• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Aran is extremely useful in hard mode, if only to carry the failbrigade through some of their chapters. I always use my Transfer Zihark and Nolan together for the godly Earth + Earth support so they never get hit. Transfer bonus Jill is also pretty sex, she'll usually cap STR, SPD, SKILL, and sometimes DEF in PoR.

But yeah, Wolf and Sedgar are pants-on-head retardedly good. They're only MILDLY handicapped by their low base stats and level, and somewhat late join time.
I got to chapter 5 of the game in hard mode when i tried and couldnt get through it. Not because of me, I did well but Jill just kept on dying :/ and since I cant ****in control her, well...I never tried again XD. LOL @ fail brigade XD, so true. Seriously, did they do it on purpose? All the characters in the dawn brigade are EXTREMELY terrible except for edward, aran and if ur lucky, Micaiah. (if she gets enough def and speed) And leonardo, dang I've never seen a more fail archer in any FE game. Rolf and Shinon completely wipe the floor with him.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Haar and Nephenee.....all I need ;)

Boyd and Mia are my cleanup after I send those two up lol

Also: I LOVE Stefan in PoR but I was sooo dissapointed that you get him so late in RD :(

In the end my favorites are Stefan and Haar. Stefan is just awesome in everyway basically (love when he laughs at Yune in their convo.) and Haar is just awesome in everything he does- then sleeps lol

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Haar and Nephenee.....all I need ;)

Boyd and Mia are my cleanup after I send those two up lol

Also: I LOVE Stefan in PoR but I was sooo dissapointed that you get him so late in RD :(

In the end my favorites are Stefan and Haar. Stefan is just awesome in everyway basically (love when he laughs at Yune in their convo.) and Haar is just awesome in everything he does- then sleeps lol
I find Haar to be a beast but at the endgame everyone uses magic so his res becomes a BIG problem. Nephenee I always use. Shes incredible. Mia with Vague Katti + her amazing avoid and hit + gamble is also incredibly broken. Rolf with double bow and incredible hp and str growths is also incredibly broken. I always use Nephenee, Soren, Rolf, Mia in every plathrough :p. Btw, does anyone know how to get Jill to stop getting herself killed in chapter 5 hard mode? Ive been trying it, but to no luck.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, so I had a massive post that covered my opinions on every member of the Dawn Brigade, AND the solution to your chapter 5 problem, and then my Dad hit the wrong circuit breaker while trying to find which one was my sister's room. I'll re-do it soon.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ok, so I had a massive post that covered my opinions on every member of the Dawn Brigade, AND the solution to your chapter 5 problem, and then my Dad hit the wrong circuit breaker while trying to find which one was my sister's room. I'll re-do it soon.
****, I hate it when that happens to me.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, let's do this. *cracks fingers*

Firstly, your chapter 5 problem, which is Jill dying before you can get there.

Answer: Use Volug. When you start from the lower left, rush Nolan and the rest of the crew up and clear a path through the group of 4. Volug, un-inhibited by the sand, can zip right up and get to Jill by turn 2. Have him take out anything really dangerous (Watch out for Fire mages), and try to get some units blocking the plateau that can attack from range. Attacking from a floor up is stupidly safe. If you want to steal the Master Seal off the Soldier for the extra cash or to save yourself a level of exp/bexp, bait him over with Sothe, steal it, then run like a *****.

Ok, onwards to my DB character evaluations.

First up: Micaiah.

Micaiah is a good unit with some very confusing growth allocations. She has an 80 in Magic and Luck, and a 90 in res. She will basically ALWAYS cap these, no matter what. Fortunately, that means her late Tier 3 forced promotion makes her a prime candidate for some BEXP as soon as she caps anything. Otherwise, her abysmal Hp, Speed, and Def growths mean she's basically a useless frontline unit. She can't survive on her luck alone, and her iffy speed growth of 35 means she'll rarely be doubling anything, and is sometimes at RISK of getting doubled, which she cannot possibly stand on hard mode. Her luck doesn't not cover her avoid issues completely, and her awful HP and Defense means she can stand ONE hit, MAYBE two, tops.

If she wasn't forced for endgame, I wouldn't bother with her, but she is, so you can't ignore her. Part 1 she's great for potshots as long as you keep her safe from harm, part 3 she's incredibly lackluster. (Being stuck in the top for all of 3-13 does not help her case) her affinty is OK, but not amazing, you may as well keep her Auto-A with Sothe, since he's going to spend a lot of time guarding her anyway.

Come end-game she's basically going to be a staff *****. Bless a purge so she can actually attack when she feels like it, don't bother with trying to Frontline with Nosferatu or RexAura, she's pretty pitiful against Dragons anyway.

Rating: 5/10, I only use her since she's forced.

Next: Edward.

I feel bad for Edward, really, I do. If he had a nice spot on the Greil Mercenaries, he could enjoy the boatload of exp they have to go around. He's unfortunately stuck with the DB, which is bad news for him. On easy and Normal, using Edward is no real problem, but on Hard, there's really only enough exp to keep 3 DB units that aren't Sothe or Micaiah, and Edward does NOT have to durability to frontline with the DB. That means he's stuck using the Wind Edge for pot-shots, which has awful accuracy, and he'll never really amount to much. He can't take hits until Late Tier 2, Early Tier 3 when his avoid starts to actually HELP him, and he doesn't have the means to get that far in chapters as grueling as the Dawn Brigades. he also suffers from his awful Light affinity, which nobody wants him for.

Stat-wise, Edward is a great unit. If he makes it to 20/20/20, he'll cap everything but Res and Magic, and he starts ramming his Trublade caps around 20/20/10, and he hits his Swordmaster caps early enough to give him about 4 levels of BEXP to fix his problem areas. Unfortunately for poor Edward, he only turns out MARGINALLY better than Zihark and Mia, who are both infinitely easier to use. Zihark comes with Innate Adept, RNG-proofed, and ready to rock, especially if he gets a PoR transfer. (Str, Spd, SKill is realistic) Zihark ALSO comes with a lovely Earth affinity that everyone EVERYWHERE loves, so he's instantly fielded on every DB chapter being a Pre-promo with an amazing affinty. Considering his ease of use compared to Eddie, Edward just has no place in hard mode. Take off his Innate Wrath and give it to someone else, he doesn't have the avoid or defense to make use of it. To make matters worse, Mia also does just as well stat-wise, and has the best OFFENSIVE affinity in the game. She makes a great partner for Ike, comes pretty much RNG-proof, and on the Greil Mercs, so boatloads of exp and easy chapters for her. Plus, Boobs > Edward. Hell, even Stefan and LUCIA get more brownie points in HM, since Stefan brings the Vague Katti, Lucia has Earth affinity, and both do similar stat-wise and are already promoted. Sorry Edward.

Rating: 2.5/10 Use only in Easy or Normal.

Next: Leonardo.

Fortunately, Leonardo is real quick to analyze. He's an Archer, so his enemy phase contribution is automatically garbage. This alone puts him on the rocks. His affinity is awful (water), and his only decent growths are skill, Luck, HP, and Res, all of which are USELESS TO HIM, since he should never be getting hit if you use your archers right. He can't tank like Shinon can, since his durability is always mediocre at best, and he does piss-poor damage with anything other than a cross-bow, which are only good for killing mages and taking enemy phase potshots, which he can't do with his fail durability. He's impossible to realistically keep up in levels without babying him beyond belief or feeding him BEXP, and he's way too fragile to frontline.

Stat-wise, he's pretty awful. His Average strength and Speed come to a paltry 32, and he only caps Luck, Speed, and Res. Shinon and Rolf **** him completely in nearly every area, and they both come promoted, so there's no reason to ever bother with him. Personally, I see no need to feed Rolf since Shinon is RNG-proof, and I only need One Marksman. I always use Shinon, and no other archer. Shinon is durable for his entire existence, and will never have problems doubling or killing much of anything. Thunder affinity is pretty good, and he's on the Greil Mercs, and comes at level --/13/0. Check please.

Rating for Leonardo: 3/10. This guy is only fit to man Ballistae and take pot-shots with Lughnasadh, which he is admittedly, MILDLY useful for.

Next: The Nolanator. Also known as Chuck Norris the Second, and The Man With the Epic Beard.

From my intro description, you can probably guess my opinion on this man. Nolan, simply put, is a god among mortals. Let's break him down quickly. He's the only durable member of the DB's first 6 chapters besides Sothe and Volug. (and Volug is only for 1-5) This man will be front-lining in EVERY DB chapter, since he has fantastic durability, with his great DEF and HP bases, and respectable growths of 60 and 35 respectively. His Earth affinity means everyone on the DB wants his support, you can either pair him with Jill to spread the Earth love, or pair him with Volug or Zihark to make the untouchable Earth/Earth god pair. I'm a fan of pairing him with Zihark, and letting JillxVolug play around with their ridiculous move, steamrolling everything.

His Earth support and above-average defenses means that the only thing that can threaten him in Part 1 or 3 is an accurate mage, or a lucky hit from a Tiger in 3-6 or 3-13. The man is MVP for every early chapter except 1-P, and most of the later DB chapters. He'll cap everything but Def (Off by .85), Str (Off by 3), and HP (Off by 4, with a cap of 68). However, since he rams his caps super early in T2 and T3, he's a prime candidate for some extra BEXP. My last Nolan capped EVERYTHING. PLUS, the man has INNATE NIHIL. His Prf axe, Tarvos, is god tier, boasting might almost on par with Urvan, and giving an extra +3 (5?) defense, making his already amazing durability even better. Bless that for Endgame, and someone else gets Urvan. What's not to like? He brings everything he could possibly need all in one handy, manly, beard-ridden and ready to **** package.

