• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
>< Meant it more as a joke, no worries =) Just seeing what is new in the world since last i was a big part of it. I'll redeem my bad humor with a legit question though, nair cancel into usmash an effective idea to throw into normal approaches, or specifically more against a spot dodger or someone hiding behind their shield, or kept more retaliatory leaving the spacing game to the tried and true grab/fsmash/fair methods?
Obviously the range of the older methods are worthwhile, however against similar large ranged spacing dependent opponents is the mixup worth it, or more likely to come up short and get you punished?

-True

Fino

Smash Master
>< Meant it more as a joke, no worries =) Just seeing what is new in the world since last i was a big part of it. I'll redeem my bad humor with a legit question though, nair cancel into usmash an effective idea to throw into normal approaches, or specifically more against a spot dodger or someone hiding behind their shield, or kept more retaliatory leaving the spacing game to the tried and true grab/fsmash/fair methods?
Obviously the range of the older methods are worthwhile, however against similar large ranged spacing dependent opponents is the mixup worth it, or more likely to come up short and get you punished?

-True
Hehe, we missed you true ^^;

Anyways, from personal experience, nair into u/dsmash is decent approach in general. If they are shielding I would aim my nair to land behind them since you can't do a standing pivot grab out of shield. You're more likely to shield poke them anyways, but it's best to take precautions. As for spot dodging... I'm not really sure if that's the best option to punish. I would go for a ranged fsmash or something similar of the sort.
If I didn't answer what you were looking for perhaps you could re-word it ^^; I was a bit confused on exactly what you were asking

~Fino

Dyyne

Smash Ace
And what did you guys do recently to actually earn some respect for Oli? =)

-True
Andy G has been ****** EC, mostly either getting first at M2kless tournies, or getting second at tourneys M2k goes to. But he's quitting oli rofl

KBM

Smash Ace
Sudai will be at the same tourney as myself this saturday, and I currently suck giant balls against ROB.

Start anywhere because I SUCK at this matchup. Easily my worst at this point in time.

Or hints at Sudai's playstyle. Anything.

Don't give me garbage like "space and throw pikmin then grab", thanks.

KBM

Smash Ace
hey double post

SGC stands for Shy-Guy Cancelling, and it's perhaps the most ingenious AT ever discovered for olimar. It's quite possibly the reason why SBR moved him up 8 spots on the tier list! It's the game changing, mind blowing thing we've all been anticipating since brawls release. I can't even begin to describe it other than just show a tutorial vid of how to do it:
SGC REVEALED!

And thanks! Fino does work ^^;

~Fino
i hate you and everything you stand for, Fino.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
what can olimar approach with?
It really depends on which character. Could you be more specific?

Sudai will be at the same tourney as myself this saturday, and I currently suck giant balls against ROB.

Start anywhere because I SUCK at this matchup. Easily my worst at this point in time.

Or hints at Sudai's playstyle. Anything.

Don't give me garbage like "space and throw pikmin then grab", thanks.
Lots of fsmash at medium-far ranges. It barely outranges his tilts.
Grab is pretty useless IMO unless you use it to punish out of shield against everything but spaced dtilts.
Play it like you would Snake. Act like his jabs and tilts are Snake's and you should be fine.
Don't bother airdodging while offstage. Just whistle through everything.
Just some random tips.

Lol, Sudai is probably going to read this. :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some other important stuff.

Regardless of whichever ROB players disagree with me, you DO outcamp him. If you must, stay grounded while you throw. DO NOT shield the gyro, but instead let it land on the ground. Dash attack to pick it up and you can continue to throw your pikmin. Try to spotdodge or airdodge the small lasers and try to powershield the more charged ones. Reason being, the bigger ones have a longer-lasting hitbox. (not good to spotdodge against that)

Whenever you fall from high in the air to land or after using your second jump to recover, Rob players like to hit your landing with gyros. In fact, it's their bread and butter. Unless you're sure that they'll time the gyro incorrectly, you HAVE to whistle through it or you're risking a stock.

The dsmash (4 frames!)- DI up and out, and when you do, don't try to punish it. You won't have time to punish after you DI out. Just roll or run away. If you're stuck in a spotdodging war with ROB, you're in a bad position. Every ROB player that I've played loves to use dsmash out of a spotdodge. If you see them spotdodge, and if your shield is durable enough, shield when they come out of the spotdodge. Afterwards, they'll probably dsmash and that's when you get the easy shieldgrab.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I have a quick question. It's basically because I don't watch many other Olimar videos.

Does anyone do this as much as me?

1. dthrow
2. sh
3. uair
4. fair (could be replaced with nair if they DI towards you)

Then, I follow up depending on which aerial hit.

The last two good Olimars I've played are Olimarman (I play often) and Hilt, and neither of them ever do this. I do it because the uair usually stops them from jumping away, and the fair hits them if they air dodged. Sometimes the fair misses, but a grab or forward smash usually fix it.

I'm curious to see if any other good Olimars use this as much as I do. Also, I'd like to see more striving Olimars using this to help them land some sick techchase grab combos. :)

P.S.: Olimar's DAC is underrated.

