• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I thought there were still 4 frames of landing lag...
Maybe 'practically no landing lag' = only 4 frames... which is normal at all heights, not just 'perfectly space', isn't it?
Yeah, he means the four frames. Just doesn't work from the ground. But done too high still leaves you open- he is a floaty after all, getting to the ground takes time that might as well be considered lag. I assume that all is what he we talking about.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
Afaik, it's because the move has 4 frames of landing lag in the air, but much more on the ground, so you have to space it so that he lands during the ending animation, which gets you the shorter air landing lag. If he lands during the teleport itself, you'll get the ground endlag, which is a lot more.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So I've recently got to try out some pm mewtwo nonsense....and its what I always wanted lol. I'm still really bad with him, cause I haven't gotten used to his crazy new float stuff and crazy teleport shenanigans. Which btw I think I jumped the gun a bit with thinking being able to act out of up b would be broken. I mean its good, but he can't jump or air dodge out of it, so he can't do anything too stupid out of it. Also link I feel is a hard match up for mewtwo. All that projectile nonsense makes it really hard to get in on him, but once you do you can sweep him off the stage pretty easily, dat bair is so good.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
So I've recently got to try out some pm mewtwo nonsense....and its what I always wanted lol. I'm still really bad with him, cause I haven't gotten used to his crazy new float stuff and crazy teleport shenanigans. Which btw I think I jumped the gun a bit with thinking being able to act out of up b would be broken. I mean its good, but he can't jump or air dodge out of it, so he can't do anything too stupid out of it. Also link I feel is a hard match up for mewtwo. All that projectile nonsense makes it really hard to get in on him, but once you do you can sweep him off the stage pretty easily, dat bair is so good.

Yeah, matchups against zoners are super hard with Mewtwo, but they're doable, you just have to be very patient. Nothing either Mewtwo or the zoner characters have things that can hard counter each other.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Falco's jumpsquat is definitely 5 also. You're thinking the frame on which they are airborne, which is 6 for both. The jumpsquat for both of them is 5 frames long.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No worries.

I hope they reduce it to four a la SDR MewTwo, it's a small change that goes pretty far.
Also for selfish reasons because I'm more used to 4 frame characters lol.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
He is heavier than he was in Melee right now but we are still in the process of nailing down his final weight before release.

His jumpsquat time is unchanged from Melee.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
That makes sense, he needs to be a little heavier, but making making him yoshi weight seems to be a little much. For frame of reverence, yoshi in NTSC melee weighed 108 and was the 5th heaviest character, while mewtwo weighed at 85. With roy and young link, they made up the 17th through 19th part of the weight bracket.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Thought so about the Teleport.
Some people sure did a good duplicate+enhancement job...
Gooooood stuff.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
From what I heard yeah. Was he really light in PAL? 4 frames would not be my favorite. I like Falco too much. However, 4 frames in Melee does mean 5 frames in Project M, so that's not so bad.
4 frames of jumpstart in melee is still 4 in project m. The short hop window extends into the last frame of jumpstart in project m whereas in melee it was all of jumpstart minus the last frame. But 4 frame jumpstart animation is the same thing in both games, 5 is the same in both games.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
imo, Mewtwo should be somewhere in the top 10 heaviest characters. he can have the Samus thing going on; heavy + floaty seems the best bet... since he's fricken heavy in the Pokémon games lol

easier to kill off the top than to the sides.

a lot of promising feedback above.

too bad Teleport will still have punishable startup though

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Guys I just realized
Mewtwo is one of the new clone characters
and in the show and games and stuff
he's aLSO A CLONE

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Mewtwo weighs 269 lbs in the games

Which according to this thing I found is 122 kg

And since the values listed above make more sense as kg, Mewtwo should weigh 122 in Smash.

Just my 2 cents

In summary, Make Mewtwo Fat.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Mewtwo weighs 269 lbs in the games

Which according to this thing I found is 122 kg

And since the values listed above make more sense as kg, Mewtwo should weigh 122 in Smash.

Just my 2 cents

In summary, Make Mewtwo Fat.
When I was working on my project, I made his weight 109, which is the same weight as Ganon. I personally think that would be way too heavy for a character with recovery as good as Mewtwo's. He wouldn't die until ridiculously high % on stages that have even moderately large walls. I honestly don't know what weight he should be though. It's a good thing the PMBR is taking care of it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
yeah 122 kg is a bit too heavy even if it would be accurate.

