• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Character

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
What was the first character you picked when you first got Brawl?

I remember picking Lucas because I liked Ness in the other games and I was excited to see what the new Earthbound character would be like.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I picked the good ol' DK. Mainly because he's my favorite video game character ever. Not sure why I didn't pick Zelda, since I used her a lot in Melee.
But I remember very well picking him. And that my friend who has never played a Smash game ever beat me with Fox.
mumblemumble

link2702

Smash Champion
pit

when i first saw his reveal i knew he was gonna be my main.

I picked him went to training and just checked out his moveset.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I picked marth, because I loved him in melee at my friend's house. And what do you know, he was high tier! But recently I've found that I'm way better at kirby than I ever was at marth.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I first began to play as Wolf because I wanted to try out a new character but eventually just went back to Sheik.

Morbi

Scavenger
The first character that I ever picked was Link back in Smash 64. He quickly became my favorite character and my definite main. However, Melee was released and.... I still picked Link first. Not on purpose, it just happened as I was excited to try my main out in Melee. He is my most played character in those games, I had something like 78,300 KOs with Link before I reset my file. After that, I still played Link daily, the number never really got that impressive again (as I reset my file another dozen or so times), but I neglected my other mains (Zelda/Sheik, Ganon, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo).

So now for the question. I got Brawl, for months I was contemplating who I would try first. I decided that I should maintain my tradition and choose Link first (this time was the only time that it was my intent). Yeah, I have ****ing hated him ever since and began maining Toon Link instead.

FIREL

Smash Ace
My First character in Brawl is Marth because of Adventure Mode... However, I switched to Luigi shortly after once I unlocked him.
Always loved Luigi's Up-B, since Smash 64 :luigi2:

D

Deleted member

Mario, but that's because he was the most balanced character. I did want to try Meta Knight first, however. When I got Brawl, my first instinct was to unlock Luigi ASAP.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
:mario2: <--- My first character used in every Smash game thus far, and will be for future games. 'Cuz I love Mario

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Mario was my definite choice once obtaining Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and has effectively changed my opinion of his strategies and approaches to previous installments as well.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Fox, mainly for him being my favorite game character in general.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
The easy answer? Fox, because its a tradition for me. The hard answer? Well, because I heard about the tier list, I thought I'd try many different characters besides Fox, which meant I didn't really have any focus at all and wound up using almost everyone, experimenting and the sort.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Link because I was a noob.
Then came Ike, then TL, then Lucas, then Marth, then back to Lucas again, then I quit (from extremely casual playing)

I came back, picked up Lucas and Ness, then from Ness, got serious. Picked up MK, quit MK, picked up TL, and now I am kiiind offf quitting Ness... I'm not as good with him as I am with TL now, but still decent enough. No one plays Ness, and so they don't expect the downward angling PK Fire when I jump in the air. :D I'd say Ness has kill moves that are very satisfying; the PKT2, backthrow, bat... yep. ESPECIALLY the bat. TL, you just camp everywhere. :c

JNewton

Smash Rookie
The first time I played Brawl, I picked Mario. I also played with Link regularly. When I started playing competitively, I picked Meta Knight. Now, I play with Marth.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
Samus. Then I got to my senses and moved to Bowser. Then Snake. Then Wolf. Then Toon Link. Then Zero Suit Samus. And now Marth.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Samus. Then I got to my senses and moved to Bowser. Then Snake. Then Wolf. Then Toon Link. Then Zero Suit Samus. And now Marth.
It seems like you've had quite a journey there.
How hard was it to switch playstyles? I'm thinking of going from Toon Link to a higher tiered character. Possibly a heavier one, like Snake, or at least a mid-weight like maybe Marth, he has a decent recovery. And he's also really annoying. So I want to be an annoying character. Kinda. Just don't want to BS everything with MK though.

Thinking of maybe Pikachu... because you can still chase people off the edge to gimp :> that's really fun. But yeah.... I guess all that will come later.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
It seems like you've had quite a journey there.
How hard was it to switch playstyles? I'm thinking of going from Toon Link to a higher tiered character. Possibly a heavier one, like Snake, or at least a mid-weight like maybe Marth, he has a decent recovery. And he's also really annoying. So I want to be an annoying character. Kinda. Just don't want to BS everything with MK though.

Thinking of maybe Pikachu... because you can still chase people off the edge to gimp :> that's really fun. But yeah.... I guess all that will come later.
Oh, it wasn't all that hard. Mostly because Samus is horrible(ZSS is cool, but hard to learn. I actually forgot how to use her so I moved to Marth). I'm good with heavyweights, but just don't do Ike. He's so bad, he's not even fun to play.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I picked Pikachu back in Melee.
...Granted this was at a time where I was awful at the game but still...

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I think it was Shiek or Fox. I wanted Snake to be my first but then I found out he was a 'secret' character so I went with one of my mains from melee

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Bowser is the only one I play - Fell in love with him as a first pick, just my kind of style - Plus I like him as a character anyways (Mario games in general), besides my preference for both villains as well as a good underdog, preference of heavy-weight characters on top of absolutely loving Bowser Slams. Works well given my restriction/inability to play people so he's good for chilling out with CPU. Tried many others since but never really gelled with them or enjoyed them, with exception to DeDeDe who is the only other one I remotely enjoy.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
When I first played Brawl I believe I played as Link first because I loved how he had his Twilight Princess look, and Zelda too. I'm pretty sure the first newcomer I chose was Pit. I wasn't familiar with him at all but he just looked really cool, idk haha.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Pikachu was the 1st character I used in Brawl and was my main for like a few days, till I swapped to Lucario and he's been my main ever since.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Back in Brawl, my first two Classic playthroughs were with a veteran (Mario) and a newcomer (Dedede). I expect Smash 4 to be similiar. My first playthrough on Classic will likely be Mario, but Little Mac has got to be my first newcomer.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
My first character in Brawl, much like my choices in Melee and 64 was Kirby, which I would always play whenever I went over to someone's house to play (I finally got my own Wii this year lol), however, a friend of mine who played ZSS wanted me to play Ness so we could heal and wreck friends at get-togethers, and I fell in love instantly

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think mine was Ike, but im not sure. Either Ike or Sonic lol.

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
Link. He was the first I picked back in N64, because he was the only one with a sword, and I liked swords. Picked him first in Melee, because by the time I had Melee I had played some LoZ games, and I loved them. And picked him first again in Brawl and P:M. :linkmelee:

Top Bottom