• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First game you cared for a character?

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Games these days are beginning to create a stronger emotional connection between the player and the games' character(s). What was the first game that you've found yourself caring about your virtual personas?

Mine would probably have to be Final Fantasy X. The whole cast was interesting to watch, and included the unforgettable Sir Auron who joined your team. He rivals Solid Snake in badassery. But when you found that
Yuna was to be sacrificed,
I was like: NOOOOOOO!!! :chuckle:

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
The first video game character I cared about was Yoshi in Super Mario World when you had to dismount and sacrifice the poor Yoshi JUST to get to the next platform :'(

I was like 5 when I played it, so I was sad :p

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
It's always been Mario for me. I've always been afraid that this great and happy-go-lucky character might not have any more games, as the creators might run out of ideas. I've heard already that it's being dumbed down.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The first video game character I cared about was Yoshi in Super Mario World when you had to dismount and sacrifice the poor Yoshi JUST to get to the next platform :'(

I was like 5 when I played it, so I was sad :p
and seeing them wiggle to there death :(.

Mines would be FE, the character development in that game is amazing and even seeing one of your units dies causes me to reset. Plus through plot twists and stories the character further develops.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Mine would be Pokemon. 'Cause, you know, you work hard and train the Pokemon, you rely on them all of the time and then by the end of the journey you don't even want to deposit your starter in the box for a second.

Mines would be FE, the character development in that game is amazing and even seeing one of your units dies causes me to reset. Plus through plot twists and stories the character further develops.
I agree with this too. It wasn't the first game (I just played FE for the first time in December last year) I played, but I certainly didn't want to lose any of my units. I didn't lose a single one...or, at least, I never kept it that way. If any of my characters died, I restarted the game. There might as well have been a "Game Over" screen when your character dies, because I wouldn't allow it.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Pokemon
I grow attached to my Team. Hell if pokemon was real i go out there and catch them :)

I swear to god I want a Turtwig plushie...they look so cute

Ace Combat: My Wingman aren't useless. They cover my *** but not much. And don't ask me when i found out Pixie
turns out to be the Final boss in Ace combat Zero

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Final Fantasy VIII for me. Rinoa disappears for all of Disc 3, then comes back at level 12 to join my all-100 team?

First thing I did facing the final boss was kill her. Put her out of her misery, I did. Don't know how I could've shown her I cared any more.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well naturally, I care if any of my Fire Emblem characters die (except for Meg... lol I'm like the Griffons that way.)

But the one whose story really caught my attention was Eliwood, a lord of FE7. (Spoilers)
He goes on a journey to find his father. He then has to go through his father's tragic death, when he dies in Eliwood's arms. Then he accidentally kills a girl he loved (one of 3 potential characters he can marry.) The girl, who is half dragon, does get brought back to life (thankfully), but Eliwood's father remained a casualty of a horrible war.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mine would probably have to be Final Fantasy X.
Final Fantasy X had an interesting story? And the cast was good? I was under the impression that uninspired, lifeless voice acting led to lame characters. Ah, well. Tidus was also annoying.

A game for me? Mario 64. First game, and I wanted to beat Bowser (he scared me... I was like two.)

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I always try my hardest not to die with Mario in his games because he's my favorite video game character. I also get attached to the squads and groups that aid you in some Shooters like Halo, (mainly the Arbiter) COD4, MGS, and many others.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Ohh yea those 12 Demo troopers in Metroid Prime 3

I grew attached to them that i had to restart the game any time they die. Or else the screams will haunt you forever...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
custer's last stand
To demonstrate my knowledge, Custer's last stand was more like a mass slaughter. If you don't know what Custer's last stand is, look it up, and imagine it all in a half our. Half hour does not dictate stand, it dictates slaughter.

As to which game I became emotionally attached... I think I'm in an emotional coma (I just can't cry in the sad parts in movies, I don't know why, those things don't cause me to burst into tears. There are ways to make me cry though, so that means I'm not emotionally dead)

Darkslash

Smash Master
To demonstrate my knowledge, Custer's last stand was more like a mass slaughter. If you don't know what Custer's last stand is, look it up, and imagine it all in a half our. Half hour does not dictate stand, it dictates slaughter.
They were talking about that ******* game. The one where you ****native American women.

But Custer last stand IRL is a slaughter.

EDIT: Added * because the word wasn't censored lol

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Your horse in Shadows of the Colossus. He/she helps you throughout the whole game until
you lose him/her when he/she flings you off the collapsing bridge to fall to his/her death so you can face the last Colossi.