I would say 109 or 110 could work. he's pretty bulky, but shouldn't be heavier than DK, DDD or Boozer lol

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's teleport is the same as in Melee + you can attack out of it.

lol

May as well give a certain ****ing annoying character a playstyle that revolves around one move that cancels into goddamn everything and makes them look like the crown jewel in a crown made out of trash and turn off everyone who sees this guy played from wanting to play PM. Evar.

..............oh.

I suppose Mewtwo shall be the successor of ****ty character design then!

(Can Ness be next after Mewtwo is released then inevitably nerfed after Wizzrobes cousin comes in and shows the world the atrocity that is PM Mewtwo? It's not hard really just copy and paste Ness from SD Remix 1.0. He probably wouldn't be that bad though just ****ing annoying so you would probably want to give him like oh.....I dunno let's say 5 frames of invincibility from startup on all of his moves. That might be enough to bring him to 2.5 Sonic and PM Mewtwo's levels.)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

lol

May as well give a certain ****ing annoying character a playstyle that revolves around one move that cancels into goddamn everything and makes them look like the crown jewel in a crown made out of trash and turn off everyone who sees this guy played from wanting to play PM. Evar.

..............oh.

(Can Ness be next after Mewtwo is released then inevitably nerfed after Wizzrobes cousin comes in and shows the world the atrocity that is PM Mewtwo? It's not hard really just copy and paste Ness from SD Remix 1.0. He probably wouldn't be that bad though just ****ing annoying so you would probably want to give him like oh.....I dunno let's say 5 frames of invincibility from startup on all of his moves. That might be enough to bring him to 2.5 Sonic and PM Mewtwo's levels.)

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman

lol

..............oh.

As a Melee Mewtwo main, it's laughable how wrong this is. It's super awesome that they gave him a long range move that can be attacked out of, but it's in no way even close to broken. You know why? Because it's Mewtwo's aerials and attacks. Heck, even his teleport looks safer and quicker than it actually is. Why don't you try to competitively pick up Melee Mewtwo and then seriously ask yourself how any of the changes they made to PM Mewtwo will be broken in any way.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
in Melee it's a "fast move that can be used to get out of tough situations" and it isn't even that fast. when people learn to not be afraid of you Teleporting even mixing up where you go is only semi safe... at the very least it's faster than Sheik/Zelda's up b though lol

an 8 frame Teleport would be amazing in a traditional fighter. but in smash, if you try to Teleport OoS and they know you're going to, most of the nairs in the game can stop you. *shrugs*

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Popped in Melee for the first time in a while and checked for the eye glow. Surprisingly, it is there. It's only on a small number of attacks though, and it isn't much of a glow, but rather a flicker.

Let's discuss what the best way to configure our controllers is now that we have hover. Since we have to hold jump to hover, and we use the control stick to move Mewtwo, we are probably going to need to use the c-stick to input aerials during the hover to better control space. So should we be thinking about assigning a shoulder button to jump or something like that? If we don't we're going to have to claw, which will be annoying mid-match.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Popped in Melee for the first time in a while and checked for the eye glow. Surprisingly, it is there. It's only on a small number of attacks though, and it isn't much of a glow, but rather a flicker.

Let's discuss what the best way to configure our controllers is now that we have hover. Since we have to hold jump to hover, and we use the control stick to move Mewtwo, we are probably going to need to use the c-stick to input aerials during the hover to better control space. So should we be thinking about assigning a shoulder button to jump or something like that? If we don't we're going to have to claw, which will be annoying mid-match.

Just holding the controller right now it seems like you can just do aerials but pressing the a button with the middle of your thumb while holding jump. Besides that I don't think my control scheme will suffer much, as I'm using R to jump with tap to jump off. It's personally more comfortable that way because I only use L for shielding and L-cancelling anyway.

Paradoxium

Smash Master

lol

..............oh.

Its ok buddy, just let it out, nice and easy

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Just holding the controller right now it seems like you can just do aerials but pressing the a button with the middle of your thumb while holding jump. Besides that I don't think my control scheme will suffer much, as I'm using R to jump with tap to jump off. It's personally more comfortable that way because I only use L for shielding and L-cancelling anyway.
pressing A to attack requires a directional input, which is a bigger deal for mewtwo than peach since he can move in every direction while hovering. You'll lose some of your desired movement direction by dedicating the control stick to that time for the aerial. I changed my L button to jump and have started practicing using it to float as peach so come time for mewtwo I'll have separated the muscle memory for floating/hovering from that of jumping, so I can just use cstick to do aerials.

Top Bottom