• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Generation Pokemon (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm shocked to see that nobody has made a thread yet protaining to these games. They were probably the best in the Pokemon series, in my opinion, and laid the groundwork for what defines the RPG-Breeder genre today.

I recently started playing my Blue version again, upon being the last person on Earth to hear about the Mew glitch (which can be found here. And before somebody says 'OMG H4X1!', its not a hack and it doesn't harm your game).

Right now, my ideal team is a Jolteon, Mewtwo (and in the case of a non-legendary battle I would most likely use Gengar in its place), Hitmonlee, Charizard, Wigglytuff, and Gyrados.

So, what about you guys? How do you guys feel about the old Pokemon games?

hero uey

Smash Cadet
agreed the best games were the old ones. one they had ONE pocket on the backpack so there was a reason to have your own item drop. and yah and glitches were great on that.

mzink*

Smash Ace
yea man i loooved red and blue, still my favorite today. unfortunately i no longer have a gameboy or anything, my lil bro has it. i wish i could play em somtime.

Sariku

Smash Master
I love them as well. My favorite? Eh, not sure. Least favorite? Nah, that is Gold/Silver/Crystal (Though that may change when the Gold and Silver remakes are released...). I love Diamond and Pearl, but that may be because of the features and the possibilties with the multiple Pokemon. But back on Red/Blue/Green/Yellow...

I prefer blue, because Blastoise is a badass. Red was the same, but Blue just blew it out the water. Don't tell me I wasn't the only one to notice ALLLLLLL the many differences in them!

Well, there are more differences than between the two new Mystery Dungeon Games...

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Well my blue game has everything blue expect for trainers... But anyways yeah I love the First Generation. The fourth Gen is the only gen comparible to the first.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well my blue game has everything blue expect for trainers... But anyways yeah I love the First Generation. The fourth Gen is the only gen comparible to the first.
Honestly, I hated the fourth gen. It took everything good about pokemon and ruined it. To me it felt like they actually managed to slow down the already slow pokemon battles. The new pokemon in that game? Mutated old pokemon with new paint jobs.

Nothing original was in that game. Just another example of Nintendo's chronic money-whoring condition.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
Yea the first generation was the best gen by far. It was so original and fun. The pokemon were creative too. Everything was original, from legendaries to the normal ones, just awesome. From the Trekko/Mudkip/Torchic gen on, the pokemon's designs just became weird. It's like they took a crap and whutever the shape of their crap was, they coloured it in and made it a Pokemon. Gameplay got boring too. But the first season was awesome, even the anime was amazing. 2nd gen wit Cyndiquil and Totadile and others was almost as good. Now the new ones, they just disgust me, sorry. I wonder when they'll stop making new ones. Ash's voice also fails now too.

chaotic002

Smash Apprentice
i miss red i played it a lot and i want to play it now but i dont know where it is IM GOING INSANE

diamond is fun but all i usually endup doing is ev train pokes and the actual game itself kind of bores me

i liked it back when everyone was like oh wow you got a charizard or a lvl 100 mewtwo but now gotta catch em all to me does not even seem the right motto for pokemon the rightful motto should be gotta train hatch iv breed battle em all lol too many requirements too get one good pokemon.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, Silver/Gold/Crystal weren't that bad to me. Pokemon were original, it was satisfying to capture the three legendary dogs, and the game pretty much expanded on the first game.

And I got into the third generation (I have about 120 hours on my Sapphire version. I've caught EVERY Pokemon from the Hoenn pokedex, including Jirachi and Deoxys). I also enjoyed capturing the Regiis. It's about time they put in some puzzles in the Pokemon games.

After that though, the series just fell apart. Fire Red and Leaf Green? Money whoring. Diamond and Pearl? Money whoring.

The only good thing thats come lately of Pokemon are the Mystery Dungeon games (I don't like them much myself, but many people do like them).

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I just got back into my Red version. :)
My team sucks, because I started with Bulbasaur again.
Venusaur, Zapdos, Dugtrio, Lapras, Hypno, and Pidgeot.
I don't need Pidgeot.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I just got back into my Red version. :)
My team sucks, because I started with Bulbasaur again.
Venusaur, Zapdos, Dugtrio, Lapras, Hypno, and Pidgeot.
I don't need Pidgeot.
Replace your Pidgeot with a fire type (that's not Moltres as that would make it vunerable to thunder which is common in the first game) and your team would be good to go. Maybe a Flareon which was the second best eeveelution.