Boyd is by no means a bad unit, you won't ever have to worry about him being strength screwed, but he lacks some of the durability that he desperately needs. His Fire affinity is just overkill, and he's short on avoid. With so many other good Greil merc units, he doesn't have quite the claim to the exp, whereas Nolan is a god among mere mortals, and practically BEGS to be used.

Rating: 9.5/10, his only flaw is being slightly prone to Strength screwage. Use this man, or the DB chapters are HELL.

Next: Laura.

Laura is kind of a sad case. She has amazing growths, a decent defensive affinity, and 100% claim to her role through Part 1 and Part 3. She's your only healer besides Tier 2 Micaiah (Who can't frontline in 3-13), so she basically HAS to be used. Unfortunately for Laura, her problems are many.

Firstly, she's very fragile, and can't ever take even 1 hit during Part 1. If enemies get to Laura, you have to restart the chapter. Second, the Dawn Brigade does NOT have enough chapters to feasibly level her. IF you are working towards low turn counts, she'll reach MAYBE level 13-14 by the Part 4, if that. You either have to dump a CRAP ton of BEXP on her at the start of Part 4, or she rides the bench, simply being too far behind to ever catch up.

If you DO decide to use her, she performs great stat-wise, capping everything but Str, Luck, and Res, coming pretty close in all 3. (And res isn't even that important) However, she's sadly limited by Light magic's AWFUL offensive capabilities, and if you bring her to end-game, she's a staff-*****, nothing more. And therin lies the problem, since Micaiah is already forced into Endgame, and has to do EXACTLY the same thing.

Now you might be thinking, "But Raz, what if I want more than one healer?" Well, the answer is quite simple. Queen Elincia. Comes at --/--/1 with good bases, amazing growths, her own prf Brave Sword, and she can ****ING FLY. She has Canto and STAVES, AND IGNORES TERRAIN. SHE CANNOT BE PASSED UP. Even if you wanted THREE healers (which is way overkill), even Mist has a better claim to it thanks to Canto + Horse, and you can likely make due easily by having whichever Archsage you pick off-heal.

Laura's a great unit, but her competition is either GODLY, or forced.

Rating: 6/10, use only if you love to baby units.

Next: Sothe.

Sothe is a god during Part 1 and 3. His durability and avoid are great to start out, and his support with Micaiah means he shouldn't feasibly die at all in part 1, and only if you try to take on 10 tigers like Danved in part 3. His only drawback is that he's promoted, so he sucks up EXP from GOD... err, Nolan. Keep his Bronze knife on, use him to soften stuff up, and have him focus on stealing, softening, and utility.

Sothe for Part 4 is where he gets iffy. He would be AWESOME if IS didn't give Whispers the **** with their horrid Strength cap of 28. That alone, means he'll do awful damage for all of endgame, and since he's forced, you can't EVER use Heather. Volke has SOME claim to fame since he comes RNG-Proof, has a better Strength cap, and a way better mastery skill. Unfortunately, since Sothe is forced, and there is only one Baselard, bringing Volke means SOMEONE gets stuck with peshkatz, which instantly makes them useless, since its damage is completely awful. I still use Volke anyway, since I love the guy, but it's really depressing.

Rating: 7/10 If he wasn't forced, I'd drop him for Volke in Part 4. Great for Part 1 and 3, **** endgame.

Next: Ilyana.

Ilyana is... weird. She was great in PoR, so I'd like to hope for the same in Dawn. She has exceptional bases, but her growths are pretty average, especially her disgustingly awful Speed growth of 30, which basically ensures she'll never double after promotion. Her Light affinity is bad, nothing much to say there. Nobody wants her for it. In the long run, she doesn't turn out that bad. She comes pretty close to capping everything including speed, but that has a paltry cap of 30. To further her case, she has the best availability in the game, having more playable chapters than ANYONE else.

Despite all that she has going for her, she's hindered by IS nerfing Thunder magic into the ground. It was way too good in PoR, so they nerfed the crap out of its might and hit, leaving it with only some lousy crit. She'll have unreliable hit rates for most of the game, so she's not a unit you want to every have to rely on. Further problems for her, Soren does everything she does, better. Her only upside for endgame is that Rexbolt absolutely DESTROYS in 4-E-3, and she can easily go to town on the Dragons, if she can avoid a hit. However, her spreed cap means she'll never double anything important for endgame, so she's pretty much useless.

Rating: 4/10. I don't know how a unit with so many decent qualities turns out to be this mediocre. She's basically just a slower Micaiah with worse tome type. At least she isn't forced. Plus, she was WAY cuter in PoR. :chuckle:

Next up is Aran.

Aran has one job. BE IN THE WAY. And suffice it to say, he does it well. With his ridiculous Strength, Skill and Defense growths, he's a wall that rarely misses on a HARD counter-attack. Unfortunately, he's also a wall that gets doubled. Fortunately for him, his growths mean he's a great BEXP candidate. However, Thunder affinity is only decent for him, and other combat like Jill, Nolan, Sothe and Zihark just have better claim to the experience than he does.

Keep him around to serve his purpose in Part 1 and 3, but bench him for endgame. Nephenee gets all of Part 2 to herself, and since Aran is on an EXP starved team, he's not worth the investment for mediocre return, considering how amazing Nephenee is. At least he's better than Danved.

Rating: 5/10 Serves his purpose, nothing more.

.... Meg.

I pretty much feel like I do about Family Guy's Meg, in this case. Nobody likes you, go away.

I honestly don't know what IS was thinking on this one. They give you a LEVEL THREE Armor Knight in a chapter where almost everything doubles her, and then the entire rest of Part 1 is high mobility chapters. Everything else about her doesn't even matter, since she'll never make it that far. She's basically IMPOSSIBLE to use in Part 1, and Marshalls are unfortunately awful as a class anyway.

Rating: 0.5/10, since her only use is blocking a ledge in 3-13. :urg: I DON'T EVEN FIELD HER IN HER JOINING CHAPTER, SINCE AN EMPTY SPOT IS LESS LIABILITY THAN SHE IS.

next up: the DB's token black gu-.... I mean, Laguz.

Volug is a godsend for Part 1. He has the durability to be like your man if he used Old Spice, and he runs like HE IS A HORSE. He has Earth affinity, his Wildheart means he does enough damage to soften, but not completely **** everything, and you can take it off in Part 3 if you want to actually use him.

Unfortunately, he is absolute garbage after Part 3, since Nailah completely eclipses him in every way possible. Instant god-mode stats, Formshift, SS Strike, there's absolutely no reason Volug should ever go to Endgame.

Ranking: 9/10 for when he's needed, 1/10 for Endgame.

Tauroneo.....

is around for like, 2 chapters. He's an awesome wall when you have him, but he just straight up bails, and he's useless by the time you can use him again. And Marshalls are awful. Take his Resolve immediately, give it to Nolan or Jill, then dump the guy, he's useless.

Rating: 3/10. BLOCK LEDGES FOR ME, YOU USELESS CLOD.

Jill is another God tier unit.

She has a bit of a shaky start, but as soon as her growths get her up to speed, she ***** even Haar. If you bring her a PoR transfer (Str, Speed, SKill, Def is doable), she will be everything you ever wanted, and SHE FLIES. High mobility, and she uses Axes, which are by and large the best weapon in the game, no question. Her Thunder affinity is decent, and she is one of three units on the DB who DESERVE EXP. (Jill, Nolan and Zihark. Micaiah and Sothe only get it because they're forced.)

End-game she completely destroys, capping almost everything. Prime candidate for Urvan, if you don't give it to Haar (I usually give him a Brave Axe or a Forged Silver, he doesn't have the speed to use urvan right.)

Rating: 9/10. Only slightly less awesome than Nolan due to the shaky start.

Zihark.

Also pretty easy.

• Comes RNG Proof
  • Amazing Bases
  • Good Growths
  • Earth Affinity
  • Instantly Usable
  • Durable thanks to great avoid and decent HP.
  • Transfer Plausible (Str, Speed, Skill)
He's only slightly less awesome than Mia. I use both Mia and Zihark, with the Vague Katti for 'hark, and Alondite for Mia.

Rating: 8.5/10. Third best unit on the DB.

Here's another unfortunate misfit.

Fiona. She'd be good, if she showed up 3 chapters ago. Instead, she shows up underleveled on an team that has no spot for her, since she's an "Awful bases, good growths" type. Her Earth affinity is pretty meh due to late join time and her other problems, so she usually just ends up benched. I give her Imbue and Savior scrolls to someone else, and let her talk to Meg for every chapter.

Rating: 2.5/10. Ledge Blocker. Why didn't you show up in 1-4?!

Tormod, Vika, and Muarim I will do all in one fell swoop.

You're here for three chapters where you aren't needed, then you DISAPPEAR UNTIL 4-4. WHAT THE ****, GET OUT, I HATE YOU.

Rating: Danved/9001. You're never here.

Nailah.

Makes the Swamp and 1-E a complete joke, then disappears until basically endgame. But THAT'S OK, SHE'S ALREADY a god, bring her to End-game anyway.

Rating: 9/10, Laguz Royals are really over-powered.

Rafiel.

If we didn't have Laguz gems for Reyson, you would be a real baller. Instead, you're hampered by move and lack of Canto.

I don't rate Herons on /10, since they're unique and you only get one, so I award Rafiel the second place award. Better than Leanne, worse than Reyson.

Black Knight.

Pizza out of Donair Sauce.

It's 3:20 AM, and I just rated the entire Dawn Brigade.

Final Verdict: Sothe and Micaiah since they're forced, Nolan, Zihark, Jill, and Volug/Nailah (Volug for 1 and 3, Nailah for Endgame)

I'll be here all year, will do the Greil Mercs and Crimean Knights if requested.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
o.0

Dayum.

Well, most of it looks pretty good to me, but there are a few things I (strongly) disagree with.