Llumys

Smash Champion
It usually doesn't miss for me.

I don't actually go for the fair if the uair doesn't hit. I go for the fair if they air dodge. It stops them from jumping AND air dodging, so they have few options. Do you understand what I mean?

It seems like you understood that I do a hit uair then a hit fair.

I also do SH uair fair for approaching people who jump a lot but don't have much range.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I just picked up olimar, and I was an ike main, and I have been practicing stringing in the grab and the grab combos and stuff, but is walk off dair useful? I have gotten back with 3 pikmin missing and olimar spike is fairly good, just wanted to ask. Thanks.

asob4

Smash Champion
usually not just because of the fact it is still very possible for you to get gimped and it sends you more down then other aerials
walk off fair works nice though ;D

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well it sends you more down, because dair automatically fast falls if you don't do a slow run off or lightly hold down then a, or attack stick, but okay. :) thanks

Palpi

Smash Hero
lol sorry for the explanation, the way you contructed you sentence made it seem like voodoo magic for fast falling dairs :) my bad. And yeah, gimped = ewww, I play ike, i know how olimar's feel :).

Cook

Smash Master
I don't ever do a run-off d-air unless I'm ahead a stock because it's too easy to get gimped if you miss. However, I do run-off f-airs a LOT and it's usually pretty effective. It works well for me against G&W's because they don't expect me to edgeguard since his recovery isn't very gimpable; just don't get hit by the up-b.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
A few questions since I've decided to focus much more on my Olimar....

How do I deal with a pika that uses aerial thunderbolts into dash attack/grab all the time? Powershielding isn't fast enough to prevent a grab, damages my shield just enough to get poked, and the hitlag prevents pivot grabbing.

What is the best thing to do when a Ness player is using PKT2(self missile) at me and I can't get to him before it happens? He likes to use it at all angles.

Can Olimar grab Peach out of her float?

Is it ever a good idea to use dair when my opponent is under me and on the stage(typically after I've been hit up by them)? It seems like every single utilt/uair in the game outprioritizes Olly's dair.

When should I use Olimar's tilts? I practically don't use any of them now except for the jab as a "get away from me" move.

When I need to get someone off a ledge so I can tether it, is Fair or Uair better? Will a purple latch get them off?

Which 1-2 secondaries would be best to use out of the following and why: Wario, Dedede, G&W, ZSS, Wolf, Trainer, ROB?

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman

How do I deal with a pika that uses aerial thunderbolts into dash attack/grab all the time? Powershielding isn't fast enough to prevent a grab, damages my shield just enough to get poked, and the hitlag prevents pivot grabbing.

What is the best thing to do when a Ness player is using PKT2(self missile) at me and I can't get to him before it happens? He likes to use it at all angles.

Is it ever a good idea to use dair when my opponent is under me and on the stage(typically after I've been hit up by them)? It seems like every single utilt/uair in the game outprioritizes Olly's dair.

When should I use Olimar's tilts? I practically don't use any of them now except for the jab as a "get away from me" move.

When I need to get someone off a ledge so I can tether it, is Fair or Uair better? Will a purple latch get them off?

Which 1-2 secondaries would be best to use out of the following and why: Wario, Dedede, G&W, ZSS, Wolf, Trainer, ROB?
1- In a situation like that, I would throw pikmin to get around the the jolts and grab/pivot grab/fsmash him when he goes for a dash attack/grab

2- Let him use it, pikmin can grab him out of it. Just try to time the grab/pivot grab and you'll be fine.

3- He can if she's close enough to the ground, any higher and he can't

4- You should try to nair when that happens, dair is kinda risky. Or you could try to land away from them, that works too

5- You should use his uptilt whenever you opponent is near you, or in this case for a dair happy wario you should use uptilt when he tries to hit you with it. Ftilt should be used sparingly, just don't use it a lot and you're fine. Dtilt should be used when your opponent is at low percents because you can spam it a bit. Look at Fino's vid, you'll see what I mean

6- All three are good ideas, but since the purple pikmin is a projectile I lean more to it because you might be too far away from your opponent to even land a fair/uair

7- You should pick the one who can fight the matches Olimar isn't good at, or whoever you really like :3

Does this help?

KBM

Smash Ace
So, I'm having problems with Diddy Kong. What are all the things I should know about this match-up?
seconded.

btw, "take control of his naners" is not going to help, thx.

the one thing I do know is that Fsmash is really good, goes right through bananas and owns glide toss.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
seconded.

btw, "take control of his naners" is not going to help, thx.

the one thing I do know is that Fsmash is really good, goes right through bananas and owns glide toss.
Using the bananas is good only to a degree, you could mix things up with the pikmin throw and using the bananas. Diddy's whole style focuses on the bananas so the pikmin throw could keep him busy as well as rack up damage, the bananas are more of an additive ;)

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Where is Fino's video?

Also on the topic of secondaries - I don't really know who Olimar is weak against, except MK. I'm personally weak against Pika and Diddy, but both those matchups are listed as Olimar's advantage.

