• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fireball lock (It does work!)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Fireball lock (It does work!)
a further look into it's properties​

First of all let me apologize to everyone who has posted before on the subject and I have said that the speed of the fireball is to slow to lock. This is somewhat true if the opponent is far away but if your opponent is close or at a mid-distance to you it does work! Also, let me point out that I do not take credit for discovering the Fireball lock etc. I just did some testing to see if it was actually real.

It works as a regular lock would work or actually better, like Falco's laser lock would.

My testing was as follows:

Your opponent has to be in mid percentages 50% approximately to be able to successfully lock him. I might be wrong in this so I need more testers! You can help out go into training mode and see what happens.

Some characters you can't completely lock but others you can.

Also, please not that the lock stops working when the opponent gets at a larger distance.

I need to test this out more but I would like the community to know this. I apologize again to anyone who had posted that it could be a potential tech but I said that it would not work.

This was mostly because since I couldn't get it to work at low percentages I thought it was impossible.

So I hope you find uses for the fireball lock! And any questions you may have I will try to answer as accurately as I can.

First I would like to thank LilWeegi for all the testing! Read the next quote!

LilWeegi said:
im about to confirm a sure way to do it in training some time soon but i usually hit them just as the smack the ground from a fall it can be timed fairly easily also id like to add i got 8 on yoshi just now untill he fell off

EDIT i just got 11 on yoshi, i use down throw shield roll away fireball away should be mid distance is very effective nice 66% off fireballs alone**that was my original thought it works for a good 6-15 shots but to get around 20 you grab down throw dash next to them when they hit the ground on there way up on the bounce fire ball your thumb off, very effective

For the below soon to be all characters, tests were done shortly and were my highest # i achieved playing of FD they may change in levels with slopes or walls to be much higher

Last edit! yay done all characters with a decent number, you can use this in the original thread post just credit LilWeegi :-) hope i finally contributed something to the luigi community, maybe a sticky if we get this thread on use in battle and set ups to it

20 vs Mario
8 vs Luigi
6 vs peach
16 vs bowser
11 vs donkey kong
18 vs diddy kong
12 vs yoshi
20 vs wario
15 vs link
6 vs zelda/shiek
22 vs ganon
10 vs toon link
16 vs samus
10 vs pit
14 vs 2 ice climbers/ 17 vs 1 ice climber
18 vs rob
15 vs Kirby
13 vs meta knight
17 vs DDD
12 vs olimar
17 vs Captain Falcon
26 vs wolf
20 vs falco
16 vs fox
16 vs pikachu
13 vs squirtle
17 vs ivysaur
15 vs charizard
20 vs lucario
22 vs jigglypuff
10 vs lucas
12 vs ness
8 vs Ike
10 vs marth
18 vs game n watch
17 vs snake
14 vs sonic

pre testing notes etc

vs the mother boys, they are very hard to get in it for what ever reason i don't recomend trying it on them due to this fact and the fact that they have a shield to absorb your fireballs and lower their %. Against ike it can be very effective but you will either get a 1-4 ish or the full 12, he is also hard to lock. Against both peach and Zelda/Shiek don't try it, it took me several times to even get 6 very low % chance of scoring this in a match

questions comments thoughts are appreciated, hope this helps a little?

and just now testing, i found in different levels the numbers can grow expodentially, i just tried out kirbys dream land melee stage and got 60 on bowser and he started bouncing so high a FB missed and hit a bomb and he died at 415% :p

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Question, when you mean fireball lock, you mean when they've unable to successfully tech it right?meaning it works like a semi laser lock such as falco's? Also, how did u do it? Did you set the cpu to control, stop or attack, or what action you set to it? Also did u just do like upsmash or utilt and started using fireballs?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Question, when you mean fireball lock, you mean when they've unable to successfully tech it right?meaning it works like a semi laser lock such as falco's? Also, how did u do it? Did you set the cpu to control, stop or attack, or what action you set to it? Also did u just do like upsmash or utilt and started using fireballs?
In control and my friend was helping me out DI etc. couldn't tech well until the limit that I have posted in the list. and yea it's kind of a semi laser lock. Try it out.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ 12 Hits for Wario.