Raziek said:
She has a bit of a shaky start, but as soon as her growths get her up to speed, she ***** even Haar.
rofl

Nobody ***** Haar. I'm sorry, but it doesn't happen. Haar is a much more solid unit throughout the game for many reasons; not only does he come in nearly a whole tier higher than her, but he is available for MORE chapters than Jill is. Jill absolutely will not make up the difference in levels by the time Part 4 rolls around; she'll be lucky to reach the teens in tier 2, while Haar will almost certainly be in tier 3. Even if she somehow gains enough Exp to catch up to him, she doesn't wreck him at all; she may cap more things than Haar does at 20/20/20, but Haar has arguably better caps for the endgame anyway. She may have better Spd, Lck, and Res, but Haar has better HP, Str, and Def. Lck is lulzy, Jill's Res lead is offset by Haar's HP and Def, and the endgame enemies are generally on the slower side anyway
(especially the Dragons)
, so the Spd difference isn't all that significant.

You can argue Jill to be on par with Haar, even though I firmly believe Haar is greatly superior, but I will never be convinced that Jill is the better unit. =3

Furthermore, I think you've underrated Aran quite a bit, especially considering this is all about Hard mode. If there's anything Micaiah's group needs throughout their existance, it's a wall that can take blows and plug up the abundant bottlenecks they see, and there is NOBODY that does that better than Aran in part 3. His lack of Spd and less than stellar base Str means he requires some patience to raise, but his good survivability keeps him out of danger even early on. I disagree with your list of units that deserves Exp more than Aran, at least for Part 1; Sothe and Zihark don't have much to gain by taking the Exp because of how overleveled they are, and should mainly be used for weakening enemies for the good tier 1 units (IMO Nolan, Jill, Aran, and Micaiah because she's manditory) to finish off. I can easily get the first 3 units to tier 2 and Micaiah to level 20 by the end of Part one, and Sothe/Zihark will have gained a couple levels each by this point as well.

Part 3 is where Aran really shines. Fortunately for him, the fact the enemies in the Dawn Brigade's first appearence in Part 3 are either Cats or Tigers means that any given unit will either DA him, though doing very little damage, or will take out a decent chunk of HP, but will never double him. This makes him very useful, though if raised properly and with proper use of chokepoints, the entire team should be doing well here; Zihark's a glass cannon, Nolan has good (but not great) offense and defense, Jill is amazing for hit-and-run, and Aran rounds that group out by tanking. Sothe and Micaiah work moderately well together, but it's the previous 4 that will be doing most of the work, and Aran is an important contributer to that. Nolan + Tarvos is good defensively with his great HP, but the threat of breaking Tarvos limits that use, even if only by a little bit. Jill has okay Def, but Aran far outstrips it. Zihark relies heavily on his evasion to survive, and even with his beastly Nolan support, it isn't anywhere near reliable enough. Because of Aran's role, he should be taking the most hits on Enemy phases, so he gets a lot of Exp that way. This trend continues for the rest of part 3, and since he cap rams all three of his strong stats extremely quickly, he has BEXP to improve his weaker points, especially HP and Spd. By the time 3-13 comes around, he should be more than ready to be thrown at the laguz with little to no fear, as the cats and hawks barely scratch him with his capped Def. Tigers will be a bit of a threat, but with good BEXP use, it's not unrealistic to expect him to be doubling them by this point.

As for endgame, I wouldn't say Nephenee beats him. Stat-wise, by Part 4, the fact that Aran has 12 levels on average to abuse BEXP before tier 3 usually makes up at least partially for the fact the Neph will have the level lead. It's worth noting that even Lvl. 1 Sentinal Nephenee won't have quite as much Str and Def as Lvl. 8 Halberdier Aran. =P Aran winds up being the stronger, sturdier Sentinal, while Nephenee is the faster one with better resistance to magic. They both perform solidly in the end-game.

I also think that Aran/Jill make a very good support team. Double thunder gives them both good Def and Avo, which gives Jill a solid boost while strengthening Aran's defensiveness even further. =]

tl;dr - Aran >>> 5/10, and Jill does not **** Haar.

I didn't want to write a wall of text for that, but Aran has been way too amazing for me in the past for me to watch him be tossed aside as a mediocre unit. </3 I know personal experience = fail, but the numbers back it all up IMO.

:005:

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ok, let's do this. *cracks fingers*

Firstly, your chapter 5 problem, which is Jill dying before you can get there.

Answer: Use Volug. When you start from the lower left, rush Nolan and the rest of the crew up and clear a path through the group of 4. Volug, un-inhibited by the sand, can zip right up and get to Jill by turn 2. Have him take out anything really dangerous (Watch out for Fire mages), and try to get some units blocking the plateau that can attack from range. Attacking from a floor up is stupidly safe. If you want to steal the Master Seal off the Soldier for the extra cash or to save yourself a level of exp/bexp, bait him over with Sothe, steal it, then run like a *****.

Ok, onwards to my DB character evaluations.

First up: Micaiah.

Micaiah is a good unit with some very confusing growth allocations. She has an 80 in Magic and Luck, and a 90 in res. She will basically ALWAYS cap these, no matter what. Fortunately, that means her late Tier 3 forced promotion makes her a prime candidate for some BEXP as soon as she caps anything. Otherwise, her abysmal Hp, Speed, and Def growths mean she's basically a useless frontline unit. She can't survive on her luck alone, and her iffy speed growth of 35 means she'll rarely be doubling anything, and is sometimes at RISK of getting doubled, which she cannot possibly stand on hard mode. Her luck doesn't not cover her avoid issues completely, and her awful HP and Defense means she can stand ONE hit, MAYBE two, tops.

If she wasn't forced for endgame, I wouldn't bother with her, but she is, so you can't ignore her. Part 1 she's great for potshots as long as you keep her safe from harm, part 3 she's incredibly lackluster. (Being stuck in the top for all of 3-13 does not help her case) her affinty is OK, but not amazing, you may as well keep her Auto-A with Sothe, since he's going to spend a lot of time guarding her anyway.

Come end-game she's basically going to be a staff *****. Bless a purge so she can actually attack when she feels like it, don't bother with trying to Frontline with Nosferatu or RexAura, she's pretty pitiful against Dragons anyway.

Rating: 5/10, I only use her since she's forced.

Next: Edward.

I feel bad for Edward, really, I do. If he had a nice spot on the Greil Mercenaries, he could enjoy the boatload of exp they have to go around. He's unfortunately stuck with the DB, which is bad news for him. On easy and Normal, using Edward is no real problem, but on Hard, there's really only enough exp to keep 3 DB units that aren't Sothe or Micaiah, and Edward does NOT have to durability to frontline with the DB. That means he's stuck using the Wind Edge for pot-shots, which has awful accuracy, and he'll never really amount to much. He can't take hits until Late Tier 2, Early Tier 3 when his avoid starts to actually HELP him, and he doesn't have the means to get that far in chapters as grueling as the Dawn Brigades. he also suffers from his awful Light affinity, which nobody wants him for.

Stat-wise, Edward is a great unit. If he makes it to 20/20/20, he'll cap everything but Res and Magic, and he starts ramming his Trublade caps around 20/20/10, and he hits his Swordmaster caps early enough to give him about 4 levels of BEXP to fix his problem areas. Unfortunately for poor Edward, he only turns out MARGINALLY better than Zihark and Mia, who are both infinitely easier to use. Zihark comes with Innate Adept, RNG-proofed, and ready to rock, especially if he gets a PoR transfer. (Str, Spd, SKill is realistic) Zihark ALSO comes with a lovely Earth affinity that everyone EVERYWHERE loves, so he's instantly fielded on every DB chapter being a Pre-promo with an amazing affinty. Considering his ease of use compared to Eddie, Edward just has no place in hard mode. Take off his Innate Wrath and give it to someone else, he doesn't have the avoid or defense to make use of it. To make matters worse, Mia also does just as well stat-wise, and has the best OFFENSIVE affinity in the game. She makes a great partner for Ike, comes pretty much RNG-proof, and on the Greil Mercs, so boatloads of exp and easy chapters for her. Plus, Boobs > Edward. Hell, even Stefan and LUCIA get more brownie points in HM, since Stefan brings the Vague Katti, Lucia has Earth affinity, and both do similar stat-wise and are already promoted. Sorry Edward.

Rating: 2.5/10 Use only in Easy or Normal.

Next: Leonardo.

Fortunately, Leonardo is real quick to analyze. He's an Archer, so his enemy phase contribution is automatically garbage. This alone puts him on the rocks. His affinity is awful (water), and his only decent growths are skill, Luck, HP, and Res, all of which are USELESS TO HIM, since he should never be getting hit if you use your archers right. He can't tank like Shinon can, since his durability is always mediocre at best, and he does piss-poor damage with anything other than a cross-bow, which are only good for killing mages and taking enemy phase potshots, which he can't do with his fail durability. He's impossible to realistically keep up in levels without babying him beyond belief or feeding him BEXP, and he's way too fragile to frontline.

Stat-wise, he's pretty awful. His Average strength and Speed come to a paltry 32, and he only caps Luck, Speed, and Res. Shinon and Rolf **** him completely in nearly every area, and they both come promoted, so there's no reason to ever bother with him. Personally, I see no need to feed Rolf since Shinon is RNG-proof, and I only need One Marksman. I always use Shinon, and no other archer. Shinon is durable for his entire existence, and will never have problems doubling or killing much of anything. Thunder affinity is pretty good, and he's on the Greil Mercs, and comes at level --/13/0. Check please.

Rating for Leonardo: 3/10. This guy is only fit to man Ballistae and take pot-shots with Lughnasadh, which he is admittedly, MILDLY useful for.

Next: The Nolanator. Also known as Chuck Norris the Second, and The Man With the Epic Beard.

