better.

Oh god please don't be another FFX-2 though.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Kuraudo;1201323[SPOILER said:
Lightning went off alone to find a way to rescue Vanille and Fang from their crystal stasis. Saving them could be a driving force behind this game. We'll see what happens.[/SPOILER]
Hopefully, that'll be a good way to continue the story.

Anyway I finnally finished FF-XIII. The whole ending almost made no sense, but I enjoyed it and this game was worth the 34 quid, which is more than I can say for most games.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Ugh. I'm still playing through this game, and I'm almost done with chapter 8. It's still a complete drag at times, but it seems like its going to get better soon.

I just keep playing it a little every now and then because I can't sit there and play it for hours like most other games. Moving in a straight line and pressing X gets pretty boring after more than a couple of hours.

However, I can definitely see why they're making a sequel. The universe surrounding the original has a ton of potential, but they wasted most of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving them one more chance to do this game justice.

Top Bottom