XACE-K

Smash Master
First gen is the best hands down. It had the best and most original pokemon. Why do you think most of the fighters for the pokemon series in Smash are first gen?

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Many others may feel that it's the best, but I personally love every new game even more, because they add so many amazing features to the metagame.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Diamond and Pearl added features other than a touch screen and having to clean your badges?!

I never knew that.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
Diamond and Pearl added features other than a touch screen and having to clean your badges?!

I never knew that.
Every new game has added something new to the metagame:

- new pokemon

- night and day

- genders/eggs/breeding

- more interactive/realistic environments

- underwater diving

- EVs/IVs

- natures

There are many more, but I'm too lazy to think about them, or try to list them. I can't wait to see what new things may come in Platinum, or the 5th generation games.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Every new game has added something new to the metagame:

- new pokemon

- night and day

- genders/eggs/breeding

- more interactive/realistic environments

- underwater diving

- EVs/IVs

- natures

There are many more, but I'm too lazy to think about them, or try to list them. I can't wait to see what new things may come in Platinum, or the 5th generation games.
Oh god... you're... an idiot...

New Pokemon- They became unoriginal spam in diamon and pearl. C'mon. There were like ten legendaries.

Night and Day- Gold and Silver

Genders, eggs, and breeding- Gold and Silver

More interactive/realastic environments- the latest actual update in interactivity was the berry trees from ruby/sapphire. And more realism is a given seeing as the technology is getting better (and graphics don't make the game).

EV/IV- Pretty sure that was Ruby and Sapphire but I may be wrong

natures- Ruby and Sapphire.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman

New Pokemon- They became unoriginal spam in diamon and pearl. C'mon. There were like ten legendaries.

More interactive/realastic environments- the latest actual update in interactivity was the berry trees from ruby/sapphire. And more realism is a given seeing as the technology is getting better (and graphics don't make the game).

Don't call me an idiot. I like the new pokemon games. I think that they are 100x better than Red/Blue/Yellow. I like all of these changes to the metagame. The 1st generation was boring, when compared to the 4th generation.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Replace your Pidgeot with a fire type (that's not Moltres as that would make it vunerable to thunder which is common in the first game) and your team would be good to go. Maybe a Flareon which was the second best eeveelution.
I was thinking Arcanine, since I've got a decent leveled Growlithe in my PC.

Spire

III
BRoomer

He was not stating what the 4th Generation added, but rather was stating several aspects that have been added since the 1st Generation. Sorry to name call, but you're a fool for not recognizing that. Stuck in your R/B/G/Y shell, are we? Well I love the 1st Generation more than any of the others, but I have developed respect for each Generation for what they have brought us, despite the obvious repetitive similarities. The future is in the Generations to come, and the 1st will always be the 1st; part of the past. Hopefully the 1st Gen-collective of players will not forget the wonders that it brought, but we must not shun the new Generations, as they continue to expand the Pokemon universe, and again, as repetitive as they seem to be growing as, they do bring us new experiences and memories to keep alive the series.

Would you really be playing SSB64 still if Melee and Brawl were never made? Frankly, no. Sequels are sequels, no matter what series they derive from. Brawl is Melee remade, as Melee was SSB64 remade - conceptually. The subsequent Generations in Pokemon are remakes of the past Generations, but are also similar to the Zelda games. They follow a timeline, but are essentially the same story told in a different way. It's how they revitalize something old to meet the standards of a newer era.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
He was not stating what the 4th Generation added, but rather was stating several aspects that have been added since the 1st Generation. Sorry to name call, but you're a fool for not recognizing that. Stuck in your R/B/G/Y shell, are we? Well I love the 1st Generation more than any of the others, but I have developed respect for each Generation for what they have brought us, despite the obvious repetitive similarities. The future is in the Generations to come, and the 1st will always be the 1st; part of the past. Hopefully the 1st Gen-collective of players will not forget the wonders that it brought, but we must not shun the new Generations, as they continue to expand the Pokemon universe, and again, as repetitive as they seem to be growing as, they do bring us new experiences and memories to keep alive the series.

Would you really be playing SSB64 still if Melee and Brawl were never made? Frankly, no. Sequels are sequels, no matter what series they derive from. Brawl is Melee remade, as Melee was SSB64 remade - conceptually. The subsequent Generations in Pokemon are remakes of the past Generations, but are also similar to the Zelda games. They follow a timeline, but are essentially the same story told in a different way. It's how they revitalize something old to meet the standards of a newer era.
Yeah, yeah. You have a point.