From my intro description, you can probably guess my opinion on this man. Nolan, simply put, is a god among mortals. Let's break him down quickly. He's the only durable member of the DB's first 6 chapters besides Sothe and Volug. (and Volug is only for 1-5) This man will be front-lining in EVERY DB chapter, since he has fantastic durability, with his great DEF and HP bases, and respectable growths of 60 and 35 respectively. His Earth affinity means everyone on the DB wants his support, you can either pair him with Jill to spread the Earth love, or pair him with Volug or Zihark to make the untouchable Earth/Earth god pair. I'm a fan of pairing him with Zihark, and letting JillxVolug play around with their ridiculous move, steamrolling everything.

His Earth support and above-average defenses means that the only thing that can threaten him in Part 1 or 3 is an accurate mage, or a lucky hit from a Tiger in 3-6 or 3-13. The man is MVP for every early chapter except 1-P, and most of the later DB chapters. He'll cap everything but Def (Off by .85), Str (Off by 3), and HP (Off by 4, with a cap of 68). However, since he rams his caps super early in T2 and T3, he's a prime candidate for some extra BEXP. My last Nolan capped EVERYTHING. PLUS, the man has INNATE NIHIL. His Prf axe, Tarvos, is god tier, boasting might almost on par with Urvan, and giving an extra +3 (5?) defense, making his already amazing durability even better. Bless that for Endgame, and someone else gets Urvan. What's not to like? He brings everything he could possibly need all in one handy, manly, beard-ridden and ready to **** package.

Boyd is by no means a bad unit, you won't ever have to worry about him being strength screwed, but he lacks some of the durability that he desperately needs. His Fire affinity is just overkill, and he's short on avoid. With so many other good Greil merc units, he doesn't have quite the claim to the exp, whereas Nolan is a god among mere mortals, and practically BEGS to be used.

Rating: 9.5/10, his only flaw is being slightly prone to Strength screwage. Use this man, or the DB chapters are HELL.

Next: Laura.

Laura is kind of a sad case. She has amazing growths, a decent defensive affinity, and 100% claim to her role through Part 1 and Part 3. She's your only healer besides Tier 2 Micaiah (Who can't frontline in 3-13), so she basically HAS to be used. Unfortunately for Laura, her problems are many.

Firstly, she's very fragile, and can't ever take even 1 hit during Part 1. If enemies get to Laura, you have to restart the chapter. Second, the Dawn Brigade does NOT have enough chapters to feasibly level her. IF you are working towards low turn counts, she'll reach MAYBE level 13-14 by the Part 4, if that. You either have to dump a CRAP ton of BEXP on her at the start of Part 4, or she rides the bench, simply being too far behind to ever catch up.

If you DO decide to use her, she performs great stat-wise, capping everything but Str, Luck, and Res, coming pretty close in all 3. (And res isn't even that important) However, she's sadly limited by Light magic's AWFUL offensive capabilities, and if you bring her to end-game, she's a staff-*****, nothing more. And therin lies the problem, since Micaiah is already forced into Endgame, and has to do EXACTLY the same thing.

Now you might be thinking, "But Raz, what if I want more than one healer?" Well, the answer is quite simple. Queen Elincia. Comes at --/--/1 with good bases, amazing growths, her own prf Brave Sword, and she can ****ING FLY. She has Canto and STAVES, AND IGNORES TERRAIN. SHE CANNOT BE PASSED UP. Even if you wanted THREE healers (which is way overkill), even Mist has a better claim to it thanks to Canto + Horse, and you can likely make due easily by having whichever Archsage you pick off-heal.

Laura's a great unit, but her competition is either GODLY, or forced.

Rating: 6/10, use only if you love to baby units.

Next: Sothe.

Sothe is a god during Part 1 and 3. His durability and avoid are great to start out, and his support with Micaiah means he shouldn't feasibly die at all in part 1, and only if you try to take on 10 tigers like Danved in part 3. His only drawback is that he's promoted, so he sucks up EXP from GOD... err, Nolan. Keep his Bronze knife on, use him to soften stuff up, and have him focus on stealing, softening, and utility.

Sothe for Part 4 is where he gets iffy. He would be AWESOME if IS didn't give Whispers the **** with their horrid Strength cap of 28. That alone, means he'll do awful damage for all of endgame, and since he's forced, you can't EVER use Heather. Volke has SOME claim to fame since he comes RNG-Proof, has a better Strength cap, and a way better mastery skill. Unfortunately, since Sothe is forced, and there is only one Baselard, bringing Volke means SOMEONE gets stuck with peshkatz, which instantly makes them useless, since its damage is completely awful. I still use Volke anyway, since I love the guy, but it's really depressing.

Rating: 7/10 If he wasn't forced, I'd drop him for Volke in Part 4. Great for Part 1 and 3, **** endgame.

Next: Ilyana.

Ilyana is... weird. She was great in PoR, so I'd like to hope for the same in Dawn. She has exceptional bases, but her growths are pretty average, especially her disgustingly awful Speed growth of 30, which basically ensures she'll never double after promotion. Her Light affinity is bad, nothing much to say there. Nobody wants her for it. In the long run, she doesn't turn out that bad. She comes pretty close to capping everything including speed, but that has a paltry cap of 30. To further her case, she has the best availability in the game, having more playable chapters than ANYONE else.

Despite all that she has going for her, she's hindered by IS nerfing Thunder magic into the ground. It was way too good in PoR, so they nerfed the crap out of its might and hit, leaving it with only some lousy crit. She'll have unreliable hit rates for most of the game, so she's not a unit you want to every have to rely on. Further problems for her, Soren does everything she does, better. Her only upside for endgame is that Rexbolt absolutely DESTROYS in 4-E-3, and she can easily go to town on the Dragons, if she can avoid a hit. However, her spreed cap means she'll never double anything important for endgame, so she's pretty much useless.

Rating: 4/10. I don't know how a unit with so many decent qualities turns out to be this mediocre. She's basically just a slower Micaiah with worse tome type. At least she isn't forced. Plus, she was WAY cuter in PoR. :chuckle:

Next up is Aran.

Aran has one job. BE IN THE WAY. And suffice it to say, he does it well. With his ridiculous Strength, Skill and Defense growths, he's a wall that rarely misses on a HARD counter-attack. Unfortunately, he's also a wall that gets doubled. Fortunately for him, his growths mean he's a great BEXP candidate. However, Thunder affinity is only decent for him, and other combat like Jill, Nolan, Sothe and Zihark just have better claim to the experience than he does.

Keep him around to serve his purpose in Part 1 and 3, but bench him for endgame. Nephenee gets all of Part 2 to herself, and since Aran is on an EXP starved team, he's not worth the investment for mediocre return, considering how amazing Nephenee is. At least he's better than Danved.

Rating: 5/10 Serves his purpose, nothing more.

.... Meg.

I pretty much feel like I do about Family Guy's Meg, in this case. Nobody likes you, go away.

I honestly don't know what IS was thinking on this one. They give you a LEVEL THREE Armor Knight in a chapter where almost everything doubles her, and then the entire rest of Part 1 is high mobility chapters. Everything else about her doesn't even matter, since she'll never make it that far. She's basically IMPOSSIBLE to use in Part 1, and Marshalls are unfortunately awful as a class anyway.

Rating: 0.5/10, since her only use is blocking a ledge in 3-13. :urg: I DON'T EVEN FIELD HER IN HER JOINING CHAPTER, SINCE AN EMPTY SPOT IS LESS LIABILITY THAN SHE IS.

next up: the DB's token black gu-.... I mean, Laguz.

Volug is a godsend for Part 1. He has the durability to be like your man if he used Old Spice, and he runs like HE IS A HORSE. He has Earth affinity, his Wildheart means he does enough damage to soften, but not completely **** everything, and you can take it off in Part 3 if you want to actually use him.

Unfortunately, he is absolute garbage after Part 3, since Nailah completely eclipses him in every way possible. Instant god-mode stats, Formshift, SS Strike, there's absolutely no reason Volug should ever go to Endgame.

Ranking: 9/10 for when he's needed, 1/10 for Endgame.

Tauroneo.....

is around for like, 2 chapters. He's an awesome wall when you have him, but he just straight up bails, and he's useless by the time you can use him again. And Marshalls are awful. Take his Resolve immediately, give it to Nolan or Jill, then dump the guy, he's useless.

Rating: 3/10. BLOCK LEDGES FOR ME, YOU USELESS CLOD.

Jill is another God tier unit.

She has a bit of a shaky start, but as soon as her growths get her up to speed, she ***** even Haar. If you bring her a PoR transfer (Str, Speed, SKill, Def is doable), she will be everything you ever wanted, and SHE FLIES. High mobility, and she uses Axes, which are by and large the best weapon in the game, no question. Her Thunder affinity is decent, and she is one of three units on the DB who DESERVE EXP. (Jill, Nolan and Zihark. Micaiah and Sothe only get it because they're forced.)

End-game she completely destroys, capping almost everything. Prime candidate for Urvan, if you don't give it to Haar (I usually give him a Brave Axe or a Forged Silver, he doesn't have the speed to use urvan right.)

Rating: 9/10. Only slightly less awesome than Nolan due to the shaky start.

Zihark.

Also pretty easy.

• Comes RNG Proof
  • Amazing Bases
  • Good Growths
  • Earth Affinity
  • Instantly Usable
  • Durable thanks to great avoid and decent HP.
  • Transfer Plausible (Str, Speed, Skill)
He's only slightly less awesome than Mia. I use both Mia and Zihark, with the Vague Katti for 'hark, and Alondite for Mia.

Rating: 8.5/10. Third best unit on the DB.

Here's another unfortunate misfit.