Man I love that game.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
I hate when I'm playing as the Arbiter and my Elites die, but for some reason I don't really care when the humans die.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Your horse in Shadows of the Colossus. He/she helps you throughout the whole game until
you lose him/her when he/she flings you off the collapsing bridge to fall to his/her death so you can face the last Colossi.

Man I love that game.
Totally feelin' you on this. The horse, Agro, is probably my second favorite character of all time, right after Wander, from the same game.

Gut-wrenching, that game is. First and only time I've shed a tear (or two) for a videogame character. :(

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
I hated Whisper. She was all cocky even after I beat her naked and weaponless. I was glad that I got to kill her.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Most likely Link on LoZ LttP.
I couldn't beat Trinexx, and I was severely ticked off.
Mostly that I couldn't beat him, not that Link died.
That was actually funny, and I tried it out in real life.
I was very dizzy, and my head hurt (those of you who have played the game know what I mean).

But.....I don't know.
Maybe Pokemon.
I've had several close calls.
Like beating Red with my level 65 and below team.
The only good Pokemon I had on my team was Lugia, and I didn't know what was super effective.
But none of that has ever really made me feel emotionally attached.

Oh wait.
It wasn't even the main character, it was actually a good guy gone bad.
Then you had to kill him but were beaten to it.
HINT.
Metroid Prime 3.
Rundas.
He was a really cool guy, saved your butt, then you have to turn around and kill him.
That was the suckiest moment in video game history.

There have been many instances of "Aww, come ON!" moments, like Riku choking the crap out of Roxas, Rayquaza getting served by Fox (I was really into Rayquaza and Pokemon), and Sora vs. Sephiroth (First time I ever faced him I got my tail handed to me in 12 seconds).

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon;; I just can't not care about my cute and cuddly creatures.

Fire Emblem;; I can't risk letting one unit die so they're record will be messed up.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Final Fantasy X had an interesting story? And the cast was good? I was under the impression that uninspired, lifeless voice acting led to lame characters. Ah, well. Tidus was also annoying.
You couldn't be more wrong!!! FFX's cast all had their own distinct personalities and were all very complex characters that even Cloud and Sephiroth of FF7 would have to tip their hat to. FFX was one of the first games to fully capture the feeling that every time you turned on the game, you got sucked into their world. It was certainly a great story-telling game. (Then came Bioshock and changed all the rules again :p)

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I honestly can't remember, but Pokemon and Fire Emblem were probably up there...

I was pretty upset when Corinne died in ToS. :"{

zrky

Smash Lol'd
for me it's Halo2 the Arbiter.
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon2, my half-human totodile
in regular Pokemon, my starter
The light blue yoshi in yoshi story

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You couldn't be more wrong!!! FFX's cast all had their own distinct personalities and were all very complex characters that even Cloud and Sephiroth of FF7 would have to tip their hat to. FFX was one of the first games to fully capture the feeling that every time you turned on the game, you got sucked into their world. It was certainly a great story-telling game. (Then came Bioshock and changed all the rules again :p)
Not really. It was pretty much a recycle of the generic FF formula, but this time we got voice acting that wasn't really that good in the first place. You have your lost kid (Tidus), the female with importance to the world (Yuna), the outcast (Kimarhi), and the one with some secret that would piss somebody else in the group off (Rikku).

Don't get me wrong. It was a good game. It was just mediocre by Final Fantasy standards.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Link and Midna from Twilight Princess. That was my 1st Zelda game and also the 1st time I got sucked in a good story.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
Any FE game: A unit dies, I automatically reset
Any LoZ games: Never died in any of them so far. I mean... it's Link. You can't let Link die, it's not right xD
Any Yoshi from Yoshi Story: Yes, I like things that are cute and cuddly, so what.
Donald and Sora from KH I and II: Okay, Donald doesn't really die, but faint. His voice is too **** cute. As for Sora... I don't like it when a main character dies xD

Darkslash

Smash Master
Donald and Sora from KH I and II: Okay, Donald doesn't really die, but faint. His voice is too **** cute. As for Sora... I don't like it when a main character dies xD
Riku can die for all i care.....

R2D2 and Luke In Rouge Squadron series

Every time he screams dead im like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then i crash BUT then Luke is like

"AAAAAAARRRRRHHHGGG"

Though i care for R2 more.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
Riku can die for all i care.....

R2D2 and Luke In Rouge Squadron series

Every time he screams dead im like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then i crash BUT then Luke is like

"AAAAAAARRRRRHHHGGG"

Though i care for R2 more.

Yes, I don't like Riku very much... he's total ****! I don't consider him a main character though.

Top Bottom