This is going into my Fireball Guide once it's done. Noice job.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
So, if this works, you can do a Footstool Jump into a Fireball lock? Just wondering....
No you can't because Luigi jumps way too high to come down to ground and by that time your opponent has recovered or teched it or whatnot. But although it can work on team battles where your partner can do the footstool and you can do the fireball lock but you have to watch out for other person

offtopic: nice maple default pic lol.

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
i'll upload one soon, i got fox about 6 times before he fell off the stage into an easy edge guard... silly spacie nub

edit i just did training and got fox with 14 it racked up a nice 84 damage

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
i'll upload one soon, i got fox about 6 times before he fell off the stage into an easy edge guard... silly spacie nub

edit i just did training and got fox with 14 it racked up a nice 84 damage
Thanks for that lol, I'll link to it in the first post if you allow me to that is :D.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
So are there any good setups to actually get them on the ground for the lock? It seems like it would be rediculously situational to be that useful...?

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
im about to confirm a sure way to do it in training some time soon but i usually hit them just as the smack the ground from a fall it can be timed fairly easily also id like to add i got 8 on yoshi just now untill he fell off

EDIT i just got 11 on yoshi, i use down throw shield roll away fireball away should be mid distance is very effective nice 66% off fireballs alone**that was my original thought it works for a good 6-15 shots but to get around 20 you grab down throw dash next to them when they hit the ground on there way up on the bounce fire ball your thumb off, very effective

For the below soon to be all characters, tests were done shortly and were my highest # i achieved playing of FD they may change in levels with slopes or walls to be much higher

Last edit! yay done all characters with a decent number, you can use this in the original thread post just credit LilWeegi :-) hope i finally contributed something to the luigi community, maybe a sticky if we get this thread on use in battle and set ups to it

20 vs Mario
8 vs Luigi
6 vs peach
16 vs bowser
11 vs donkey kong
18 vs diddy kong
12 vs yoshi
20 vs wario
15 vs link
6 vs zelda/shiek
22 vs ganon
10 vs toon link
16 vs samus
10 vs pit
14 vs 2 ice climbers/ 17 vs 1 ice climber
18 vs rob
15 vs Kirby
13 vs meta knight
17 vs DDD
12 vs olimar
17 vs Captain Falcon
26 vs wolf
20 vs falco
16 vs fox
16 vs pikachu
13 vs squirtle
17 vs ivysaur
15 vs charizard
20 vs lucario
22 vs jigglypuff
10 vs lucas
12 vs ness
8 vs Ike
10 vs marth
18 vs game n watch
17 vs snake
14 vs sonic

pre testing notes etc

vs the mother boys, they are very hard to get in it for what ever reason i don't recomend trying it on them due to this fact and the fact that they have a shield to absorb your fireballs and lower their %. Against ike it can be very effective but you will either get a 1-4 ish or the full 12, he is also hard to lock. Against both peach and Zelda/Shiek don't try it, it took me several times to even get 6 very low % chance of scoring this in a match

questions comments thoughts are appreciated, hope this helps a little?

Loucan thanks for making the thread, you beat me to the punch, i first discovered this when playing a tourny of level 9's to practice a little and caught fox in it, got that on video with the match and set up etc and was waiting hoping no one else would find out untill i put together my combo video and showed it off, and i had to go threw the testing because being a true wigi main i couldn't sit back and watch the MK main take all the glory :-P

and just now testing, i found in different levels the numbers can grow expodentially, i just tried out kirbys dream land melee stage and got 60 on bowser and he started bouncing so high a FB missed and hit a bomb and he died at 415% :p

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
only problem is i don't quite have an sd card yet or my combo video would be done a while ago can i send a vid to any one via wifi? and what one do you want to see?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
LilWeegi said:
Loucan thanks for making the thread, you beat me to the punch, i first discovered this when playing a tourny of level 9's to practice a little and caught fox in it, got that on video with the match and set up etc and was waiting hoping no one else would find out untill i put together my combo video and showed it off, and i had to go threw the testing because being a true wigi main i couldn't sit back and watch the MK main take all the glory :-P
Lol no problem to make the thread. Also, I'm a Luigi/MK main! I just switch themes of sigs/avatars/icons every once in a while, you can ask a lot of the people on these boards lol. By the way if I wasn't a Luigi main, I wouldn't have done the Luigi guide, or the strat and setup discovery thread or done more testing on the semi-ftilt lock, or tested the fireball lock! Lol in other words my sigs/icons/avatars don't reflect really who I prefer playing. I have had the Wario/Luigi/Ganon/MK themes XD.

