• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally: Is Brawl that boring?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You'll like Brawl, I still do. Dont get down in the dumps, buy it, play it, if you like it, keep playing, if you dont, dont play it.

There ya go :)

And dont main Snake...everybodys doing it...

Zodiac

Smash Master
Hey guys,

The 27th of June it's coming. Yep, that's when Brawl finally comes out here in poor poor Europe. Now, I've seen all the useless debates on which is better, but really, all this is just having me a little worried: Will I get bored in 2 days as many people say?

I really just want to forget all the advanced techniques that I had to learn in Melee. Sure, for some of you were wonderful, but for me, they were only something that bothered me and had to be used when playing competitively with my Marth if I really wanted to win (pressing L after every aerial until you finally did it unconciously sucked).

Having said that, and knowing that I loved Smash 64 and his more slow paced combat, and mindgames, what do you think I'll do with Brawl? Love it or spit in it?
Dude, I will be honest, I knew a very good smasher who went even with me and beat me in just about every link ditto, he did not l-cancel, and he almost never wavedashed. But he was a competitive smasher. You DO NOT NEED advanced techniques to be a competitive smasher,

however as far as brawl is concerned.

I really enjoyed this match-http://youtube.com/watch?v=QxAAmHmpKNU

It fun, intense and kept me light on my fingers the whole time

But this match, was more so, so much more so- http://youtube.com/watch?v=yB7DDB2gBoo

It kept my fingers darting across the controller sometimes so fast that I didnt conscientiously register that I did it until afterwards.

yes you will have fun with brawl, especially if you dont care about advance techs, just remember you dont have to learn all teh trix, to be a competitive player

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I very much prefer Brawl over Melee. Now that I've played Brawl, I can't go back, even if Melee was a slightly superior game competitively.

for starters, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way that in Brawl, multi-hit attacks will actually combo their hits. No more of that DI-out-of-jab-combo-and-kick-you-in-the-face nonsense that always irritated me in Melee. Where fighting games are concerned, I have always been a fan of quick, weak attacks and jab strings, as well as multi-hit drilling attacks. Brawl really delivers over Melee in that aspect. The DI balance is perfect. The moves feel like they do what they were supposed to do, with the exception of grounded meteor attacks.

The characters are all so much different from each other now. There are characters who have A attacks that should be B attacks because the effects of these moves are so dynamic and unique. Lucas alone has like a bazillion advanced techs that no other character can perform just because he's such a freak.

And besides, if I were to go back to Melee, I would soon find myself pining for Lucario, or the majorly buffed new Ness. The characters in Brawl are all just so much more fun to play.

Now the lack of real combos is a bit sad, but it doesn't bother me at all. I very much enjoy defensive play, as I was a defensive player in Melee.

Brawl does suffer from some unfortunate glitches...especially the chain grab silliness on Ness and Lucas, but all of these have turned out to not be as bad as we all originally thought. Brawl can still be competitive, even if it's a different kind of competitive from Melee.

Overall, I actually find Brawl matches to be much more creative and exciting than Melee matches because the defend and parry playstyle can be so intense, it will have you biting your nails while you wait to see who will land the next hit. And mindgames are always fun to watch. In Melee, if Captain Falcon landed a down air, you could close your eyes for a few seconds and imagine the combo he would do, and then open them a few seconds later to see the opponent getting hit with the knee.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, see I love shields and dodging and stuff like that. I've always been a big fan of parries and whatnot.

So I guess Brawl just appeals to a different player mindset than Melee does.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, see I love shields and dodging and stuff like that. I've always been a big fan of parries and whatnot.

So I guess Brawl just appeals to a different player mindset than Melee does.
Yea I agree Melee and Brawl appeal to different people.

But I don't think its impossible to say like both? (... uhhh me?)

Although honestly in the fighting game world I'm pretty much a complete nub.

Considering melee was the ONLY fighting game I played competitively. :(

So I'm trying to broaden my fighting games and see what I like in them.

smashlink_aru

Smash Apprentice
I played brawl everyday since it came out like for two months (Just because my ******* wii couldn't read it and my cousin lend me his console... stupid nintendo) I couldn't stop playing, it was a lot of fun.

Now that I don't have a wii to play it, I go to friends houses, I'm still not bored but in my house I changed brawl for 64 (while I get another wii) and I can tell you that smash 64 is faster, however I get bored after two hours of playing it.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Don't play both.

Once you get brawl you can't go back to melee or you will begin to hate it.

Never play melee again.
I beg to differ. :\

I pursue both and my Link in Melee has only increased in skill. And the same goes for my front in Brawl. I'll play for both parties. But really, it's all a matter of preference. Smash 64 is the ultimate of the Smash series in aggressive gameplay. Melee is a balance of aggressive and defensive styles. Brawl has a very defensive approach unless you play an aggressive character (such as Meta Knight or Sonic).

It's all a matter of choice to you. Don't let the debates, flames and johns about Melee or Brawl alike poison your mind like it did to me once before.

In my opinion, if you can help it? Play all of them. They're all epic in their own way.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
that being said alot of people just dont wanna quit melee because they spent countless hours prefecting the ATs. and because of that they feel their time was wasted they refuse to leave when its "their time to shine".
Wow, seriously, you noobs don't know what the **** you're talking about. You THINK you do because of your ignorant misconceptions of competitive Melee players, but you're just wrong.

in b4 pointing out my join date. NOT my main account.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Yeah its boring
Wow. This post was helpful.

On-topic: I like both Melee and Brawl (and Smash 64), prefer Melee, but still love Brawl and still play it. Which one is more fun is really subjective.

Some poeple in this thread have said that people who mained Jiggs in Melee will probably prefer Brawl, when actually most of the people who mained Puff (myself included), that I've seen, prefer Melee. I wonder why people automatically think that being a Jiggs main means we'd prefer Brawl.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow. This post was helpful.

On-topic: I like both Melee and Brawl (and Smash 64), prefer Melee, but still love Brawl and still play it. Which one is more fun is really subjective.

Some poeple in this thread have said that people who mained Jiggs in Melee will probably prefer Brawl, when actually most of the people who mained Puff (myself included), that I've seen, prefer Melee. I wonder why people automatically think that being a Jiggs main means we'd prefer Brawl.
Quoted for truth. The best European Jiggz player (Biscuit) thinks Brawl is super boring, and so does USA's best Jiggz player (Mang0). Nuff said.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Strange thing is that Jigglypuff is the only character I can play now in Melee.

Oh, and Luigi. go figure

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The only reason you'd get bored of barlw is because you miss the amount of technical skill required to play melee. Though if you main a character like...weegee in melee then I think you'll like it.
this is definetly true when I wanna play tourney-wise

other than that Brawl is a decent, good game to play with my buddies when I wanna see some stupid **** happen like Wario's Fart, people KO-themselves etc..

Top Bottom