Fiona. She'd be good, if she showed up 3 chapters ago. Instead, she shows up underleveled on an team that has no spot for her, since she's an "Awful bases, good growths" type. Her Earth affinity is pretty meh due to late join time and her other problems, so she usually just ends up benched. I give her Imbue and Savior scrolls to someone else, and let her talk to Meg for every chapter.

Rating: 2.5/10. Ledge Blocker. Why didn't you show up in 1-4?!

Tormod, Vika, and Muarim I will do all in one fell swoop.

You're here for three chapters where you aren't needed, then you DISAPPEAR UNTIL 4-4. WHAT THE ****, GET OUT, I HATE YOU.

Rating: Danved/9001. You're never here.

Nailah.

Makes the Swamp and 1-E a complete joke, then disappears until basically endgame. But THAT'S OK, SHE'S ALREADY a god, bring her to End-game anyway.

Rating: 9/10, Laguz Royals are really over-powered.

Rafiel.

If we didn't have Laguz gems for Reyson, you would be a real baller. Instead, you're hampered by move and lack of Canto.

I don't rate Herons on /10, since they're unique and you only get one, so I award Rafiel the second place award. Better than Leanne, worse than Reyson.

Black Knight.

Pizza out of Donair Sauce.

It's 3:20 AM, and I just rated the entire Dawn Brigade.

Final Verdict: Sothe and Micaiah since they're forced, Nolan, Zihark, Jill, and Volug/Nailah (Volug for 1 and 3, Nailah for Endgame)

I'll be here all year, will do the Greil Mercs and Crimean Knights if requested.
Good post. I will try the strat later. :) Btw, I agree that Aran is not better than Nephenee. His spd growth is just WAY too bad. Jill I dont agree with, but I can see why she would be better for endgame than Haar (more res and speed for the magic only last 2 chapters)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
o.0

Dayum.

Well, most of it looks pretty good to me, but there are a few things I (strongly) disagree with.

HRRKKK, TLM, WHY DID YOU QUOTE MY BEHEMOTH?!

As for Jill vs. Haar and Aran vs. Nephenee, I was hoping someone would disagree. I'll debate this out with you.

Ok, as for Jill vs. Haar:

rofl

Nobody ***** Haar. I'm sorry, but it doesn't happen. Haar is a much more solid unit throughout the game for many reasons; not only does he come in nearly a whole tier higher than her, but he is available for MORE chapters than Jill is. Jill absolutely will not make up the difference in levels by the time Part 4 rolls around; she'll be lucky to reach the teens in tier 2, while Haar will almost certainly be in tier 3. Even if she somehow gains enough Exp to catch up to him, she doesn't wreck him at all; she may cap more things than Haar does at 20/20/20, but Haar has arguably better caps for the endgame anyway. She may have better Spd, Lck, and Res, but Haar has better HP, Str, and Def. Lck is lulzy, Jill's Res lead is offset by Haar's HP and Def, and the endgame enemies are generally on the slower side anyway, so the Spd difference isn't all that significant.

You can argue Jill to be on par with Haar, even though I firmly believe Haar is greatly superior, but I will never be convinced that Jill is the better unit. =3
Ok, ***** was probably a bit over-kill, but she is most certainly ON par with Haar, and she beats him solidly in end-game for a few very important reasons.

First we'll look at their availability and their roles within their team. For Part 1, Jill is doing a lot of leg-work on the DB. The fact that she flies means 1-6-1 and 1-6-2 are great chapters for her. 1-7 she's slightly limited by flight penalty, but still great. 3-6 she's an excellent hit and run, and at this point she's around 20/4, so her defenses aren't too bad with an average of 18.15. That's 5 less than 20/4 Aran, but I don't think he reaches that easily since he isn't doubling and is pretty poor offensively due to bad speed. His speed is at least 4 lower than hers, which puts him at risk of being doubled. Cats certainly, and MAYBE some of the faster tigers. 20/4 Aran also only has a 4 HP lead on 20/4 Jill, and since he's doubled, that's magnified even more. Yes, he can take can a hit, but you have to heal him every turn, and he can't be attacked by more than 1 enemy, without being healed, or he'll probably die.

So, minor Aran tangent aside, Jill serves just as much defensively on her team as Haar does. Haar is only around for 2-P and 2-E, which he is godlike in, I'll admit. He handles the left staircase in 2-E by himself every time I do that chapter. 2-P is basically a joke chapter, and he'll probably gain only one level, maybe 2.

For Part 3, Jill is obviously restricted to 3-6, 3-12. and 3-13 if she stays on the DB. However, she isn't really NEEDED for hit and run on 3-12 and 3-13, since they're extremely defense-oriented chapters based on brick-walling. I recruit her to the Greil mercs in 3-7, so she gets 3-7, 3-8, 3-10, 3-11, and 3-F to catch up, and Zihark and Nolan handle the Dawn Brigade in her absence. In addition, this gives me time to build her support with Haar for Part 4, since I usually pair them up for Micaiah's team, they're a godsend in the Desert chapter in Part 4. Haar still gets 3-2 through 3-5 on her, but she has more than adequate time to catch up, and since she hits her Tier 2 caps starting around 3-9, she's a prime BEXP candidate. Recruit her to the mercs, give her a few levels of BEXP, and she's on par with Haar before long.

So, providing Jill is used as I mentioned, her mid-game is actually pretty on par with Haar's, he only gets a few extra chapters. Come End-game they're roughly equal in performance through to 4-E-3, but then Haar runs into a real problem with his speed. Capping at 32 means he can't double ANYTHING in 4-E-4 onwards, and if he doesn't cap, he risks getting doubled by Ashera if attacked directly. Even at 20/20/20 he only reaches 30.4, which is NOT fast enough for endgame.

Comparing the two at 20/20/20 we see that Haar only has an HP lead of 6.4, and a Def lead of 2 (Since Jill can BEXP once she caps everything else). This is further mitigated by the fact that he's getting doubled in some cases, and has NO hope of doubling himself. Jill only loses in Strength by 3 Due to her cap, but she's doubling everything except for a direct attack on Ashera, who has 32 AS. Offensively AND Defensively, Jill wins out in Endgame. So, that speed difference IS pretty significant. IMO, speed is probably the most important stat in thsi game, since it's completely central to both attack AND defensive capability.

All this said, I always use both Jill and Haar, because they're both amazing units. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have said she ***** him, but she is certainly no pushover, and beats him during endgame. I would argue her to be EQUAL at worst, if not slightly better.

I'm going to do Aran vs. Neph inside the quotation in red, since I feel like addressing it more on a by-statement basis.

Furthermore, I think you've underrated Aran quite a bit, especially considering this is all about Hard mode. If there's anything Micaiah's group needs throughout their existance, it's a wall that can take blows and plug up the abundant bottlenecks they see, and there is NOBODY that does that better than Aran in part 3.

This I disagree with immediately. Come 3-6, Aran should be blocking the east bottleneck with Jill & Volug, and he basically HAS to have Laura as a dedicated healer, since his avoid is awful, while Jill can enjoy the Earth with Volug. Meanwhile, Zihark and Nolan steadily plow through the North exit, taking their Eart/Earth support and demolishing everything in their path, so long as you pay attention to biorhythm and don't over extend the two. Zihark and NOlan usually finish this chapter around level 9 in second tier for me, with Nolan taking the bulk of the exp. Give him Beastfoe and Tarvos and he completely steamrolls 3-6 and 3-13, one-shotting the cats and some of the tigers. So, 3-6 Aran is used as a wall. 3-12 Aran is not suited as a wall, since Zihark and Nolan (again) handle the bottom section together. The two of them can block it easily, and Aran is better used defending the top from the peg knights or blocking ledges. 3-13 ZiharkxNolan is STILL steamrolling everything, so he's AT MOST a single blocker. This is, in my opinion, Aran's biggest flaw. His lack of speed means he can really only take attacks from 1, MAYBE 2 enemies on the enemy phase. Unlike Zihark and Nolan, who can take entire clusters together, he's getting very little EXP on the enemy phase, and for a long time, remains under-leveled. Even Tauroneo blocks as well as he does in 3-12 and 3-13. As far as I'm concerned for his Part 1 and 3 performance, he serves his purpose, nothing more.

His lack of Spd and less than stellar base Str means he requires some patience to raise, but his good survivability keeps him out of danger even early on. I disagree with your list of units that deserves Exp more than Aran, at least for Part 1; Sothe and Zihark don't have much to gain by taking the Exp because of how overleveled they are, and should mainly be used for weakening enemies for the good tier 1 units (IMO Nolan, Jill, Aran, and Micaiah because she's manditory) to finish off. I can easily get the first 3 units to tier 2 and Micaiah to level 20 by the end of Part one, and Sothe/Zihark will have gained a couple levels each by this point as well.

This is a fair point, I'll give this to you. However, I usually prefer to have a beefier Jill and Nolan, than waste time with Aran.

Part 3 is where Aran really shines. Fortunately for him, the fact the enemies in the Dawn Brigade's first appearence in Part 3 are either Cats or Tigers means that any given unit will either DA him, though doing very little damage, or will take out a decent chunk of HP, but will never double him. This makes him very useful, though if raised properly and with proper use of chokepoints, the entire team should be doing well here; Zihark's a glass cannon, Nolan has good (but not great) offense and defense, Jill is amazing for hit-and-run, and Aran rounds that group out by tanking. Sothe and Micaiah work moderately well together, but it's the previous 4 that will be doing most of the work, and Aran is an important contributer to that. Nolan + Tarvos is good defensively with his great HP, but the threat of breaking Tarvos limits that use, even if only by a little bit. Jill has okay Def, but Aran far outstrips it. Zihark relies heavily on his evasion to survive, and even with his beastly Nolan support, it isn't anywhere near reliable enough. Because of Aran's role, he should be taking the most hits on Enemy phases, so he gets a lot of Exp that way. This trend continues for the rest of part 3, and since he cap rams all three of his strong stats extremely quickly, he has BEXP to improve his weaker points, especially HP and Spd. By the time 3-13 comes around, he should be more than ready to be thrown at the laguz with little to no fear, as the cats and hawks barely scratch him with his capped Def. Tigers will be a bit of a threat, but with good BEXP use, it's not unrealistic to expect him to be doubling them by this point.

