• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FMOI and Glyph present War of the Roses. DABUZ IS THE CHAMP!

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Ggs last night FM, Though you could probably tell I was out of it, seeing as how I lost every single match

Shogun_Fox

Smash Ace
@Fatmanonice

Don't worry about Shino. He's a pretty good player and one of my close friends. He may look like a noob but he's not. I just told him to sign up and sign up for the tournament so that the spots would get filled. Also his other account errored so he had to make a new one anyway. i'll make sure he shows up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
@Fatmanonice

Don't worry about Shino. He's a pretty good player and one of my close friends. He may look like a noob but he's not. I just told him to sign up and sign up for the tournament so that the spots would get filled. Also his other account errored so he had to make a new one anyway. i'll make sure he shows up.
I don't judge people but the usual trend is that people who sign up tend to decide whether or not they are going to be long term members after about 2 weeks because those that don't usually just become bored and leave. I signed him up, by the way.

fmoi i want to fight you then get my ike critiqued
My FC is in my profile. I'll fight you using Ike.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
well i think i completely ****ed up i can even get 2 hits with out ****ing diying
That's because Ike is extremelly easy to predict if you play too aggressively with him. This is what I noticed:

1. You don't grab.
2. You don't really attack with aerials.
3. You use aether and eruption at seemingly random times.
4. You fully charge fsmashes even when I'm standing still and not even coming at you.
5. You don't jab.
6. You use counter way too much.
7. You use quickdraw more than you should.

Suggestions:

1. Grabbing is important with everyone. It might as well be called "counter" because that's essentially what you use it for most characters. Like I showed you in our matches, very easy set ups can be done with Ike's dthrow and bthrow. Dthrow into aether, dthrow into a short hopped uair, dthrow into nair, dthrow into a charged smash, etc. Bthrow into quickdraw, bthrow into a short hopped bair, etc.

2. Except for his nair, Ike's aerials have a lot of landing lag but they are still important. The range of Ike's fair is crazy and is a relatively safe move when playing against people who don't have very many ranged attacks. Using the cstick to do retreating fairs is a good tactic. Nairs are good for approaches and if your opponent is close by because it has very little landing lag and can easily be followed up by something else.

3. These attacks are situational at best so reserve for times that call for them. For example, eruption can be used to edgeguard people with predictible recoveries.

4. Fsmash is retardedly slow. It's the second slowest smash attack in the game and has a ton of ending lag. Whiff and your opponent pretty much gets a free hit. Use it sparingly. Ike is powerful enough to kill with his fair, bair, utilt, ftilt, etc so use those as alternatives. Also, dsmash is garbage, try not to even do it in a match unless it's really necessecary.

5. Jabs are essentially Ike's bread and butter. A good Ike will probably get 25-50% of the damage he does per stock with this move alone. Great range, great knockback... probably Ike's best move overall.

6. Counter is also situational. The most you used it in a row was five and most of the time I easily countered it by grabbing. If I had been playing as Toon Link, Zelda, or Falco (ie; people who don't have to fully rely on physical attacks) you would have been very lucky if any of them had landed. Save them for oppurtune moments.

7. Truth be told, quickdraw is a terrible attack. If it whiffs, you're left wide open which is never a good then and it can easily be shielded. It's best used for mobility. It it doesn't hit, you can easily set up jabs and tilts because it has close to no landing lag (if it doesn't hit anything). I even used it to edgehog in a few of our matches.

That's basically it unless I can come up with anything else.

Shogun_Fox

Smash Ace
Hey FM...think you could go a couple of rounds with me? I think i already have you added on my wii unless you deleted me. I'm gonna try and use ike.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I'm open for playing anyone until 11:00 tonight, afterwhich I won't be exception matches because I am going to a Renaissance Faire in Pennsylvania and I need to wake up at 4:15 AM to be ready.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
i basicaly cant do anything then
****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! remove me please
i seriously hate brawl now
Don't worry, I've played far worse Ikes. At least you didn't hopelessly spam his specials and smash attacks. Really, it just takes practice to get better. Play a ton of different people and learn new strategies. If someone uses something that dominates you in your play, try to adapt it into your own playstyle. Most of the stuff I do I learned from other people and just screwing around in training mode.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ike is one of those characters you can't play straight forward as. He's like Yoshi, Bowser, and Shiek; you have to put more thought into your attacks than most characters because you'll get the crap kicked out of you if you just rush in. This is why most people who try to pick up these characters usually fail miseribly and are given the usual "oh, well, they just suck" excuse for when they do bad.

Top Bottom