Also, a lot of thanks for the testing!

WIGI

Smash Champion
what does an sd card have to do with uplaoding videos?

there bin files..using an sd card makes no diference....

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Lol no problem to make the thread. Also, I'm a Luigi/MK main! I just switch themes of sigs/avatars/icons every once in a while, you can ask a lot of the people on these boards lol. By the way if I wasn't a Luigi main, I wouldn't have done the Luigi guide, or the strat and setup discovery thread or done more testing on the semi-ftilt lock, or tested the fireball lock! Lol in other words my sigs/icons/avatars don't reflect really who I prefer playing. I have had the Wario/Luigi/Ganon/MK themes XD.

Also, a lot of thanks for the testing!
Lol, Luigi/Mk main? That seems odd :p. Although I was going to write down a Luigi guide but not for this site but for neoseeker so we can spread that Luigi love around everywhere. How long did it take you write down that guide anyways? I'm just curious.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Lol, Luigi/Mk main? That seems odd :p. Although I was going to write down a Luigi guide but not for this site but for neoseeker so we can spread that Luigi love around everywhere. How long did it take you write down that guide anyways? I'm just curious.
you go to neoseeker?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
you go to neoseeker?
Yeaa but I only started like a week ago so I'm pretty much a newb haha xP. But I prefer to hang around the SWF boards because they have more interesting threads. On neoseeker they have their own smash brawl wiki, and hardly information is on Luigi's. So I was thinking of writing of my own.

If you wanna add me on neoseeker, the neoIGN is Checkmate =D

FuFu300

Smash Cadet
So to do this you just down throw at a lower percentage, roll to where they are, and start shooting fireballs?

This seems WAY too easy.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So to do this you just down throw at a lower percentage, roll to where they are, and start shooting fireballs?

This seems WAY too easy.
Nah that's just a setup to see the effects of the lock in training mode. Against a human opponent it would be a lot more difficult, primarily because if you just down throw even at low percentages, opponents would normally tech it with ease. As with the Laser Lock that Falco has this is situational, just catch a tech that your opponent did incorrectly. But contrasting ours, I believe that in the falco boards you have found setups for the lock correct? Here we are just starting to find what setups are basically better in order to create a successful Fireball lock.

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
i don't have a great set up for this lock yet that is just how i tested it to put up a ball park of #'s and i do have a video of me using it in a match a while ago, but the video is on my wii and i need to figure out how to get it on here or you tube

when i did it in a match i just hit the opponent after they fell and it was dumb luck but i got about 6 to 8 hits in i dont really remember but i still have the video but if some one can post a getting videos from your wii 2 computer for dumbies post i'd show you all that vid and some crappy set ups ive got now

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
marios is much different due to the speed and trajectory of the fireball i don't doubt it can be done just probably not as effective due to it slows down at the end and it has a weird path so it will more than likely be much much less effective...

update.... still in the process on making a legit set up for FB lock vs human, on verge of a big break through :-P

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it'll work as well for Mario; the hitstun, trajectory and other things make it different.

It most likely still works, but Mario just needs to play it differently, I guess.

WIGI

Smash Champion
so can someone post a video? or at least SEND me a video?

heres my brawl code il get ym wii code if needed.

also if you live near ontario il be willing to try a wifi match with you.

brawl 1633 3867 0816

HabiT

Smash Apprentice
This is so hard to get off it's nearly useless, but fun to know how to do. Me and my friend's Mario fireball locked some guy for 300 damage x.x

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
This is so hard to get off it's nearly useless, but fun to know how to do. Me and my friend's Mario fireball locked some guy for 300 damage x.x
Well think of it as a laser lock but with fireballs. Contrary to the Laser lock though, up to the moment we haven't found any useful setups that might trigger the Fireball lock as mostly you need to make your opponent hit the ground (not by tripping) and catch him before he techs in order to successfully lock him/her.

Top Bottom