See above, and my Jill section. He is basically eclipsed in terms of usefulness by ZiharkxNolan.

As for endgame, I wouldn't say Nephenee beats him. Stat-wise, by Part 4, the fact that Aran has 12 levels on average to abuse BEXP before tier 3 usually makes up at least partially for the fact the Neph will have the level lead. It's worth noting that even Lvl. 1 Sentinal Nephenee won't have quite as much Str and Def as Lvl. 8 Halberdier Aran. =P Aran winds up being the stronger, sturdier Sentinal, while Nephenee is the faster one with better resistance to magic. They both perform solidly in the end-game.

Aran's bexp use helps him, certainly, but what you might be forgetting is what Neph gets to BEXP from --/11 to --/20, since she'll have skill, speed and res all capped by then. This means she's highly likely to cap Strength, which marginalizes the lead Aran has by ramming his cap of 28 super early. This also means she gets to cap Defense with BEXP, so Aran's lead in that category is again, marginalized, and she has most of Part 2, and almost all of Part 3 to level.

So, thanks to BEXP, Neph will INDEED have almost as much Str and Def as Aran at 20/20/1. Aran hits his caps earlier, but it doesn't really help him in the long run, since Neph has the speed to double using a Steel Greatlance, and he doesn't.

If we're gonna bring PEMN into it, my last Neph capped EVERYTHING, so, yeah. On top of that, her caps are only 1 less in Str and Def, while she has the edge slightly in speed, DESTROYS him in res, and is marginally better everywhere except Hp. She has a better claim to the Wishblade than he does, if only because she requires a lot less patience to use. Oh yeah, and Neph has Innate Wrath. Suck on that, Aran. Wrath + Resolve means she'll destroy everything in her path, or you can give her Imbue to take advantage of her ******** magic growth. 20 free healing every turn means she's a SELF-HEALING tank that DOUBLES AND WALLS, AND DESTROYS EVERYTHING. :laugh:

I also think that Aran/Jill make a very good support team. Double thunder gives them both good Def and Avo, which gives Jill a solid boost while strengthening Aran's defensiveness even further. =]

tl;dr - Aran >>> 5/10, and Jill does not **** Haar.

I didn't want to write a wall of text for that, but Aran has been way too amazing for me in the past for me to watch him be tossed aside as a mediocre unit. </3 I know personal experience = fail, but the numbers back it all up IMO.

Jill doesn't want Aran, Jill wants Volug. Aran is always stuck in one spot, so Jill gets no benefit from his support when she's doing hit and runs. Volug has the mobility to keep up in Part 1, and is just as good defensively for 3-6, then I usually switch Jill over to the Mercs. At this point I usually support Volug and Aran just to make him a LITTLE more durable, since neither of them go to endgame with me anyway.

Aran isn't a BAD unit, but he certainly isn't stellar considering the effort required to use him, and the amazingness of some of the other DB units.

He serves his purpose adequately, then he rides the bench. He's just not end-game material.

Thus, 5/10.

Also, I should emphasize that there is RARELY such thing as Tl;Dr for me, especially when it comes to Fire Emblem. I'll also add a very important disclaimer, which is that I'm not basing my opinions on doing a low-turn count run, but instead on clearing hard mode in the EASIEST way possible, not the most efficient.

:085:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
So, minor Aran tangent aside, Jill serves just as much defensively on her team as Haar does. Haar is only around for 2-P and 2-E, which he is godlike in, I'll admit. He handles the left staircase in 2-E by himself every time I do that chapter. 2-P is basically a joke chapter, and he'll probably gain only one level, maybe 2.
The key difference between Jill and Haar pre-endgame is that Jill does needs to be raised to be good. Haar is the guy everybody wants to be like, especially in Part 2. :embarrass I also think you're overrating Jill's defensive ability quite a bit; she's fast, but her Def is nothing special, and her HP isn't that great either. Nolan w/ Tarvos has a large HP advantage over her, while Aran has the gaping Def lead; Jill's usefulness comes mainly from her speed and flying utility. Meanwhile, Haar is easily the best defensive unit in part 2 (Mordecai is better when transformed, but the fact that he has to worry about his transformation gauge along with his inability to counter-attack long range attacks hurts him), and Haar still stands out as the best defensive unit in the GM, which is saying something.

Even at 20/20/20 he only reaches 30.4
This assumes Haar gets no BEXP. He has 4 levels with Str/Skl/Def all capped, which gives him enough time to cap his Spd as well at 32.

That's about all I have to say about Haar vs. Jill. I never actually considered the idea of moving Jill to the GM, and I can see how that would allow her to compare to Haar in Part 4, though I would never consider taking a good unit AWAY from Micaiah's group in Part 3. :laugh:

Cats certainly, and MAYBE some of the faster tigers.
Even my RNG screwed Aran has never been at risk of being doubled by a tiger. =3

Yes, he can take can a hit, but you have to heal him every turn, and he can't be attacked by more than 1 enemy, without being healed, or he'll probably die.
I'd say "can't be attacked by more than 1 tiger" would be a lot more accurate. Despite being doubled by cats, he could probably be attacked by at least 3 or 4 of them in one turn and still be fine because of how little damage they do per attack. I don't think anybody will be surviving more than one attack from a tiger anyway; even Nolan with Tarvos is cutting it really close.

I'm going to do Aran vs. Neph inside the quotation in red, since I feel like addressing it more on a by-statement basis.
That makes it harder for me to quote. =[

I wrote a bunch of stuff on Aran vs. Neph, but I clicked Back on the Smashboards tab instead of the Serenes Forest tab by accident while checking average stats. >.> I honestly don't care enough to write it all again, but the gist of it was that I suspect the main reason we feel so differently about Aran is because we use him (and the Dawn Brigade in general) in different ways. I was just about to say that Aran is just as likely to cap Spd at 20/20 as Neph is to cap Str and Def at 20/20; that's what I was double checking when I deleted a bunch of my post. His Spd on average is one point further off his cap than Neph's Def is from her cap, and is actually less than a point further than Neph's Str from her cap, and he has 4 more levels to do it (Aran caps 3 stats at lvl 8; Neph does the same at lvl 12).

As far as endgame goes, both of them capped every important stat for me IIRC. Aran was marginally better for helping to wall physical units in 4-E-1 and 4-E-2, and Nephenee was better for fighting the spirits. Simple as that. Yay personal experience? =P The most significant thing that gives Neph the edge over Aran in Part 4 is her free Wrath IMO.

For supports...honestly, I just didn't use Volug, LOL. Though, the way I applied my bottlenecking strategies, especially in Part 3, meant Jill and Aran were almost always within support range anyway, and I didn't often have to go out of my way to make it happen. I love the idea of giving my tank a Thunder/Thunder support, and it didn't take much for me to make it work.

As far as I'm concerned, Aran is well worth the effort; he probably just fits my playstyle better than he fits yours. Though I believe that Aran does more for the DB than Neph does for the GM, I accept that Aran is probably overall inferior (especially with data transfer), if only because he relies on BEXP more than Neph does.

Also, I have little disclaimer of my own. =P I actually hate debating. Despise it. The only reason I'm typing all this is because I really like discussing Fire Emblem. My internet activity began on Fire Emblem forums, and it's been quite a while since I've talked about FE or even played the games, so this is a nice revisit for me. I've more or less been approaching this as I would a casual conversation with a friend IRL, trying to convince them to give Aran a shot. =3

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The key difference between Jill and Haar pre-endgame is that Jill does needs to be raised to be good. Haar is the guy everybody wants to be like, especially in Part 2. :embarrass I also think you're overrating Jill's defensive ability quite a bit; she's fast, but her Def is nothing special, and her HP isn't that great either. Nolan w/ Tarvos has a large HP advantage over her, while Aran has the gaping Def lead; Jill's usefulness comes mainly from her speed and flying utility. Meanwhile, Haar is easily the best defensive unit in part 2 (Mordecai is better when transformed, but the fact that he has to worry about his transformation gauge along with his inability to counter-attack long range attacks hurts him), and Haar still stands out as the best defensive unit in the GM, which is saying something.

This assumes Haar gets no BEXP. He has 4 levels with Str/Skl/Def all capped, which gives him enough time to cap his Spd as well at 32.

That's about all I have to say about Haar vs. Jill. I never actually considered the idea of moving Jill to the GM, and I can see how that would allow her to compare to Haar in Part 4, though I would never consider taking a good unit AWAY from Micaiah's group in Part 3. :laugh:

Even my RNG screwed Aran has never been at risk of being doubled by a tiger. =3

I'd say "can't be attacked by more than 1 tiger" would be a lot more accurate. Despite being doubled by cats, he could probably be attacked by at least 3 or 4 of them in one turn and still be fine because of how little damage they do per attack. I don't think anybody will be surviving more than one attack from a tiger anyway; even Nolan with Tarvos is cutting it really close.

That makes it harder for me to quote. =[

I wrote a bunch of stuff on Aran vs. Neph, but I clicked Back on the Smashboards tab instead of the Serenes Forest tab by accident while checking average stats. >.> I honestly don't care enough to write it all again, but the gist of it was that I suspect the main reason we feel so differently about Aran is because we use him (and the Dawn Brigade in general) in different ways. I was just about to say that Aran is just as likely to cap Spd at 20/20 as Neph is to cap Str and Def at 20/20; that's what I was double checking when I deleted a bunch of my post. His Spd on average is one point further off his cap than Neph's Def is from her cap, and is actually less than a point further than Neph's Str from her cap, and he has 4 more levels to do it (Aran caps 3 stats at lvl 8; Neph does the same at lvl 12).

