• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Match You Ever Saw

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, what was the first pro match you ever watched? What were your initial reactions?

Mine was Mango vs. Mew2king at SCSA West Coast Circuit #4 WF.

Pretty sure my initial thoughts were: "Holy ****! How do they move so fast?? This has to be sped up. How are they just sliding around the stage like that? Why the hell are they jumping so much? What drugs did these characters take?!?"

smopup

Smash Journeyman

This is the earliest one I can remember. The whole thing blew my mind and sparked a healthy Ken/Isai obsession that lasted for awhile. The off stage stuff happening at 0:26 will forever be embedded in my mind.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't remember but I think it was a M2K combo vid or something because I remember a black Marth chaingrabbing a Fox and a green Fox chaingrabbing a Fox

I wasn't impressed lol

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Pretty sure its one of the old GAUNTLET vids from Omnigamer's DC++ dump. Probably Kubuu v Mofo or something.

At least thats what I think it was. Its hard to remember; I downloaded a bunch at once. Isai v Ken and H2YL early days (Azen, Anden, Mild, Chillin, etc) were also in there.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
m2k shiz

i knew about advanced tech since middle school but i never bothered watching a match until 2009 lol

The first thing I ever saw was a camera recorded game of Captain Falcon vs Fox on Yoshi's Story. The camera briefly ran out of juice halfway through the match then somehow magically had enough to start recording again and captured Falcon winning. I haven't the slightest idea who those players could be

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
the youtuber/competitive pokémon battler blackblastoise's friendlies vs. his brother and co. he uploaded somewhere in 2012. I been subbed to him for a while and he uploaded those melee vids and they blew my mind the first time I saw it. I got instantly hooked.

Those missed L-cancels were still far too pro for me.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
first match i saw away a bombsoilder one vs a link ( aniki i believe ) who knows...but first vids i ever say was the old DBR ones which made me love doc and link

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
The old ken vs isai vids. I also remember a buncha vids hosted on some italian site a looooooooong ass time ago with stuff like azen vs anden and some other players on it.

strawhats

Smash Master
cobol vs lambchops set from 2006, and forward (falco) vs taj (m2) on FD. I was like why are these characters moving on some DBZ ****...awsome.

Malote

Smash Cadet
Ken vs Isai on Yoshi's Story, from MOAST3. I got it from an italian page dedicated to melee (tough I'm from Mexico)

I think it was ssbm.it or something like that. This was around 2006, and I remember I thought it was a "meh" match.
Then I saw Ken vs Isai on Pokemon Stadium, and that one blew my mind! Oh my god those combos from Isai were awesome!

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't remember the specific matches that I first watched, but what I do remember is that back in the pre-YouTube days it was a huge pain in the ass for me to even find good matches; never stopped me from looking all the time though. I didn't know Smashboards existed at the time which would have made things a lot easier for young me, but I remember scouring the various video sites of the day with any search I could think of to get me some Melee matches.

Ken, Isai, Azen, Chu, Chillen, pretty much anything that DBR was putting out, Bombsoldier, Captain Jack, the list goes on.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
My brother let me tag along to his friend's house and they some of his people were doing Falco dittos/ Marth vs Sheik. I looked over at my brother and said "When the **** did this game get so fast? What's happening?". Went home and searched up 'Competitive SSBM'. First result was from RoM, Shiz vs M2K....what else O.O

First related video was 'Wombo Combo'

I was already resolute on picking Melee up after watching Shiz vs M2K, but Wombo Combo sealed the deal for me.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
The captain jack vs ikki match labeled "2 top players 2004 - dk vs fox", aka the match where CJ ****s ikki with the cargo combo on fd with some remix of Paranoia in the background lol. Couldn't fathom how fast they were moving

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone been able to play a match against someone they saw in their first glimpse at competitive melee? Like if the first match you saw was PC Chris vs Germ (just a random example, don't know if they ever fought) maybe you played PC Chris in friendlies a few years later. If so, talk about your experiences with that.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Well, I've always wanted to play M2K, and he was actually here in Georgia, at one point. I never got to play against him though, as there were always so many damn people in line/he was always in warm-up mode and only really wanted to play good folks. :/

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbanHQJyqI

Ken vs Husband. I remember watching this when i was like, 9, and thinking how godly Ken was at this game and wishing i could move like that. I remember Seeing him double jump after the Ganon's down b in air and I flipped my lid.

Then i watched more Vids of him and he inspired me to play Marth over Ganon.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
Saw Wombo Combo.

Then I looked up ss tang vs zhu lucky.

I found it more interesting than shocking/exciting to see this game be played like this for the first time since I play various fighters competitively and found it interesting how much dedication of decade old meta game has been put into this game.

Then I ended up watching the East Vs. West Crew battle from like 2005 or something. Smiled at Samus being viable.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The azen comeback. I remember showing it to my friends in an attempt to get them into competitive melee when I was younger. Also remember them saying if it was lightning melee.

Top Bottom