• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firefox 3

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Okay guys, Firefox 3 is out now. From what I've seen, it doesn't crash as much, it actually runs fast, and has a few features that are designed to make it better in general.

Of course, these features tend to piss me off.

The one that annoys me the most is that now I can't type in all caps. No more cruise control for awesome. This Was Supposed To Be In All Caps But Now Only The First Letters Are Capitalized.

It's very annoying.

Anyway, I do like most improvements. That one just irks me though.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
do more extensions/themes support firefox 3 now? I tried out firefox 3 a while back, but when I was searching for extensions/themes many of them only supported the earlier versions =[

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS. I don't know what you're problem is.

For some reason though, it doesn't remember my passwords. =/

Ørion

Smash Ace
Are you sure its Firefox III and not the RC (Release Candidate)? I went to the website and downloaded it (It was called firefox 3), but it installed in a path under Firefox III Beta 5.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It didn't download like that for me. When I downloaded it, it downloaded to the Mozilla Firefox folder over my Firefox 2. It didn't say anything like that when I did it.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I tried FF3 out for a few minutes; it's nice that it looks sleek and all, but almost all themes/addons are incompatible.

So I'm sticking with FF2 until that changes.

Falcon PUNCH!!

Smash Rookie
I really like the new features in FF3, the new download manager is nice, as is the intellihent URL bar. The interface looks nice as well.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well I've always liked a minimalistic theme (black/white), and the standard grey is just...

Yeah. Looks ugly.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
i recently got firefox 3, but unfortunately I think I'm gonna stick to Safari. It just runs way faster than firefox, and I've never had any complaints with it...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
i recently got firefox 3, but unfortunately I think I'm gonna stick to Safari. It just runs way faster than firefox, and I've never had any complaints with it...
Safari and Opera are both faster than Firefox. FF2 was an incredibly slow browser, but it seems that FF3 improved on that.

What makes Firefox cool is how it's open source. Anybody can go and make an add-on for it.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I re-downloaded it and it went to the regular directory, it must have just gone to the beta directory because I had that already installed.\

EDIT: I actually discovered a problem with firefox 3.0, google does not work for me for some reason. Whenever I search something, it goes but then stops and at the bottom in the status bar of firefox it says "Stopped". Do any other people have the same problem or have any suggestions?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I re-downloaded it and it went to the regular directory, it must have just gone to the beta directory because I had that already installed.\

EDIT: I actually discovered a problem with firefox 3.0, google does not work for me for some reason. Whenever I search something, it goes but then stops and at the bottom in the status bar of firefox it says "Stopped". Do any other people have the same problem or have any suggestions?
I don't have that problem. Try the Mozilla forums or contacting Mozilla about that.

I would also check your add-ons to see if any of them would have something to disable that.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Ya, I thought the addons too, but I disabled everything and the problem persisted. I'll redownload it (again) and if that doesn't fix it, post in the mozilla forums. Oh well, thanks for your help.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm not going to hijack this thread by telling you how awesome Opera is...that's as far as I'm going.

That's a unique problem...I would try disabling all of the addons and seeing if the problem persists. It doesn't seem like others are sharing in your problem, so that's gotta be it. If that doesn't work, bite the bullet and uninstall/reinstall the whole thing. Use Foxymarks to sync up your bookmarks though; those can be a pain.

(For those of you who are willing to listen to my decision of Opera over FireFox, please continue reading.

It's not that Firefox 3 is bad - definitely not. It's my second browser and the things it does is really great: AdBlock is amazing and something that I miss strongly when not in Opera. Another great one is IETab or whatever it's called...that's really helpful for when Opera/FF just don't cut it. But even with these addons, it's just not enough to match how lightweight and how fuggin' quick Opera is. Not to mention that it is, as far as I have seen, the most customizable browser available.

All that being said, when I'm on Linux [Ubuntu] I use FF3, simply because it's open source and it skins with my machine. That, and Opera on Linux is more or less a joke. :-/

Thanks for reading!)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Embedded flash videos inside of FF3 might have a memory leak. Whenever I try to watch flash videos (MLG's website) the framerate drops enormously after a couple of minutes. Anything beyond a couple of minutes is intolerably choppy.

No major issues otherwise.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't seem to have a problem with embeded flash. I just went to the MLG website to watch a few videos and see if I had the same issues, but nothing happened.

Check your add-ons. Maybe you don't have the newest version of flash?

Top Bottom