I just don't really see what D/P brought to the table as he suggested. If he can tell me something that actually changed the game (ex: Not the touch screen) then I'll be fine with it.

He can like D/P, but he shouldn't say that he has a reason to like it better when I don't think he does (but he can still feel free to prove me wrong).

x9whitey9x said:
I was thinking Arcanine, since I've got a decent leveled Growlithe in my PC.
Hm... Arcanine or Ninetails would actually be the best now that I think about it. Choose one of those two.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
I like it better, mainly because of how long it takes to beat it. On the way to the Pokemon Leaugue, you have more sidequests to complete, more people to talk to, and different routes to explore. In Red/Blue, it was so simple. You could beat all the gyms and sidequests, talk to every single person in the game, mess around A LOT, and still beat it under 10 hours. I didn't even begin training to defeat the Elite Four, in Diamond, until at least 50-60 hours had passed, because there were so many other fun things to do, that kept catching my attention.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Uhh, EV's technically existed in Gen 1. Just saying.

They were completely different from the later generations though; I believe it was Generation 3 that gave us their current form.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okay, all on good terms now, okay guys? We make this small Pokemon community, so let us war not with one another, but rather embrace the idea development and communication that we have been blessed with by the Smash Gods.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I like it better, mainly because of how long it takes to beat it. On the way to the Pokemon Leaugue, you have more sidequests to complete, more people to talk to, and different routes to explore. In Red/Blue, it was so simple. You could beat all the gyms and sidequests, talk to every single person in the game, mess around A LOT, and still beat it under 10 hours. I didn't even begin training to defeat the Elite Four, in Diamond, until at least 50-60 hours had passed, because there were so many other fun things to do, that kept catching my attention.
Good reason.

So um... I agree with Spire?!

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Should I evolve my Growlithe right off the bat at level 38, or wait until it learns moves that Arcanine can't?

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I loved the original games. Cloyster was viable back then *sad panda*

My team was:
-Venusaur (ALWAYS my starter)
-Cloyster
-Raichu, Jolteon or Electabuzz
-Hitmonlee
-Alakazam (back when Psychic was razamatazz and couldn't be beat EVAR)
-Sandslash

I do like the new moves and strats they inject into the new games, but the last gen was especially lacking. Hopefully they'll get their creative juices pumping again and gives us a good 130 or so new Pokes with some creativity reminiscent of the old games.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't know why people always hate on Venusaur.

Both Charizard and Blastoise can be beat out by other Fire/Water type Pokemon, but Venusaur is pretty much the best Grass.

I think he's the best starter if you were planning to play competitively.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't know why people always hate on Venusaur.

Both Charizard and Blastoise can be beat out by other Fire/Water type Pokemon, but Venusaur is pretty much the best Grass.

I think he's the best starter if you were planning to play competitively.
Venasaur is the best starter, I don't know why people hate on him either. If anything I think Blastoise is probably the worst of the 3.

I would rate Venasaur as #2 in my best starters ever list. Being under only Swampert, the insane beast that he is.(but he doesn't come til later)

~rh

Smash Lord
I don't know why people hate on Venasaur so much either. He's one of the coolest Pokemon out there, 1st Gen and compared to all the other gens.

Noa.

Smash Master
Heck, my favorite starter is Venusaur, and Swampert is a close second. My first level 100 pokemon was Venusaur, and I'm working on a level 100 Swampert.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Actually, Silver/Gold/Crystal weren't that bad to me. Pokemon were original, it was satisfying to capture the three legendary dogs, and the game pretty much expanded on the first game.

And I got into the third generation (I have about 120 hours on my Sapphire version. I've caught EVERY Pokemon from the Hoenn pokedex, including Jirachi and Deoxys). I also enjoyed capturing the Regiis. It's about time they put in some puzzles in the Pokemon games.
I believe Emerald was the first game I fully completed the pokedex. Next being FR/LG then D/P. Out of the clasiccs R/B/Y I didnt really do as I was a noob pokemon player, I did G/S/C really fast though (after FR/LG).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I believe Emerald was the first game I fully completed the pokedex. Next being FR/LG then D/P. Out of the clasiccs R/B/Y I didnt really do as I was a noob pokemon player, I did G/S/C really fast though (after FR/LG).
I think RBY were the second hardest to do a speed run on (GSC being the first because there were 16 gym battles). I don't know why, but that game always seems to take me a long time.

Top Bottom