• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fireball Follow-ups

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone I am Boomer3d/Egman and I have recently picked up Luigi over the last month. One thing that I notice I do a lot that I don't see others do as much is following up on a combo with a fireball. Now I'll try to get some videos on my playing but in general it is finishing a combo with a fireball in the direction of the opponent and then being able to get a fair or something.

For example, one of the easiest setups is when you combo them on a platform on battlefield. Throw a fireball across the platform and wait for their reaction, if they tech/roll you can get a fair off on them or, if they roll should behind you can get a bair. Also if they just lay there the fireball will hit them and then you can do what you want. The one thing you need to be careful about is if they do a get up attack but as long as you wait for their reaction before going in you should be fine.

Another example is if a nair or up-smash doesn't kill. Instead of being right under them as they are following back, go to a side of them and throw a well-timed fireball. If timed right you will either hit them, or they will dodge it by moving towards you(if you time earlier then later) and you can pressure them with aerials.

Either way I will try to record some games and a tournament I'm going to Saturday to try to show better what I mean. Does anyone get what I'm saying at all or am I crazy?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I do the same thing. As soon as an opponent is too far away while I'm too high to chase during or after a combo, I'll start spamming Fireballs to keep control over them. If they avoid it, they'll be farther from center stage, and if they get hit, I've more time to get at them.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Ok cool. I don't like to say I spam it though as much as timing them. I don't fire one if I think it will miss or it won't pressure them to do anything.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Yo Boomer, me too! I'm all about stepping to the side and fire balling when Charizard is coming down from a hit.

One thing I'd like to add is, not finishing, but CONTINUING aerial combos with the fire ball. I've gotten to the point where quite often I'll fire ball at the end of a combo with the appropriate fast fall to Wave Land and do a finisher (SHORYUKEN) knowing they will later hit by that fire ball to be stun locked for the finish.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I'll usually spread them low to mid aerial to provide pressure to close gaps quick. I use them often for aerial combo extension when I hit them too far out of combo range. This usually ends up being some fireball stall to them in the air while I waveland under to set up.
The off-edge potential to fireball is ridiculous though. You can grab ledge, drop fireball regrab pretty quick. It pressures hard enough off the edge to force people into bair edge guard (the best edge guard -.-).

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I'll usually spread them low to mid aerial to provide pressure to close gaps quick. I use them often for aerial combo extension when I hit them too far out of combo range. This usually ends up being some fireball stall to them in the air while I waveland under to set up.
The off-edge potential to fireball is ridiculous though. You can grab ledge, drop fireball regrab pretty quick. It pressures hard enough off the edge to force people into bair edge guard (the best edge guard -.-).
I've never thought about dropping down to chuck out dem balls...good idea.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Guess who figured out how gfycat works. http://gfycat.com/AbleChubbyCooter
Approaching with a fireball in the air can be super rewarding, especially when you are too far away to continue a combo with aerials, because it has just enough hitstun to get you over there and finish a combo before they can react.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Guess who figured out how gfycat works. http://gfycat.com/AbleChubbyCooter
Approaching with a fireball in the air can be super rewarding, especially when you are too far away to continue a combo with aerials, because it has just enough hitstun to get you over there and finish a combo before they can react.
I love gimping recoveries with fireballs :3 You should also try bouncing the fireballs off of straight vertical walls like in YS and GHZ for mixups

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I love gimping recoveries with fireballs :3 You should also try bouncing the fireballs off of straight vertical walls like in YS and GHZ for mixups
I've noticed for matchups like Marth and Roy, if you get them with a fireball from the distance by ledge releasing and reverse fireballing, they can be stopped from having a chance to get to the ledge.

Top Bottom