As far as endgame goes, both of them capped every important stat for me IIRC. Aran was marginally better for helping to wall physical units in 4-E-1 and 4-E-2, and Nephenee was better for fighting the spirits. Simple as that. Yay personal experience? =P The most significant thing that gives Neph the edge over Aran in Part 4 is her free Wrath IMO.

For supports...honestly, I just didn't use Volug, LOL. Though, the way I applied my bottlenecking strategies, especially in Part 3, meant Jill and Aran were almost always within support range anyway, and I didn't often have to go out of my way to make it happen. I love the idea of giving my tank a Thunder/Thunder support, and it didn't take much for me to make it work.

As far as I'm concerned, Aran is well worth the effort; he probably just fits my playstyle better than he fits yours. Though I believe that Aran does more for the DB than Neph does for the GM, I accept that Aran is probably overall inferior (especially with data transfer), if only because he relies on BEXP more than Neph does.

Also, I have little disclaimer of my own. =P I actually hate debating. Despise it. The only reason I'm typing all this is because I really like discussing Fire Emblem. My internet activity began on Fire Emblem forums, and it's been quite a while since I've talked about FE or even played the games, so this is a nice revisit for me. I've more or less been approaching this as I would a casual conversation with a friend IRL, trying to convince them to give Aran a shot. =3

Alright, I'll give you your points on Haar. They're both awesome, but I just really like using Jill. ~_~

As for Micaiah's group needing Jill..... she isn't really THAT needed for 3-12 and 3-13.

3-12 she's just doing standard hit and run, but she can't really do anything special, and she might spend a lot of time on the Peg Knights.

3-13 NolanxZihark is too fun for steamrolling everything, and Sothe and Aran can handle blocking other spots, with Leo blicking the hawks with Lugh.

If you paragon her for 3-6 she can also earn a stupid amount of xp, but then you lose the paragon win on Nolan or another unit, and it goes to the GM on the next chapter if you recruit her. (They don't REALLY need it, but it is nice.)

Also, one thing I forgot about with all this. There is PAINFULLY little Bexp to go around in Hard mode, and since the DB is super limited by their amount of chapters, Aran has almost NO claim to it.

Meanwhile, on the Greil mercs, Neph has GREAT claim to it, since the amount of chapters means you can slow-play her in Part 3. If you're not familiar with it, that's when you get almost all of a level's exp from the chapter (like 90+), then feed her the remaining 10 exp using BEXP. She gets the benefit of the BEXP level, at a mere fraction of the cost. This is only plausible due to how many **** chapters she's in with the Mercs.

As for Aran vs. Neph, I can agree with our difference in team philosophy. The main beef I have with Aran is that he's an OK unit on a team with 3 other GREAT units, 2 forced units, and not enouigh EXP to go around. He requires a pretty absurd amount of babying if you want to keep him up to par. Meanwhile Neph is one of the lower-level units on the Mercs, so she can level up quite easily with out taking much away from the team. I find her a lot easier to use.

Since we're also shifting it more to friendly conversation mode: Sexy Legs > Aran's personality of a brick. :p

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Alright, I'll give you your points on Haar. They're both awesome, but I just really like using Jill. ~_~

As for Micaiah's group needing Jill..... she isn't really THAT needed for 3-12 and 3-13.

3-12 she's just doing standard hit and run, but she can't really do anything special, and she might spend a lot of time on the Peg Knights.

3-13 NolanxZihark is too fun for steamrolling everything, and Sothe and Aran can handle blocking other spots, with Leo blicking the hawks with Lugh.
I see your point. She isn't amazing for either of those chapters, although I do like having her fly over walls and stuff to weaken enemies without putting herself at risk in 3-13. She's also a great mobile wall (not in the sense of a good defensive unit, but more the way she blocks off enemies so they can't get through =P) when Hawks threaten to fly over walls and KO my roadblocks. I personally wouldn't see myself using her a whole lot in the GM anyway with Haar there. B|

If you paragon her for 3-6 she can also earn a stupid amount of xp, but then you lose the paragon win on Nolan or another unit, and it goes to the GM on the next chapter if you recruit her. (They don't REALLY need it, but it is nice.)
Anybody gains a stupid amount of Exp in 3-6 if you give them Paragon. =P I certainly wouldn't give it to Jill if I were to swap her over the the GM, simply because the DB need it a hell of a lot more than the Mercs do.

If you're not familiar with it, that's when you get almost all of a level's exp from the chapter (like 90+), then feed her the remaining 10 exp using BEXP. She gets the benefit of the BEXP level, at a mere fraction of the cost.
Not only am I familiar with it; I shamelessly w**** this out all the time. =] I will literally do all that I can to prevent a unit in a BEXPable position from leveling up once they reach 95+ EXP. I do it every single time, and I always try and get as many BEXPable units to 90+ at the end of a chapter as possible. This is especially true in later GM chapters, since there are A LOT of BEXPable units, and the chapters are easy enough that I can do this without ever having to worry about putting the overall mission in danger. I never have a problem with BEXP availability because I'm so meticulous about this, so Aran is able to get plenty of that tasty BEXP benefit for me. ^.^

As for Aran vs. Neph, I can agree with our difference in team philosophy. The main beef I have with Aran is that he's an OK unit on a team with 3 other GREAT units, 2 forced units, and not enouigh EXP to go around. He requires a pretty absurd amount of babying if you want to keep him up to par. Meanwhile Neph is one of the lower-level units on the Mercs, so she can level up quite easily with out taking much away from the team. I find her a lot easier to use.
I've never found Aran to require an absurd amount of babying; for me at least, his good Def is as asset to the team from the get-go. I actually feel like I baby Neph more than I do Aran, because she's one of the lowest-leveled units in the GM and she has to play catch-up with units like Ike, Gatrie, Shinon, and Haar. But, to each his own, I guess.

Since we're also shifting it more to friendly conversation mode: Sexy Legs > Aran's personality of a brick. :p
Yeah, have fun with your pixels. :embarrass Aran may not have much of a personality, but he was a vital part of a very memorable base conversation that poked fun of the absurdity of status-afflicting staves for the only time I am aware of in Fire Emblem history. Nephenee has what, a southern accent? Pfft.

Also, Aran has cool-looking hair. Neph's entire head is covered by a helmet at all times. >.>

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I see your point. She isn't amazing for either of those chapters, although I do like having her fly over walls and stuff to weaken enemies without putting herself at risk in 3-13. She's also a great mobile wall (not in the sense of a good defensive unit, but more the way she blocks off enemies so they can't get through =P) when Hawks threaten to fly over walls and KO my roadblocks. I personally wouldn't see myself using her a whole lot in the GM anyway with Haar there. B|
Like I said, I use the two together as a mobile **** squad. :p

Anybody gains a stupid amount of Exp in 3-6 if you give them Paragon. =P I certainly wouldn't give it to Jill if I were to swap her over the the GM, simply because the DB need it a hell of a lot more than the Mercs do.
Nah, I'm talking like, STUPID GOOD. Like, 20/2 to 20/17 good. But yes, the DB needs Paragon more, so I only use it on Jill if I decide to keep her with the DB. Otherwise the Nolanator gets it for 3-6, Zihark gets it for 3-12, and Nolan gets 3-13.

Also, Leo can't gain a stupid amount with Paragon, since his enemy phase is lol. Same goes for Micaiah, Laura and Edward.

Not only am I familiar with it; I shamelessly w**** this out all the time. =] I will literally do all that I can to prevent a unit in a BEXPable position from leveling up once they reach 95+ EXP. I do it every single time, and I always try and get as many BEXPable units to 90+ at the end of a chapter as possible. This is especially true in later GM chapters, since there are A LOT of BEXPable units, and the chapters are easy enough that I can do this without ever having to worry about putting the overall mission in danger. I never have a problem with BEXP availability because I'm so meticulous about this, so Aran is able to get plenty of that tasty BEXP benefit for me. ^.^
I'd rather use the BEXP on better DB units who can't be slow-played, like Nolan, but to each his own.

I've never found Aran to require an absurd amount of babying; for me at least, his good Def is as asset to the team from the get-go. I actually feel like I baby Neph more than I do Aran, because she's one of the lowest-leveled units in the GM and she has to play catch-up with units like Ike, Gatrie, Shinon, and Haar. But, to each his own, I guess.
Does your Neph have a transfer? If not, that's probably why. Transfer Neph is significantly higher tier than non-transfer, because it helps her completely avoid her somewhat rocky start. Also, Marshalls suck. I loved Gatrie in PoR, but they really gave Marshalls the **** on their caps in RD.

Yeah, have fun with your pixels. :embarrass Aran may not have much of a personality, but he was a vital part of a very memorable base conversation that poked fun of the absurdity of status-afflicting staves for the only time I am aware of in Fire Emblem history. Nephenee has what, a southern accent? Pfft.

Also, Aran has cool-looking hair. Neph's entire head is covered by a helmet at all times. >.>

I'll give you the base conversation, but that is ALL the personality Aran has. Neph has all of Part 2 to be awesome and involved, and she has clear and obvious lesbian attracting powers seen from Heather. Big bonus points there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0vwYFX9Q4

Yeah, Aran has some pretty nice hair there, right? At least Neph's sticks out of her helmet. :p

Kintenbo

Smash Cadet
Hmm? A Nephenee vs. Aran debate? As much as I'd love to jump in and say "naw, Danved is pretty amazing", in terms of usefulness, I'd give it to Aran. Aran is amongst those who need a durable character, while Nephenee is amongst mighty folk who don't need that much help. Nephenee will likely outrank the fellow by endgame, but that doesn't mean much. Being a team player means more than having pure stats, if you ask me.