Fino

Smash Master

1. learn how tjolt moves... I play pikachus a lot and one thing you have to do is attack or block thier tjolt in a way that prevents an approach. usmash stops tjolts, nair out prioritizes it, fsmash and pikmin toss block it.

2. throw pikmin at him, it'll make the move super laggy or gimp him.... either way you have options to protect yourself from it.

3. No, olimar is in capable of grabbing people out of the air. however, on weird angles you are able to grab peach. for instance, if you are on the far side of yoshi's island, facing inward, you can grab peach if she is floating low enough.

4. His dair has low priority. Use dair to punish spot dodging and against a shielded opponent. Also use it to mix things up. Where you would normally fair, try to space yourself a little closer and do a dair. Don't try to dair when trying to ground yourself... try to nair ;)

5. Olimar has tilts? O.o In other words... don't really. Once you get a better feel for olimar... you'll see openings to use tilts, but shouldn't be used incredibly often. If you have something that is just blocking you, and you have no idea how ot get around it.... try tilting. lol.

6. I like to fair, it stage spikes... but if they still have their invincible frames... uair. And yes, a purple pikmin toss will knock them off.

7. As for secondaries... whomever you feel most comfortable and have fun playing

~Fino

Fino

Smash Master
Where is Fino's video?

Also on the topic of secondaries - I don't really know who Olimar is weak against, except MK. I'm personally weak against Pika and Diddy, but both those matchups are listed as Olimar's advantage.
Hmm? what do you mean my vids?

Anyways.... for secondaries look at #7 above ;)

~Fino

Excellence

Smash Champion
Using the bananas is good only to a degree, you could mix things up with the pikmin throw and using the bananas. Diddy's whole style focuses on the bananas so the pikmin throw could keep him busy as well as rack up damage, the bananas are more of an additive ;)
This isn't very helpful. You're sort of saying the obvious, "throw things and dodge stuff" which really doesn't make the situation better. I know all of that. What does Diddy Kong do to set you up where the is a banana in front and behind you. How does he set that up? Which way should you be rolling to avoid the most damage. For example, most players roll to where there is more space, so a smart G&W will run their and tech Up Smash to K.O. Smart opponents know this, they'll roll to where there is less space. Even smarter G&W know this and will do the obvious to test their opponent. Add infinity to that whole situation. Which way does Diddy expect me to go in order to punish me? If I throw him off, I'll have a good chance at reducing his mental momentum.

Shield the bananas and wait to see what he does. Shield grabbing is good.
This doesn't work. This is what happens... Diddy throws a Banana at your shield while gliding backward to grab a second, he glide tosses that one and himself forward making you slip. Diddy either repeats or he toss you off the ledge and kills you.

Now powershielding the bananas, then forward smashing Diddy as he approaches or deflecting the next banana so you can Pivot Grab his dash attack and get him away from it works okay, but even that has it's holes.

Someone help me... Where is Fino?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Against diddy, it may not be a good idea to sh your pikmin toss, since diddy will throw the banana when you're landing. In fact, may not be a good idea to pikmin toss that much at all, since they usually arc above the bananas anyway and rarely block them.

Excellence, stuff like "which way should I roll?" can't be answered. You pose too many questions that you need to find for yourself through playing them. Every player is different, it's up to you to observe their patterns.

Anyway, grabbing isn't a good idea in this matchup imo. Stuff like dash attack can hardly be punished by a grab since a second attack or a retreat can be started right after it, and our lack of shield armor makes it difficult to find a space where we can safely grab. I really don't like this matchup, but I play it all the time :( In the air, his fair> our fair, and it is fast enough that they can fairly easily bait an airdodge/ whistle, and attack after. God I hate this matchup...

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
This isn't very helpful. You're sort of saying the obvious, "throw things and dodge stuff" which really doesn't make the situation better. I know all of that. What does Diddy Kong do to set you up where the is a banana in front and behind you. How does he set that up? Which way should you be rolling to avoid the most damage. For example, most players roll to where there is more space, so a smart G&W will run their and tech Up Smash to K.O. Smart opponents know this, they'll roll to where there is less space. Even smarter G&W know this and will do the obvious to test their opponent. Add infinity to that whole situation. Which way does Diddy expect me to go in order to punish me? If I throw him off, I'll have a good chance at reducing his mental momentum.
The best option would be just to fsmash diddy for whenever he goes on trying to glide toss bananas at you, as said by KBM it goes through that approach.

EV tiamo

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'm kinda new, but I was wondering

Who are the top 5 olimars? I want to know who to search for on youtube =D

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Hi! I'm kinda new, but I was wondering

Who are the top 5 olimars? I want to know who to search for on youtube =D
1. olimar boards
2. olimar boards
3. olimar boards
4. olimar boards
5. olimar boards

Anyway, there isn't an abundant amount of oli vids on youtube. AndyG was really good, but he stopped olimar, and I don't think there are many vids of him anyway. I think Fino has a few vids, and he's good, so I'd check out his. Other than that, just check the video thread for more vids ;)

Top Bottom