• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fixing this place up

Veril

Frame Savant
We've got several groups working as a part of the wbr.

Brawl+ still needs a restricted access area for discussion and voting on sensitive topics. Otherwise we'll have to continue using the GSH2 group, a really flawed method since any mod can access that... The same could be said for B-, BBrawl, and Melee 2.0.

Most of these threads are crap. The character discussion sub-forum here is a vestigial limb that should be converted to some useful purpose. The brawl+ team does not need it.

Anyway, with that out of the way. S***'s gonna be sick with all this new talent. Collaboration ftw!

The Cape

Smash Master
Why does Brawl+ need a restricted access area to discuss things? This is all about collaboration and all the projects should be able to use each other's ideas. We are already removed from the public domain which is of the people that have not shown that they have the capabilities to make good appeal on this information. Keep the votes to a PM (and I encourage the other projects to do the same) but the discussion need not be hidden from other groups, just more organized than it is now.

We can also enact a rule where if you are caught on distroing any info from the WBR to the public (which happened in the past) that that person is immediately removed from the WBR permanently. Thats an easy fix. Balanced Brawl and Brawl+ got this far borrowing ideas from each other and has made both projects a good deal better in every way and thats how this should stay. Keep the creativity flowing and the ideas bouncing between different mindsets of different people to create the best possible project.

Cia

das kwl
I kinda agree with Cape. Many of the projects have a common goal of balance (not entirely sure about brawl-) and something suggested for brawl+ might not work out so well in that particular area, but may help other projects.

Glad to be able to help out back here now =]

edit: also, i'm not sure if I should make it, but shouldn't there be a thread back here for brawl+ suggestions?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It needs division in my opinion because it's going to be messy running four projects in one place. This also has the problem currently where Brawl+ basically runs the whole section, other projects have one thread. Yes, if you wish to borrow/share between the projects, you could easily go to the other subforum. It's not for separation reasons, it's for organization reasons.

Unless I've got it all wrong lol.

The Cape

Smash Master
The way I read it was to put Brawl+ in a password protected area. Which is bad.

Different subforums is good.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
The idea for having different subforums has been tossed about quite a bit actually, though only among us lower leaders, not with any admins yet, because we've been too busy getting our members situation straightened out, as well as exactly which major project groups there were going to be. Now that that's over with I'm going to be sending a message to JV about it, to see what he says and where he wants to go from here.

Here's how I'd like for you guys to operate in the meantime: I will let each project (Brawl+, coding, PAL conversion, BBrawl, Brawl-, and Project:M) make a stickied 'home' discussion topic. This will function sort of like your project hub, I guess. You can use it for general discussion about each project, and I would recommend keeping a list of important links to information or other topic-specific threads in the OP, to make it easy to find things and keep down on the clutter while we're all sharing the same space. We can discuss the creation of 'global' topics, things like code archives and file locations, or shared project files, at a later date. For now, I'd like each project lead and AA and BPC to make a thread for their groups/projects.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Project:M uses the Brawlplus.net forum section for a lot of our threads already, so I don't know if it really needs to be here, except that this board is less buggy and doesn't eat topics for breakfast.

But I'll go where I need to lol.

Password protecting things is silly though.
-DD

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Welcome, new members!

On the subject of boards, someone on the P:M boards has leaked some of our stuff, though, which I do not appreciate.

I completely agree that there is no need to password protect anything back here. Votes could/should be handled by PM or by using an external password-protected poll site. I think a lot of good could come from interactions and advice between projects.

For example, even though we may not know the exact balance problems of a whole project (I've never played BBrawl), given a specific problem move / scenario, our knowledge of how moves usually should work and additional coding expertise might just produce a better solution than that project alone would have settled on... and I think this is exactly what we were striving for in opening up the WBR.

(Also, what is DLC?)

The Cape

Smash Master
Downloadable Content = DLC

Something such as textures, stages, characters and the like. Things that the player may add to their game for their own enjoyment that has been run through us for quality (but not neccesarily for competitive play).

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Also, I thought Kryal might be granted WBR access given everything he's done and continues to do with BrawlBox.... no? Did he not apply?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
He actually didn't apply...I would've liked to invite him though.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
o.o I don't think he'd do much in the WBR anyways. All he does is make BrawlBox. It looks to me he just took this on as a coding challenge, not so much as to create Brawl stuff.

At least that's the impression I get from him.

xD I guess I'm part of the DLC Team for textures/models/stuff or something, I guess...and I'm workin' pretty hardcore on ProjectM.

-DD

Kaotical

Smash Ace
EDIT: I didn't notice the topic that was posted to all the new WBroomers with the "team list" on it, lol. Need to keep my eyes open... >_>

As for the boards: I agree that the character discussion section (the official one) has had next to no activity. It needs to be revamped or removed, preferably the latter. Are there going to be a lot more sub-forums being made in the future, or is what we have the entirety of it?

NNID
Budget_Player
I kinda agree with Cape. Many of the projects have a common goal of balance (not entirely sure about brawl-) and something suggested for brawl+ might not work out so well in that particular area, but may help other projects.

Glad to be able to help out back here now =]

edit: also, i'm not sure if I should make it, but shouldn't there be a thread back here for brawl+ suggestions?
Brawl- has balance planned. "Balance through equal imbalance" I suppose you could say.

The problem with me is, I don't have that much to offer other than ****loads of free time and a lot of open space in my mind to learn stuff. I've been using both pretty nicely on Brawl-. :V

shanus

Smash Hero
No need for password protection at all, that's just being paranoid.

People know their respective duties, and should know their bounds. Having separate areas defeats the purpose of a unified WBR and probably idea sharing as well.

Subforums would be nice though, for sure.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
Im currently a mod of the gw boards for vbrawl, i check it but it doesn't really require all that much work. I'd be more than happy to help the current mods here (veril, bsonic, etc) try to organize things, if i get my modship moved here. Anyone opposed to that?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm not opposed at all, but SWF has no head of staffing, so I'm not sure adding you as a mod would be anytime soon. xD

I recommended Veril as mod because I'm not involved as much in Brawl+ as I am involved in the Workshop overall and act as a Workshop proxy, and he can cover the B+ forefront and if things seem questionable I can ask him for a second opinion since he does have a good handle on making decisions. However, if I have to go out of town or need help, I can pretty much trust him to take over the Workshop mod job.

I mentioned to JV this evening that Yeroc wanted to speak with him, by the way, so hopefully we'll see progress on the WBR made sooner than later.

Top Bottom