That said, who all is literally quivering in excitement over the upcoming remake for Fire Emblem 3? Oh man, I just hope they don't screw up awesome folk like Sirius!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm not really hyped for it yet, but that's because I'm moderately irked by the fact that the male custom characters can't be myrmidons. What is THAT nonsense?!

Also, on Endgame vs. Mid-game, you have SOMEWHAT of a point, but Neph is just as important to Part 2 as Aran is to Part 1. Aran is pretty awful in his join chapter, and his sub-par bases don't really help him. As far as I'm concerned, the DB doesn't need the guy. The Greil mercs don't need Neph either, but the CRK's do, and Neph is better than Aran for endgame, so I don't waste time with him when I could be giving that precious, precious experience to Nolan, Zihark, or Jill.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Also, Leo can't gain a stupid amount with Paragon, since his enemy phase is lol. Same goes for Micaiah, Laura and Edward.
Ha, that's true. I usually give it to Micaiah though, simply because she'll fall way too far behind without it. She essentially gains a level every time she KOs an enemy, which isn't bad IMO. =3

Does your Neph have a transfer? If not, that's probably why. Transfer Neph is significantly higher tier than non-transfer, because it helps her completely avoid her somewhat rocky start. Also, Marshalls suck. I loved Gatrie in PoR, but they really gave Marshalls the **** on their caps in RD.
I do have her with transfer bonuses; in fact, I think I may have Def in addition to Str/Skl/Spd. The Str/Spd combination is amazing in part 2. =]

Gatrie's bases were the deciding factor for me, and his growths are pretty good to (his Spd growth is lolamazing for an Armour unit). His offense gets to be pretty bad endgame, but he's a reliable unit for most of the game he's in, so it doesn't bother me much.

I'll give you the base conversation, but that is ALL the personality Aran has. Neph has all of Part 2 to be awesome and involved, and she has clear and obvious lesbian attracting powers seen from Heather. Big bonus points there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0vwYFX9Q4

Yeah, Aran has some pretty nice hair there, right? At least Neph's sticks out of her helmet. :p
Heather is clearly attracted to just about every female she is seen to interact with in the game. =P She gets torn up over being unable to meet Elincia, and runs off to collect food just to make Ilyana smile. (B'awwww) Neph doesn't get any credit for that. :embarrass

Since when do battle animations even matter? I don't even play with those. =3

@ above posts:

Personally, I would have greatly preferred a new game over a second remake. I'm not holding my breath for this one. :x

Aran's bases are decent. Nothing special, but decent, which is actually very good compared to the majority of the DB at the time.

The CRK don't need Nephenee; they need Haar. B|

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ha, that's true. I usually give it to Micaiah though, simply because she'll fall way too far behind without it. She essentially gains a level every time she KOs an enemy, which isn't bad IMO. =3
Nolan or Zhiark gaining 3 levels every enemy phase is better. :p

I do have her with transfer bonuses; in fact, I think I may have Def in addition to Str/Skl/Spd. The Str/Spd combination is amazing in part 2. =]

Gatrie's bases were the deciding factor for me, and his growths are pretty good to (his Spd growth is lolamazing for an Armour unit). His offense gets to be pretty bad endgame, but he's a reliable unit for most of the game he's in, so it doesn't bother me much.
I used Gatrie my first playthrough, and I agree that his bases and everything are great. If Marshalls had better caps, I'd use him, but they don't.

Heather is clearly attracted to just about every female she is seen to interact with in the game. =P She gets torn up over being unable to meet Elincia, and runs off to collect food just to make Ilyana smile. (B'awwww) Neph doesn't get any credit for that. :embarrass

Neph is clearly the most awesome though. :p

Since when do battle animations even matter? I don't even play with those. =3

For shaaaaaame.

@ above posts:

Personally, I would have greatly preferred a new game over a second remake. I'm not holding my breath for this one. :x

Aran's bases are decent. Nothing special, but decent, which is actually very good compared to the majority of the DB at the time.

The CRK don't need Nephenee; they need Haar. B|
Haar carries 2-P and 2-E, Neph carries 2-1 and 2-2 (Since Lucia is total Jeigan), Geoffrey and Kieran carry 2-3. Neph is just as important as Haar to the CRK's, especially since she's also a great contributor in 2-E.

:085:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Nolan or Zhiark gaining 3 levels every enemy phase is better. :p
Probably.

I used Gatrie my first playthrough, and I agree that his bases and everything are great. If Marshalls had better caps, I'd use him, but they don't.
Sigh. This game is ridiculously reliant on caps. <=/

Neph is clearly the most awesome though. :p
pfft

For shaaaaaame.
Hey, I have my reasons. Namely, my Wii overheats and shuts off without warning after about an hour of play time (that period of time is actually getting gradually shorter >.<), so if I play with battle animations, I don't have time to finish a chapter. I can't even finish full chapters now that I'm in Part 4; I wound up playing through 4-P 3 times, and I was gradually getting worse level-ups each time I played it. =/

Haar carries 2-P and 2-E, Neph carries 2-1 and 2-2 (Since Lucia is total Jeigan), Geoffrey and Kieran carry 2-3. Neph is just as important as Haar to the CRK's, especially since she's also a great contributor in 2-E.
She carries 2-1, but her offense is not good enough to say she carries 2-2 or 2-E IMO. Lucia carries 2-2; being the Jeigan does not keep her from carrying it, especially since the definition of a Jeigan is a unit that carries early chapters. =P Nephenee isn't all that great in 2-E; her Str simply isn't good enough to be a real threat to the masses of Generals that charge the gates. Unless our definitions of "carrying" are different, I don't see how Neph carries those chapters, even with transfer bonuses.

Sion

Island of Horizon
Edward is borderline useless in Hard Mode. -.- His growths are great, but his offense becomes terrible after the first couple chapters because the enemies are so much stronger and there's no weapon triangle. He can't double anything, his damage output is bad, and his defense is mediocre so leveling him up becomes nigh impossible. Aran's defenses make him amazing in Hard mode though. He can actually take hits, which enables him to get a lot more EXP than Edward ever will. I usually use both him and Nephenee in Hard Mode, but put them in different teams. Aran + Jill make a good defensive support, as well.

I looked up Aran's base stats. He starts with 10 Str at lvl 7, and he had 15 at lvl 20. So he gained 5 points of strength in 13 level-ups with a 75% growth. >.>

edward is basically borderline useless. he requires so much babying etc that he becomes unusable for the most part.

and yeah, aran is boss

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Edward is crap in Hard mode, but he's pretty easy to raise in Normal mode (and Easy mode, lol), thanks to the weaker enemies and presence of the weapon triangle. His crazy good growths can actually come into effect. His defense still isn't very good at first, but his offense is great. He only gets better as the game goes on.

Do I know you from somewhere? :lick:

Sion

Island of Horizon
i used to play normal mode cause i hated difficulties, but now i like to get into the hard mode stuff, haha. also, ilyana got nerfed sooooo hard i almost didn't play radiant dawn.

...you might know me from somewhere

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ilyana is still the best character, (in heart). I nearly always get the most kills with her because I max out her stats. XD

If they didn't make her HP lower, Speed slower, or Thunder magic the weakest then maybe she would had one of the best. But at least she's the only Thunder Mage if you need stronger thunder magic.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ilyana was one of my favorite characters in PoR. I'm so depressed that they nerfed her stats, her Thunder magic, and her cuteness level. =(

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ilyana was one of my favorite characters in PoR. I'm so depressed that they nerfed her stats, her Thunder magic, and her cuteness level. =(
Ilyana is still mad cute, what are you talking about? =P

Sadly, she had more of a roll and screen time when talking in PoR than RD. She's still my favorite character to use, just wish she was better. )=

I always used Soren in PoR so I didnt care for Illyana's nerf in RD XD.
You MONSTER!!! That's worst than letting Mia die in PoR or RD.... XD

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Maybe, the speed loss is because of the fact that she ate too much XD. Soren is amazing so no, its not like letting Mia get killed. Mia is amazing :D.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Soren isn't THAT great in PoR since that game is completely dominated by Paladins + Jill. He is still pretty awesome though.

I AM however, going to use Ilyana on my next run, since I just recently found out about the mechanics behind Blossom, which Ilyana gets a HUGE boost from due to most of her growths being in sweetspot range. (50-55 gives max benefit from Blossom) Thanks to her stupid good availability, I can actually feasibly use it, so I'm gonna give her a go next run-through.

Sion

Island of Horizon
even without blossom, i find that ilyana doesn't have that much trouble gaining good stats (speed disregarded), but i tend to use ilyana over soren anyways.

what are you guys' thought on mia and zihark? i generally like to use mia due to her stat growth, but earth support is pretty good too, so zihark seemed like the better choice.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Mia only turns out VERY slightly better than Zihark in Endgame. Both have amazing affinities. Earth is godlike for Zihark's defense, Fire means Mia makes up the difference in Strength she loses due to her caps. Adept > Vantage for innate skills. Mia gets an easy time training on the GM's. Transfers from PoR are great for both of them, especially if you can get Mia to cap strength.

In my opinion, they're both amazing units, and they both go to endgame with me. Mia gets Alondite, Zihark gets Vague Katti, everybody wins.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
There's absolutely nothing wrong with FE9 or 10. In my opinion, 10 is the best gameplay-wise so far. However, all the others you mentioned are also great.

I'm curious, what do you hate about 9 and 10?

Sion

Island of Horizon
for me it goes:

9=7 > 10 > the rest

this thread makes me want to start up a new hard mode game lol

Top Bottom